• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch Dogs 2 PS4 Pro - First Look/Analysis | Digital Foundry

thatJohann

I have a PS4 Pro on a 1080 TV. Do I need to configure any settings to make sure I'm getting the most out of my console and Watch Dogs 2?

Nothing to configure on a 1080p TV set, just make sure your PS4 is set to 1080p in system settings and the downsampling will happen automatically.

vin-buc

This shouldn't be pinned on the PS4 Pro completely tho. It's up to the developer to create multiple modes, no? And from what I've read, BF1 and TF2 have significant performance increases on top of the rez buffs.

I couldn't watch the video but what type of drops are we seeing here?

EDIT: I just saw the numbers posted above.

Ferr986

Are we now doubting DF or what?

Of course they try to stress test the game to reach the problems the game may have, but that's their job, accurate analysis on when the gam may look/perform better or worse.

These kind of analysis is not about what the average player could see, it's literally analysing better.

Also, they have their tools to analyse framerate, that someone can't see a frame drop or a tearing while playing doesn't mean it doesn't exist. You can say they nitpick or something, but it's their job. If they would miss reporting these framerate drops in stress situations they would get a lot more shit.

Now, if people overreact with these results or not is another story, but they're not responsable of it.

runs WORSE on PS4 Pro?

Boy o boy am i glad i didnt fall for the hype.

PS: yes i know its downsampling and that results in worse performance but wtf . If that`s the reason then DON`T downsample. Let it run on 1080p in beautiful locked 60 fps. Which is probably not even possible because a cheap ps4 cpu and open world dont mix.

Feel bad for everybody paying 400 bucks. this thing is going down in price before christmas.

gonna stay with my Ps4 peasant edition until they fix the PROblems :D

This reads like a comment on a Breitbart article.

Here's my stress test video on the PS4 Pro: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YW1MF_yJyRk

Please keep in mind this was the worst-case intentionally created scenario of my two hour run with the game earlier. I can only count about 4 screen tears, but they are not noticeable unless you go looking for them with slowing down the video, etc.

The game is a blast, runs better than the original and looks absolutely fantastic on the Pro.

That's right. Watch my unprofessional stress test, and see if you can notice any frame drops or screen tearing.

Youtube compression and bare assets aside, it looks fine to me.
Game seems like a lot of fun too. But turn off the internet nonsense in game i heard.
Did you try it with or without?

This reads like a comment on a Breitbart article.

Yeah, this concern nonsense is a thing we just have to laugh about every now and then.
These people read exactly what they want to read and read it in a certain way.

Are we now doubting DF or what?

No, I love their technical analysis and retro videos. I'm just sharing my experience with the game so far.

Youtube compression and bare assets aside, it looks fine to me.
Game seems like a lot of fun too. But turn off the internet nonsense in game i heard.
Did you try it with or without?

Without. Turned off all the online interactions from in the in-game menu.

ufo8mycat

So for those with a 1080p display, playing Watch Dogs 2 on a PS4 Pro, how much of the jaggies are removed with the downsampling?

kingkenny76

I wish DF would give the average frame rate of their play time instead of a snap shot of a particular section of the game, like NX gamer does. For all we know the the game might perform better overall on the PS4 Pro but because we only see a snap shot we can't tell.

Fliesen

let's hope Devs get a better feeling for what kind of "upgrade" they can throw at the pro that the upgrade in IQ doesn't result in a downgrade in performance.

I'm gonna buy the pro for Christmas. I can afford it and it's objectively the more powerful console. I'll give devs the benefit of the doubt that some of these pro versions were simply rushed out without proper testing. - also, i'm someone who doesn't really notice framedrops, really. I played Far Cry 3 on the Xbox 360 and i didn't mind the swamps in the Witcher. (i do appreciate 60fps of course)

I wish DF would give the average frame rate of their play time instead of a snap shot of a particular section of the game, like NX gamer does. For all we know the the game might perform better overall on the PS4 Pro but because we only see a snap shot we can't tell.

Since it's capped at 30, i don't think the pro could compensate in any situation. And OG PS4 seems to be pretty much a locked 30

Tagg9

Why are people blaming pro for what appears to be a software issue?

Because somehow people think the Sony certification team is going to compare every single section of every Pro-compatible game to make sure the performance is the same or better as the base PS4. This is on the developers to get right, and it's as simple as that.

As I just purchased a Pro...I really hope this is just on the developers shoving it in to get it for launch. Incredibly disappointing.

Yeah. I think this is the case. I think future releases will be better. It's a developer thing. Some devs got it right with the Pro launch others maybe didn't spend enough time on optimization for the Pro unfortunately.

Here's hoping the PC versions turns out well with the delay.

kingkenny76

Since it's capped at 30, i don't think the pro could compensate in any situation. And OG PS4 seems to be pretty much a locked 30

This is what I meant, we don't know if the OG PS4 is locked 30 because we don't have an average. It might well have an extra 5 frames better average on the OG PS4 but @ least we would know if they put an average counter on the screen as well as the frame rate @ 1 particular time.

Ushay

Not a great start for Sony (and Ubi for that matter). BUt I'd give them the benefit fo the doubt as it's still very early days,

There is much to be done with the hardware.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I don't know, maybe I'm more receptive but I don't mind a 30 FPS game dropping to 28 FPS when stressed, especially if it's giving a much higher resolution and other visual enhancements like draw distance etc over the base version.

Akronis

Developers should give people more options so they aren't forced into bullshit that compromises framerates :/

This applies in general, not necessarily to WD2.

I'm surprised no one has linked this Dualshockers article: http://www.dualshockers.com/2016/11/14/watch-dogs-2-ps4-pro-ps4-screenshot-comparison-anti-aliasing/

This is at 1080p, not even 4K!

Especially for this picture (Pro on top):

Watch_Dogs_2_Antialiasing.png

HeelPower

Here's my stress test video on the PS4 Pro: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YW1MF_yJyRk

Please keep in mind this was the worst-case intentionally created scenario of my two hour run with the game earlier. I can only count about 4 screen tears, but they are not noticeable unless you go looking for them with slowing down the video, etc.

The game is a blast, runs better than the original and looks absolutely fantastic on the Pro.

lol wow! This game has classical music ?

That's Bach's amazingly epic D minor Keyboard concerto!!! Best take away from this video!

Taker34

Banned
Ubi redeemed.
Just goes to show that it's not really problems with the PS4 pro - it's devs not using it properly. Wonder if Bethesda will fix Skyrim.....

Ok I couldn't keep a straight face.

Skyrim received an update which improved performance according to the patch notes... but it's still running under 30 fps in a bunch of scenes on the Pro. I wonder if we even get a working Pro patch this year.

Cartho

Skyrim received an update which improved performance according to the patch notes... but it's still running under 30 fps in a bunch of scenes on the Pro. I wonder if we even get a working Pro patch this year.

I think they're probably really limited by that dreadful engine. I hear it doesn't do multi core support well at all so good PC performance is obtained by brute forcing it with powerful cores - which is not these consoles' strong suit.

Really hope the reason why we're gonna wait so long for TES VI is that they're building a completely new game engine.

Deepo

Feels a lot better to play now on the Pro. Noticed frequent frame drops when driving previously. That's no longer the case in 1.04. Great stuff.

I don't know, maybe I'm more receptive but I don't mind a 30 FPS game dropping to 28 FPS when stressed, especially if it's giving a much higher resolution and other visual enhancements like draw distance etc over the base version.

Most normal people don't care..

Hoping to be proclaiming "based Ubi Montreal" myself here pretty soon, getting off work in 30 min and going straight home and getting this patch. Well, I kind of hope my PS4 already downloaded and installed it but that automatic download feature seems to never work properly for me anymore.

The frame dips weren't super game breaking but they were kind of annoying for me before. As I said before, it was more or less vehicle handling that suffered the worst for it, but being on foot never seemed too bad on its gameplay impact to me. Would be thrilled to find that it's pretty much zero impact all-together now, though. :)

After playing this game for about 2 hours, I can't help but feel that DF's analysis is not representative of my experience.

Framerate is extremely stable in general playthrough, I didn't notice any screen tearing or frame-rate issues during my two hour run except when I intentionally caused havoc for the purpose of stress testing, and even then it wasn't as bad as the analysis.

I'm in the process of uploading a test video for you guys to judge and make up your mind.

One last thing, the game looks absolutely fantastic on the Pro.

That's right. Watch my unprofessional stress test, and see if you can notice any frame drops or screen tearing.

They should. And yeah it's fixed now :)

My stress test on patch 1.04
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndeafVqkiAk

Driving fast during night time
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcQstmoxjhw

You criticized DF and posted a video showcasing poor performance. It's like when DF highlighted ROTTR input lag, we had a bunch of people claiming its fine and they're super sensitive to lag and were uploading videos with double the input lag. It's fine you can't see it or feel but don't try to equate your experience to everyone elses. You also have PS4 OG not dropping and in ROTTR we have Xbox 360 showing half the lag side by side.

DF flagging this up probably just helped fix game. Your follow video shows a much more stable playthrough so try not to flag up DF who are just reporting their findings, its a tech analysis, not how some people can't see or feel it or are and feeling they're having a dig at the console. Pro was dropping and tearing, OG wasn't end of.

Top Bottom