• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch Playstation's E3 conference in movie theaters

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I hope this conference is worth all this hullabaloo. It would be a dam shame to go through all this promotion for a E3 that is by the numbers.

Let me all you guys: what do you think are the chances of Sony having some legitimately shocking surprises withheld for this event. With Project Beast exposed I hope Sony has some other major secrets kept confidential.

I think there will be at least one other big one.

Joe T.

I hope this conference is worth all this hullabaloo. It would be a dam shame to go through all this promotion for a E3 that is by the numbers.

Let me all you guys: what do you think are the chances of Sony having some legitimately shocking surprises withheld for this event. With Project Beast exposed I hope Sony has some other major secrets kept confidential.

I'm not even sweating the details, really. Just the fact that one of the major press conferences is being streamed live into theaters, free of charge, is good enough for me. It beats sitting in front of my monitor/TV.

Spongebob

Banned

Expect the expected.

farisr

Looks like my leg won't be healing in time, so I won't be making it to the toronto theater. So any of you on a waitlist there are at least 2 seats available. LOL. I'll try to simulate it as best I can with my projector, but it just won't be the same without the crowd.

Wynnebeck

Banned
Welp, here's the picture I made a while back being trotted out another year:

kyUUPhb.jpg

nelchaar

Quote me to see the doc link.

Still think this should be in the OP somehow. Anyways, a friendly reminders to Gaffers attending that there is a google doc going on. Just quote Bunta's post to see it.

SLC Gaffers, so far 4 of us have signed up and attending.

Zero expectations, hope for the best, but don't cling to it.

GAF was terrible last year with Gamescom and TGS where good shows with a decent reveal of games got shit on because it didn't have unrealistic expectations.

Actually those events were outstanding. There was a show of new game announcements for PS4, at both.

Much more than one would expect, for lower profile events like those.

jayu26

Looks like my leg won't be healing in time, so I won't be making it to the toronto theater. So any of you on a waitlist there are at least 2 seats available. LOL. I'll try to simulate it as best I can with my projector, but it just won't be the same without the crowd.

I sent you a PM dude. I hope your leg heals soon.

I don't expect anything crazy is going to be shown. I can easily see it being mediocre and then just making up for that with the last guardian. The amount of attention and hype this game has is enough to get cheers similar to last years conference.

Even if nothing unexpected happens it should be fun and I'll be happy with my free whatever, no matter how simple or dumb it is. I'm excited for it.

My friends don't judge me until I mention I'm going to meet up with some GAFfers at the event. Lol.

"Why would you do that?"
"Aren't you afraid of meeting random people from the internet?"

All in all this should be a ton of fun. :)

Anyone think it'd be rude to bring my tablet/phone and use them during the showing to Live Tweet and stuff? Not sure if theatre etiquette changes when you're watching a live conference and not a movie. :p

TsuWave

well, at least if the conference is boring the people attending the theatres will have a good time/experience e3 in a new manner

tensuke

Soo my brother and I will probably make the 2hr trip to Jacksonville for this. It was the closest theater, and 2hrs trip with a buddy ain't bad to see this in theaters. Plus, our internet has been super spotty lately so I don't think we'd be able to livestream it reliably. Second best thing...:p

Plus dat swag.
You know, the golden vita/ps4 combo with TLG included

So disappointed that I couldn't be back home for this, since the one of the only theaters in my state that's showing the conference is like right down the street from my parent's place

Lemondish

Actually those events were outstanding. There was a show of new game announcements for PS4, at both.

Much more than one would expect, for lower profile events like those.

Lower profile events...haha. Sounds a little ethnocentric considering Gamescom continues to set records worldwide for attendance.

Kei-

Hey, just got an email from Event Grid as well. I have been upgraded from Wait List to confirmed. Check your inboxes. This is great news. Wonder if that means they got more screens at the same locations? No change of venue in my email

so its being streamed from someones laptop/computer right? then connected to a projector and put on the big screen

what if the stream crashes or struggles?

im still jelly i missed out on tickets

So last week when they announced this, I was in class and didn't get home in time to get tickets to the Atlanta event. I was able to get on the wait list, but wasn't going to chance not getting in and missing the conference completely (I live about 45 minutes from the theater, and with Atlanta traffic that's about 2 hours). Was pretty bummed, considering I think this is awesome, and June 9th also happens to be my birthday, so it would have been cool to go.

I just got an e-mail that I've been upgraded from Wait List to Confirmed, along with a confirmation number. If you got yourself on the Wait List, look out for an e-mail!

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
so its being streamed from someones laptop/computer right? then connected to a projector and put on the big screen

Someone here mentioned it's probably being broadcast through satellite, then someone else said that major theaters around him feature live events all the time. So I'm hoping they're adequately equipped for this and not just opening twitch.tv/playstation on a laptop and hooking it up to the projector.

The Mean

Neo Member
Can someone explain to me why you would want to watch a press conference on a theater screen?

I'm sure the livestream quality won't be a high enough resolution to look great when blown up to that size, combine that with the fact that realistically you will never play any of the products shown at that size.

Maybe I've become a curmudgeon, but this just seems ridiculous to me.

border

Yeah , fuck Europe
We are just buying your consoles like crazy
Thanks.

You realize that in Europe it's going to be 3AM-4AM in the morning during this press conference, right? What movie theatre is going to open up at that hour to let a bunch of people in for a free show?

Guys, more tickets were released, at least for the Atlanta event. Check the event page at your location, you might be able to get in. It was showing as Sold Out yesterday, now you can freely grab tickets.

Tom Nook

Can someone explain to me why you would want to watch a press conference on a theater screen?

I'm sure the livestream quality won't be a high enough resolution to look great when blown up to that size, combine that with the fact that realistically you will never play any of the products shown at that size.

It's a social event; imagine the cheers and boos after an announcement. Just like any other AAA movie in the movie theater.

It's a social event; imagine the cheers and boos after an announcement. Just like any other AAA movie in the movie theater.

I have a feeling that at least parts of it will be in 3D as well; and I'm sure they'll use the surround sound systems to make for a truly cinematic experience.

border

Man, I'm really nervous about Sony's conference. Also I'm really nervous about the very real possibility Sony literally only has driveclub as a triple A exclusive for 2014.

If Sony had anything else big, I think that we already would have seen it. They cancelled the Sony Santa Monica project and delayed The Order. Drive Club is all that remains, (EDIT) unless perhaps Project Beast is much further along than expected.

Experien

Does the "resolution" and products that size even matter? 9 times out of 10 MS & SONY just show teasers instead of trailers that only have CGI/pre-rendered cut scenes for the stuff you want and gameplay of CoD.

Wynnebeck

Banned
If Sony had anything else big, I think that we already would have seen it. They cancelled the Sony Santa Monica project and delayed The Order. Drive Club is all that remains, (EDIT) unless perhaps Project Beast is much further along than expected.

lol wut

Someone here mentioned it's probably being broadcast through satellite, then someone else said that major theaters around him feature live events all the time. So I'm hoping they're adequately equipped for this and not just opening twitch.tv/playstation on a laptop and hooking it up to the projector.

Like I've said before in here, I'm almost certain it's being done through NCM Fantom, who do live events at movie theaters like this. They aren't in every theater, because they have to have NCM put in what they need to on a per-screen basis.

So it's definitely not a laptop to a projector thing. They will be prepared, if history (and my own experience with Fantom in general, which has been sterling) is any indicator.

Also oh shit they added more theaters!

Bundy

Banned
Damn border, you again?
Same story, different thread?

jyx

No way Sony would have done this theater thing if they had nothing exciting to show. I believe this is the year of The Last Guardian reveal. It just make sense. Combined with Uncharted 4 and project Beast.

Top Bottom