• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VGleaks: Orbis Unveiled! [Updated]

paskowitz

i need a gran turismo promo for the ps4, now

gt2s3sik.gif

30+ cars on track+1080p@60fps+day/night+dynamic weather. Believe!

I really would like to see more cars on track with heavy LOD scaling and even not rendering cars that cannot possibly be seen. It would be awesome to race against 50+ cars at Le Mans or the Nurburgring.

Race-Start-500.jpg
2011_24_Heures_du_Mans_2-_AUDI_SPORT_TEAM_JOEST_AUDI_R18_TDI_FNA_1124AFNA_4670_n.jpg

FordGTGuy

Banned
make sure to tell us what 200 + watts can offer in a desktop plate.

Considering that no one building a PC would run 200+ watts your question is quite.... hmm how could I put this in words??? Oh wait... dumb.

I really would like to see more cars on track with heavy LOD scaling and even not rendering cars that cannot possibly be seen. It would be awesome to race against 50+ cars at Le Mans or the Nurburgring.

I'm not buying another Gran Turismo unless all the cars in the game are of a certain quality and the game doesn't launch half-baked. 60 fps locked please if Forza can do it so can Gran Turismo.

Reiko

Banned

Tessellation might make it possible for 30 car races. Believe.

omonimo

Banned
Lol at a 299$ price. Get a bit realistic please
We arent in 1996 anymore. Your 299$ of 15 years ago is worth 100$ with todays value

So you think orbis will sell something at 399$? Good luck to sony after psvita. People is no more interest to spend its money so easily, looks to wiiU/3ds...it's not a coincidence. Better to sony (& microsoft) to have the lower price possible because next gen will sell half to the past. Cheap model/base model it's the only way to risk less.

Occulus rift?... HMZ? 3D Tv's?

Oculus rift is niche hardware. the PC crowd might love it, but it's not meant for the living room.

I'm not familiar with HMZ- but I doubt that's mass market either.

3D televisions have largely been a marketplace failure. they didn't catch on. 4K TVs are the next big thing, supposedly.

pixlexic

Banned
Or you could listen to the tech savvy people :)

I already know. 8 gigs of ram is overkill there won't be a game that pushes 8 gigs of ram in a given level or area of a game so 4 is more than enough but that's not to say 8 gigs will not be a benefit because it will. I just think higher speced hardware is going to produce a prettier img in general.

Perkel

Banned
I think everyone missed "Extra"

Audio Processor (ACP)
Video encode and decode (VCE/UVD) units
Display ScanOut Engine (DCE)
Zlib Decompression Hardware

Zlib Decompression Hardware is pretty big deal.

Also imo 4CU for GPGPU is fantastic. Right now most of physic stuff is CPU based and only some games support Nvidia hardware. 4CU for GPCPU will mean better physic and other stuff which CPU struggle to do so things like cloth and hair physic. Sure it will mean FX for rest will be worse but at least they will get physic right.

Think something like psyhx for every game.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I already know. 8 gigs of ram is overkill there won't be a game that pushes 8 gigs of ram in a given level or area of a game so 4 is more than enough but that's not to say 8 gigs will not be a benefit because it will. I just think higher speced hardware is going to produce a prettier img in general.

You're not far off. Hence why the GDDR5 mem in Orbis is critical.

sTeLioSco

Banned
Considering that no one building a PC would run 200+ watts your question is quite.... hmm how could I put this in words??? Oh wait... dumb.

also noone builds a gaming pc for less than 400

so dumb persons like you will complain that pc gaming is a smaller niche than consoles

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.

Even though I'm a whore for image quality I'd happily trade that ( I mean come one we can't have it all ) for some mindblowing physics in games. Be it destruction, hair/cloth, fluid dynamics, whatever... I just want my games to be less static.

Oculus rift is niche hardware. the PC crowd might love it, but it's not meant for the living room.

I'm not familiar with HMZ- but I doubt that's mass market either.

3D televisions have largely been a marketplace failure. they didn't catch on. 4K TVs are the next big thing, supposedly.

3D is still one of the best movie going theatre experiences around, 3D is cheaper to implement than 4K next gen, Most people buying new TVs will have options to play and watch 3D. Oculus Rift is gaining ground among PC gamers and if there was a store demo at say Best Buy, many people would walk out with it bundled with Orbis or Durango.

Even though I'm a whore for image quality I'd happily trade that ( I mean come one we can't have it all ) for some mindblowing physics in games. Be it destruction, hair/cloth, fluid dynamics, whatever... I just want my games to be less static.

Still hoping for Cell to be in for BC and as a computation for physics.

FordGTGuy

Banned
also noone builds a gaming pc for less than 400

so dumb persons like you will complain that pc gaming is a smaller niche than consoles

Sorry but why would you automatically assume my opinions on subjects without knowing me?

I'm quite aware hardcore PC Gaming is a smaller niche than console gaming and I'm not complaining at all. In fact I own a Xbox 360 and owned a PS3 but it YLOD a month after the warranty went on it.

Mr Swine

Banned
I think everyone missed "Extra"

Audio Processor (ACP)
Video encode and decode (VCE/UVD) units
Display ScanOut Engine (DCE)
Zlib Decompression Hardware

Zlib Decompression Hardware is pretty big deal.

Also imo 4CU for GPGPU is fantastic. Right now most of physic stuff is CPU based and only some games support Nvidia hardware. 4CU for GPCPU will mean better physic and other stuff which CPU struggle to do so things like cloth and hair physic. Sure it will mean FX for rest will be worse but at least they will get physic right.

I think that physics on hardware might be to demanding right now if they do like developers are doing with PhysX on games like borderlands 2 and Mafia.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
will this be able to run BF3 on ultra? 1080p/60fps

Yes. I think the LOD is gimped on PC but ini editing helps that. If you take stock "great looking BF3" at 1080p 60fps on PC, you will be able to do that on Orbis without much issue.

omonimo

Banned

I still remain curious to know how can DDR3 at 106 GB of speed (more or less) overtake 176 GB of GDDR5 even with the double of the RAM. Can someone delight me?

i-Lo

- Zlib Decompression Hardware
Certainly interesting for loading and streaming.

Does this pertaining to streaming things like graphical data from the HDD (from compressed format to uncompressed format as it is fed into the GPU)?

Damn... So in terms on compute power its more powerful than my 7770, but I can force 16x AF at no cost really in almost every game. And its glorious.

Billinear filtering in all console games again!!
http://i.imgur.com/oB0CWvw.jpg

It looks like the 18 is supposed to be multiplied by 4 because of semantic difference. But phosphor112 wrote that it still may be incorrect.

Erasus

So on Durango RAM speed, is DDR3 even enough for games? Only integrated/APU cards use it on PC, dont all desktop cards use GDDR type RAM? In a closed box sure devs can stream in and optimize more, but just because of the RAM speed diff Im sure Orbis will have a slight lead even though Durango has more.

Then again it might be "easier" to dump and load of data to the huge Durango RAM pool instead of swapping data in and out on Orbis....
Dev comments?

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
yup and then some, and there's nothing OMG FABLEDDD about it.

No it won't.

Both systems are bound by optical media and magnetic storage as primary data input. Faster ram does not truly make up for the shrink in pool. It does allow for some interesting things between memory and GPU and CPU, particularly post processing. Orbis will likely have better AA too and likely better use of tessellation. for cross platform, it depends entirely on how efficient Durango GPU truly is - if its as rumored, cross-platform games will look identical. Both systems could achieve fantastic things with different strengths in mind, too.

But if you have a game on Durango utilizing 7 GB of ram (assuming 3GB is potentially incorrect) and a game on Orbis utilizing 3.5 GB of ram... That's a massive disadvantage that the speed of GDDR5 cannot make up. There's no technically feasible way it can. Procedurally generated textures couldn't do it either. Even 1.5 GB is a large hill to climb. Porting down from Durango could be a problem if they're using 7 GB for a scene (which I have my doubts either GPU could even handle that much texture/geometric data)

If the source of input was much faster, then there would be no question. This is all assuming specs are as rumored. If Durango efficiency isn't as rumored, then Orbis would be by far the most powerful platform but still be handicapped by ram pool.

Either way, I am truly curious where and how everything falls. I am so excite.

3D is still one of the best movie going theatre experiences around, 3D is cheaper to implement than 4K next gen, Most people buying new TVs will have options to play and watch 3D. Oculus Rift is gaining ground among PC gamers and if there was a store demo at say Best Buy, many people would walk out with it bundled with Orbis or Durango.

Still hoping for Cell to be in for BC and as a computation for physics.

I know plenty of people with 3D capable tvs, and not a single one of us actually use it. I dont even like paying extra to watch a 3D movie unless i receive 1st hand accounts that its worth it.

Pooya

But can it run Crysis?

Also... Seems like it may be retailing at $1000+. Some of that stuff is insane.

nope, actually everything looks economical and very normal. $400-$500 range at most.

Crysis 3 on max setting? if it needs a 690gtx like nvidia suggests in the other thread, probably never, maybe at lower resolutions.

Corto

Nice clean summation of all the ramblings on the hundred and so page threads that we had floating around on the past weeks.

Top Bottom