• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted (PS4) announced, developed by protozoans and Druckmann's evil karma

RaikuHebi

Banned
Definitely seems like you are going to be Sir Francis. I don't know if I can take more pirate stuff after ACIV. It really nails it.
That's what we thought about "zombies". Naughty Dog can make the tropes interesting.

And it is unlikely to be Sir Francis, unless Drake still sees him as his spiritual predecessor.

THE:MILKMAN

Not really. He may have joined later, or his part on the project needed to be started after an initial production part.

Btw, I have no idea how this all actually works, I am just guessing.

Likely wrong, here is what I think FWIW.

ND released UC3 in Nov '11 yet still had a trailer for TLOU the following month. They have double or more staff compared to UC1/2 now.

I think UC4 has been worked on from early '11 (designing/story/tech) and then when UC3 wrapped in Oct '11, a bunch of other/new staff jumped in as they entered full production.

Late '14 is a possible release but with The Order rumoured to be released around that time, I would say June '15 may work. ND made June work for TLOU...

Either way, ND already have my money.

LuuKyK

ND released UC3 in Nov '11 yet still had a trailer for TLOU the following month. They have double or more staff compared to UC1/2 now.

I think UC4 has been worked on from early '11 (designing/story/tech) and then when UC3 wrapped in Oct '11, a bunch of other/new staff jumped in as they entered full production.

Late '14 is a possible release but with The Order rumoured to be released around that time, I would say June '15 may work. ND made June work for TLOU...

Makes sense. But I don't think they will miss 2014. What I am guessing is a reveal on VGX, followed by a big push next year, especially on E3, and a launch on october/november.

Those two teams aren't entirely independent of each other, that's all I'd say. You'd be remiss for thinking there isn't shared manpower, certainly when it comes to production.

But there has almost certainly been significant work being done on Uncharted PS4 since well before TLoU's release.

Jigolo

did detective GAF break the teaser down already? if so can someone quote the post. Haven't been in the thread at all.

iLLmAtlc

Nate will star, he's the cash cow guys. It's the same reason why kratos had been prequeled 3 times. The only issue they have is they seemed to have written themselves into a corner with Elena and Nate. I mean what are they gonna do separate them again?

Yes!
Just avoiding sponge enemies...
And PLEASE don't go the last of us-route...
Tlos has great graphic, great story, great environment, but ehgad, can't really stomach how you're going permacrouched evading evreything..
I mean ok, fancy and all, but enemy ai is just dumb, patrolling routine is shit and usually the smartest way is avoid fighting because due to your chronic bullet shortage enemies will overpower AND over number you..
Rather than an adventure game it' sa survival game with poor fps mechanic... I really couldn't bring myself to play tlos beyond the first 2-3 hours... Maybe most gaffer can appreciate the survival approach perma stealth, but i prefer the gun and blaze approach being a fps lover and uncharted 1-2 under this respect had the perfect balance.. Enemies being bullet sponge in uc3 didn't quite felt right...

THE:MILKMAN

Makes sense. But I don't think they will miss 2014. What I am guessing is a reveal on VGX, followed by a big push next year, especially on E3, and a launch on october/november.

Yeah, I ain't ruling it out, but will expect mid '15 to avoid disappointment!

Those two teams aren't entirely independent of each other, that's all I'd say. You'd be remiss for thinking there isn't shared manpower, certainly when it comes to production.

But there has almost certainly been significant work being done on Uncharted PS4 since well before TLoU's release.

Absolutely. They're really just one huge team working on multiple projects. I'm sure there is crossover when needed.

Just one big happy doghouse.

Yes!
Tlos has great graphic, great story, great environment, but ehgad, can't really stomach how you're going permacrouched evading evreything..
I mean ok, fancy and all, but enemy ai is just dumb, patrolling routine is shit and usually the smartest way is avoid fighting because due to your chronic bullet shortage enemies will overpower AND over number you..
Rather than an adventure game it' sa survival game with poor fps mechanic... I really couldn't bring myself to play tlos beyond the first 2-3 hours... Maybe most gaffer can appreciate the survival approach perma stealth, but i prefer the gun and blaze approach being a fps lover and uncharted 1-2 under this respect had the perfect balance.. Enemies being bullet sponge in uc3 didn't quite felt right...

Huh?

Yup.

I bet there is probably 2 core teams of maybe 10-20 people each then there is the giant 150+ group of production staff that works on whatever.

They probably had that small group of people + a few select programmers / artists working on Uncharted 4 since Uncharted 3, taking extra time to think what next gen Uncharted should be while TLOU takes most of ND's man power.

When TLOU finished the main chunk of the man power shifted back to the Uncharted team and likewise the TLOU team probably shrunk down as they do pre production and planning on next gen TLOU. When people start to finish work on Uncharted 4 they will probably over to TLOU 2 and then back again when thats done.

Chamber

love on your sleeve

The Order isn't rumored for late '14 though, should be much earlier than that. I have to agree with the general consensus that this is Sony's flagship title for 2014

LastNac

The thing about UC3 is that they do some things for symbolic nature, but they don't implement them well. Walking through the desert would have been much more rewarding if you could walk in any direction and still have the oasis appear. If you, the player, felt like you were going in a straight line as the sun set, and came back to the same damn dried up well, you'd feel exactly like Drake.

But they don't do that, and the sequence is instead kinda clumsy (albeit beautiful).

I feel like similar things could be said about many aspects of UC3. It's still a pretty fine game (solid 8 for me) but it's frustrating for me when the solutions seem so obvious.
I think it worked really well, personally. Too often too much freedom with player input absolutely destroys the narrative with dissonance, ala Red Dead Redemption. Making the desert a small chunk of an open world would have betrayed the nature of the entire series and killed the immediacy of the moment. Its also one of my favorite moments because even on my first run through I knew what to do, I knew how to play it. The subtle hints in the distance made it work. I never felt like my hand was being dragged by the dev, I felt like I was being subtly nudged in a direction. Frankly, I wouldn't have had it any other way.

The Order isn't rumored for late '14 though, should be much earlier than that. I have to agree with the general consensus that this is Sony's flagship title for 2014

Here's what i think the release of PS4 exclusives in 2014 should be:
March: inFamous SS
May: DRIVE CLUB
July: Probably a big PSN Exclusive
September: The Order: 1886
November: Uncharted (PS4)

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Here's what i think the release of PS4 exclusives in 2014 should be:
March: inFamous SS
May: DRIVE CLUB
July: Probably a big PSN Exclusive
September: The Order: 1886
November: Uncharted (PS4)

You're forgetting Deep Down and MLB The Show and I think there will be another game in there, perhaps from Bend Studio.

Sakujou

Banned
everyone hates 3, but i loved the hell out of it.

i certainly dont like the story, the ending, elenas and chloes new character model and the MP but everything else was just ÜBER amazing.

the setting, the immersion, the graphics, the intense feeling and constant action.

i know the settings were loosely put together but.... DAMN was it nice. loved the shit out of it.

and i rank it therefore a little but under 2.
it didnt surpass 2, and i wouldnt rank 1 in the first place.

i loved 1 and 2 set a total different tone and 3 tried to be something like 2 and improved certain things (like the graphics) and failed in other things(what BS-story with plotholes, and a lame boss/endscene)

i dont expect too much in the upcoming gen: ND is know for doing something new, after a trilogy has been finished.

Concept17

everyone hates 3, but i loved the hell out of it.

i certainly dont like the story, the ending, elenas and chloes new character model and the MP but everything else was just ÜBER amazing.

the setting, the immersion, the graphics, the intense feeling and constant action.

i know the settings were loosely put together but.... DAMN was it nice. loved the shit out of it.

and i rank it therefore a little but under 2.
it didnt surpass 2, and i wouldnt rank 1 in the first place.

i loved 1 and 2 set a total different tone and 3 tried to be something like 2 and improved certain things (like the graphics) and failed in other things(what BS-story with plotholes, and a lame boss/endscene)

i dont expect too much in the upcoming gen: ND is know for doing something new, after a trilogy has been finished.

I don't think anyone hates 3, it's just that, for many, it didn't do anything beyond what 2 did. 3 was absolutely amazing, and is right there with 2 - in some cases its better, others its not.

sappyday

I don't think anyone hates 3, it's just that, for many, it didn't do anything beyond what 2 did. 3 was absolutely amazing, and is right there with 2 - in some cases its better, others its not.

The problem UC3 had was that it basically was a retread of UC2, except with the pacing, story, and villains being inferior than its predecessor.

This vid goes into detail into why I thought it was inferior despite me wanting to really like it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCg64h-JVz0

huh what?
uc3 sponge enemies were an eyesore of concept :)
and as for my comment on tlou it's about taste.. I prefer much going gun&blazing with occasional stealth approach rather than being constantly constrained with bullet shortage and being almost always in cover like tlou..

Hmmm

b451Yxt.png

HYDE

Banned
Any chance we'll get an incredible multiplayer game, less like 3 and more like 2? 2's mp is obviously still better, especially before it's infamous patches. 3's was the stuff nightmares are made of...horrible and unfun, trying to be something it's not.

After having not played both SP's for at least over a year, I replayed U2 and U3 back to back a couple days ago; and while my opinion of U3 has improved, it is still vastly inferior to U2 because of the terrible combat and encounters.

Here's the #1 reason U2's combat is superior:

- A guy (unarmored) rushes either at me, or between cover: I shoot him, he flinches, he stumbles, he REACTS to getting hit by a projectile moving 600+fps.

- In U3: the same scenario as above, only this time, the guy scurries around like a goddam cockroach and brushes off bullets like I'm throwing marshmallows at him. Unless it's a 1-shot-kill weapon, they hardly ever react to being shot -- even getting hit with a shotgun, they will flinch but they just keep on scurrying, never missing a step.

That + the atrocious enemy spawns leads to nearly every firefight playing out the same way: kill who you see from where you are at the start of the encounter; when they're dead, turn around because you're about to be shot in the back by materializing goons; rinse and repeat until Drake returns to his jogging animation.

The movement controls are also much smoother and more responsive in U2; whereas in U3, not only are the animations stiffer and less fluid, but Drake constantly gets stuck on corners/walls which was never an issue in U2, and spazzes out into strange reaction animations when you bump into a wall or NPC.

Not to mention his obsessive need to hover his hands 8 inches away from damned near every structure he passes -- he touches more walls in 10min than I have in the last 2 years.

If the combat was as good as U2, I would still rate U3 lower; the barely-there villains; the there-because-it's-cool Shityard -- err, Shipyard -- and the retread of U2 setpieces with a twist, keep it from approaching U2 territory.

Just for the record, Uncharted is now available for preorder on Amazon.com

I said I would preorder the game and have it paid off the moment they stuck it up on Amazon and I did just that.

I don't care when the damn thing releases, I just wanted it paid off immediately.

Yes!
First off, Uncharted and TLOU aren't FPSs. Secondly, "bullet sponges" aren't poor mechanics, its simply a preference. One I hold, one a lot of other people hold, and one Naughty Dog surely held at the time. Do you honestly think that was a mistake? "Oh damn, we accidentally gave the enemies too much health!" No. It was very intentional. I'm sorry it doesn't suit your preferences, but I'm sure there are other games out there that do.

huh what?
uc3 sponge enemies were an eyesore of concept :)
and as for my comment on tlou it's about taste.. I prefer much going gun&blazing with occasional stealth approach rather than being constantly constrained with bullet shortage and being almost always in cover like tlou..
So in a game where you play as the underdog, the random adventurer/disgruntled father/little girl, you want to be able to run in "gun&balzing" against highly trained military type organizations? That wouldn't fit at all. Focusing on staying hidden and in cover to find your moments of opportunity is what its about. Albeit, they don't always execute it great, but still. You want to run in fast and shoot everything without thinking twice, and not to sound like a jerk, stick with games like Killzone, Battlefield, and COD. Not all games are for every gamer, nothing wrong with that.

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
Todd Stashwick is posting some pics on twitter of his mocap sessions. The weapon seen there indicates that atleast part of the game takes place in modern times.

I think it worked really well, personally. Too often too much freedom with player input absolutely destroys the narrative with dissonance, ala Red Dead Redemption. Making the desert a small chunk of an open world would have betrayed the nature of the entire series and killed the immediacy of the moment. Its also one of my favorite moments because even on my first run through I knew what to do, I knew how to play it. The subtle hints in the distance made it work. I never felt like my hand was being dragged by the dev, I felt like I was being subtly nudged in a direction. Frankly, I wouldn't have had it any other way.

I'm not saying that section should have been open world, just that it should have felt like it was. If you can make drake walk in a straight line, in any direction, and still end up back at that same well, you, the player, feels exactly like Drake.

When I played it, I was frustrated that control kept being taken away and given back and then it was "walk along this ridge, but don't go on the other side of the ridge because you can't and it won't look as cinematic so we're gonna block you off with invisible walls."

Just make it a cinematic at that point.

Morue

Come on, there's no way Nate isn't the main character. He is Uncharted. As long as Elena and Sully are there too, ND can do whatever they want, I'll be there day 1.

Can't wait to see more. Hope there will be a real trailer at the VGAs. Really curious about Stashwick's character. If it's a story of revenge against Drake, this is going to be very interesting...

Top Bottom