• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Volition announces Saints Row Gat out of Hell (PC/PS4/XB1/PS3/360, $20, Jan 27, 2015)

But there was craziness in SR2 (Voodoo immortal dude..ect) but it was balanced, everything was right in SR2, The Boss as a charachter, the story (it's also balanced between been quirky and serious) and all other stuff. It's just that Volition seems to not know who to keep it between balanced and parody-like.(in case of SR3).

I think they can have SR2 again but it just seems like Volition want to take the easy route.

See, I didn't think anything in SR2 was crazy. Some of it wasn't your typical fare, but it was mostly grounded and I loved it for that. The moment they moved away from that is when the series started to lose its appeal for me. I still enjoyed SR3 for what it was and enjoyed messing around with the super powers in SR4, but it lacked that grounded feel that made SR1 and SR2 such a joy to play.

I'm hoping with GOoH, they'll have got the extreme crazy out of their system and will go back to what made SR1/SR2 so good. I have my doubts, but I'm not willing to write off the series just yet.

But what new direction? I honestly don't know where SR is going anymore. some people may say SR3 was their new identity (and away from been a GTA clone) but then SR4 came and it is just Crackdown/Prototype clone. and now this game look like just some random ideas put together.

I wondered the same too. At the moment, they seem happy not to have a fixed direction beyond making their game the most balls to the wall crazy and having ever ludicrous set-pieces with ever cheesy characters.

I appreciate that Volition is trying new things, but I really would like to see them dial it back to SR3 levels of crazy for the next game, at least in terms of gameplay. They can do whatever story they want as long as the sandbox gameplay takes place in a new, realistic city that feels as alive as Stilwater did. Each game since 2 has made the open world smaller and less interesting to explore, and while I'm glad New Hades is actually new, I doubt it'll be all that interesting to explore since it was built to be impressive while you're flying through it at high speeds.

GamerSoul

I appreciate that Volition is trying new things, but I really would like to see them dial it back to SR3 levels of crazy for the next game, at least in terms of gameplay. They can do whatever story they want as long as the sandbox gameplay takes place in a new, realistic city that feels as alive as Stilwater did. Each game since 2 has made the open world smaller and less interesting to explore, and while I'm glad New Hades is actually new, I doubt it'll be all that interesting to explore since it was built to be impressive while you're flying through it at high speeds.

I think their next game will be more realistic. A reimagined Stilwater would be amazing and I know they're capable of it. Saying that, I'm also excited for this. Just when you think the Saints have conquered it all...

People who prefer old SR/GTA to Third and IV are an alien species to me. Like, how does this happen? How is that train of thought even possible?

Simple. The open worlds in those open world games are actually interesting compared to 3 and 4

Not everyone gives a crap about the open world.

I would be legitimately happy with a zany 10-12 hour story and another 3-4 hours of side activities.

I never complete open world games. Most have already outstayed their welcome by the final mission.

Top Bottom