• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted (PS4) announced, developed by protozoans and Druckmann's evil karma

scoobs

All I could think about when I was slogging through that repulsive Killzone campaign was... "man, just imagine what Naughty Dogs gonna do with Uncharted."

All I could think about when I was slogging through that repulsive Killzone campaign was... "man, just imagine what Naughty Dogs gonna do with Uncharted."

9sTp2.gif

You guys ever think that when we say things like that, it makes ND nervous? Like, "Oh hey, the fans are essentially expecting the second or potentially third coming of Jesus Christ!"

Probably worth a new thread but what kind of things do people wanna see in the new Uncharted? It'll probably retain it's story structure hence mostly linear levels and plot but there's no reason they couldn't expand some of the key area's (5 GB of GDDR5 should allow for that) to make it feel like you can explore them and occasionally
get lost!

The DS4 should improve the aiming in gun fights. Improved jumping so that you have to time jumps just right or maybe have different paths to completing objectives (shadow fall syle). I'm definetly looking to get more realtime destruction that affects the flow of the gameplay. I.e. if one path get's blocked (maybe due to a firefight that got out of hand) you'd have to find another way round or if you were efficient dispatching the enemies the orginal path would still be clear.

Since there's definatly a hint of pirate in the game, anything that AC4 didn't get right or wasn't included?

I wanna explain a truly freaky, eerie, lost location in great detail. That's what I wanna see. The thing about Shambala and Ubar is that they were utterly beautiful, but we didn't get a chance to explore and admire before their destruction.

I want there to be beauty and horror in equal measure when they finally come upon whatever they're searching for. The very notion of something lost in antiquity is that. Beauty and horror. Being lost and refound, but not the right way, you know?

Picollus

Neo Member
I Don't have right to create new thread yet... so I don't know where to post that...

I think that the new uncharted or secret new game from naugthy dog has been leaked by texture software !!! Cartoon art direction ?

Are viking fit with the new uncharted game ?

2000x450_quote01.jpg

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Dude, it's been out for months (or even years) and it's just because this particular artist uses Substance Designer. ND uses Substance Designer (and dozen other AAA studios), that is all.

NeoROCK

I really enjoyed the original U2 multiplayer. The map design was somewhat simple, but good.

I hated the U3 multiplayer. The maps. The spawns. The CODification. Everything.

Small-Medium maps > Big maps

It's 5v5, not 16v16. I don't want to spend half the match running around looking for people.

I really hope they get it right this time. And please don't do another Beta. Glitches aside, Uncharted multiplayer always gets worse after the Betas are done.

I really enjoyed the original U2 multiplayer. The map design was somewhat simple, but good.

It's 5v5, not 16v16. I don't want to spend half the match running around looking for people.

I really hope they get it right this time. And please Naughty Dog, don't do another Beta. Glitches aside, Uncharted multiplayer always gets worse after the Betas are done.

They changed too many things, the reticles and aiming were working really well in UC2 but they decided things needed to change and basically things got kind of fucked up, the pistol became completely useless.

I really hope they get it right this time. And please don't do another Beta. Glitches aside, Uncharted multiplayer always gets worse after the Betas are done.
Ah, the UC2 beta(and the multiplayer for around the first two months). So awesome...

NeoROCK

They changed too many things, the reticles and aiming were working really well in UC2 but they decided things needed to change and basically things got kind of fucked up, the pistol became completely useless.
Yup.

It was all about the power weapons and controlling the map in U2. The Hammer and Shotguns were worth your entire team fighting for in U2, but barely even worth using in U3.

U3 was more about who had the better upgrades and who could use their kickback better.

As for people hating on Justin Richmond in this thread... I don't want to add fuel to the fire, but he was a lead designer responsible for "Damnation" (2.5 out of 10 rating on IGN). I wonder how he became a lead director at Naughty Dog in just a few years.

GRIP

Which maps are you referring to? Because most of the maps in U3 aren't any bigger than there U2 counterparts. I mean Airstrip is a pretty big map but it's not hard to find people on it, and Yemen is pretty much the same way (and both are comparable to U2 maps like Trainwreck, Plaza, and Fort). London Underground, Syria, Desert Village, and Chateau are all small-moderately sized maps. The only map I really have an issue with due to it's size is Highrise and that was an U2 DLC map.

Ishan

im going to look forward to ps4 uncharted... and then two years down the line when they do another game and a similar leap from uncharted to uncharted 2 .... and just go OH MY FUCKING GOD. NAUGHTY GODS

I love U3's MP more so than U2's one :I

I've played tons of matches and have never taken half the match's time to find people to gun down, pretty easy unless you dont like to move around alot in the MP.

I bet this installment will be a good old fashioned revenge story. Just don't know which period (or how many) it will be set in. I'm sure being a treasure hunter Drake's made quite a few enemies just how they incorpate 1 plot in 2 time peiods (late 1700c and modern day) remains to be seen but they played with it in U3 so it could work. Of course they could just do a die hard 3 (enemy using the distraction of revenge on Drake to rob someone else blind). I have faith in ND. The trailer release is only 6 days away so we'll hopefully get our first in game footage :)

Side note: Still think U3 sub heading should have been "Drakes on a plane!"

...sorry first bad joke of the week.

NeoROCK

Which maps are you referring to? Because most of the maps in U3 aren't any bigger than there U2 counterparts. I mean Airstrip is a pretty big map but it's not hard to find people on it, and Yemen is pretty much the same way (and both are comparable to U2 maps like Trainwreck, Plaza, and Fort). London Underground, Syria, Desert Village, and Chateau are all small-moderately sized maps. The only map I really have an issue with due to it's size is Highrise and that was an U2 DLC map.

They're bigger than U2 maps. It always seemed like Village and Ice Caves were the most popular maps in U2, and were also the 2 smallest. Trainwreck was easily the least popular U2 map, and it was also the biggest. You'd think they'd take what was popular, and make more maps a similar size to those rather than making maps similar in size to the least popular one.

Museum and Highrise (U2 DLC) are the two worst ones and they were included in the U3 map rotation early on. They're way too big for 5v5. Those two are especially bad.
"I'm shutting this game off now" type of bad.

Yemen in U3 was brutal as well. It's a COD-style map. I hated it even though I like COD mp. It just doesn't fit in Uncharted style multiplayer.

Plaza and Fort were medium-big sized maps in U2, but they were very open and didn't have a bunch of buildings/windows for camping.

Airstrip was completely unbalanced at the start of matches. I know they changed it later on, but it's a real head scratcher why they even did that in the first place. What were these guys thinking? I believe London Underground had a similar thing like that at the start of matches that everyone complained about and they eventually removed. Stuff like that makes me lose faith in their multiplayer design team.

Chateau felt so cluttered and crowded. U2 maps were all fairly open.

The turrets in Airstrip, London, and Chateau were unnecessary. I read the U2 MP forums a lot, and nobody ever asked for or wanted that crap. They were especially bad on Airstrip since they were in the corners of the maps, so you couldn't even flank the user and take them down from behind.

I didn't like the wind storm that took place in Desert Village either. I feel like it killed the flow of the matches there. It was cool the first couple of times I saw it, but it got annoying really fast.

Sorry. Maybe it was more the design than the actual size of the maps. Overall I just hated the U3 MP maps, and Museum and Highrise (2 horrible old maps) being included just killed it for me. Including all of the old U2 maps as DLC was just ridiculous. Why would I want to re-play 2 year old maps that I had already played a few hundred times before? Sure I liked them in 2009, but in 2011 I wanted something fresh.

U2 MP was a good Third Person cover shooter with unique verticality.
U3 MP didn't feel like much of a cover shooter, and didn't feel like kickoffs/pulldowns were used nearly as much by anyone.

Naughty Dog needs to come correct with U4.
-No more old maps that we've already played
-No game changing patches (get the damage right from day 1 and don't change it)
-No oversized maps.
-Ship with more than 7 maps.
-No "cinematic" BS at the beginning of matches.
-Make the reticules more precise. Tighten up the shooting and accuracy.

If they can do all of the above, U4 MP could be amazing. It's frustrating because the Multiplayer has so much potential but they always mess it up somehow.

I really hope they get it right this time

Zephyrus

Banned
Probably someone Drake screwed over in the past. If only Eddie Raja was still alive.

well you didn't actually see Eddie die. He fell, but for all we know he could've survived.

Still my favorite Uncharted villain and my MP main character for the villains. For the heroes ofc it's Sully.

Yup.

It was all about the power weapons and controlling the map in U2. The Hammer and Shotguns were worth your entire team fighting for in U2, but barely even worth using in U3.

U3 was more about who had the better upgrades and who could use their kickback better.

As for people hating on Justin Richmond in this thread... I don't want to add fuel to the fire, but he was a lead designer responsible for "Damnation" (2.5 out of 10 rating on IGN). I wonder how he became a lead director at Naughty Dog in just a few years.

I think once again it was the desire to copy kill streaks and all those perks, which spawned the whole kickback thing which kind of gives the player the whole "I can fuck everyone up" power, there's an ebb and flow to how each game plays out and having these extraneous bullshit just kind of completely fucks things up.

COD really just fucked up the whole shooter genre.

Hopefully they can learn from TLOU and realize that you don't need all that shit to have an intense shooter experience, just great levels and good weapons, you don't even need all that many weapons, just good ones.

NeoROCK

I think once again it was the desire to copy kill streaks and all those perks, which spawned the whole kickback thing which kind of gives the player the whole "I can fuck everyone up" power, there's an ebb and flow to how each game plays out and having these extraneous bullshit just kind of completely fucks things up.

COD really just fucked up the whole shooter genre.

Hopefully they can learn from TLOU and realize that you don't need all that shit to have an intense shooter experience, just great levels and good weapons, you don't even need all that many weapons, just good ones.

Don't blame COD. Blame all the other developers for copying them.

arne

Both he and Jacob worked on Damnation. They got skills. If you remember, Jacob did the train sequence in U2 as well. Talented folks can come from humble beginnings.

Alienous

You know, I want to play as Todd's character, whomever that may be. If only for the opening.

Maybe stare at a wall in a prison, and walk around the confines of your cell, while the game installs. That feel of waiting.

andycapps

Both he and Jacob worked on Damnation. They got skills. If you remember, Jacob did the train sequence in U2 as well. Talented folks can come from humble beginnings.
Man, that train level was so good. If we had a best level of the generation, that one may take it for me.

.GqueB.

Banned
9sTp2.gif

You guys ever think that when we say things like that, it makes ND nervous? Like, "Oh hey, the fans are essentially expecting the second or potentially third coming of Jesus Christ!"

I'd hope that it fuels them. I think they're nervous either way because nerd rage is a powerful thing these days.

Top Bottom