• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weird Recurring Things in Anime

Status
Not open for further replies.
As opposed almost all games involved Troy Baker, Nolan North, Jennifer Hale or animated series involving Johnny Boch wong, Crispin Freeman, Tara Strong.etc Come on man the west is equally guilty as this.

eeh no gonna argue that but at the very least some of them try to sound different, in anime they dont even try unless one of the girls voices a dude but even then it doesnt change that much

Drencrom

Y'know what, I'm fucking sick and tired of almost every anime having high school kids as protagonists too.

Why do so many animes revolve around high schoolers? Is being an adult so fucking depressing over there that even anime shows that are aimed to adult viewers is about high school, so that they can reminisce over that shit or what? I just can't understand why so many animes revolve around high school kids, but very few about actual capable young adults in their early 20s. Almost none of them actually portrait a realistic high school environment, story or characters either. The universes and environments are different but it's still about people in HS. I know a lot of shows are aimed at kids so it makes sense for a lot of them to be the same age etc, but it's ridiculous how prevalent it is even when the shows aren't aimed for young teens.

Ithil

People closing their eyes while looking at people as a sign of friendliness. Never had a clue what's it's meant to communicate in live action.

Even Monster which eschewed almost all anime stylings had this with one character (where it was even a plot point).

This is the thing I meant, by the way:

444748_1352196374888_319_243.jpg

Y'know what, I'm fucking sick and tired of almost every anime having high school kids as protagonists too.

Why do so many animes revolve around high schoolers? Is being an adult so fucking depressing over there that even anime shows that are aimed to adult viewers is about high school, so that they can reminisce over that shit or what? I just can't understand why so many animes revolve around high school kids, but almost none about actual capable young adults in their early 20s or something. Almost none of them actually portrait a realistic high school environment, story or characters either. The universes and environments are different but it's still about people in HS. I know a lot of shows are aimed at kids so it makes sense for a lot of them to be the same age etc, but it's ridiculous how prevalent it is even when the shows aren't aimed for young teens.

It's all about the teenage girls.

Somnid

Why do so many animes revolve around high schoolers? Is being an adult so fucking depressing over there that even anime shows that are aimed to adult viewers is about high school, so that they can reminisce over that shit or what? I just can't understand why so many animes revolve around high school kids, but almost none about actual capable young adults in their early 20s or something. Almost none of them actually portrait a realistic high school environment, story or characters either. The universes and environments are different but it's still about people in HS. I know a lot of shows are aimed at kids so it makes sense for a lot of them to be the same age etc, but it's ridiculous how prevalent it is even when the shows aren't aimed for young teens.

I think that's just considered the high point and the moment when a lot of these people making the shows look back on. At some point it became embedded in the anime culture. I was actually surprised when I saw Nana the first time as I had never seen an anime that deals with more adult characters and mature, non-idealistic relationships.

Why do so many animes revolve around high schoolers? Is being an adult so fucking depressing over there that even anime shows that are aimed to adult viewers is about high school, so that they can reminisce over that shit or what? I just can't understand why so many animes revolve around high school kids, but very few about actual capable young adults in their early 20s. Almost none of them actually portrait a realistic high school environment, story or characters either. The universes and environments are different but it's still about people in HS. I know a lot of shows are aimed at kids so it makes sense for a lot of them to be the same age etc, but it's ridiculous how prevalent it is even when the shows aren't aimed for young teens.
watch Space Bros man.

More people need to watch Space Bros :(

Drencrom

Why is it horrible when videogames sexualize women, but perfectly fine when anime portrays all women in scantily clad school girl outfits?

It's not okay, but people don't hold anime to the same standard because anime is generally accepted by the general public in the west as weird, disgusting and immoral in many cases.

But yeah, it's a pathetic practice and it's catered to creeps that like 'cute stuff'. There's a reason why even the general public in Japan look down on otakus and people invested in anime.
watch Space Bros man.

More people need to watch Space Bros :(

But I already am

:)

StayDead

I was doing the running with toast in my mouth thing long before I watched anime. If you're late, you're late. It's not necessarily weird to eat on the go

^^

It's probably the target demographic that you can see with videogames or comic books or animation, where a lot of the media is geared towards younger people. Which is why I liked Satoshi Kon stuff as his stuff had older characters (Tokyo Godfathers, Paprika, Paranoia Agent, Millennium Actress).

The Flowers of Evil is one of the few shows about teenage high school life I like cause even though it's basically coming of age angst, the characters feel more real and nuanced which is only helped by the rotoscoping. Also cause I love psychological thrillers.

giphy.gif

52a56717b37501c0dbf7b864b1f107491367959299_full.jpg

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
A German connection. Evangelion, Steins;Gate, Puella Magi Madoka Magica, and Attack on Titan all involve the German language somehow.

I guess the WW2 ties still linger.
German and nordic folklore is huge, dude.

For instance, take Madoka. It's a Faustian take on the magical girl genre. And Sayaka's story parallels The Little Mermaid. Hell, transformed, Oktavia's basic design/figure is that of a mermaid

FuuRe

Dudes peeping on girls bathrooms or grabbing breasts and asses and caught in pervert scenarios always get all the girls

I. E. Love hina

Also, the fact that if you are an anime character you have a 95% chance of having a big breasted milf aunt who runs an all-girl dorm, who is also a widow and also happens to have 3 hot daughters, all about your age.

God dammit

StayDead

Dudes peeping on girls bathrooms or grabbing breasts and asses and caught in pervert scenarios always get all the girls

I. E. Love hina

Also, the fact that if you are an anime character you have a 95% chance of having a big breasted milf aunt who runs an all-girl dorm, who is also a widow and also happens to have 3 hot daughters, all about your age.

God dammit

I know, if only real life was like that :(

when a character just says someone's name and it's followed by an ellipsis. it's the worst thing.

Oh my god, this is totally the worst. I would love a character to just turn around and say, "WHAT? WHAT DO YOU WANT?" whenever this happens.

It's also one of my favorite gags in Arrested Development when they make fun of this trope.

Michael: "Jessie..."
Jessie: (turns around and looks at Michael expectantly)
Michael: "I was just saying your name as you walked away. I didn't -- I have no follow-up."
Jessie: (walks out the door)
Michael: "... Jessie..."

When the main character saves the day and he looks right at the camera and does this ✌

Then it freeze frames and the credits start to roll

I will say that I have a general rule where whenever an anime goes to the "Every character is starving and complains about being starving and must perform odd-jobs to get food" episode, that's when I'm done with an anime.

captainpat

Girls with big boobs almost never hook up with the main character. She could be the nicest, most compatible person for the main character and he still won't consider her.

Erigu

I will say that I have a general rule where whenever an anime goes to the "Every character is starving and complains about being starving and must perform odd-jobs to get food" episode, that's when I'm done with an anime.
Within the first minutes of Cowboy Bebop, then?

Jex

Random ass english words in every opening. I still have no idea what that is about.

That's hardly unique to anime, or even Japan. There's are numerous songs in numerous languages that throw in casual words from English just to sound cool.

Sounds like something a Grandpa would say.

Yall should watch the english dub of the Anime Ghost Stories. They pretty much mock everything there

That's hardly unique to anime, or even Japan. There's are numerous songs in numerous languages that throw in casual words from English just to sound cool.

"We are! We are on the crrrrrrrrrrruiiiiiiiiiiiiiise! WE ARE!"

ElTopo

Banned
I don't really watch Anime but what irks me is that the word "Huh." delivered usually very awkwardly is used a lot. Even Cowboy Bebop did it.

I wonder if there are any threads on Japanese or (insert country here) forums titled "Weird Recurring things in western shows" or something similar. I was also wondering what would happen if someone made a thread like that here.

But then I realized it probably wouldn't get that many posts since this forum is mostly North American I think. There's nothing weird to point out about what aligns with your default perception of what's normal. While it's easy to point out what differs in the media from a country that has a different enough culture/media culture than your own.

I guess that's why I can't sympathize with people who seemingly get angry at particular mundane things in anime. I think it helps your perspective to entertain the thought that there are people who find things you find normal to be weird or strange as well.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Is being an adult so fucking depressing over there that even anime shows that are aimed to adult viewers is about high school, so that they can reminisce over that shit or what?

Yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom