• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch Dogs 2 PS4 Pro - First Look/Analysis | Digital Foundry

Wow people losing there shit over 2 or 3 frames, come on son it's launch week and the upgrades to iq etc are worth the odd drop here and there at launch, if it's a practise that continues months in then yeah but a few games dropping a few frames here and there worth the trade off for the massive increase in iq for now.

I don't care about the frames , i'm much more concerned by the tearing. According to that video , it'smuch more frequent on the pro and that annoy me greatly.

It's kinda ridiculous that when you look at patch notes via update history on ps4 it says 'go to watchdogs.com for details', then there's nothing there. All other games have notes on patches, shouldn't be a hassle to include a few lines of text of what is fixed/added.

There's a reason why PS4 has an update history option. Some devs should make proper use of it.

jett

D-Member
Wait, really? How so?

Checkerboard rendering implies it's artificially doubling a lower resolution (1600x1800 gets turned into 3200x1800). 1400p (2560x1440) has more native pixels.

UC4 doesn't run worse. It has miniscule frame drops exactly in places where the regular console has framedrops in the game.

The end result looks better through, and requires more rendering time IIRC.

Honestly I'm not really that familiar with checkerboard 1800p to say if one looks better than the other (FFXV's IQ is kinda poor though). 2160p checkerboard does look extremely good.

Hmm...below, all negative points to PS but positive ones for XB, seems to me someone is not washing that console warrior shirt for a while.

Ironic that you spent 2K on PSPRO, PSVR but downplaying the benefits of both before, SONY sure convinced you amirite? Next time stick with your script so you will be happy : )

You appear to be the one waiving the console warrior flag loud and proud as you have trolled through my post history you have not actually taken in what i have said about the pro or the VR.

Let me refresh you so you can bold and quote my text again in the future
and have it all in one place

1) Sony has done a shit job in trying to explain to consumers what the ps4 pro really does and now upon release its execution of what their marketing (and lack of) and what they are delivering are 2 different things..some of this may change with patching but if you are looking for a 4k res greater than the ps4 std....your not getting it.

2) Build Quality - The Console is just as loud as the launch console...no hiding this but on the plus side you can take the cover off to clean the fans without having to beak the seals.
The only issue with this is the clean fan is not always the issue (feel free to dig through my post history about how i repair and mod ps4 consoles) and you cant get access to the other components...this may cause problems in the future as when the console gets older its going to get louder.

3) No sugar coating the VR...was great for the first week..played through pretty much all launch titles and outside of one or 2 games that my kids like to play there is nothing else really im looking forward too apart from Resident evil but the demo of that was not really that flash......and when you are charging a premium price for games which are demo level quality its going to get very Wii like very quickly.

The pro does not improve things a great deal with the VR either and i may end up trading the thing in once the kids get sick of Robinson the journey.

4) Yes i have listed a positive about the xbox...quite a few times actually and as a partner of an eb games area manager...they are doing some great things with the S in terms of bundles and appear to of got their shit together with their games and their marketing is much more straight forward and easier for customers to digest.

That last part about easier for customer to digest is an important part...my partner gets a
heap of feedback about what the pro actually does vs an xboxS and your average gaming customer does not have a huge attention span when browsing in eb.

Games like tomb raider have different modes which you can tell a customer what the pro will offer...other popular mainstream games such as bf1 have been extremely hard to explain as there is not alot of info on exactly what it improves ...the same goes for Dishonored 2 and Titanfall...all the store can say is that the game looks sharper and runs better on the pro and then the customer looks at the price and then asks what the xbox S does and it goes downhill from there.

Sony have been throwing money at stores to offer half price deals on selected games that are on the pro enhanced list but its still a hard sell telling customers exactly whats better and why they should spend that extra $100 or trade in their old console for the new one..this may get better as time goes on as its only week 2 but shit like in the mainstream media does it no favors.

Hopefully this explains things to you a little clearer as its not always straight forward
copy pasting someones post history out of context

Back on topic
From playing around on Watchdogs 2 i have noticed that parts of the game appear to rely heavily internet connection (for added activities) and when your internet connection is being choked out (i have 2 other ps4 downloading watchdogs 2 atm) the game lags and stutters.....i disabled my internet connection on the pro and the game sped up for me..this might help some people.

You appear to be the one waiving the console warrior flag loud and proud as you have trolled through my post history you have not actually taken in what i have said about the pro or the VR.

Let me refresh you so you can bold and quote my text again in the future
and have it all in one place

1) Sony has done a shit job in trying to explain to consumers what the ps4 pro really does and now upon release its execution of what their marketing (and lack of) and what they are delivering are 2 different things..some of this may change with patching but if you are looking for a 4k res greater than the ps4 std....your not getting it.

2) Build Quality - The Console is just as loud as the launch console...no hiding this but on the plus side you can take the cover off to clean the fans without having to beak the seals.
The only issue with this is the clean fan is not always the issue (feel free to dig through my post history about how i repair and mod ps4 consoles) and you cant get access to the other components...this may cause problems in the future as when the console gets older its going to get louder.

3) No sugar coating the VR...was great for the first week..played through pretty much all launch titles and outside of one or 2 games that my kids like to play there is nothing else really im looking forward too apart from Resident evil but the demo of that was not really that flash......and when you are charging a premium price for games which are demo level quality its going to get very Wii like very quickly.

The pro does not improve things a great deal with the VR either and i may end up trading the thing in once the kids get sick of Robinson the journey.

Sorry mate, but on all 3 of these points your appraisal seems inaccurate. PS4 Pro does offer more 4K content than OG PS4, it's not as loud as a launch console (with higher quality parts), and the VR differences are pretty clear.

I agree the message has been mixed and it's not terribly consistent in what it delivers. And yes, I think Xbox One S has really delivered in a way Sony hasn't lately. But in the interest of balance...

Sweep14

In a way it's good that Scorpio was announced so early, so devs aren't rushing the patches for launch-window releases. That should minimize these types of issues.

And weren't devs supposed to not have worse performance on the Pro than base PS4?

Effectively, they aren't rushing patches for Scorpio, they even are not creating them at all at the moment cause this machine simply doesn't exist (neither devkits iirc) 😁.

Effectively, they aren't rushing patches for Scorpio, they even are not creating them at all at the moment cause this machine simply doesn't exist (neither devkits iirc) 😁.

The PS4 Pro patches will however give them a lot of experience when creating future Scorpio versions.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
This game hasn't even released yet and there's already rumoured to be a patch that fixes the issues. Where does that leave the gaming community with there premature reactions if it's true?

Dunkley

I wish they'd just implement an option for PS4 Pro users to opt to run games in Base Mode or in Pro Mode if they desired so. I am not sure how the patch distribution works internally regarding the Pro but if it was possible from an engineering perspective I think the option would be nice to have for occurrences like this.

I wish they'd just implement an option for PS4 Pro users to opt to run games in Base Mode or in Pro Mode if they desired so. I am not sure how the patch distribution works internally regarding the Pro but if it was possible from an engineering perspective I think the option would be nice to have for occurrences like this.

I absolutely think this is the best approach going forward. More options is always a good thing.

Fbh

This game hasn't even released yet and there's already rumoured to be a patch that fixes the issues. Where does that leave the gaming community with there premature reactions if it's true?

Nowhere bad?

People react to the here and now. And right now that's the game running worse on this new system.
A rumor about a patch that "might" fix the issue doesn't mean much.

Also, it's good for people to be mad and outraged at this. Devs should get the message that buyers aren't Ok with the game running worse on pro.
I'm sure most people didn't expect a big frame rate advantage on the Pro, but I'm pretty sure most of them didn't buy one expecting the games to run worse.

I'm curious to see if the checkerboard method offsets the increase in bandwidth somewhat.

Yeah it definitely would vs. a native resolution, beyond that I am not sure if it would at all be different than say the normal half resolution of the checkboard output. I would imagine not... that is unless they decided to checkboard something is not the the total shaded output.

I thought the Sony implemented policies on the pro for strict framerate. To perform less than the "weaker" console is completely unacceptable.

MysteryM

looking forward to cherry picked framerate screenshots

Here's a DF quote just for you

Digital Foundary said:
Again, the concept of the top-tier console producing sub-par performance isn't really acceptable and it's dismaying to see results like this. The bottom line is that Pro users with 1080p screens may well get a boost to image quality via super-sampling, but reduced performance under any circumstances can only call into question the whole point of a more powerful console.

Fbh

Yeah I'm definitely holding off on getting a pro for a few months (sorry FFXV, no nice IQ for you).
I'm hoping this is just devs rushing a pro mode to keep up with Sony demands. But I'm not sure it's worth it to get the better IQ version if in the future there might be a game I'm looking forward to that ends up performing worse on the Pro.

Sony needs to start letting pro owners run games in PS4 mode so we can avoid framerate problems on our 1080p TV's.

They need to talk to or support devs to make sure no more games launch with frame rate issues.

The Pro is already a harder sale on a 1080p tv. Asking your consumers to play several games in regular Ps4 mode if they want better performance is just going to make it an even harder sale.

People going batshit over a game that literally officially launched today with a few frame drops. By all means wait on buying WD2(They even had to delay some MP features because they're buggy as hell and are causing crashes), its gonna be patched and hopefully fixed.

BigDug13

I ended up trading my PS4 in because it was a launch system and the eject button would activate at the most inopportune times. Picked up a Pro but only have a 1080p TV. The LAST thing I expected was to be forced into worse performance than my launch system for 1080p output.

psychotron

Here's a DF quote just for you

That line is 100% true. Developers often sacrifice resolution in order to get a stable framerate, but on the Pro it's the opposite. In order to hit that higher res, framerate is taking a hit, and we have no choice but to deal with it.

vg260

I ended up trading my PS4 in because it was a launch system and the eject button would activate at the most inopportune times. Picked up a Pro but only have a 1080p TV. The LAST thing I expected was to be forced into worse performance than my launch system for 1080p output.

I sold my PS4 with plans of upgrading to the Pro, but stuff like this is an absolute deal breaker. Regardless of who is at fault for when this happens, they just un-sold me a Pro. Paying a premium price for worse performance is not acceptable. I'll do without playing my PS4 games for now. I've got plenty of quality games to play on PC/Xbox to keep me busy. They better sort this issue out soon, because I'm tempted to just call my modest PS4 library a loss and save what I would have spent for other PC/Xbox games or the Scorpio.

I have a PS4 Pro on a 1080 TV. Do I need to configure any settings to make sure I'm getting the most out of my console and Watch Dogs 2?

After playing this game for about 2 hours, I can't help but feel that DF's analysis is not representative of my experience.

Framerate is extremely stable in general playthrough, I didn't notice any screen tearing or frame-rate issues during my two hour run except when I intentionally caused havoc for the purpose of stress testing, and even then it wasn't as bad as the analysis.

I'm in the process of uploading a test video for you guys to judge and make up your mind.

One last thing, the game looks absolutely fantastic on the Pro.

I have a PS4 Pro on a 1080 TV. Do I need to configure any settings to make sure I'm getting the most out of my console and Watch Dogs 2?

Nope. You're good to go. Just make sure you turn off any online interaction in the in-game settings before starting the story. The online portion is causing quite a few issues.

I really wish we could switch to base mode on all games for these kinds of situations. Makes me not want to "upgrade" to pro. But I will anyway lol ;)

Here's my stress test video on the PS4 Pro: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YW1MF_yJyRk

Please keep in mind this was the worst-case intentionally created scenario of my two hour run with the game earlier. I can only count about 4 screen tears, but they are not noticeable unless you go looking for them with slowing down the video, etc.

The game is a blast, runs better than the original and looks absolutely fantastic on the Pro.

DF were stress testing the game, which may involve game-play scenarios that a normal player wouldn't come across.

That's right. Watch my unprofessional stress test, and see if you can notice any frame drops or screen tearing.

btags

DF were stress testing the game, which may involve game-play scenarios that a normal player wouldn't come across.

I think players would not encounter stress test like scenarios that often, but they would encounter them. The example they gave in the video (burning out with some cops nearby) seems like a completely normal gameplay scenario for a game like this.

icespide

Banned
Here's my stress test video on the PS4 Pro: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YW1MF_yJyRk

Please keep in mind this was the worst-case intentionally created scenario of my two hour run with the game earlier. I can only count about 4 screen tears, but they are not noticeable unless you go looking for them with slowing down the video, etc.

The game is a blast, runs better than the original and looks absolutely fantastic on the Pro.
looks borderline unplayable

Its not a minority of games, its most of them. The pro is a downgrade at the moment stop defending unnacceptable practices. If i had spent 350 on this i would be pissed

For every one game that performs slightly worse on the Pro than the base PS4 there are 10 that look and run unquestionably better.

Top Bottom