• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weird Recurring Things in Anime

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bold One

I've always thought the moe phenomenon with young girls is weird as hell.

Why do so many modern Anime shows have to feature it?

I agree its killing anime for me.

I would have to vote for the anime cool guy bow-legged walk,

I wish I could find a gif it to illustrate, its when the 'cool' guy walks away and acts like has a space-hopper between his legs

tumblr_mvb8cv8OzX1r922azo1_500.gif

Lord in heaven what is this?? LOOL

Random ass english words in every opening. I still have no idea what that is about.

That's not really an anime thing, that's a Japan thing. Japan's fascination with English is no different than Americans fascination with Asian languages. The only real difference is that Japan puts nonsensical English in songs and on shirts, while Americans permanently tattoo nonsensical kanji onto their bodies.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
I agree its killing anime for me.

I would have to vote for the anime cool guy bow-legged walk,

I wish I could find a gif it to illustrate, its when the 'cool' guy walks away and acts like has a space-hopper between his legs

Then don't watch moe shows? Like, it's not that hard to avoid.

Dali

If you take out tropes and the genre conventions, probably anything that is sticking out to you as weird is just normal stuff in Japan that isn't around in other countries or isn't as popular. Like shirts with wide necks.
And offering to buy a drink from the vending machine before you wax nostalgic.

This is a trope, but I'm bringing it up because of how goddamn prominent it is. I was just playing Chain Chronicle on my phone and this thing came up.

Why do the Japanese find women who can't cook so goddamn hilarious? I mean, don't get me wrong, it can make for funny conversations and situations. I thought it was funny in Persona 4 only because of the vomit sound effects. But it's a joke made in everything ever. Just as sure as there's gonna be a beach episode, there's gonna be a lady who can't cook. Don't people get tired of that joke? Is it some secret agenda to get shame all the women in Japan into learning how to cook? Or is it just so damn funny that they never get tired of that joke? It would be okay if it's in a couple shows and games, but it's in everything, literally everything.

Smug villain has just pinned down our hero and is explaining his evil plans.

Hero cries out "Where is Kyrie?!"

Villain looks over shoulder and smirks,

"Heh heh heh.."

cajunator

Banned

This is definitely one of the cutest tropes and one I love.

The problem is many shows just blatantly copy each other. It's by otakus, for otakus. Since anime is the only medium they've consumed, they just recycle the same tropes ad infinitim. It reminds me of the ether from Miyazaki about how people in the anime industry need to observe real people.

Ive read about that before. A lot of the staleness of some of of the industry is that the creators often look inwards at what others have done and base their work on the existing formulas, which creates a predictable charicature instead of a relatable person. They dont see the small details of how a real person would act in a situation because its always been done a certain way.

You missed one but don't worry. I got your back.

ibaAJhOgV94eNM.gif

This is my all time favorite head pet gif.

Drencrom

I'm sick and tired of young, inexperienced male protagonists that are self-deprecating whiners that need to have some kind of mentor or friend talking them into doing shit or dying for motivating them or whatever.

There is one exception though (can't really name it without spoiling that anime).

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
If there's one thing I wasn't expecting when I was on a student exchange in Japan was the 'EHHHHHHHH?' thing being anything more than some sort of weird anime stereotype.

How fucking wrong I was.

Shit

what else is accurate?

Does everyone have abnormally large sweat there?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

Am I the only one who finds this kind of...demeaning? Like, yeah, there's been similar contact in romantic relationships I've been in, although not that one-sidedly, but I know enough of the context behind most of those series' to know that we're not looking at a lover's caress.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
How to survive being wall-slammed (aka kabe-don):
kabedon11.png

corn_fest

The antagonist's grand evil plan involves the collective merging of humanity's consciousness. Several artifacts or elements involved in this plan will either take their names from Christian mythos or be called "Ragnarok".

Avixph

Am I the only one who finds this kind of...demeaning? Like, yeah, there's been similar contact in romantic relationships I've been in, although not that one-sidedly, but I know enough of the context behind most of those series' to know that we're not looking at a lover's caress.

Yeah I also find it very demeaning.

Why is it horrible when videogames sexualize women, but perfectly fine when anime portrays all women in scantily clad school girl outfits?

I wouldn't be finished by tomorrow if I listed all the things that annoy me in anime.

So something unspecific hmm...
I hate the "indirect kiss" or "kiss-cockblock" things in romance anime

fullscreencapture9920ccbbo.jpg

And In Ah! My Goddess, even the indirect kisses get "cockblocked" lol.

tumblr_mlryydecaz1qgp0asr8.jpg

(not this scene)

Ithil

People closing their eyes while looking at people as a sign of friendliness. Never had a clue what's it's meant to communicate in live action.

Even Monster which eschewed almost all anime stylings had this with one character (where it was even a plot point).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom