• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What the fuck is up with the input lag in Grand Theft Auto V on PS4??

before i read everything in this thread..

is this the "once you see it you cant unsee it" post from neogaf ?

Once i never had any problem with uncharted 3 control.... until i read the neogaf thread...............

only if you're playing lock on third person at default sensitivity or lower I reckon

I noticed it the moment I started to stick to first person

Pimpwerx

It has input lag for me, but I also think I might have my TV running filters. I have to check that. I never had a problem in any other game though. If I'm not running game mode, I'm sure game mode will fix it. PEACE.

before i read everything in this thread..

is this the "once you see it you cant unsee it" post from neogaf ?

Once i never had any problem with uncharted 3 control.... until i read the neogaf thread...............

For me it was a 'Holy shit, why are the controls so fucking sluggish?' situation from the moment I played it. But I can definitely see how this would only be a problem to someone after someone else points it out to them first.

UrbanRats

Here is the x360 version at the same location for comparison

http://youtu.be/N44yTe0Vu9g

To me, it feels the same as the PS4 version. I can understand some people being more susceptible to the slight delay than others though

The problem was always there, even in GTAIV and RDR.
It's their shitty deadzone, plus the weight/inertia to the camera that creates it.
I'm sure some input lag is also present, no doubt, but i'd bet the dead zone is the main culprit here.
They'll never fix it, i'm afraid.. they probably don't even notice it, and they'll keep cop outing from it with the damn auto aim, like it's a decent solution. :\

Tainted

The problem was always there, even in GTAIV and RDR.
It's their shitty deadzone, plus the weight/inertia to the camera that creates it.
I'm sure some input lag is also present, no doubt, but i'd bet the dead zone is the main culprit here.
They'll never fix it, i'm afraid.. they probably don't even notice it, and they'll keep cop outing from it with the damn auto aim, like it's a decent solution. :\

Im not sure its even deadzone...to me, the controls in GTAIV & V employ a slight acceleration and deceleration effect. This is present in both character and camera movement, when you add a very slight input delay, it makes it feel like controller deadzone

Like you said though, its been there since GTAIV so I've had plenty of time to get used to it....so when GTAV came out I didn't notice it to be any different to the other Rockstar games (MP3 possibly excluded)

Canklestank

Neo Member
Out of curiousity, can everyone in this thread answer a few questions?

1. Have you experienced extreme input lag on PS4 or Xbox One? (Y/N)
2. What version of the game did you play? (Disc/Digital)
3. If applicable, have you experienced extreme input lag on PS3 or Xbox 360 (Y/N)
4. If applicable, what version of the game did you play? (Disc/Digital)

Basically, I'm trying to rule out whether buying digital somehow affects the input lag. It shouldn't based on how current gen consoles work, but it is still a possibility. If not, perhaps we can find some other pattern. I don't think we should just assume that other people have worse eyes or equipment until we rule out other possibilities.

This is coming from someone who just bought the GTAV PS4 bundle but it hasn't arrived yet. I'd like to figure out if there's an issue before I open it and realize I'm stuck with a broken game and lose all of the "value" I got from buying the bundle.

Tainted

1. Have you experienced extreme input lag on PS4 or Xbox One? (Y/N) N
2. What version of the game did you play? (Disc/Digital) Disc
3. If applicable, have you experienced extreme input lag on PS3 or Xbox 360 (Y/N) N
4. If applicable, what version of the game did you play? (Disc/Digital) Disc

Basically, I'm trying to rule out whether buying digital somehow affects the input lag. It shouldn't based on how current gen consoles work, but it is still a possibility. If not, perhaps we can find some other pattern. I don't think we should just assume that other people have worse eyes or equipment until we rule out other possibilities.

This is coming from someone who just bought the GTAV PS4 bundle but it hasn't arrived yet. I'd like to figure out if there's an issue before I open it and realize I'm stuck with a broken game and lose all of the "value" I got from buying the bundle.

Answers above in boldface. I think the title of this thread is a little misleading, as the perceived issue here is totally subjective and is not unique to the PS4 version at all. Essentially I am saying to you, if you had no issue with the controls on the PS360 version, GTAIV or even RDR....I cannot see you having an issue with GTA5, dont worry

1. Have you experienced extreme input lag on PS4 or Xbox One? (Y/N)
2. What version of the game did you play? (Disc/Digital)
3. If applicable, have you experienced extreme input lag on PS3 or Xbox 360 (Y/N)
4. If applicable, what version of the game did you play? (Disc/Digital)

1) In other games? No. In GTA V? Yes. Although I wouldn't really call it "extreme".
2) Disc.
3) Not to this extent, but it still felt a little unresponsive.
4) Disc.

Sojgat

Yeah, it's awful. Shadow of Mordor recently had similar issues, but at least the trees moved in that game.

People either don't notice it or they write the problem off as Rockstar's games just having heavy controls. Like it's a deliberate design decision, and not ineptitude on their part.

Azriell

I skipped last gen version, and have probably now spent 30+ hours in GTA 5 and Online. I haven't noticed input lag, or at least I didn't recognize it as such. I did think that the controls are pretty sluggish, but GTA has always had problems getting walking and aiming right.

I can't watch the proof, because it will ruin the game for me. Just like the tree bs. I probably never would have noticed if I hadn't seen that thread. Hopefully R* will fix the input delay, but I doubt it.

saunderez

PS4, played half the game, definitely playable. It's even quite playable via Remoteplay which wouldn't be possible if lag was as bad as OP states.

PS4 version here. No lag for me either.

Ok...the people saying this need to seriously upload a clip of them playing the game, with the controller in view of the camera. Because if it is an issue that only a few people are experiencing, which is seriously, seriously doubt, then Rockstar need to know about this.

There is lag but I think it's intentional. Why? Don't know. You get used to it pretty quickly though.

I don't know about that. I put up with it because I love the game so much, but I haven't gotten used to it yet, and don't think I will. Every time I try and aim at a moving target I'm reminded of it, lol.

We've yet to see anyone who isn't experiencing this post a video.

People saying they're not having this problem, you need to realise those of us who are sensitive to input latency are only experiencing it in this game. It's not a problem with our TV settings; if it were, it would be present in every other game, and I imagine we're all savvy enough to have our setups in Game / PC mode as well.

Edit:

Ok...the people saying this need to seriously upload a clip of them playing the game, with the controller in view of the camera. Because if it is an issue than only a few people are experiencing, which is seriously, seriously doubt, then Rockstar need to know about this.

It's not only going to be affecting a few people. Some people aren't as sensitive to latency as others. And before anyone gets upset at my statement and starts arguing their hardcore gaming credentials, post a video to prove it. Simply enough to do. Flick the right analogue stick with the monitor in the background.

We've yet to see anyone who isn't experiencing this post a video.

People saying they're not having this problem, you need to realise those of us who are sensitive to input latency are only experiencing it in this game. It's not a problem with our TV settings; if it were, it would be present in every other game, and I imagine we're all savvy enough to have our setups in Game / PC mode as well.

This.

Around 170 hours of BF4 played on PS4 and not once did I notice any sort of input delay/lag/dead-zone issue with the controls. Same with any other game, be it first or third-person.

You either notice it, or you don't. Either way, it's there.

masteratt

Ok...the people saying this need to seriously upload a clip of them playing the game, with the controller in view of the camera. Because if it an issue than only a few people are experiencing, which is seriously, seriously doubt, then Rockstar need to know about this even more so than they do already.

Dude just replace "no lag" with "I don't notice lag" in your head in this thread. Makes the thread more bearable.

There is input lag. FACT. Whether you care / notice it is the topic here.

I personally got used to it. Heck, finished with free aim (as I find game really boring otherwise) but at the same time, yeah, could do with it not being there.

I haven't noticed much imput lag on GTA V PS4, that said, I've been playing Assassin's Creed Unity quite a lot these days. So every time I pop in GTA V, it feels like a the good old Dreamcast days when 60fps was the norm, or I get the impression I'm playing Burnout Paradise. I hope it's not as bad as OP make it sounds, it will be the first thing I'll look the next time I'll play this game.

This.

Around 170 hours of BF4 played on PS4 and not once did I notice any sort of input delay/lag/dead-zone issue with the controls. Same with any other game, be it first or third-person.

You either notice it, or you don't. Either way, it's there.

Sadly enough I notice it on titles like BF4 as well, but it doesn't get in the way of the game, if you know what I mean. GTAV is possibly the worst I've experienced in recent memory, worse than KillZone2 which I actually liked a lot, as it happens.

I do wonder if people are onto something saying it's due to the physics and bodyweight of the character, but if that were the case, I'd expect to see the character's body move when the analogue is moved, even if the camera itself took a while longer. I'm sure it's their engine pipeline.

Same, there is a big dead zone, but I'm not experiencing any lag issues.

I think the thread title needs to be changed to 'input delay/dead-zone' issues. I get the impression that people think the OP is talking about lag as in the type of lag you would get in a multiplayer game.

1. Have you experienced extreme input lag on PS4 or Xbox One? (Yes, Xbox One)
2. What version of the game did you play? (Digital)
3. If applicable, have you experienced extreme input lag on PS3 or Xbox 360 (Yes, on 360)
4. If applicable, what version of the game did you play? (Disc)

I've got my Xbox One plugged directly to a PC monitor via HDMI. The Xbox 360 is plugged directly into the same monitor with the official Microsoft VGA cable. The monitor is an ASUS VH242H.

there is lag, just play far cry 4 or destiny then go back to first person mode without auto aim.

Whether it is a legacy of the third person / auto aim past of gta5, or a function of the footwork of the physics based character movement, who knows.

saunderez

I think the thread title needs to be changed to 'input delay/dead-zone' issues. I get the impression that people think the OP is talking about lag as in the type of lag you would get in a multiplayer game.
Input lag is self explanatory. It's more the fact most people aren't finding it "extreme" and "unplayable" and it certainly isn't any worse than it was on 360. If it was that bad it would be completely unplayable via Remoteplay which adds significant input and display lag and it's not.

Ok...the people saying this need to seriously upload a clip of them playing the game, with the controller in view of the camera. Because if it is an issue that only a few people are experiencing, which is seriously, seriously doubt, then Rockstar need to know about this.

It's the same people who often have magical builds without fps drops. Ignore it.

Oneself

The PS4 controls feel just as shitty as the previous gen versions. Everything is fine.

Rockstar should just play their own Max Payne 3 or responsive games like Infamous.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I noticed the lag on moving the camera. I've gotten used to that to the point where I don't really register it any more.

For me, when I'm moving fast (such as with high speed driving), it helps me to not have the camera be so twitchy. It would be more jarring for me to have a slight nudge on the stick turn the camera really fast when I'm also moving fast.

I thought it was intentional.

chemicals

Ok. Yes it's obviously there.. But also Yes it's there in every open world rockstar game. I am (like so many gamers) used to it from playing gazillions of hours of Gta (3, 4, 5, and everything in between).. The people who say they dont notice it are.. Uhmm.. Not really firing on all cylinders.

I have a gaming monitor (22 inch Acer) and do all of my primary gaming on said monitor.. It has very low input lag.. Almost not noticable.... (pinball fx2 or zen pinball is the ultimate input lag test) yet when I play zen pinball on my mom's top-dollar 50 inch LG TV, i need to retrain my brain to adapt to the lag. It doesn't work too well. I can't really get high scores on the local leaderboards unless I'm playing on my monitor. Fact.

Anyway, I know a guy who has fucked up eyes (meaning he is supposed to wear contacts or glasses, but is too cool to wear them - yes people like this exist in the deep south) and claims that there's no such thing as input lag.

Just sayin.

I beat the PS3 version 9 times, and put far over 1000 hours into it... I've put about 300 hours into the PS4 version, and I literally just beat it the 1st time (I'm listening to the 45 minute credits right now). On a Panasonic 120Hz plasma, too, since I saw some people ask about delays from the TV, and some people have talked about plasma problems with PS4 GTA V and delays or 'judder' (which I also haven't saw, though the game does have a tonne of aliasing and shimmer during camera panning compared to, say, Driveclub).

And I never notice any difference. If anything, the PS4 version feels better because my DS4 is brand new and the sticks are still tight, where as my DS3 sticks were a little worn and lost of some their tightness and resistance. Both games had 'input lag', if by input lag you mean analog stick dead zones and also the innate GTA momentum inertia.

Never really noticed it before... never found it unplayable, I can run and gun, chain head shots, and essentially never die no problem even with the Minimap and HUD hidden and on free aim. The controls certainly don't hinder the gameplay for me in any way, though granted I'm very 'used' or acclimatized to it now. PS4 version felt the same as any other GTA game IMO.

I mean, there can obviously be delays but it feels the same as any other version or GTA entry... You just get used to it. Also, learn to use in-combat movement by keeping R2 half-pressed for movement, turning, running and gunning. When you're in-combat, the traditional GTA momentum intertia (e.g. the weight delays and the large turning circles) are removed, and input is 1:1 (past the deadzone) and you can turn, spin on a dime, etc. Tweaking the aiming sensitivity helps a lot, too. But it's mostly just getting used to the traditional momentum intertia and the odd dead zone (which isn't innate to the DS4 because I play Driveclub daily too and there's zero dead zone). If you feel it's significantly different than the PS3 version though, I'm not sure why that is.

big_z

the camera movement has weighted acceleration and smoothing. its something that will be super apparent with a mouse. I find games with this type of built in smoothing feel more playable with a controller since theyre not as precise. that said if your tv has a fair bit of lag the added delay in the camera become very apparent. it is something rockstar can patch out.

I beat the PS3 version 9 times, and put far over 1000 hours into it... I've put about 300 hours into the PS4 version, and I literally just beat it the 1st time (I'm listening to the 45 minute credits right now).

how do you feel about bubsy 3d?

cormack12

Gold Member
Here's another vid on youtube that probably explains and shows it a bit more clearly. The deadzone coupled with the acceleration curve is the real problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQFXJdPxFOY

If people are having no problems then they should make the video above showing they get inputs when the right analog stick is moved 1mm-3mm from origin.

Top Bottom