• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weird Recurring Things in Anime

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm surprised nobody mentioned the toast in the mouth/late for school trope yet.
tumblr_m155d9e0TJ1rpzb8fo1_500.gif

Is that Rei? Evangelion 4.44 already out?

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
That I can understand. It's an easy juxtoposition-the chains of school and responsibility vs freedom of the outside world.

Or something.

Well, that would make sense except it just wouldn't match every single context it's shown up in e.g. the symbolism wouldn't be such a priority in something like Evangelion or Haruhi Suzumiya.

It's like applying the Oranges motif in The Godfather to every film out there.
japanese are way behind. who the fuck eats toast anymore?
This guy yo

Valhelm

contribute something
A German connection. Evangelion, Steins;Gate, Puella Magi Madoka Magica, and Attack on Titan all involve the German language somehow.

I guess the WW2 ties still linger.

A German connection. Evangelion, Steins;Gate, Puella Magi Madoka Magica, and Attack on Titan all involve the German language somehow.

I think it has to do more with the way German words sound as in sounds cool like the random English word they usually throw in for attacks and what not

Cels

Idk what to call it but often times when there is some situation where the hero is in danger it'll cut to a scene where the love interest is wishing for his safety and she will have her fist clenched over her heart.

Well, that would make sense except it just wouldn't match every single context it's shown up in e.g. the symbolism wouldn't be such a priority in something like Evangelion or Haruhi Suzumiya.

It's like applying the Oranges motif in The Godfather to every film out there.

This guy yo

yeah I was just bullshiting

Amalthea

Banned

Eh, at least it's fun to parody this stuff if you understand German.

"Sie sind das Essen und wir sind die Gabel."

Schools. I have no idea what it is with Anime and fucking schools. So many of them feature it, its ridiculous.

something something target audiences. If you look comparative to Western animation, there is also quite a few shows that take place in a school setting. It's an extremely safe and easy setting to do.

injurai

Banned
Also, when it comes to school based anime

I remember having that exact seat one time in a class. I was surrounded on all sides by girls. They constantly would pull me into their conversations and joke that I found them annoying. Turned out to be a great semester. Though my group partner I would later find out committed suicide. I always think back to that class when I see these scenes in shows.

Amnesia. Fucking everyone has amnesia all the goddamn time. But its very specific amnesia because the only thing they forget is their childhood friend. And they always seem to remember just as they're developing a relationship with someone else.

Different language conventions? It's understandable that one would find that annoying when it's put back to back like that, I get the impression they were making fun of it in that video.

There's actually something else that people were complaining about a while ago, where one character is giving an explanation while the other will periodically repeat a word that the explainer has said. People assumed that the creators thought that the audience was dumb and needed things repeated to them in order for them to understand but it's apparently an actual language convention that doesn't exist in English.

That's why these kinds of quirks don't annoy me, because since English is not Japanese and Japanese is not English, I expect there to be idiosyncrasies that do not exist in the other.

Forkball

The problem is many shows just blatantly copy each other. It's by otakus, for otakus. Since anime is the only medium they've consumed, they just recycle the same tropes ad infinitim. It reminds me of the ether from Miyazaki about how people in the anime industry need to observe real people.

Busaiku

One thing that i never bothered researching but why is there no kissing in anime. Ultra violence limb and head decapitation is ok but kissing is a big NO.

This isn't related to censorship, but has more to do with appeasing the fanbase.
It's why you'll see more partial nudity/nudity/innuendo than kissing.

Defuser

is just dont like it that they seem to use the very same 3-5 voice actors for fucking everything under the rising sun
As opposed almost all games involved Troy Baker, Nolan North, Jennifer Hale or animated series involving Johnny Boch wong, Crispin Freeman, Tara Strong.etc Come on man the west is equally guilty as this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom