• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What does Mighty No. 9 bode for ReCore?

mindsale

As you may know, Keiji Inafune is the producer of both Mighty No. 9 and the upcoming ReCore.

Recore_cover.jpg

Mighty No. 9 comes out tomorrow, and its reviews have been middling at best. One might even say that's it Mighty No. 2.

Watching the trailers, I couldn't help but feel ReCore had a bygone look as far as gameplay was concerned. It sported a lot of that PlayStation 2-era clunky platforming that's been left by the wayside (and left in the more capable hands of the masters at EAD). It also had a lot of that old-generation third-person steady-reticule shooting, far from the niceties of post-2004 Over-The-Shoulder-Aiming-Down-Sights.

It reminds me vaguely of the 2003 Sierra game Metal Arms: Glitch in the System.

To be fair, it may be a refreshing throwback and find seamlessness in its potentially simpler mechanics. Though it begs a few questions -

Could Inafune be hampering this production as he may have hampered the production of Mighty No. 9? Is he old-minded in the mechanical structure of games?

Do the Metroid Prime vets at Armature offset Inafune's involvement?

Was Mighty No. 9 hamstrung by its relatively small budget, whereas ReCore's is backed by Microsoft's deeper coffers? Do you feel Microsoft is choosing its exclusives wisely, in this case or more generally?

What's your interest in ReCore? Has it waned since its gameplay showing at this year's E3? Are you still interested, or were you ever?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrBLkvJklN8

(Note: This is a YouTube link to recent ReCore gameplay via GameSpot. If any of this isn't permissible linking, mods, do please correct my mistake).

I do not know what Inafune is actually doing on Recore. As far as we know, he could have just been a producer who brought MS and Armature together, or he could just be a name to attach to it, or maybe he just walked into one meeting and said "Make more dashing and robots" and that's what they did.

There's no real way to know, even after the game comes out, what he did on the title unless someone tells us. As long as he isn't in charge of Recore's budget, it will probably be fine, though.

higemaru

It'll likely be a 6/10 game like MN9. Armature isn't a secretly amazing studio and Comcept is equally middling.

Well, I mean I didn't even know Inafune was involved in ReCore until GAF started speaking up about it. But I was admittedly out of the loop on it.

I still have hope for ReCore though, considering it actually looks good right now, and MN9 only really did so very early in its life (that first prototype), and then only got worse.

Multiplat Kickstarter game on various consoles/handhelds of different power levels versus a game that's assured to be significantly higher-budgeted, by a different studio, funded by Microsoft, and exclusive to PCs and one console.

Inafune is just the producer, remember. Aside from that the games have nothing in common so MN9 should mean nothing.

Did Inafune produce Gunvolt? I liked that game. Shame MN9 wasn't more like it, apparently.

killroy87

I'd be lying if I said the Recore gameplay didn't deflate my hype a tad, but it still looks fun enough. I'll pick it up, especially at $39

I don't really have much faith in recore after seeing the gameplay trailer BUT at the very least it shows more promise than mighty No.9 ever did after its kickstarter. At least to me

One is a protracted long drawn out controversial Kickstarter and the other is a first party backed IP.

After E3, I'm more looking forward to Recore than I was before it and I have no interest in Mighty No.9 and never have.

KingBroly

Banned
Multiplat Kickstarter game on various consoles/handhelds of different power levels versus a game that's assured to be significantly higher-budgeted, by a different studio, funded by Microsoft, and exclusive to PCs and one console.

Inafune is just the producer, remember. Aside from that the games have nothing in common so MN9 should mean nothing.

Did Inafune produce Gunvolt? I liked that game. Shame MN9 wasn't more like it, apparently.

Armature isn't exactly known for their high quality games.

Inafune's a businessman, not a creator.

I mean, he's 100% correct. Inafune has never been a director or anything. He's almost always handling the business side of things or in a producer role. It's not some kind of insult, it's just... The truth.

Armature isn't exactly known for their high quality games.

Oh, I never said that, just that MN9's existence alone should have nothing to do with whether this game is good or not.

zulux21

not sure, but the statue in the collectors edition is beautiful. thus why I have that preordered even though I don't own an xbox one lol.

I am hoping the game turns out well though, but the $40 price tag leads me to believe it doesn't have a huge budget behind it.

I don't think MN9 says anything about ReCore. Also, people who played it on the E3 show floor have already said the gameplay is pretty good so far. The graphics look a bit rough at times (fire effects and animations specifically), but it seems to be priced accordingly.

Inafune also produced Soul Sacrifice which was well received so... Nothing?

?

Soul Sacrifice was a 77 rated title and that was back in 2013. If we're basing projections on what Inafune has done lately, that leaves us with Mighty No. 9 and that's a problem. Here's hoping that his involvement is lesser than advertised, otherwise MS may have bought a pig in a poke. Armature seems like a good team, though.
Come back Capcom, all is forgiven!

KingBroly

Banned
Oh, I never said that, just that MN9's existence alone should have nothing to do with whether this game is good or not.

Well, Inafune's name isn't exactly a seal of quality anymore. Especially at the time Mn9 was kickstarted. Even if his name is just there for the sake of it being there, the trail he's left behind, important or not, isn't exactly great.

Footos22

It'll prob get 7's. This is armatures first major game. They have done nothing but ports and that dead star game that was on ps+ and now no one plays. Don't expect wonders and you might actually enjoy it.

Arkham origins blackgate was their first game actually.... Yeahhhh

fernoca

Guess it would be time for people to value games for what they are and not for the names behind it.

Games are a team effort. So one person been involved with a team that was able to make something good out if it, doesn't mean that the same person will give similar results with a different team.

Oregano

No he didn't. He was a designer for SS - not a producer.

Really? I thought he was only a producer nowadays.

?

Soul Sacrifice was a 77 rated title and that was back in 2013. If we're basing projections on what Inafune has done lately, that leaves us with Mighty No. 9 and that's a problem. Here's hoping that his involvement is lesser than advertised, otherwise MS may have bought a pig in a poke. Armature seems like a good team, though.
Come back Capcom, all is forgiven!

The thing I got from your post is that Soul Sacrifice was three years ago... Wow!

Ridley327

It gives the game a stigma it didn't previously have, but I don't think it would be fair to attribute Inafune for any failings that ReCore could have to the same degree that we're seeing for MN9. Despite the pedigree, Armature is still a very unproven developer of original games, and their first at bat in Batman Arkham Origins: Blackgate was spotty, to put it mildly.

wrowa

Don't worry about Inafune, worry about Armature instead. It's a potentially very talented studio - it was founded by former Metroid Prime leads, after all -, but the few games they released don't reflect thaf. However, how much of that was due to a lack of time and budget is another question altogether. Recore is certainly their biggest project to date.

Well, Inafune's name isn't exactly a seal of quality anymore. Especially at the time Mn9 was kickstarted. Even if his name is just there for the sake of it being there, the trail he's left behind, important or not, isn't exactly great.

I guess the thing is Mighty No 9 failed partially because of a lack of clear vision/being viewed as a franchise from the get-go and also because they went way out of control thanks to the Kickstarter's success, plus inherently being compared to the series it spun off from. Recore at least doesn't have the latter to worry about so any problems it faces probably aren't going to be 1:1 to what No. 9 went through, which is what I'm getting at, but it's fine to be skeptical. Really, the development studio's track record, gameplay footage, E3 impressions, etc. are far better ways to judge if one will like it or not, is what I think, since the two games are mostly unrelated.

Zedox

I think ReCore is fine and I'm excited for it after watching more gameplay footage of it from E3. This is more of a Armature's game than anyone else's. MS plays a role into how the game is being developed as well and if it is anything like KI involvement, then I'm happy with it. I don't expect any 5's out of ReCore...that would be real bad.

Chobel

You don't need to read about Mighty No. 9 to know ReCore will suck, we've seen enough E3 videos to know that.

I'm predicting less than 70 in metacritic.

CHC

Honestly outside of NeoGAF and the like, I don't think that many people are going to make the connection. ReCore will probably sink or swim on its own merits. We'll see which way it goes.

Nephtes

I would say ReCore is probably a decent game. We've seen it at 2 E3s, unlike the Phantom Dust reboot, which only appeared at one before being shit canned by Microsoft.

That said, look how late in development they got rid of Fable Legends...
Given that, I would suggest that if ReCore comes out, it will be good, otherwise, Microsoft would have gotten rid of it like Fable Legends and the Phantom Dust reboot.

I mean, he's 100% correct. Inafune has never been a director or anything. He's almost always handling the business side of things or in a producer role. It's not some kind of insult, it's just... The truth.

It's definitely intended as a dig from a fellow person in the industry. It's like if someone asks a musician about another musician and he says, "He's not an artist, he's an entertainer," or something.

EvB

It's a budget title at $39.99 so it isn't going to have AAA production values, because that is not what it is

Thud

It doesn't mean a whole lot, but the game is slated for a september release and it looks like a mess.

It's definitely intended as a dig from a fellow person in the industry. It's like if someone asks a musician about another musician and he says, "He's not an artist, he's an entertainer," or something.

Inafune did close down Clover Studio. I'd be pissed with Inafune too if I was Kamiya.

Inafune: Although we have lost different people from the company, we don’t look at that as a bad thing for our overall operation. Because, when you have an imbalance in a company, you may have certain people unbalancing things, they’re either behind schedule or over budget, it puts pressure on everybody else to do better to make up for that. With certain things that have changed in the past year, it’s sort of reduced the pressure and taken a load off the other peoples’ shoulders and may have in fact improved things for everybody else.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=174240

Inafune is a dick. News at 11.

Top Bottom