• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VGleaks: Orbis Unveiled! [Updated]

omonimo

Banned
Durango's bandwidth cannot "overtake" Orbis's bandwidth. However, if Durango has "enough" bandwidth to take care of what's needed, then having more RAM can certainly come into play.

I still think DDR3 is useful just for CPU process, like kinect or OS, IA etc etc, I don't understand how 8 GB of DDR3 could be used efficiently for the graphic with the limit of the bandwith. I don't think to have 8 GB of DDR3 could give some advantage than the 4 GB of GDDR5. Where I'm wrong? More RAM not means that much, it's why I'm not convinced about microsoft choice.

Tagg9

"UPDATE: some people is confused about the GPU, here you have more info about it:
- 4 additional CUs (410 Gflops) “extra” ALU as resource for compute
"

PiIZUOd.gif

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Let me see :

The extra CUs were in fact...included in the original 18 CUs count.

Talk about extra...hahaha...

Well, it was only Eurogamer who talked about them as if they were additionals on top of the 18 CUs already mentioned.

And it's easy to see how that misunderstanding came about.

I would guess: 18 CUs, 4 are under more explicit programmer management (vs hw thread scheduling for the other 18), so that if you want to do GPGPU, you can do them on these 4 without relying on the hw thread management to balance things optimally. You can still use them for graphics, but not as transparently as one 18-CU GPU - you'd have to schedule them separately. A bit like SPU<->RSX rendering in PS3 but easier since they'll be able to run regular shader programs.

AOC83

Banned
I can't wait for the crying and unrealistic expectations for it to be the same price or cheaper than the WiiU.

And finally the heart breaking meltdowns when the price is revealed.

Sound like a solid 400 € cosnole, don´t know why anybody should get a meltdown.

Day 1 swap to SSD

Sony should should put 16Gig flash on all SKU's and sell one with no hard drive so we can add our own. At least with 16 Gig, you can still use the system if you stick to just Blu-Ray discs until you feel like adding a drive. This let's them have a cheaper SKU.

i-Lo

Well, it was only Eurogamer who talked about them as if they were additionals on top of the 18 CUs already mentioned.

And it's easy to see how that misunderstanding came about.

I would guess: 18 CUs, 4 are under more explicit programmer management (vs hw thread scheduling for the other 18), so that if you want to do GPGPU, you can do them on these 4 without relying on the hw thread management to balance things optimally. You can still use them for graphics, but not as transparently as one 18-CU GPU - you'd have to schedule them separately. A bit like SPU<->RSX rendering in PS3 but easier since they'll be able to run regular shader programs.

So are these 4 CUs being reserved to compensate for Jaguar's potential performance shortfall?

McHuj

they are saving that for another article, they are milking all the info they have, why going all out at once when they can milk their info for more hits?

Yeah, that's my suspicion. They got a couple of docs for both systems and are just releasing the info bit by bit

Not familiar with tech so can someone rank Wiiu, Orbis, and Durango using the following ladies. Scarlett Johansson, Lindsay Lohan, and Ke$ha. Thanks.

Sethos

Banned
All this jargon... Cannot comprehend ...

How many gamecubes is this?

I think Gamecube is too small of a measuring factor, would be like measuring the distance from the earth to the sun in centimeters. No, let's instead measure in Wii Us and then the number would be 1,200.

Don Mattrick in panic mode right now, changing the console's RAM as we speak

I would honestly not be surprised, but I don't think it'll happen. It's too late for a change. Unless... does anyone know when it is that Microsoft doubled the 360's RAM after Epic and others pushed for it ? How close were they to launch ?

Top Bottom