• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What the fuck is up with the input lag in Grand Theft Auto V on PS4??

Ateron

The lag has been there since day one, I instantly called it but no one seemed to confirm it along. For 3+years in the beginning of ps3 life time I played on a 130+ ms lag display, so I got used to insane amounts of lag and to compensate for it. Nowadays I play on a 13ms tv and while it's a lot better (never going back for something over 20ms in the future), it's very noticeable.

I seriously doubt R* will do anything to fix this since it's been present in all of their games (even MP3, which was the worst offender by the single fact that it IS a TPS through and through while GTAs and RDR aren't). I can still line shots almost perfectly with free aim, 1st and 3rd person, but no doubt I have to struggle a bit with the sticks while in other games it comes naturally. For me the biggest difficulty is moving targets because of the slow ass reticule and the busted acceleration settings. You either end up compensating too much or too little. This game was designed to be played with auto-aim, which is kinda sad but it is what it is. Hope they get wind of this and try to tighten the deadzone if they can't do anything about the lag, but I have my doubts.

Dead zone
ib2BNBM1teoGMs.gif

Input lag
i9yzbNsP4Mujq.gif

Input lag in slow-mo so anyone can see it easily.
iqpT50gw4sR9A.gif

Im still having fun in the game, but with assisted aim on "Partial".

Thanks for those.

I can't work out that Deadzone clip. What is going on? We're not really testing the deadzone in that video, as you'd need to hold the analogue to the end of the deadzone to prove it exists.

What it looks like to me, is that input isn't registered at all unless it's held for a period of time.

I don't know, it's hard to tell. Any chance of another gif with you holding at the extremes of the deadzone and letting us know what that feels like? It may be like the other videos, in that the first few frames of the movement aren't registered, but then it does very slowly like that other deadzone clip from yesterday.

Also may be worth doing a test firing a hitscan weapon at a nearby wall. Obviously this should be done in single player, not online.

Yup, I'm expecting 99% of comments to be like this.

Sigh.

Well, I also contacted Rockstar Support directly. So now we just wait see what they say in the reply, if I even get one...
I would've posted it in the main forum for GTA V so that it gets more traffic. The help and support forum is more about individual issues I think.

TMC

Played this for the first time on Friday and definitely noticed it immediately upon picking up the controller. It's definitely annoying.

Dead zone
ib2BNBM1teoGMs.gif

Input lag
i9yzbNsP4Mujq.gif

Input lag in slow-mo so anyone can see it easily.
iqpT50gw4sR9A.gif

Im still having fun in the game, but with assisted aim on "Partial".

Thanks for this. Hopefully less people will understand that it is a problem.

Too bad social articles about how x people are represented in GTA are more popular than this game's functions being incompetent.

That deadzone one is just lol.

I would've posted it in the main forum for GTA V so that it gets more traffic. The help and support forum is more about individual issues I think.

I'll post it there as well then. Thanks for the suggestion.

Edit: Done. Here's the link:

http://gtaforums.com/topic/754446-input-delaydead-zoneacceleration-issue-ps4-videos-and-gifs-inside/

Edit 2: What the fuck? It's saying "You do not have permission to view this forum". Maybe it's been brought up a tons of times before and I've been banned? Or maybe cross-posting isn't allowed? For fucks sake...

What does it show when you guys click the above link to the thread?

Edit 3: Never mind, I'm not banned. I think the mods just deleted my threads. GREAT!

Chabbles

couldnt the input lag just be a symptom of 30fps plus TV display latency?

But that deadzone is hilarious though.

The footage for them gifs was taken on a Samsung 40F6400, set to "game mode". On tests that set gets between 30 to 40ms input latency in game mode.

Edit, @ ChainsawFilms, i cant right now man.

iMax

The footage for them gifs was taken on a Samsung 40F6400, set to "game mode". On tests that set gets between 30 to 40ms input latency in game mode.

You should do a GIF of flicking the stick in the GTA V menus where there is no input lag.

Alchemist

Noticed the dead-zone and input lag since day one. It completely ruins first person mode for me as the gifs above do very in showing.

Noticed the dead-zone and input lag since day one. It completely ruins first person mode for me as the gifs above do very in showing.

Pretty much this. FPM would be much better with proper controls.

I am very unhappy with this remaster overall.

- Substantial framerate issues
- Semi-broken controls
- Features cut that were present in trailers/last gen versions (tree animation)
- Shitty FXAA anti aliasing

But of course Rockstar gets away with it and completely ignores fan feedback because that is how they roll.

Alchemist

- Semi-broken controls

But of course Rockstar gets away with it and completely ignores fan feedback because that is how they roll.

It really doesn't help either how not a single review mentioned the problem.

omonimo

Banned

- Semi-broken controls

I agree about the bolded part, R has completely dropped their balls in their tech promise.People needs to see again the trailer faceoff released from R, the major cars density, the new physics in the vegetation and in the sea, everything it's gone. That's false advertising, they should be embarrassed. About the input lag, I never touched the ps4 version but I remember it was terrible on ps3 too, I suspect more the ds4 increase this feeling because it's more sensible compared the ds3.

UrbanRats

That gets to me. It's immediately obvious when you try first person. I'd ask WTF is wrong with Games Journalism, but that's been covered to death this year.

I guess reviews rarely go indepth when it comes to gameplay mechanics.
Some must probably be due to time constraints, some just plain obliviousness.

Yeah I've had this issue with both PS3 and PS4, but I just blamed it on Euphoria and moved on. But this is also the reason I don't enjoy gun-game in MP, so I just stick to races n stuff.

Thrakier

That gets to me. It's immediately obvious when you try first person. I'd ask WTF is wrong with Games Journalism, but that's been covered to death this year.

Game Journalism NEVER comments on playability. I guess by now they are all just conditioned to shit playability, like most gamers are as well. They are adapting to the lowest standards.

I dont mind the controls at all, it does feel unresponsive but its completely intentional, it gives the characters weight and momentum. The deadzones are indisputably a problem yes, but the input delay works exactly as intended. Not every game needs 1:1 controls, if the game controlled like everyone wanted it to it would lose more than it gained. Animation priority > control priority

Yup. I made a thread about this last month on here saying how the controls just felt "off" to me and some folks thought I was just not used to the controls. The FPS controls felt garbage. Now I know why it does.

PnCIa

So i am not the only one who wondered about this...i thought that, well, its a Rockstar game so you never know what is going on under the hood there. It *does* feel akward though, but i don´t have the XBone version for comparision.

Leb

To be fair, none of this is particularly surprising. Head into any thread in which frame rate, frame time, stutter, judder, tearing or input lag is discussed, and you'll invariably get a nontrivial number of people who genuinely don't know what you're talking about.

Like, they're not in any way misrepresenting their experiences, they've just never noticed that there's a problem (and arguably, it isn't really a problem from their perspective... though I feel like as is the case with 60fps mode in TLOU, once they've been shown there's an issue and are then immediately introduced to the solution, they'll never be able to go back).

Thrakier

To be fair, none of this is particularly surprising. Head into any thread in which frame rate, frame time, stutter, judder, tearing or input lag is discussed, and you'll invariably get a nontrivial number of people who genuinely don't know what you're talking about.

Like, they're not in any way misrepresenting their experiences, they've just never noticed that there's a problem (and arguably, it isn't really a problem from their perspective... though I feel like as is the case with 60fps mode in TLOU, once they've been shown there's an issue and are then immediately introduced to the solution, they'll never be able to go back).

Obviously, this is the problem. This and that people don't ask to learn about technology and how it can improve their experience - no, they rather claim that you have a broken system and theirs is fine and everything is perfect. It's hilarious if you think about it. They are kinda doing the PR for the company, because marketing told them that they got a perfect product.

I'm citing a eurogamer article from 2009 (!!!!):

In-game latency, or the level of response in our controls, is one of the most crucial elements in game-making, not just in the here and now, but for the future too. It's fair to say that players today have become conditioned to what the truly hardcore PC gamers would consider to be almost unacceptably high levels of latency to the point where cloud gaming services such as OnLive and Gaikai rely heavily upon it.

The average videogame runs at 30FPS, and appears to have an average lag in the region of 133ms. On top of that is additional delay from the display itself, bringing the overall latency to around 166ms. [...] But in the meantime, while overall "pings" between console and gamer remain rather high, the bottom line seems to be that players are now used to it, to the point where developers - like Infinity Ward - centred on getting the very lowest possible latencies are using that to give their games an edge over the competition.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-lag-factor-article?page=3

One thing should be clear after more than a decade of laggy games and shit framerates which STILL got praise by the media (and that's something which got worse, see the GOTG debacle called TLOU): People are completly uneducated about technology. Only those how jumped the ship towards PC and on PC take care that their games run at high framerates (over graphical fidelity) do know how much framerate and latency does impact the game.

All others did forget. And gaming media completly fails to the point where a company like Insomniac Games decides to shit on framerate too because higher fidelity brings better review scores and therefore more sales.

It's a debacle.

I dont mind the controls at all, it does feel unresponsive but its completely intentional, it gives the characters weight and momentum. The deadzones are indisputably a problem yes, but the input delay works exactly as intended. Not every game needs 1:1 controls, if the game controlled like everyone wanted it to it would lose more than it gained. Animation priority > control priority

Not for first-person mode. I mean, I'd rather have control priority for both views, but especially in first-person. I don't care about animations in first-person, I care about being able to aim the weapons accurately. Especially in a game that features literally the cheapest AI I've ever seen in a game.

And I don't think anyone is asking for 1:1, which isn't even possible on a controller, we just want to be able to shoot our damn weapons accurately and not feel like my character is constantly drunk.

Graphics more important than Playability. It's official. Pack it up guys, we're done here.

- Semi-broken controls

I find it kind of sad when a game with so many amazing things to enjoy, that is such a substantial artistic and technical achievement, can be considered disappointing for some people because of some very reasonable, and overall minor technical issues.

- Substantial framerate issues? True, going through stoplights causes the game to lag a bit, but this is still a substantial upgrade over last-gen, and impressively stable for such a huge open-world game.
- Semi-broken controls? True, there is minor input lag, perhaps free-aim mode isn't accurate enough (seemed fine to me), but in my experience, this doesn't come close to being a huge issue, just a minor one.
- Tree animation is a huge issue? It's nice, but...if lack of this improves framerate, I'm cool.
- True, the AA isn't great, but would you rather Rockstar just left the game with X360/PS3 level detail and textures? The PS4 isn't a wonder machine, sacrifices always have to be made, especially for a huge open-world game like this.

I was slightly disappointed when I played the PS4 version at first too, mostly because I could have waited for the PC version, but the content of the game is winning me over hard. I'm definitely looking forward to the PC version though, you might do well to get a good PC if these types of things are such a bother for you.

I find it kind of sad when a game with so many amazing things to enjoy, that is such a substantial artistic and technical achievement, can be considered disappointing for some people because of some very reasonable, and overall minor technical issues.

- Substantial framerate issues? True, going through stoplights causes the game to lag a bit, but this is still a substantial upgrade over last-gen, and impressively stable for such a huge open-world game.
- Semi-broken controls? True, there is minor input lag, perhaps free-aim mode isn't accurate enough (seemed fine to me), but in my experience, this doesn't come close to being a huge issue, just a minor one.
- Tree animation is a huge issue? It's nice, but...if lack of this improves framerate, I'm cool.
- True, the AA isn't great, but would you rather Rockstar just left the game with X360/PS3 level detail and textures? The PS4 isn't a wonder machine, sacrifices always have to be made, especially for a huge open-world game like this.

I was slightly disappointed when I played the PS4 version at first too, mostly because I could have waited for the PC version, but the content of the game is winning me over hard. I'm definitely looking forward to the PC version though, you might do well to get a good PC if these types of things are such a bother for you.

I get what you're saying, none of those things listed stop me from playing or enjoying this game at all, but we shouldn't have to "get a PC" to change/include things that shouldn't /should be in there in the first place. That's a pretty shitty argument, imo.

system11

Yeah it's very obvious, the game is horribly sluggish. I play COD:AW and the response is fine on that, same TV... Should add I played the game first on the 360 all the way through and it was sluggish then, but the PS4 version feels even 'heavier' when in reality it should feel more responsive with the slightly better frame rate.

Expecting a locked 30fps for a remaster is now asking too much? A simple improvement from last gen doesn't cut it, sorry.

And having a feature (tree animation) cut that was present in last gen is not excusable either, sorry. I give you AA and I could live with the input lag as long as they fix the deadzones.

I do own a "semi" competent PC (GTX970, 16GB, 3770K@4,4) and will buy the PC version. I am still rightfully mad at R* to not give us a better console version to begin with and especially about their handling of the situation. (Being silent on all issues).

Purest 78

I can't play this game in 1st person it just doesn't feel right to me. Gta is just meant to be 3rd person imo. I wish they had spent that time elsewhere in the game.

Calabi

If your looking around then it needs 1 to 1 controls(or as close as possible). There's no delay when you move your head in the real world. Its impossible to aim accurately at anything otherwise. There's no excuse or reason to justify making your aim so laggy.

Top Bottom