• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted (PS4) announced, developed by protozoans and Druckmann's evil karma

Koyuga

As a shooter, what I want next for uncharted is to have locatioj based damage. Shoot leg to make them limped, shoot hand to make them drop their weapon, etc. But not sure if this particular gameplay mechanic will push it to M rating.

Something like this could also open the door for taking down enemies without killing them, something I would really like to see. If Snake is able to complete his mission without killing anyone, Drake should be able to as well.

NeoROCK

now isn't that ironic.

well there's really only 2 conclusions you can come to with U3 repeating an almost identical
bridge collapse
sequence that was already in U2.

Either Naughty Dog was lacking creativity (which we know is not true) or they rushed the game (which they kind of admitted themselves)

Something obviously went wrong there. No sequel should ever have such a similar
ending
sequence to its predecessor.

Ishan

well there's really only 2 conclusions you can come to with U3 repeating an almost identical
bridge collapse

Either Naughty Dog was lacking creativity (which we know is not true) or they rushed the game (which they kind of admitted themselves)

ending

i franky didnt even notice. to me uncharted games are random spectacles one after the one and wisecracks thrown in with awesome graphics .... no deeper analysis etc ... just random fun things going on.

Ishan

What did they say?

not sure if its what they are refering to. but the only quote i remember from nd about the new uncharted is they are focussing on storytelling animations and graphics. didnt watch vgfx fully so might be something else.

NeoGash

bridge collapse

ending

The one in UC3 was better. Yes, there were similarities but it made sense in the context of the games. Halo 1 and Halo 3 endings are pretty much the same concept, but they were both amazing, just like UC2 and UC3.

Anyway, I'm guessing I'll need jaw reconstructive surgery after seeing UC4. UC2 and UC3 still drop my jaw today, so I'm expecting UC4 to look like a PS5 game in comparison to every other game. Graphics are so damn important in making a game even more amazing. I know story + gameplay are most important etc., but amazing graphics on top of an awesome story just make a game so much better. You are so immersed and absorbed into Uncharted because you are constantly seeing things done on a technical level that amaze and surprise you. I used to say graphics don't matter, but after playing games like Halo 4 and Uncharted and Metro, it just adds so damn much to a game.

Uncharted without Nathan Drake is not uncharted in my eyes and I think they should call it with a totally different name.

I hope it has Nathan drake because it will fail without him. Releasing an uncharted without drake is equivalent to making the 4th one the Cart Racing version.

jett

D-Member
Uncharted without Nathan Drake is not uncharted in my eyes and I think they should call it with a totally different name.

I hope it has Nathan drake because it will fail without him. Releasing an uncharted without drake is equivalent to making the 4th one the Cart Racing version.

You will play as an ancestor of Nathan Drake, will be him in all but name, William Drake.

Then in the end it will be revealed that you're reliving his memories in the animus. Uncharted Butt Creed Crossover Boogaloo.

VanWinkle

I wouldn't mind if its a new cast of characters. Could help make it feel like a new series a little bit instead of dragging the PS3 series along. But still, if it IS Nathan Drake and crew, I'd be happy with that, too.

Kyoufu

Who says it won't have Drake?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I'd be shocked if Naughty Gods made a 60 fps game. They said Uncharted 4 will be a big jump graphically and I don't think 30 frames per second has ever hurt Uncharted games in the past.

If anything they'll do it for multiplayer, but singleplayer campaign will probably be 30 and drop dead gorgeous.

Having said all this, ND are wizards so anything is possible.
I would be suprised but not shocked. They made 60fps games on PS2 and if the rumored VR headset happens and they want to support it, 60fps is a must.

I would be suprised but not shocked. They made 60fps games on PS2 and if the rumored VR headset happens and they want to support it, 60fps is a must.

Ughh, please no.

Why do people keep on adding extra shit to this industry?

Why can't we just focus on making the games good before working out other stuff like Kinect and VR, and then payment model experimentation can come way later.

:p

dr_rus

You will play as an ancestor of Nathan Drake, will be him in all but name, William Drake.

Then in the end it will be revealed that you're reliving his memories in the animus. Uncharted Butt Creed Crossover Boogaloo.
Yeah, it's stuff like this why good franchises go to shit and die.
Nathan is Uncharted and he needs to stay.
No 16th or 17th century gameplay - this isn't Uncharted at all. Uncharted is about uncovering the past in the present days.
I can live with some open worldness in some areas but in general it should just be Uncharted. Otherwise - don't call it one. Do a new IP instead.
Also no Eddi Raja resurrection (seriously, who the fuck wants this and why?) and preferably no old cast beyond Sully at all. Their clinging to the old cast was part of the reason why UC3 weren't as good as UC2.
If they feel too constrained by what they've done in previous Uncharteds - they may reboot it but leave Nathan as the main character and gameplay as it was in UC2/3.

Because you're a mass-murderer, and I don't have the ability to suspend my disbelief and accept the fact that I'm playing a video game.

this is stupid...

Is Mario a mass murderer? How many gombas has he curb stomped?
What about link? How many baddies has he dispatched in his long career?
Master chief??

the list goes on. I don't think Naughty Dog was going for realism in the Uncharted series (lol) the game isn't about Drakes psychology and how the mass murder affects him

Tzeentch

Wait a second ...
Wasn't one of the big reveals in Uncharted 3 that he wasn't even Nathan Drake, but had adopted that name as a kid? Are they retconning the twist that he wasn't related to Drake?

Alienous

Wait a second ...
Wasn't one of the big reveals in Uncharted 3 that he wasn't even Nathan Drake, but had adopted that name as a kid? Are they retconning the twist that he wasn't related to Drake?

Doubt it. That was alluded to even in Drake's Fortune.

Looks like I might need to play U3 again. I don't remember it was mentioned in the game that Nate is 100% not a descendant of Francis.
Though it was stated according to Merlowes creepin on Nate that he MIGHt not be a Drake, but an impostor of someone.

There was never a certainty that Nate is or is not a Francis Drake descendant. At least from what I can recall.

dr_rus

Wait a second ...
Was said ten times in this thread already - nothing in the teaser points to Francis Drake being in the game at all. Some people just don't read.

Mau ®

I just finished Uncharted 3 and I absolutely loved it!!

I hope Nathan Drake is still in the series. He's very likeable IMO. Im buying a PS4 for this!

AKyemeni

Mau ®;94720732 said:
I just finished Uncharted 3 and I absolutely loved it!!

I hope Nathan Drake is still in the series. He's very likeable IMO. Im buying a PS4 for this!
Maybe give Drake a beard.

I'm not getting a PS4 until I hear more info about the release date

LastNac

If there is one thing i think that could certainly benefit from the new hardware it would be the execution of the small dialogue exchanges between characters during the gameplay.

Dont get me wrong, I love the quips between Drake and Sully about bringing a Hooker to church, or Drake and Cutter arguing while looking for the right star. That being said I would really want to see the faces animated to match the personality of the line. There is a little bit of disconnect when I hear the characters chuckling when they give a line only to swivel the camera in front of them and watch their facial expressions stay the same and their mouth movie in an almost "puppet" manner.

Given how powerful the PS4 is in comparison to the PS3 and also how talented ND is as a developer I see no reason why the characters cant be as expressive during gameplay as they are in cutscene. Heck, be that expressive during gameplay and we'll continue to need less cutscenes overall.

That would be a big NextGen moment for me.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
If there is one thing i think that could certainly benefit from the new hardware it would be the execution of the small dialogue exchanges between characters during the gameplay.

Dont get me wrong, I love the quips between Drake and Sully about bringing a Hooker to church, or Drake and Cutter arguing while looking for the right star. That being said I would really want to see the faces animated to match the personality of the line. There is a little bit of disconnect when I hear the characters chuckling when they give a line only to swivel the camera in front of them and watch their facial expressions stay the same and their mouth movie in an almost "puppet" manner.

Given how powerful the PS4 is in comparison to the PS3 and also how talented ND is as a developer I see no reason why the characters cant be as expressive during gameplay as they are in cutscene. Heck, be that expressive during gameplay and we'll continue to need less cutscenes overall.

That would be a big NextGen moment for me.
Excellent point. I'm really excited to see what ND does with animation this gen. TLoU had some of the best and most varied animation that I've ever seen and they said they constantly had to fight RAM limitations to get them in. I can't imagine what they'll do on PS4 from an animation standpoint.

LastNac

Excellent point. I'm really excited to see what ND does with animation this gen. TLoU had some of the best and most varied animation that I've ever seen and they said they constantly had to fight RAM limitations to get them in. I can't imagine what they'll do on PS4 from an animation standpoint.
The idle animations in TLoU were amazing.
url]

I'm actually a person who liked Drake touching walls, rubbing the back of his neck, and swatting flies in UC3. Something about those little interactions made the world feel organic, the details furthered the sense of immersion

Going forward I would like to see expressions with what is said. A sense of location during the conversation would be nice too; Drake could direct his head slightly in the direction of the person he is talking to. Ofcourse, it would be inorganic if he just snapped his attention to Sully but even in the real world our body language seems tilted to the person we are talking about, even if we aren't facing them. Voice inflections, tone, and volume would be nice as well. If Sully is far away from Drake I would expect him to speak louder, etc.

I think L.A. Noire had a moment early on that really impressed me a few years ago. It was fairly early in the game during one of the fewest shootouts; Cole took cover by a doorway and yelled "Cop killers get the chair." It was the same level of quality animation that was found in cutscene during gameplay.

I know ND could knock something like that out of the park. Wold love to see Sully crack a joke during gameplay and Drake smile in return. Like I said, that would be a nextgen moment.

If it doesn't star Nathan, I won't be rushing out to purchase a PlayStation 4 right away. I'll wait till the game is about twenty bucks and the system has been out for about a year just like with the PlayStation 3.

EDIT: Oh, good. Seems like he will be. Be crazy not to have him in the games.

cormack12

Gold Member
It looks like that thing that was left in the GTA V screenshots by the devs. Like a size reference or something - can't quite recall exactly.

Top Bottom