• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted Collection demo up in PS Store Worldwide

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I'll never understand the love for 60fps, it's an absolutely terrible trade off. So happy ND went with 30fps for UC4, the game looks stunning and it would not look anywhere near that at 60fps. I don't know, people on this forum make it that liking 30 over 60fps means the person has a mental disaability, in the real world I know lots of people that prefer 30fps. For TV shows as well it's so distracting, like everything is going at double the speed.

A PC gamer will tell you that you can have both. Personally as a mostly console gamer I understand the limitation of the console hardware and realise its necessary trade-off, but I would have 60 FPS in every game if I could. I really only get up in arms about the issue when it's as bad as AC: Unity, that game has the framerate of a Powerpoint presentation.

bombshell

That's actually pretty short per game

Doesn't affect me too much since I'm paying for the collection which is like paying for one game and getting 3, which totals to about 30+ hours.

However, I kinda hope uncharted 4 is longer

I feel like those times for a first playthrough are without much exploration after treasures or for rushing. I'm pretty sure that for my first playthrough I used double those times.

You're worried about this?
Uncharted4SANDBAGS.gif

This "30fps is unplayable" nonsense is just.. . nonsense. The Order 1886 was 30fps and yet that controlled fine, if not as good as 60fps games. The latency people talk about with 30fps is nearly indistinguishable. Not to mention, UC4 looks magnitudes better than UC2/3 remastered.
2886631-9456827517-ocbru.gif

I'll take 30fps all day every day when the games look this good.

TitusTroy

I'm mainly a PC guy so I'm wondering why the Drake Collection is being released on a Friday?...is this normal for PS4 games?

Scrawnton

Tried it lastnight, but I don't like that it's 60fps. Looks weird to me compared to the originals and how 4 looks to be. I know I'm crazy for this, but since the originals were not above 30, and the new one next year won't be above 30, why would they bother making this 60 when it's going to ruin the feel of the games that are not in the collection?

Nameless

The Demo took a gash out of my hype for this. Gameplay feels like TLOU:Arcade, the A.I. isn't that fun to play against, and the traversal mechanics might as well be QTE segments. Love these kinds of adventures, though(and Naughty Dog), so I'll still grab it, but it's looking more like a sale game instead of a Day 1 purchase.

Granted I played this at 2:00am after a particularly shitty day, so I'll give it another shot

You're worried about this?
Uncharted4SANDBAGS.gif

This "30fps is unplayable" nonsense is just.. . nonsense. The Order 1886 was 30fps and yet that controlled fine, if not as good as 60fps games. The latency people talk about with 30fps is nearly indistinguishable. Not to mention, UC4 looks magnitudes better than UC2/3 remastered.
2886631-9456827517-ocbru.gif

I think people really underestimate how well-done motion blur can help make 30fps a much smoother experience than it otherwise would be. Motion blur is how film gets away with 24fps, people.

Pachimari

Can someone explain the different feel between 30 and 60fps in this demo? I don't feel any difference at all, but then again, I almost can't see any difference between 30 and 60.

dEvAnGeL

is good that we are getting the uncharted games at 60 but make no mistake, i truly prefer uncharted 4 at 30 and pushing for awesome presentation as they did on the ps3 with the previous games

danmaku

Tried it lastnight, but I don't like that it's 60fps. Looks weird to me compared to the originals and how 4 looks to be. I know I'm crazy for this, but since the originals were not above 30, and the new one next year won't be above 30, why would they bother making this 60 when it's going to ruin the feel of the games that are not in the collection?

TLoU had the option to lock the framerate at 30. The correct answer should be: fuck graphics, make 4 at 60 sweet fps.

Nameless

It is on higher difficulties for me, especially in the more open areas in which you can make great use of Drake's agility and versatility.

Hopefully that's it. TLOU felt like a different game in the worst way on normal. Also good hear there are open environments.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Playes the demo last night. Was great. Aiming is fantastic in the demo and the best the series has ever had. I didn't even have to think about it basically. Aim was just going where I wanted it to without any adjusting. compensating, anything. I have to admit though, that for whatever reason, the look of 60FPS smoothness (to my eyes) was a better fit to TLOU than it is here. Don't ask me to explain why, I can't.

I think people really underestimate how well-done motion blur can help make 30fps a much smoother experience than it otherwise would be. Motion blur is how film gets away with 24fps, people.
Motion blur is half of it. Ideally the game should have as low input latency as possible too. That goes a long way to removing the sluggishness that people complain about 30FPS games. Destiny and Order 1886 have input lag that's lower than some 60FPS games even.

TLoU had the option to lock the framerate at 30. The correct answer should be: fuck graphics, make 4 at 60 sweet fps.
What a rubbish idea. Screw 60 fps on consoles and the shit graphics that come along with it. The only games that should be 60 fps on consoles are fps, SIM racing, and fighting games.

Drake got shot around 10 times behind those rice bags :D

actually if you really look none of the tracers/bullets are going through the bags and hitting Drake, they are all missing him.

I've actually noticed that Drake hasn't been hit once in any demo, yet his health meter is dropping, so the only time he gets hit with a bullet is when the health meter drops to zero and he dies.

Ricky_R

The correct answer should be: fuck graphics, make 4 at 60 sweet fps.

For you.

I like 60 fps as much as the next guy, but I wouldn't want ND to sacrifice what they've achieved with Uncharted 4 for it.

actually if you really look none of the tracers/bullets are going through the bags and hitting Drake, they are all missing him.

I've actually noticed that Drake hasn't been hit once in any demo, yet his health meter is dropping, so the only time he gets hit with a bullet is when the health meter drops to zero and he dies.

That's right, but most of those are going over the rice bags as well. The ones that went through the bags didn't catch Drake's advanced body system.
I don't care though. I was just kidding. ;)

Z3M0G

The 30fps lock in The Last of Us Remastered was awful. It was full of judder.

That's 30fps.

Not just the 30fps. Must of been a frame timing issue or something. Felt like the 30fps you get in some PC titles, full of judder.

Not sure what the cause was. The only tarnesh on an otherwise perfect game.

When you switch from a higher framerate to a lower framerate, the brain is over-sensitive to judder for a few minutes... I first noticed this when I was doing 120hz vs 60hz tests with TVs and BluRay movies... swapping back and forth to see which one I prefer doesn't really work unless I wait 5-10 minutes and then decide what I think. Because all you see is a juddery mess for the first few minutes, but after a little time it is fine since your brain compensates and smooths things down.

I wonder how many people even realize this... don't trust your eyes for the first few minutes after bumping down the FPS on anything.

Dyno

MGSV proves - once again - that 60 fps is special, wonderful, and should be the industry standard. If an open world game like MGSV can look as crisp, detailed, and smooth as it does at 60 fps then there is no excuse.

Love me some Uncharted but 60 fps standard is pushed back yet another gen with their industry leading choices. Our consoles get more powerful but that flickering frame rate has remained the same.

Ricky_R

When you switch from a higher framerate to a lower framerate, the brain is over-sensitive to judder for a few minutes... I first noticed this when I was doing 120hz vs 60hz tests with TVs and BluRay movies... swapping back and forth to see which one I prefer doesn't really work unless I wait 5-10 minutes and then decide what I think. Because all you see is a juddery mess for the first few minutes, but after a little time it is fine since your brain compensates and smooths things down.

I wonder how many people even realize this... don't trust your eyes for the first few minutes after bumping down the FPS on anything.

I remember people saying that they played TLOU:R at 60 fps and switched to the PS3 version on the fly and didn't experience the same judder.

Can't really confirm this though. I do remember the disparity when I switched to 30 fps within the Remaster.

MGSV proves - once again - that 60 fps is special, wonderful, and should be the industry standard. If an open world game like MGSV can look as crisp, detailed, and smooth as it does at 60 fps then there is no excuse.

Love me some Uncharted but 60 fps standard is pushed back yet another gen with their industry leading choices. Our consoles get more powerful but that flickering frame rate has remained the same.
Mgsv looks rubbish. It's really not a good looking game at all. Decent looking character models but that's it. Foliage and most environments looks like trash and unbelievable pop in, a criminal sin for any game that claims to have good graphics.

BadAss2961

The Demo took a gash out of my hype for this. Gameplay feels like TLOU:Arcade, the A.I. isn't that fun to play against, and the traversal mechanics might as well be QTE segments. Love these kinds of adventures, though(and Naughty Dog), so I'll still grab it, but it's looking more like a sale game instead of a Day 1 purchase.

Granted I played this at 2:00am after a particularly shitty day, so I'll give it another shot
First time playing Uncharted? Be sure to start on hard if you think the AI is too simple.

The demo was pretty cool, but I do have one minor niggle with it. That zooming animation on all the pickups is just really distracting to me for whatever reason.

I wonder if Drake is as OCD as he was in the originals (most notably U3) anytime I'd be remotely near a wall he'd reach his hands out and feel it. It's a nice little attention to detail but U3 did this constantly. It's like he was blind or something.

Griss

Playing it again the gameplay now feels more dated than the visuals, to be honest.

Drake feels floaty, a feeling only exacerbated by the 60fps refresh rate. The gun play and enemy encounters are loose and unsatisfying. We've had a long time to get used to games giving us tons of cutscenes, and honestly games are moving away from that kind of cinematic direction these days. The climbing is still fun, but it's just as rote as Assassin's Creed - it's not like you can screw it up unless you're trying. The only difficulty is determining where's the interactable point where you should start your climb, from their it's obvious.

UC2 is still a great game, but it's a product of its time, and if Naughty Dog wants to have success with UC4 then I think there'll need to be some serious changes to the formula. Bigger levels (especially for enemy encounters), more involved climbing, more involved gameplay set-pieces, more enemy types and more solid gunplay. I have every faith that they know that and will deliver, though.

Is this demo timed or has any restrictions on it?

I just started Final Fantasy X and just wondering I'd I could save this for a couple of weeks or do I need to play it in a certain time frame.

The game looks really great, surprisingly so. I want to see the snow levels in crisp 1080p. Oddly I found it difficult to pull off head shots. Either the AI changed their movement behaviour or it's the 60fps that I'm not used to. Or it could be the sensitivity.

Either way the game is great, I want to try U3, I'm curious if they balanced the encounters better as there were too many armoured units and rocket launchers.

Completely forgot Bluepoint Games were involved in this collection. They do a fantastic job with a very proven track record.

MGS
Shadow/Ico
God of War
Flower (alongside thatgamecompany)

And they're based right here in Austin Texas!

Shin-Ra

This is not true at all.
If he keeps repeating bullet sponge enemies (multiple hits to the head even!) the gullible might just believe him!

I think this really needs a 30 fps lock with better and softer shadows. I would love to have this option like in TLOU: Remastered.
I think shadow quality's excellent actually, far better than TLoU:R, even with that set to 30fps.

Ah yeah, forgot to point out Photo Mode is weird. Framerate is jarring and for some reason when you activate vignette or film grain the image becomes darker/blurrier, don't know how to describe it exactly.
If you have any of the filter effects turned on, even at a low %, adding a vignette or grain has that incorrect effect.

I played the demo and it looks stunning. 1080p, 60 FPS and a smooth edges make for a god like image quality. Bluepoint have done a superb job yet again.
It's no Tearaway Unfolded (god like IQ) but excellent compared to even most 30fps games (FXAA) and 60fps remasters so far. It looks like SMAA 1x. As it's applied post-depth of field, it can't smooth edges already blurred by that.

Liamario

Banned
I enjoyed the demo, but it didn't make me want to buy the full game. I've played the Uncharted 1-3 too many times i guess.

Can't wait for U4 though.

Exact same for me. Was really looking forward to this collection, but then playng the demo put me off getting it. Have played the series to death and while I'd love to play them again, it still felt far too fresh in my head from the last time I played them.

teokrazia

Gameplay wise though this has not aged well.

Ye.
Uncharted 2 is my fav of the series and among my fav TPS and this demo almost ruined my memories. :D
Animations, collisions and AI are meh, and enough to convince me that I can happily live without doing a third playthorugh.

Will definitely look straight to the real deal [UC4].

pmj

I've never played Uncharted before and going in I couldn't help expecting one of the best shooters ever.

Instead I got a floaty game where the aiming reticle wobbles around when you aim and the main character needs to wind up before moving. It's not Rockstar bad, but still. Wonkiness with picking up guns and ammo. Needing to put too many bullets into enemies before they die unless you get headshots. Nothing has any weight or impact. Nate has a grating personality and is too chatty, but I base that on the demo only.

In one spot I tried to jump across roofs only to die, not because the fall should have killed me but because that was not the correct way to go. Then I got to the roof with the zip line and tried to jump onto it for about half a minute before accidentally walking towards the outer corner of the roof which triggered a cutscene, which then activated the zip line. Great.

Press the square button the game informs me every time an enemy gets up in my face. What I really want to do is to roll away and shoot, but when I try I notice that I'm stuck, and the message pops up again to tell me that it's square and nothing else in this situation. Perhaps because I'm stuck in tutorial mode?

And this is from Uncharted 2, the high point in the series. I'm unsold on this whole thing, at least at full price.

Top Bottom