• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria: Azure Revolution - New enemy character, Yasunori Mitsuda composing music

Soriku

http://gematsu.com/2016/01/valkyria-azure-revolution-unveils-enemy-character-maxim

Valkyria-Azure-Maxim_01-19-16.jpg

The latest issue of Weekly Famitsu reveals a new character set to appear in Sega and Media Vision’s upcoming PlayStation 4 RPG Valkyria: Azure Revolution.

Maxim is an enemy character that will stand before the protagonists.

Additionally, the magazine has an outline of the battle system included with the “Battle Demo Ver. 1.0” of Valkyria: Azure Revolution bundled with first-print copies of Valkyria Chronicles Remaster.

Famitsu also has an interview with Yasunori Mitsuda, who is in charge of the game’s music, and Sarah Lim, who sings the “Song of Death” sung by the Valkyria.

Valkyria: Azure Revolution is due out for PlayStation 4 in Japan this winter.

Thanks, Famitsu.

Soriku

Sakimoto has composed some good music (FF XII being my favorite of his) but I also feel a lot of his music is dry. Glad they got Mitsuda.

Tizoc

New guy kinda reminds me of the dark skinned dude from the new gundam anime dor some reason

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
While I wish they didn't call this Valkyria anything I'll still pay attention when Mitsuda is involved.

Soriku

Sorry, I missed that news about the battle system with the remaster?

Is that like VR missions?

No there is a demo of Valkyria Azure Revolution bundled with the VC remaster. They're taking feedback into account for the final game so the battle system is just version 1.0 for now.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
You had my attention, but now you have my rabid cravings.

Yazuka

Now just confirm it for a western release SEGA and I'll throw money your way.
Hopefully that name trademark for the US/EU will lead to us getting it.

duckroll

Wow totally didn't expect Mitsuda to be an enemy character composing music. Kinda scary.

Non-troll reply: I bet Mitsuda is just composing the theme track and ending song, while his minions compose the rest. As a big boss like Sakimoto now, why would he dirty his hands making a real soundtrack himself? :p

Mitsuda best years have passed, so I'm kinda meh about this news.
This, xenosaga 1 had terrible musical direction and the only memorable track being the final boss theme. After such amazing OSTs from Chrono Trigger, Chrono Cross, and Xenogears, Mitsuda's touch has been lost

yamaneko

Soma bringer has a interesting soundtrack from mitsuda but never saw the light on west, i want see mitsudasan work in this game.

Theses days the new children's come with this rage about old Japanese composers...

Bitchs Please.

Sarah Lim = Sarah Alainn. After Xenoblade, some of their collaberations on her second album, and her vocal tracks on the Chrono album, I think we can expect something great.

Wow totally didn't expect Mitsuda to be an enemy character composing music. Kinda scary.

Non-troll reply: I bet Mitsuda is just composing the theme track and ending song, while his minions compose the rest. As a big boss like Sakimoto now, why would he dirty his hands making a real soundtrack himself? :p

Exactly. Mitsuda hasn't composed much of note in a long time, so it's not really a big deal.

raven777

some details on the demo

-the demo will have 2 missions

-moving through the field: player can control the character and move around the field. You can attack the enemy symbol by firing the gun (R1) or using sub-weapon (L1 + square). Hitting the enemy with the weapon will trigger the battle in your advantage. You can press circle button while moving around to hide in the shadows or dirt.

-close combat: Once you enter close combat, your 4 face buttons will be bind with sword/melee attacks and you can use these to attack enemies. In certain situations during battle the emotions of your allies and enemies will change and this is important to the battle. So it's wise to alter enemies emotions with range attack before entering close combat.

salromano

Updated our post with more details: http://gematsu.com/2016/01/valkyria-azure-revolution-unveils-enemy-character-maxim

Maxim

He was born in Empire territory, but was selected as a military officer by Emperor Claudius and became a young soldier. Ragnite was placed inside his body as a human experiment, so he is able to use Magic Arts of overwhelming power and is thus a Magic Arts soldier.

Battle Demo Ver. 1.0

Weekly Famitsu has details on the LeGION battle system of the “Battle Demo Ver. 1.0” of Valkyria: Azure Revolution included with first-print copies of Valkyria Chronicles Remaster.

1. Mission Start – There are two playable missions in the demo: “Morda Practice Fight” and “Morda Suppression Fight.”

2. Battlefield Movement and Long-Distance Attacks – Players control characters through direct movement. You can fire at enemy symbols and use sub-weapons for long distance attacks. During movement, you can press the Circle button to hide behind nearby sandbags and cover. You can fire with R1, or use your sub-weapon for a long-distance attack with L1 and Square. If your attack is successful, you’ll be in a better state when you get to close combat.

3. Close Combat – In close combat, you’ll attack enemies through four buttons assigned to your weapons and Magic Arts. During battle, the reactions of allies and enemies change based on specific situations and have a big influence on the battle’s development. If you surprise an enemy with a long-distance attack, or something along those lines, their reactions could change, giving you an advantage.

If HP reaches zero in battle, that party member will be in a near-death state, and a countdown timer to death will begin. You’ll need to get to your ally and heal them before their countdown timer reaches zero for them to survive. Otherwise they’ll die. You can’t revive an ally who’s died.

The background music will seamlessly change between fields and battle.

The demo might be available day and date with the release of Valkyria Chronicles Remaster on February 10.

Yeah, I really don't get a good idea of what the combat system's going to be like. Seems like something that's better shown through video than text.

DJwest

Sakimoto has composed some good music (FF XII being my favorite of his) but I also feel a lot of his music is dry. Glad they got Mitsuda.
Do yourself a favour and listen to his Vagrant Story soundtrack. It's my favourite soundtrack ever, tied with Final Fantasy VIII from Nobuo Uematsu.

Lunar15

Man that's weird, Sakimoto to Mitsuda.

I love Mitsuda, but Sakimoto's stuff for VC is pretty incredible. Although, I do think his standard field music is kinda bland at times. But I guess it makes sense given the tonal shift.

Nyoro SF

Glad we finally got more news about the demo. I hope Mitsuda is actually composing the whole soundtrack and not just a few small pieces.

wmlk

Man that's weird, Sakimoto to Mitsuda.

I love Mitsuda, but Sakimoto's stuff for VC is pretty incredible. Although, I do think his standard field music is kinda bland at times. But I guess it makes sense given the tonal shift.

I think a more exotic sound should be fine for a departure in the series like this.

Glad we finally got more news about the demo. I hope Mitsuda is actually composing the whole soundtrack and not just a few small pieces.

Or maybe he's composing the small of two pieces.

I'm sorry.

I'm sure Mitsuda is just doing a track or two with those who work under him doing the bulk as per usual.

Ubernube

Sounds like they're essentially going for a real time VC-like combat system rather then turning it into a generic hack and slash like I saw a lot of people fear (and I admit, I did too a little). Color me intrigued.

Nyoro SF

Or maybe he's composing the small of two pieces.

I'm sorry.

I'm sure Mitsuda is just doing a track or two with those who work under him doing the bulk as per usual.

A bit sad; I don't like it when creators bankroll off their names when they're not the ones creating (most of) the work themselves. Maybe that's selfish of me.

Also with 2 missions in the demo, I hope those are some meaty missions with a decent amount of options. If they want me to give feedback that is.

- J - D -

No Sakimoto and we keep getting more of these terrible character designs. Should've just left Valkyria in the graveyard.

Sakimoto has been a more consistent composer over the years than Mitsuda has been. Also Sakimoto has composed way more music himself than Mitsuda has been for the past decade. Here's hoping Mitsuda doesn't phone it in.

Top Bottom