• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VentureBeat: Microsoft’s Xbox and gaming sales decline 9%

Trup1aya

Xbox One S will be a distant third to an equally cheap PS4 and likely NX as far as budget options go come next year. Going premium-price with Scorpio will be a mistake in that case. Especially considering you can probably pick up a PS4K with either Spider-man or God of War bundled at $399 next fall.

The Xbox 1 S will have a $299 version this fall. Which ps4 will be equally cheap?

Having options in price ranges the competition ISN'T operating in is probably their best way to operate at this point.

They Scorpio figures to be much more powerful than the PS4 Neo. With it, They are targeting gamers who value that power. Pricing it to lose money, would be a failure to capitalize on that market.

jdmonmou

It's not meant to be mass market product. It's premium console, it meant to be high margin milk your fans kinda thing not something to push install base.
I bet even Neo is going to higher than 399, maybe launch at $499 with 1tb HDD.
Premium console is just more spin from Microsoft touting Scorpio as the most powerful console ever. Microsoft's Xbox Gaming Division needs this to be a success because Xbox One sales are not good right now and they are trying to push ahead to the next generation. The biggest clue that Microsoft wants Scorpio to be a mass market product is that the time between announcement and release is a year and a half. Microsoft is pushing ahead with the next-gen and will phase out the Xbox One. Therefore it would be insane for them to sell it for anything more than $399. This thing has to sell and make a profit to recoup the costs that Microsoft spent developing and marketing it.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Xbox One S will be a distant third to an equally cheap PS4 and likely NX as far as budget options go come next year. Going premium-price with Scorpio might be a mistake in that case. Especially considering you can probably pick up a PS4K with either Spider-man or God of War bundled at $399 next fall.

All of that might be true, but that doesn't mean they are simply content to just incur losses by selling the Xbox Scorpio at a loss.
I'm much more inclined to believe they are creating a new segment of 'premium' console hardware sold at premium prices.

While it wouldn't make Xbox the dominant platform in terms of marketshare, it does stand a chance to actually make a good profit.
I see it as a similar strategy as with the Xbox One Elite controller. The thing is selling well for what it is and I suspect there's huge margins on those products so it actually makes the company money. That sounds like a saner strategy than bet big on a new console just to regain marketshare while potentially losing billions in the process.

Chris1

The Xbox 1 S will have a $299 version this fall. Which ps4 will be equally cheap?

It's $299 now, probably gonna be $250 if the last few holidays are anything to go by then $199 by the time the Scorpio launches, can't see the slim being $199 and the Scorpio being $599+, that's too big of a price gap imo.

But the PS4 will get a price drop aswell to $250 ($300 perm) during the holidays aswell is my guess, they can't keep it at $350 with the neo at $399. I think even $300 is a bit much to be honest.

Wollan

All of that might be true, but that doesn't mean they are simply content to just incur losses by selling the Xbox Scorpio at a loss.
I'm much more inclined to believe they are creating a new segment of 'premium' console hardware sold at premium prices.
I'm actually kinda keen to see this. Considering the time I spend gaming I can easily justify the $.

wapplew

Premium console is just more spin from Microsoft touting Scorpio as the most powerful console ever. Microsoft's Xbox Gaming Division needs this to be a success because Xbox One sales are not good right now and they are trying to push ahead to the next generation. The biggest clue that Microsoft wants Scorpio to be a mass market product is that the time between announcement and release is a year and a half. Microsoft is pushing ahead with the next-gen and will phase out the Xbox One. Therefore it would be insane for them to sell it for anything more than $399. This thing has to sell and make a profit to recoup the costs that Microsoft spent developing and marketing it.

Xbox one sold 3m unit, $499 at launch. There will be enough fans eat Scorpio up at $499, $599 even. It will make lots of money for MS.
Console install base is second priority for them, like many poster said. Xbox one S should be the main device to push install base, Scorpio is the main money maker.

Trup1aya

It's $299 now, probably gonna be $250 if the last few holidays are anything to go by then $199 by the time the Scorpio launches, can't see the slim being $199 and the Scorpio being $599+, that's too big of a price gap imo.

The $299 version is dropping sometime after the $399 but I wouldn't expect prices to drop as quickly as you say. The standard Xbox one will probably be that cheap by then though.

MS will have standard Xbox's sold at clearance prices, and the Xbox One S at $299 as a 'best bargain' price. And the Scorpio as a premium option. Scorpio won't reach mass market pricing until the next "generation" of hardware is introduced... At which point it will function as an entry level Xbox 2.

The $299 version is dropping sometime after the $399 but I wouldn't expect prices to drop as quickly as you say. The standard Xbox one will probably be that cheap by then though.

MS will have standard Xbox's sold at clearance prices, and the Xbox One S at $299 as a 'best bargain' price. And the Scorpio as a premium option. Scorpio won't reach mass market pricing until the next "generation" of hardware is introduced.

Discounts on XBOX One S will be a good indicator for the new SKU's performance. A $50 discount during holiday is "normal business" of course, but a discount mayhem like they did to get rid of the vanilla XBOX One stock, not so much.

mejin

MS will have standard Xbox's sold at clearance prices, and the Xbox One S at $299 as a 'best bargain' price. And the Scorpio as a premium option. Scorpio won't reach mass market pricing until the next "generation" of hardware is introduced... At which point it will function as an entry level Xbox 2.

I really doubt they will have 3 skus in the market. MS should stop production of XB1 OG soon IMO since it's clear people don't want it.

I'm curious to know if they will overship S too. If they make this mistake again, we will have bargains for it when Scorpio arrive.

Trup1aya

I really doubt they will have 3 skus in the market. MS should stop production of XB1 OG soon IMO since it's clear people don't want it.

I'm curious to know if they will overship S too. If they make this mistake again, we will have bargains for it when Scorpio arrive.

They won't be producing Xbox 1 OG, but retailers will be clearing inventory. It's a defacto 3rd SKU, and it'll be dirt cheap.

Sony killed they're rep with 599 US DOLLARS stigma, a ton of bad press and people leaving the brand. MS wants no part of that price stigma.

But they already killed their rep in 2013, furthermore it wouldn't be the same thing since alongside the premium console that Scorpio is going to be, you'll have the cheaper Xbox S.

It's supposed to be a premium product, not their flagship mainstream offering.

Bgamer90

Banned
Xbox One S will be a distant third to an equally cheap PS4 and likely NX as far as budget options go come next year. Going premium-price with Scorpio will be a mistake in that case. Especially considering you can probably pick up a PS4K with either Spider-man or God of War bundled at $399 next fall.

I really don't understand why anyone would think the NX would do better than any platform that has actual third party support as of right now.

While it wouldn't make Xbox the dominant platform in terms of marketshare, it does stand a chance to actually make a good profit.
I see it as a similar strategy as with the Xbox One Elite controller. The thing is selling well for what it is and I suspect there's huge margins on those products so it actually makes the company money. That sounds like a saner strategy than bet big on a new console just to regain marketshare while potentially losing billions in the process.

Yep. I agree with all of this. It seems like Microsoft knows where their strengths are when it comes to home consoles. They know they can't compete with Sony on a worldwide level so they are focusing on making as much money as they can in the areas where Xbox is relevant in while hoping that people in territories outside of that will use the Windows store to play the Xbox console exclusives.

Conduit

Banned
Xbox one sold 3m unit, $499 at launch. There will be enough fans eat Scorpio up at $499, $599 even. It will make lots of money for MS.
Console install base is second priority for them, like many poster said. Xbox one S should be the main device to push install base, Scorpio is the main money maker.

6 months later MS ditched Kinect, i mean they offered Xbone without Kinect. Reason was awful sales since beginning of 2014. That March ( Titanfall with unnoficial price-cut 450$ ) month, man! Oh, man, what a good NPD thread back then.

How the fuck will a more expensive SKU with dubious software support is going to help sales?
The game was lost after MS gutted most of their 1st party studios and decided to reveal that always online scheme.

madmackem

Having options in price ranges the competition ISN'T operating in is probably their best way to operate at this point.

They Scorpio figures to be much more powerful than the PS4 Neo. With it, They are targeting gamers who value that power. Pricing it to lose money, would be a failure to capitalize on that market.
Pricing it to high and it will do zero in the battle to gain back market share from Sony. It can't be silly prices ala PS3 launch prices, let's not forget come launch those specs they announced this year shouldn't be that expensive a year or more later when it launches.

I really don't understand why anyone would think the NX would do better than any platform that has actual third party support as of right now.

I agree that NX home console will have a hard time on the long run. But it's first year, given that they have Zelda as launch title, promises a good start, hence some severe competition for both Sony and MS. How NX will do on the long run is another story.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
But they already killed their rep in 2013, furthermore it wouldn't be the same thing since alongside the premium console that Scorpio is going to be, you'll have the cheaper Xbox S.

It's supposed to be a premium product, not their flagship mainstream offering.
But MS has certainly rebuilt some of that trust and regained some customers (myself being one) since that clusterfuck. I'd think they wanna do whatever they can to keep that going and a $599 price would be big step backward.

And people need to understand that MS HAS to present Scorpio as a secondary premium option right now..otherwise who is supposed to buy an Xbox One S during the next 18+ months? I really think by Fall 2017 the 1S will be the secondary console and Scorpio will be the focus.

Sweep14

At 399$ it will not make any profit at all imho

mejin

They won't be producing Xbox 1 OG, but retailers will be clearing inventory. It's a defacto 3rd SKU, and it'll be dirt cheap.

I dunno how'd it work. But I'm skeptic about retailers make space for 3 XB SKUs in their stores.

By Fall 2017 original XBO should be as unwanted as Wiiu.

wapplew

NIntendo have killer IPs, have talented dev team, have world wide appeal, have family appeal, have Japanese third party support, have super secret out of the box idea.
Western third party? They go where money goes. If NX have viable install base, western support will come.
Nintendo have all the ingredients to come back, they only need to have some common sense on hardware, service and policy. They shown a lot of sense lately.
If you ask me, between MS and Nintendo, the later is more likely to come back.

madmackem

Yep. I agree with all of this. It seems like Microsoft knows where their strengths are when it comes to home consoles. They know they can't compete with Sony on a worldwide level so they are focusing on making as much money as they can in the areas where Xbox is relevant in while hoping that people in territories outside of that will use the Windows store to play the Xbox console exclusives.
We are talking about ms here, they won't like being second even if they are making some money, they could be making even more if they start and claw back some install base with the scorpio, they have a chance at doing that if they price the machine well. I'm not saying lose crazy amounts at launch but they can't price it too high. It's what did them a massive boost when 360 launched they had price and coming out first. It's why ps4 also did well it was way cheaper at launch, Spenser isn't dumb he saw what a silly launch price did to Xbox one.

Bgamer90

Banned
How the fuck will a more expensive SKU with dubious software support is going to help sales?

Dubious software support?

And a more expensive SKU can indeed help sales if its marketed right -- showing why it's a better buy than its older predecessor. Last gen sales (for example) went down shortly after this current gen started with many people buying cross gen games.

This also won't be the only SKU either. Sales will be split between S and Scorpio with the original Xbox One getting completely phased out.

Wollan

The NX might go down in fiery flames like the Wii-U. Who knows.
But whatever form that console will take it will be different from the PS4/Xbox S with the classic Nintendo lineup and whatever new-thinking. PS4/Xbox overlaps with each other and why not buy a PS4 at the same price (which is now happening worldwide at a 2-3 : 1 ratio). Otherwise you want something unique or you want a second console in which case the NX will likely stand out more.

Hydrargyrus

Xbox, as brand, seems to be in a really bad situation.

First, PS4 is selling more than 2:1 ww and the XO sales are going to be down or, in the best case, flat compared with the previous year.
The PS4 sales are expected (Sony's sales projections) to be over the last year's (20 millions) and PS4N is supposed to be released in October.

In one hand we have the PS4 that is increasing its sales (that are already huge) and PS4N and PSVR that, probably, make those sales bigger during the next year. And in the other hand is XO that by this time is down in its sales and XO Slim that will help in the Q3 and Q4 (IMO, the sales will be flat this year).

So Xbox (as a brand) has to "survive" one year in a situation of decreasing or flat sales (that were already bad in comparison) against PS4+PS4N+PSVR.

Maybe I'm completely wrong and Scorpio makes a 180º turn of the situation, but it doesn't seem that a "premium" console could make up this thing.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Pricing it to high and it will do zero in the battle to gain back market share from Sony. It can't be silly prices ala PS3 launch prices, let's not forget come launch those specs they announced this year shouldn't be that expensive a year or more later when it launches.

Who cares about marketshare when you can sell a steady clip of premium priced consoles that actually have decent profit margins? This battle you speak of exists mainly only on gaming forums, a business tends to rely on profits.

Going after sheer marketshare with low margin or products sold at a loss is a big gamble that could potentially lose them billions. I don't think the current situation is favorable for them to attempt that strategy and it has always been a very fickle market.

The 'premium' console market though, is up for grabs. It doesn't exist yet and they could seize it for their own. Like how they basically invented the premium controller market last year.
If they can get in on selling low volume high profit consoles and come up in the green, then that's a better strategy right now than betting big on winning an imaginary race that they'll likely never win with just the US/UK.

Sweep14

We are talking about ms here, they won't like being second even if they are making some money, they could be making even more if they start and claw back some install base with the scorpio, they have a chance at doing that if they price the machine well. I'm not saying lose crazy amounts at launch but they can't price it too high. It's what did them a massive boost when 360 launched they had price and coming out first. It's why ps4 also did well it was way cheaper at launch, Spenser isn't dumb he saw what a silly launch price did to Xbox one.

Spencer will not have a blank check with the price of Scorpio though. If they don't want to bleed money on it. Competition's prices need also to be taken into account. If Scorpio is released at 399$ (very doubtful IMHO) it could have to fight a cheaper PS4K and probably an even cheaper NX. Not an easy battle at all.

wapplew

Xbox, as brand, seems to be in a really bad situation.

First, PS4 is selling more than 2:1 ww and the XO sales are going to be down or, in the best case, flat compared with the previous year.
The PS4 sales are expected (Sony's sales projections) to be over the last year's (20 millions) and PS4N is supposed to be released in October.

In one hand we have the PS4 that is increasing its sales (that are already huge) and PS4N and PSVR that, probably, make those sales bigger during the next year. And in the other hand is XO that by this time is down in its sales and XO Slim that will help in the Q3 and Q4 (IMO, the sales will be flat this year).

So Xbox (as a brand) has to "survive" one year in a situation of decreasing or flat sales (that were already bad in comparison) against PS4+PS4N+PSVR.

Maybe I'm completely wrong and Scorpio makes a 180º turn of the situation, but it doesn't seem that a "premium" console could make up this thing.

Xbox one S is doing super fine. If anything Xbox one S is more likely to be the turning point than Scorpio.

Matt

It's not going to be under $399.

It is probably going to be over that number, possibly really over it.

But I'm not building the thing, and MS itself isn't sure of the price right now. I'm not claiming to be able to tell the future.

Peterc

Most people think that, as they are aware that creating a non-subsidized "monster of a console" comes at a price, literally.

I'd want it. If it had 100% Steam support. Which won't happen, like, ever. Would never buy this thing if it is bound to the XBOX / Win 10 store.

Why not. They could use the xbox store like it is if you like that. You would notice many differents. It yes is much better, cheaper and allot of possibilities. Gone with all those mainstream crap. Well it will still exist, but hey we would have blizzard support too. It would nail it

Bgamer90

Banned
NIntendo have killer IPs, have talented dev team, have world wide appeal, have family appeal, have Japanese third party support, have super secret out of the box idea.
Western third party? They go where money goes. If NX have viable install base, western support will come.
Nintendo have all the ingredients to come back, they only need to have some common sense on hardware, service and policy. They shown a lot of sense lately.
If you ask me, between MS and Nintendo, the later is more likely to come back.

I don't see it yet. They need popular sports and shooters. If they don't have them then I don't see how the system's situation will cause Playstation or Xbox to have to worry about competing with NX. It seems like Nintendo is going to play to its strengths with the NX, similar to what MS seems to be doing with the Xbox brand -- it's just that the Xbox brand currently has many popular current gen third party titles while Nintendo doesn't (hence why I would have to see the NX's line-up before making a statement as strong as it will do better than Xbox and/or Playstation).

We are talking about ms here, they won't like being second even if they are making some money, they could be making even more if they start and claw back some install base with the scorpio, they have a chance at doing that if they price the machine well.

They seemed to be very happy with being second during the 360 gen. 360 beating PS3 in North America made the 360 sound like it was doing far better in overall sales when it really wasn't. I agree with Hoo-doo in that they seem to be focusing more on profit now compared to a battle for first place console sales which would pretty much be impossible for them to win due to Playstation's worldwide popularity and longer history.

I'm not saying lose crazy amounts at launch but they can't price it too high. It's what did them a massive boost when 360 launched they had price and coming out first. It's why ps4 also did well it was way cheaper at launch, Spenser isn't dumb he saw what a silly launch price did to Xbox one.

I think they know that anything over $399 would be a tough sell. I could see the Scorpio being $499 during its first full year though. $499 is high but not high to the point in which the big gamers who want more power/a better box would refuse to pay for it; $299 for S and $399 for Scorpio would be the most logical pricing in my opinion.

The NX might go down in fiery flames like the Wii-U. Who knows.
But whatever form that console will take it will be different from the PS4/Xbox S with the classic Nintendo lineup. PS4/Xbox overlaps with each other and why not buy a PS4 at the same price (which is now happening worldwide at a 2-3 : 1 ratio). Otherwise you want something unique or you want a second console in which case the NX will likely stand out more.

The Wii U already stands out really well against PS4 and Xbox One in terms of library as a second console. Xbox One has still done better than it in overall sales even though it's a year younger and a big reason for that is due to sports and shooter support.

Xbox will continue on having titles that won't be on Playstation and Nintendo. As long as that is true and as long as the brand will continue to have solid game support, then people will continue on going to the brand for their primary console; That's Nintendo's current problem -- VERY few view Nintendo home consoles this way. Hence why I can't see the NX doing better than Xbox or Playstation -- especially before I see/know the system's line-up.

I can (obviously) base the Scorpio's line-up on what's currently coming to the Xbox One.

madmackem

Who cares about marketshare when you can sell a steady clip of premium priced consoles that actually have decent profit margins? This battle you speak of exists mainly only on gaming forums, a business tends to rely on profits.

Going after sheer marketshare with low margin or products sold at a loss is a big gamble that could potentially lose them billions. I don't think the current situation is favorable for them to attempt that strategy and it has always been a very fickle market.

The 'premium' console market though, is up for grabs. It doesn't exist yet and they could seize it for their own. Like how they basically invented the premium controller market last year.
If they can get in on selling low volume high profit consoles and come up in the green, then that's a better strategy right now than betting big on winning an imaginary race that they'll likely never win with just the US/UK.
Market share leads to more profits surely? If the Scorpio is priced to high it will sell mainly to people they already have in the Eco system, a $100 profit on a small amount of consoles to mostly people already bought into the Eco system doesn't really do much. I'm not saying lose money on each system but if they can get it close to what many expect the neo to launch at then they could start clawing back market share, they lost this time due to a crazy launch price this is the time to right that, again not be writing of billions but coming as close to cost as possible.

Don't forget to include NX in your calculation. Due to WiiU's bad performance a lot of people tend to underestimate them. But at least in 2017, their new product launch will of course have an impact on the overall market.

Wollan

The Xbox Scorpio might be a really good 'reference PC' going forward with 'casual/mass-market' expansion being aimed to happen on the Windows Store side of things. Way more people owning Windows 10 machines then there are consoles (though Steam statistics indicate that there are more PS4's out there than equivalent or stronger PC's).
Maybe Xbox will forever just be a strong core-group of gamers, just enough to support high-budget games like Halo without banking on it to be a success on Windows Store in addition. The day Windows Store starts to outdo Xbox by a good margin then they can consider the option of going both feet in on Windows Store only.

wapplew

I don't see it yet. They need popular sports and shooters. If they don't have them then I don't see how the system's situation will cause Playstation or Xbox to have to worry about competing with NX. It seems like Nintendo is going to play to its strengths with the NX, similar to what MS seems to be doing with the Xbox brand -- it's just that the Xbox brand currently has many popular current gen third party titles while Nintendo doesn't (hence why I would have to see the NX's line-up before making a statement as strong as it will do better than Xbox and/or Playstation).

What's make you so sure NX won't get popular sports and shooters? You think EA, AB, Ubi etc hate money?
Wii don't have mainstream shooter or sport, it still sold the most. Never underestimate Nintendo.

Zedox

I think a lot of people are trying to make Scorpio into the next Xbox generation when it isn't. It's not going to be a mass market item. It's going to be just like the Xbox Elite Controller. Marketshare isn't what the Xbox Elite Controller is after (though it would love to be the most bought controller), it's after being a premium product after users who want a "premium" experience. Scorpio is the same thing. Yea, would they love for it to be the most successful console, yea, but are they marketing it and pricing it as it would be, probably not. A premium priced product is like a MacBook, surface, Samsung TV, Sony TV, etc...they are going for straight profit and a product that backs it up in the eyes of its users.

Can the Scorpio invigorate sales? Sure. Will it be the mass market device out the gate? Probably not. That's what the Xbox One S is for. I think people seem to forget that Microsoft just has to sell to their strengths and bring the games that gamers want to play at the end of the day? Why? Because this generation they are being beaten by Sony 2:1...but what does that also mean? They can sell their Xbox to all those people who don't have one. That's why they need to focus on their games and have good hardware so if there's enough games that a person wants, there will be good enough hardware to justify getting the other system.

Just like how there are those who don't have a PS4, there are much more who don't have an Xbox. Yes, they aren't missing out on multiplats, but they are missing out on exclusives, so MS just needs to bring the number of good exclusives up in order to sell to those people.

Also, Sony is doing the same thing with PS4N. They already have the majority of gamers, they just need to get those who don't have their system yet. They are in a better position to do so.

jdmonmou

I think a lot of people are trying to make Scorpio into the next Xbox generation when it isn't.
We will see, but I just don't believe Microsoft will support Xbox One very long once Scorpio is released. Scorpio is Microsoft pushing ahead to next-gen because they've already lost this gen. The gap is just too big spec-wise between the two and it doesn't make sense to anchor the Scorpio to an outdated console. That no gamer left behind promise will come back and bite Microsoft in the ass.

Bgamer90

Banned
What's make you so sure NX won't get popular sports and shooters? You think EA, AB, Ubi etc hate money?

Nintendo is far behind in the online gaming space. Sports and shooters are pretty much the most popular console games that are online multiplayer focused. People aren't going to instantly switch to Nintendo after more than a decade of Playstation and Xbox being known for these games.

On top of this, if Nintendo is releasing the NX in early 2017 then that greatly impacts it getting popular third party sports titles. Those titles will already be out on PS4/XB1 for 4-5 months. The NX could possibly get 2018 season sports titles in late 2017 but very few are going to buy the NX for them when these games will surely be available on the other two systems.

Wii don't have mainstream shooter or sport, it still sold the most. Never underestimate Nintendo.

Wii had a good amount of EA sports titles. The titles faded away when Wii sales started to fade away.

Wii sold well thanks to people of various backgrounds and ages being able to easily understand the game controls. I can't see the NX getting anywhere close to that level of attraction and success.

Same here. I see this delusion all over the forum and it baffles me. We don't even know what NX is or how much it will cost, but even then unless it has third party support it'll never sell better than Xbox, unless it has a gimmick that causes another Wii-phenomenon which no one should be banking on. It's a ridiculous hypothetical.

All I hear is 'in a perfect world' arguments.

IF Nintendo has amazing third party support.
IF NX is powerful.
IF it hits big with the mainstream.
IF it has a large install base.

Let's be real and look at historical data and facts, the only one of those that's a sure thing is the second one. And even then it seems like we're looking at parity with vanilla PS4 and Xbox One at best, based on rumours.

Hoo-doo

Banned

Because the market that eats up those games isn't generally found on Nintendo platforms.

EA, AB and Ubi will all likely put low-investment ports on NX and if those fail to sell, the platform is dead to them. We've seen it happen before.

Sorry for being daft here, but does NX have comparable performance with Scorpio and Neo?

Would love to see Nintendo make a really powerful console again, like the good old days of the SNES and the N64.

As for the S, I too think that it is a stopgap product.
4K will be mass market by 2020, but today it isn't.

So, what is the point of the S in 2016?

Bgamer90

Banned
Sorry for being daft here, but does NX have comparable performance with Scorpio and Neo?

Would love to see Nintendo make a really powerful console again, like the good old days of the SNES and the N64.

As for the S, I too think that it is a stopgap product.
4K will be mass market by 2020, but today it isn't.

So, what is the point of the S in 2016?

The S is basically an "Xbox One slim" with extra features. It should completely replace the original Xbox One sometime in 2017.

Xbox Scorpio will more than likely be pushed similarly to a (true) next gen console even though it isn't. Major reveal event, rebranding, ads talking about the power it has over the original Xbox One, etc.

Trup1aya

It's not a marketshare move. It's a margin move, and gives them a headstart on the next cycle of hardware, since Scorpio will be able to play Xbox 2 games.

Lady Gaia

Xbox one S is doing super fine. If anything Xbox one S is more likely to be the turning point than Scorpio.

That's the baffling part about this strategy. The Xbox One S should have been the public focus this year. It's a solid offering that occupies a decent niche with UHD playback at a mass-market price. Microsoft seems to be telegraphing their lack of confidence by announcing Scorpio at the same time while being vague about the intended pricing structure.

I know the intended effect is to get people to hold off a Neo purchase, but it's even more likely to get people to hold off a One S purchase.

We don't know yet, but (almost) no one expects NX to be on level with Neo, let alone Scorpio, given their track record.

Nintendo has said flat out that they're not going to compete on a raw power basis. I expect something in the Xbox One / PS4 ballpark that can easily be targeted with ports from games designed for the competitor's basic offerings.

REDSLATE

Wow at people saying 599 US dollars for Scorpio, Ill go on record right now that there's not a chance in hell MS goes that high for the standard console ...

I'm saying 399 for the standard console, maybe 499 for a bigger Hard disk.

It's not as if $600 is inconceivable... The Xbox One launched at $500.

Zedox

That's the baffling part about this strategy. The Xbox One S should have been the public focus this year. It's a solid offering that occupies a decent niche with UHD playback at a mass-market price. Microsoft seems to be telegraphing their lack of confidence by announcing Scorpio at the same time while being vague about the intended pricing structure.

I know the intended effect is to get people to hold off a Neo purchase, but it's even more likely to get people to hold off a One S purchase.

Nintendo has said flat out that they're not going to compete on a raw power basis. I expect something in the Xbox One / PS4 ballpark that can easily be targeted with ports from games designed for the competitor's basic offerings.

You mean the same Scorpio that was leaked before hand? People knew about the Scorpio, Microsoft just confirmed it as the news was leaking anyways. It's a more powerful machine that going to be priced as such. If the person was waiting on the price, they'll wait but if it's too much they can just buy a XBOS. Also, we don't know the price of the Neo. With MS coming out with Scorpio end of next year and Neo sometime by March I presume, we'll know the price of that and MS can price accordingly. Either way, we gotta wait.

Top Bottom