• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted (PS4) announced, developed by protozoans and Druckmann's evil karma

So do you guys think we will be playing as Drake in this? or some new character, set way back? Haven't really been following this thread since the announcement.

Tagg9

I wonder what the uproar will be when this game is released and it's figured out it the game runs at 30FPS...

and here's the kicker, they'll have a good reason to

I'd be shocked if it wasn't 30FPS. Uncharted is really not the type of game that needs a silky smooth framerate.

LastNac

do you see the deep symbolism in my posts
There is something deep in there alright, but I dont think it is symbolism ;)

Seriously though, I personally think Uncharted 3's plot is the deepest because of its themes, because of its writing, and because of what it explores.

It may sound cheesy but the actual adventure seems like it plays out more in Drake's pysche than it does on any map.

Jac

Neo Member
There is something deep in there alright, but I dont think it is symbolism ;)

Seriously though, I personally think Uncharted 3's plot is the deepest because of its themes, because of its writing, and because of what it explores.

It may sound cheesy but the actual adventure seems like it plays out more in Drake's pysche than it does on any map.

It's a very personal adventure for Drake, and in the end Drake is forced to face himself - which is expressed symbolically through his fight at the end with Talbot.

It's funny to watch people read into games like Majora's Mask (Which is great, because there is indeed a level of depth there) and know that most of that is them reaching to explain the things that were left unexplained (whether deliberately or not). That game has people writing entire theses about why the Stone Tower Temple is the Tower of Babel, or why Termina is actually Purgatory, but all that is simply speculation based on small clues and incomplete explanation. Most of Majora's Mask's depth is the fans filling in the gaps that the developers left open to interpretation.

Uncharted 3 on the other hand practically slaps you in the face with elements that are clearly symbolic in order to try to pull you into the deeper levels. The game was brilliantly constructed in order to push its symbolic nature... and all people can do is complain about the shooting mechanics.

It's a very personal adventure for Drake, and in the end Drake is forced to face himself - which is expressed symbolically through his fight at the end with Talbot.

It's funny to watch people read into games like Majora's Mask (Which is great, because there is indeed a level of depth there) and know that most of that is them reaching to explain the things that were left unexplained (whether deliberately or not). That game has people writing entire theses about why the Stone Tower Temple is the Tower of Babel, or why Termina is actually Purgatory, but all that is simply speculation based on small clues and incomplete explanation. Most of Majora's Mask's depth is the fans filling in the gaps that the developers left open to interpretation.

Uncharted 3 on the other hand practically slaps you in the face with elements that are clearly symbolic in order to try to pull you into the deeper levels. The game was brilliantly constructed in order to push its symbolic nature... and all people can do is complain about the shooting mechanics.

I don't know if I could agree it was brilliant constructed. I'd agree there is the touchstones there with which to lend itself to deeper questions, but I don't think it's any secret that the structure itself of the game was a stumbling block for 3 (one of only a couple of stumbling blocks in my opinion).

Just my take.

The thing about UC3 is that they do some things for symbolic nature, but they don't implement them well. Walking through the desert would have been much more rewarding if you could walk in any direction and still have the oasis appear. If you, the player, felt like you were going in a straight line as the sun set, and came back to the same damn dried up well, you'd feel exactly like Drake.

But they don't do that, and the sequence is instead kinda clumsy (albeit beautiful).

I feel like similar things could be said about many aspects of UC3. It's still a pretty fine game (solid 8 for me) but it's frustrating for me when the solutions seem so obvious.

Readingaid

Neo Member
I'm guessing everyone missed the part where Drake isn't a trained mercenary and therefore would not have extreme shooting skillz. I always thought of Drake as a scrapper and therefore the shooting mechanics didn't really matter. Most.of the time I'm running popping off a few rounds then slapping someone with an uppercut. At no point during the game did I think about shooting mechanics.

I can go to any medium to get symbolism and "deeper levels." When I'm playing a videogame, the GAME part of that videogame better satisfy me, or you're damn right I'll complain about the shooting mechanics, or combat in general. This isn't some experimental art game where symbolism can potentially carry what are essentially mediocre or non-existent mechanics. The defense of Uncharted 3 is getting as ridiculous as the hyperbolic hate.

Less unfair battles please! I hate starting a battle with two armored guys, two snipers, grenader, and fodders shooting at my exact location. Would be nice to have different grenades to use as well.

Swarming101

Am I the only one who actually enjoyed the combat? I genuinely do not understand what people's problems were with it. There's a few frustrating parts like with the yeti things in UC3 but overall I found it pretty enjoyable.

Am I the only one who actually enjoyed the combat? I genuinely do not understand what people's problems were with it. There's a few frustrating parts like with the yeti things in UC3 but overall I found it pretty enjoyable.
I always loved the combat. Been hooked since 1. I hated the battle scenario of 3.

I fucking LOVE the combat in Uncharted, I feel so shackled when I play other TPSes after it and can't jump, roll, climb etc during combat. Mixing up the melee and guns, the verticality, the everything.

Other than the end boss in UC2 I didn't have the problem with the combat in all 3 games.

Swarming101

Good to see I'm not alone on this. There was just pages and pages of negativity about the combat, people complaining about how it lets down the story, etc. Which to me is just really weird, because at no point during the second or third games (combat in first was a bit meh) did I ever think "well this combat sucks." UC2 remains my favourite video game of all time. I must have played through that game's single player at least 15 times, and not once did I think the combat was this hugely weak aspect like many on this thread are making it out to be. I've tried googling "Uncharted shooting mechanics" to see what others are saying, but no sites give a straight answer as to what their criticisms are.

The thing about Uncharted combat is that it's not just about shooting. It's a series of quick planning from cover to cover shooting with a heavy dose of melee combat. Combat has always been great to me, but they should stop pinning the player in unfair scenarios with limited options. Options is what Uncharted combat thrives on. All that is missing is a few more tactical weapons and options.

I swear by the steel fist!

Keihart

The thing about Uncharted combat is that it's not just about shooting. It's a series of quick planning from cover to cover shooting with a heavy dose of melee combat. Combat has always been great to me, but they should stop pinning the player in unfair scenarios with limited options. Options is what Uncharted combat thrives on. All that is missing is a few more tactical weapons and options.

I swear by the steel fist!

Good to see I'm not alone on this. There was just pages and pages of negativity about the combat, people complaining about how it lets down the story, etc. Which to me is just really weird, because at no point during the second or third games (combat in first was a bit meh) did I ever think "well this combat sucks." UC2 remains my favourite video game of all time. I must have played through that game's single player at least 15 times, and not once did I think the combat was this hugely weak aspect like many on this thread are making it out to be. I've tried googling "Uncharted shooting mechanics" to see what others are saying, but no sites give a straight answer as to what their criticisms are.

I fucking LOVE the combat in Uncharted, I feel so shackled when I play other TPSes after it and can't jump, roll, climb etc during combat. Mixing up the melee and guns, the verticality, the everything.

Other than the end boss in UC2 I didn't have the problem with the combat in all 3 games.

Finally some common sense.
And i also agree that uncharted combat isnt as much about just "shootiing" and that the best thing about it are the options it give you.

Aesthet1c

Uncharted 3 was a massive drop in quality from 2 and DF. Sure it looked better but everything else felt broken and soulless. But honestly I blame Sony for rushing Naughty Dog.

Not sure I can say broken and soulless, but I definitely agree with your first statement.

Here is hoping they've learned from 3 and can improve for the next game.

Famous was right yet again. He said Uncharted was in development, didnt know who was developing it and finally, he said the trailer looked amazing (in a recent dodcast)

Alienous

Famous was right yet again. He said Uncharted was in development, didnt know who was developing it and finally, he said the trailer looked amazing (in a recent dodcast)

He only got one out of those three things right. Two I guess, depending on your individual impression of the trailer (but 'looks' amazing implies graphically).

I always figured it was a safe bet anyway. The only way Sony would have confidence in Naughty Dog bringing out a late-gen new IP (TLOU) for the PS3 is if they knew that they had their most critically acclaimed IP also set for development.

No. Ship graveyard was one of the best combat bowls in any game this gen.

He only got one out of those three things right. Two I guess, depending on your individual impression of the trailer (but 'looks' amazing implies graphically).

I always figured it was a safe bet anyway. The only way Sony would have confidence in Naughty Dog bringing out a late-gen new IP (TLOU) for the PS3 is if they knew that they had their most critically acclaimed IP also set for development.

I am guessing his sources have seen the full trailer. We will find out at Vga

the major problem with Uncharted 3 was that it seemed the tech was driving the story in unnatural directions and thus managed to derail the second act like a rocket launcher to a freight train. if Naughty Dog were being brutally honest they'd admit to themselves that the whole ship-yard to cruise ship sequence had no business being in the game; it didn't serve to move the story forward, it moved it sideways, absolutely killing the pacing and sending the player on a wild goose chase in the name of technology. Their answer to getting out of his cul-de-sac of an act? Have Drake just wash up on shore and wander into Elena's hotel room. For all intents and purposes, he may as well have just woken up in her arms and said "I've just had the strangest dream. I was on a cruise ship with pirates. And you weren't there, Chloe wasn't there, Katherine Marlowe wasn't there and Sully sure as hell wasn't there. In fact no-one of consequence that could move the plot forward was there."

UC3 was enjoyable, but it failed to scale the heights of its predecessor. The story suffered because it decided to waste precious game time on a diversion that failed to enrich or develop any of the game's characters or plot. I hope they've learned their lessons over the mistakes UC3 made. The story takes precedence over the technology. You have to kill your darlings and if your story can't incorporate something as technically brilliant and dazzling as the cruise ship sequence, then drop it. Story is king. Technology only serves to help tell the story, not derail it. I look forward to UC4, I hope I derive as much pleasure and enjoyable as I did from UC2 and The Last Of Us. UC3 is too flawed to be mentioned in the same company, but despite my grievances, I enjoyed my time with it, but at best it's an 8/10 and at worst a 7/10 game.

Finally some common sense.
And i also agree that uncharted combat isnt as much about just "shootiing" and that the best thing about it are the options it give you.
It's what made me fell in love with the series. Once I went Crushing on Uncharted 1, I can't go back. You had to use everything to survive and every option. I was punching, steel fisting, grenading, constantly swapping cover, and constantly swapping out guns to survive.

dr_rus

the major problem with Uncharted 3 was that it seemed the tech was driving the story in unnatural directions and thus managed to derail the second act like a rocket launcher to a freight train. if Naughty Dog were being brutally honest they'd admit to themselves that the whole ship-yard to cruise ship sequence had no business being in the game; it didn't serve to move the story forward, it moved it sideways, absolutely killing the pacing and sending the player on a wild goose chase in the name of technology. Their answer to getting out of his cul-de-sac of an act? Have Drake just wash up on shore and wander into Elena's hotel room. For all intents and purposes, he may as well have just woken up in her arms and said "I've just had the strangest dream. I was on a cruise ship with pirates. And you weren't there, Chloe wasn't there, Katherine Marlowe wasn't there and Sully sure as hell wasn't there. In fact no-one of consequence that could move the plot forward was there."

UC3 was enjoyable, but it failed to scale the heights of its predecessor. The story suffered because it decided to waste precious game time on a diversion that failed to enrich or develop any of the game's characters or plot. I hope they've learned their lessons over the mistakes UC3 made. The story takes precedence over the technology. You have to kill your darlings and if your story can't incorporate something as technically brilliant and dazzling as the cruise ship sequence, then drop it. Story is king. Technology only serves to help tell the story, not derail it. I look forward to UC4, I hope I derive as much pleasure and enjoyable as I did from UC2 and The Last Of Us. UC3 is too flawed to be mentioned in the same company, but despite my grievances, I enjoyed my time with it, but at best it's an 8/10 and at worst a 7/10 game.
I think a lot of this is a result of U3 being rushed to meet the deadline. If they've had another half a year to work on it it would end up being much better story wise.

And to all the people who goes like "ueww, it's the same people who made UC3" I'd like to remind that the same people who made UC1 made UC2 after that.

Bandit1

The biggest problem I have with the combat in Uncharted is the super heavy armored guys carrying gatling guns. I mean I can get by them, I've beat all three games on crushing, but it's really annoying to me. Like the guy on the deck of the cruise ship who's all armored up. Where the freak did he get all that stuff?? And why would he be wearing it if he didn't even know Drake was coming? Also there were moments, especially in 3, where there were a rediculous amount of enemies in some places. The ballroom comes up a lot, but the one that stuck out to me is a little bit before that right when Drake breaks out of the chair he's tied to and you have to brawl with ten guys in a very confined space. Love these games, but they can be frustrating.

Felsparrow

Neo Member
Let's be honest, Nathan Drake is going to be in this new Uncharted.

However, I strongly suspect we'll be jumping between this new character in the past, and Drake retracing his footsteps to uncover some deeper mystery.

Or, he'll be part of a framed narrative.

Was browsing Twitter and came across Kurt Margenau's profile. Where he lists himself as "Lead Game Designer, #UnchartedPS4".

https://twitter.com/kurtmargenau

Here are his credits from Uncharted 3:
- level layout and script implementation of Chapter 16 "One Shot at This" (airport level), Chapter 17 "Stowaway" (cargo plane level), Chapter 18 "The Rub' al Khali" (lost in the desert level), and Chapter 19 "The Settlement" (desert village level).
- additional scripting throughout

All parts that I really enjoyed.

I also noticed that Robert Lemarchand, who was lead on UC3, apparently left the company in 2012.

So, could we please stop making the assumption that just because UC3 failed to live up to its expectations, UC4 will too?

Showaddy

If he'd actually seen the trailer he would have seen the Naughty Dog logo on it. So yeah educated bullshit much? An Uncharted game for PS4 that 'looks amazing' is about as predictable as the tides.

Tiberius

Was browsing Twitter and came across Kurt Margenau's profile. Where he lists himself as "Lead Game Designer, #UnchartedPS4".

https://twitter.com/kurtmargenau

Here are his credits from Uncharted 3:
- level layout and script implementation of Chapter 16 "One Shot at This" (airport level), Chapter 17 "Stowaway" (cargo plane level), Chapter 18 "The Rub' al Khali" (lost in the desert level), and Chapter 19 "The Settlement" (desert village level).
- additional scripting throughout

All parts that I really enjoyed.

I also noticed that Robert Lemarchand, who was lead on UC3, apparently left the company in 2012.

So, could we please stop making the assumption that just because UC3 failed to live up to its expectations, UC4 will too?

some interessting information on margenau's profile on likedin http://www.linkedin.com/in/kmargenau

Lead Game Designer
Naughty Dog

Public Company; 201-500 employees; Jeux électroniques industry

February 2013 – Present (10 months) Santa Monica, CA

Unannounced project

so they've been working on uncharted ps4 for only 10 months ?

Anyone else wish they had called it Uncharted 4? lol. I have a feeling it's only going to have a subtitle.

I'm sure it'll be called Uncharted 4: Generic Subheading. This is another mainline title (or I assume it is), made by the same developer who gave the world the first 3 instalments - I see no reason why the 4 would be dropped.

RaikuHebi

Banned
I'm sure it'll be called Uncharted 4: Generic Subheading. This is another mainline title (or I assume it is), made by the same developer who gave the world the first 3 instalments - I see no reason why the 4 would be dropped.
Me neither, but why wouldn't they have just said it at the reveal then :(.

I wouldn't call them generic but I agree they're nothing special.

Because they don't want to isolate people. '4' implies a long running series that you won't understand if you haven't played the first three.

Same reason we have inFamous: Second Son and Killzone: Shadow Fall.

LuuKyK

so they've been working on uncharted ps4 for only 10 months ?

Not really. He may have joined later, or his part on the project needed to be started after an initial production part.

Btw, I have no idea how this all actually works, I am just guessing.

Loakum

Banned
I have a feeling Nathan Drake, Sully, Chloe, and Elena Fisher will be in this new Uncharted, but while on their adventure it shows flashbacks showing Sir Francis Drake. Just a guess.

Tevious

I have a feeling Nathan Drake, Sully, Chloe, and Elena Fisher will be in this new Uncharted, but while on their adventure it shows flashbacks showing Sir Francis Drake. Just a guess.

Highly unlikely this has anything to do with Sir Francis Drake. He lived in the 16th century and the teaser already mentioned Captain Every, who lived in the 17th century.

dcx4610

Definitely seems like you are going to be Sir Francis. I don't know if I can take more pirate stuff after ACIV. It really nails it.

Top Bottom