• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VentureBeat: Microsoft’s Xbox and gaming sales decline 9%

Trup1aya

Generation-less between Xbox One and Xbox Scorpio, same as how PS4K is not a new generation.
But he did say that he saw 4K gaming as an "inflection point" and wanted to use the Scorpio to bring that to console gaming. That to me says that if there was no 4K gaming to be had on console-cheap hardware now, there would be no Scorpio.

No they mean going forward, they aren't going to be beholden to the "generational" approach of releasing hardware and restarting their installed base.

Yes there will be technical inflection points to base new hardware around, but they will have "rolling starts" into each new technical standard.

Still the xb1 hardware can't be the dev standard forever. When Xbox 2 launches, scorpio will be the new standard. When Xbox 3 launches, 'Scorpio 2' will be the new standard.

SOR5

Sure they are ok if consumer want to wait for Scorpio.
They will not be ok if consumer choose NX or Neo, that's why they announce something for them to wait for, instead of going other places before they have something to sell.

It's both a deterrent for competitors and an announcement for developers to get ready for launch time

The only way you could achieve both is announcing this year

Zedox

Sure they are ok if consumer want to wait for Scorpio.
They will not be ok if consumer choose NX or Neo, that's why they announce something for them to wait for, instead of going other places before they have something to sell.

I think they will not be ok if the user doesn't choose Xbox at all rather than just a NX or Neo. I do understand what you are saying but I think at the end of the day they want to make sure that they sell their console period.

wapplew

Microsoft will always be at the top power-wise, always!

They both build with AMD available tech, nothing is unknown tech wise.
You either launch early less power, launch late more power or launch same time same power. Very predictable.
If MS want, they could always choose to launch a year later than Sony and be most powerful.

This situation kind of reminds me of Nintendo's predicament. More power, less power? More exclusives, less exclusives, online services... Does it even matter anymore? It doesn't seem like mindshare cares to move much. What really can be done to change it?

This situation kind of reminds me of Nintendo's predicament. More power, less power? More exclusives, less exclusives, online services... Does it even matter anymore? It doesn't seem like mindshare cares to move much. What really can be done to change it?

Without the brand getting a reboot I don't see any of this changing anything worldwide. Power isn't the issue when you're not well liked.

wapplew

Without the brand getting a reboot I don't see any of this changing anything worldwide. Power isn't the issue when you're not well liked.

I have a suggestion, make Xbox a MS PC brand in console form factor, running on legit Windows 10 with steam and everything, at affordable price.
You know which platform have the second most Japanese support? Steam. This will fix a lot of Xbox problem.
Who doesn't want a low price 6TF PC in console form factor? $599? That's a steal.
I mean Xbox already half way there, no generation and all, why not go all in? That's the original Xbox dream right?

I kind of agree.

Why bother with the "console" name these days?
Consoles used to be bespoke hardware setups.

Now they are proper PC's with controllers.

jdmonmou

I have a suggestion, make Xbox a MS PC brand in console form factor, running on legit Windows 10 with steam and everything, at affordable price.
You know which platform have the second most Japanese support? Steam. This will fix a lot of Xbox problem.
Who doesn't want a low price 6TF PC in console form factor? $599? That's a steal.
Well steam machines didn't do so well.

SOR5

Only thing is, you're potentially sacrificing your own store and game sales (which is probably the most profitable thing apart from subscriptions) for people who'll go to Steam.

etta

my hard graphic balls
No they mean going forward, they aren't going to be beholden to the "generational" approach of releasing hardware and restarting their installed base.

Yes there will be technical inflection points to base new hardware around, but they will have "rolling starts" into each new technical standard.

Still the xb1 hardware can't be the dev standard forever. When Xbox 2 launches, scorpio will be the new standard. When Xbox 3 launches, 'Scorpio 2' will be the new standard.

Hmmm, I don't know, because when "Scorpio 2" comes around in 4-5 years time, $200 GPUs will probably push around 20-25 TF in 2021. 6TF would hold it back significantly, more so than the 1.35 TF holds back the 6 TF now.

That's probably where Xbox as a console is heading, towards a full Windows 10 box.

wapplew

Only thing is, you're potentially sacrificing your own store and game sales (which is probably the most profitable thing apart from subscriptions) for people who'll go to Steam.

Does MS even care? They are perfectly fine and allow everyone open their own store on PC, why can't they do the same on a PC in console form factor?
Think about it, it can play LoL, dota2, CS:go, WoW, all kind of free 2 play Korean MMO, it will fix the global appeal problem, lack of Japanese support problem etc.
It can even cross play with PS4, doesn't even need to ask.

SOR5

Does MS even care? They are perfectly fine and allow everyone open their own store on PC, why can't they do the same on a PC in console form factor?
Think about it, it can play LoL, dota2, CS:go, WoW, all kind of free 2 play Korean MMO, it will fix the global appeal problem, lack of Japanese support problem etc.

It's a risk, but a compelling one and you are right. But they'll have to say goodbye to things like Xbox Live Subscriptions

Sydle

Let people have the choice and offer better incentives that sway them to choose the Windows Store version.

There would still be royalties from disc sales, accessories, paid apps, etc.

Sony make laptops and PC's running Windows 10, so why are consoles any different?

Microsoft obviously want's one standard. A Windows 10 box made by Sony, Panasonic, Samsung.....etc.

mejin

Or why doesn't Sony stick Windows 10 on PS4/5/6.

There is actually no need for Microsoft to be producing hardware imo.

That's exactly what some people don't understand.

MS won't continue this struggle on making xbox hardware indefinitely cause in the end they really don't need it.

jdmonmou

That's probably where Xbox as a console is heading, towards a full Windows 10 box.
I think it would be more logical for them to start moving towards the cloud. That would be a good way to increase Xbox Live subscriptions and raise the price. That strategy fits towards their goal of cloud first and fewer devices.

Chris1

Sony make laptops and PC's running Windows 10, so why are consoles any different?

Microsoft obviously want's one standard. A Windows 10 box made by Sony, Panasonic, Samsung.....etc.
Because Windows 10 is just software and the OS is available for everyone to use, it's not the same. Are they gonna make the Xbox OS available for everyone to buy/use? I doubt that, even if it is a stripped down Win10.

I'm sure it'll become a Win10 box (I mean, it kind of already is), but I don't see them offloading the hardware to a dozen other manufacturers. That brings its own issues for consumers that I'd hope MS want to avoid, aswell as them getting into the hardware area more than ever with Surface, Hololens, phones, etc. Software is obviously more important to them but I don't think they want out of hardware completely and their recent direction is the opposite of that.

I wouldn't say they're perfectly fine, they just don't really have an option because people will stick to previous windows versions if they try to lock it down to their own store so they're kind of stuck with it. If they were creating the first ever version of windows today? I'd put every last penny on them locking it down to their own store only. So yes, I do think they care.

SOR5

Or why doesn't Sony stick Windows 10 on PS4/5/6.

There is actually no need for Microsoft to be producing hardware imo.

But they're fully entitled to make their own good flagship hardware if they want like the Surface Pro

Xbox can be their Surface Pro equivalent for games and others can make W10 boxes if they want

c0de

Sony might never have a chance to be the most powerful console longer than a year going forward. That's something MS promise, they don't want to be underpower again.
With MS generation-less approach, I can see that happen.
Of course they still can. It's only a time of when they release the console and how much they think consumers will spend on hardware.
This applies to both companies.

STEaMkb

What are peoples expectations regarding the name and appearance of Scorpio?

Will it take on the same name and appearance as Xbox One or will Microsoft offer a new design and name?

SOR5

What are peoples expectations regarding the name and appearance of Scorpio?

Will it take on the same name and appearance as Xbox One or will Microsoft offer a new design and name?

Here's what I think

Technically, a massively refined Xbox One

Marketing and image wise, distanced as much as possible with a different name so that you think it's an entirely new product

Like Vista Service Pack 2 and 7

Purest 78

MS should lose all ties with X1 for the Scorpio. Should name it Xbox 4 and call it a day. MS needs to take the L with X1 and move on.

But they're fully entitled to make their own good flagship hardware if they want like the Surface Pro

Xbox can be their Surface Pro equivalent for games and others can make W10 boxes if they want

Great idea. Offer an OS so other PC manufacturers start building boxes using this OS. But the real cool stuff is that it can also run PC games....

Wonder why they didn't come up with that business model anytime sooner...

To make myself more clear: Any attempt to introduce a PC with a closed software environment ("XBOX games only!") is doomed to fail.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Which doesn't mean anything in that context. Both companies failed at their main focus and can also shine in a field that they are nut known good for.

Both companies failed at their main focus? What are you even talking about?

Say what you will, but Sony is still a very highly valued brand when it comes to consumer electronics like smartphones, laptops, televisions and cameras but also in things like medical equipment, data storage and other markets.
Microsoft has also been making strides in this department with their newer Surface line of products.

I think you kind of lost the thread of your own argument. Sony and Microsoft are both very capable or producing high-end hardware. The idea that Sony is limited in their technical capabilities to put out a high end console is nonsense. Which was the original point.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

That does not make selling Xbox 2 and Xbox 3 easier, it makes it difficult as the number of gaming titles that can exclusively focus on what they can do is likely to be smaller than what would happen if you focused on backward instead of forward compatibility. You need to sell the console on other features and/or hope that the cheap wind you get running on the newest HW are enough. The current model has low profit margins compared to phones as you need to keep the price low and deliver a big performance increase each generation while the likes of Samsung and Apple overcharge people greatly each year (Apple's stated goal is to reach 50% profit margins this year).

Forward compatibility is necessary if you release new HW every 1-3 years as generations less than 5 years are not sustainable. I am still of the opinion that console gamers are better served by the classic console generation model, but we will see it plays out.

c0de

Both companies failed at their main focus? What are you even talking about?

MS is a “software company“ and failed several times with software as Sony is a “hardware company“ which failed several times with hardware. Nothing more, nothing less. Having a main focus on something doesn't mean that you can expect something better than the competition by default.

gamz

MS should lose all ties with X1 for the Scorpio. Should name it Xbox 4 and call it a day. MS needs to take the L with X1 and move on.

Why?

Why not offer two tiers like they are doing? Looks like the pre-orders are doing well for X1 S.

Uh, it's different because a) Sony are already the dominant player in the console market and b) Sony makes hundreds of millions off software sales. What you're suggesting would be a suicidal move.

And for similar reasons, that's also why you're never going to see an open Windows 10 box from Microsoft because it just doesn't make any sense for them to produce a console-like box only for all the software money to go to Valve or whoever. A Windows 10 box is an obvious move from them but it'll be a closed off system, one where you can only use Microsoft's store and play UWP games on.

jdmonmou

Why?

Why not offer two tiers like they are doing? Looks like the pre-orders are doing well for X1 S.
Developers won't be able to unleash the full power of Scorpio because they will have to keep parity with Xbox One. It could also go the the way with games not performing well on Xbox One. But it will be difficult for Microsoft to please both audiences.

Zedox

It really makes no sense why people keep talking about making an Xbox OS for other manufacturers to use. How would those other manufacturers really differentiate themselves from the MS Xbox and from a Windows 10 PC?

You have Microsoft making an Xbox that already does everything and introducing UWP apps which is MS' future for apps.

If you open it up to a Windows 10 box, how is it any different from a Windows 10 PC? Because of a fixed spec? Once again, how is that different from what devs target now (and you clearly don't want them to have specs for all those manufacturers including MS XBO/S/Scorpio)? It has Steam? How is that any different? There's no place for manufacturers to differentiate themselves from MS to really make a difference in this space.

Xbox is basically already a Windows 10 box that is specified for gaming and television. If you want a Windows 10 PC (with steam, etc...) then just get a PC and put it next to your TV.

----------------------------------

Also...Xbox 4 should definitely be the name for Scorpio.

SOR5

Also...Xbox 4 should definitely be the name for Scorpio.

But then they'll make PS5 and Sony will have the more impressive number!

Remember that the Xbox 2 was called 360 because Playstation 3 was a bigger number than Xbox 2

Zedox

But then they'll make PS5 and Sony will have the more impressive number!

Remember that the Xbox 2 was called 360 because Playstation 3 was a bigger number than Xbox 2

I've stated this before. Xbox 4 and PS4 Neo will be at the same timeframe and generation. By the time the PS5 comes out (which I don't think will be until 2020) it can Xbox 5. PS5 is not coming out anytime soon.

Purest 78

Why?

X1S will do well the 1st month or 2 then will drop fast Imo. I think Alot of those sales will come from people trading in The older model.

SOR5

I've stated this before. Xbox 4 and PS4 Neo will be at the same timeframe and generation. By the time the PS5 comes out (which I don't think will be until 2020) it can Xbox 5. PS5 is not coming out anytime soon.

So you're thinking

2013-Xbox One
2013-Playstation 4
2016-Playstation 4 (NAME)
2017-Xbox 4
2020-Xbox 5
2020-Playstation 5

Developers won't be able to unleash the full power of Scorpio because they will have to keep parity with Xbox One. It could also go the the way with games not performing well on Xbox One. But it will be difficult for Microsoft to please both audiences.

You already have this situation with console games that are cross-platform with PC.

Dubz

They both build with AMD available tech, nothing is unknown tech wise.
You either launch early less power, launch late more power or launch same time same power. Very predictable.
If MS want, they could always choose to launch a year later than Sony and be most powerful.
360 launched early with more power, or at least better performance on third party titles. PS4 and X1 launched simultaneously and PS4 has more power and was cheaper at launch.

Zedox

So you're thinking

2013-Xbox One
2013-Playstation 4
2016-Playstation 4 (NAME)
2017-Xbox 4
2020-Xbox 5
2020-Playstation 5

Yea...kina like:

2013-Xbox One
2013-Playstation 4
2016-2017 -Playstation 4 (NAME)
2017-Xbox 4
2020-Xbox 5
2019-2020-Playstation 5

I think PS5 will either be end of 2019 or sometime in 2020.

You have today PC gamers complaining about consoles holding games back. I can imagine the threads on the digital foundry articles now.

PC gamers that think consoles hold back games don't make any sense.
Truth is we have to see hows these things going to sell to see what MS and Sony plan will be going forward .

Top Bottom