• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What the fuck is up with the input lag in Grand Theft Auto V on PS4??

leng jai

Depressing thread. The fact that so many people claim they have zero problems with how the game controls means we'll probably be getting the same garbage for GTA 6.

It is noticable but not annoying for me. I play on the BenQ 120fps low lag monitor though. With a normal tv and its 2-3 frames of lag added it probably is annoying.

The deadzone is not the issue. The lag is. They probably need a slow accleration and a larger deadzone because with the amount of lag at hand, the game would be uncontrollable otherwise. If the game is sluggish itself, you need to make the controls slow to make it fit.

You guys claiming "no lag" should at least take a look at this table and article:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-lag-factor-article?page=3

In the case of GTA V, we are looking at least 133ms of lag probably. No factor in about 30ms lag of your TV (as an ok average) and you are already >150ms of lag. How is that not supposed to feel sluggish?

I love your theory that because last gen of consoles had GTA 4 with 133ms of lag that clearly means the current gen with GTA5 has at least the same lag.

I know you are Master PC race fan club member #1 but there are like 6 logical leaps you are making with zero proof.

SMZC

Rockstar has always been garbage at aiming controls in consoles (yes, that goes for Max Payne 3 too). I thought with the improved performance the next-gen version of GTAV would be better in this regard, but nope.

It's especially ridiculous when you put things in perspective. One of the most expensive games in existence, involving huge amounts of manpower to create this big, rich and immersive world... and no one in the team had the good sense to properly adjust something as basic and essential as input lag.

I like GTAV, but this sort of shit is inexcusable.

Ranger X

Depressing thread. The fact that so many people claim they have zero problems with how the game controls means we'll probably be getting the same garbage for GTA 6.

Indeed. But most feel it put SEE it as something else (huge dead zone, sluggish controls, tuff to aim, etc). Most of those feeling are coming from the fact this game lags as shit.

Tainted

Any people not having the problem put up a test video?

In my vid I just posted, I don't have a problem at all personally. It feels just the same as it did on the 360 and GTA IV previously.

I may post up a 360 vid of the same location for comparison if anyone is interested ?

Skyzard

Banned
Here is my test in gaming mode in a similar location for comparison:

http://youtu.be/zecyBjOQr2I

Also my DS4 was modded with Xbone sticks, so in case the controller looks slightly different :)

I don't recommend it but if you want, check it out at 0.25x speed.

It doesn't look as bad as the OP's video at all. Though I don't think he replied about what speed he slowed it down by.

Wanny

I did notice some input lag in GTA4 PS4, especially while aiming. My TV is already at the lowest input lag mode while gaming.

Thrakier

I love your theory that because last gen of consoles had GTA 4 with 133ms of lag that clearly means the current gen with GTA5 has at least the same lag.

I know you are Master PC race fan club member #1 but there are like 6 logical leaps you are making with zero proof.

First: I am not member of any master race and certainly not nr. 1. I game on PC and that's it.

Second: 130ms is average for 30fps games. Rockstars efforts are known for its sluggish controls be it last gen or the gen before. Predicting, based on this thread and the videos, that this game is in the ssame ballpark is certainly not "6 logical leaps and zero proof". I'd rather say it's just one logical leap which makes a lot of sense.

I haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary. If it weren't for this thread, I wouldn't have even known there was any kind of issue.

LilJoka

From the videos it looks like lag from the movement starting but not stopping, so maybe it's a filtered input with an exponential response speed plus the deadzone which gives the effect we see.

Sayter

It's shows that consumers are sheep when comes to luxury items. I am one of those sheep (6 360s in 5 years)

Baaaaaahh. :(

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Rockstar has always been garbage at aiming controls in consoles (yes, that goes for Max Payne 3 too). I thought with the improved performance the next-gen version of GTAV would be better in this regard, but nope.

It's especially ridiculous when you put things in perspective. One of the most expensive games in existence, involving huge amounts of manpower to create this big, rich and immersive world... and no one in the team had the good sense to properly adjust something as basic and essential as input lag.

I like GTAV, but this sort of shit is inexcusable.

Max Payne 3 controls fine on console with a few tweaks in the settings. After spending 30 hours or so on GTA V I went back and played the PS3 version of Max Payne 3 right after it. The difference was really surprising, sure Max himself is slow in movement but it felt super responsive and I had a blast replaying it.

On PC it's even better at 60fps with mouse control though.

iMax

Just tested for myself. Yup, it's there. Weirdly not in Michael and Franklin's slo-mo modes though. Or in the menus.

Calabi

your settings must be jacked up. no lag on PS4 or XB1 here

image.php

Copen

Banned
Can other PS4 owners of the game chime in, please?

The input lag is real sadly. And the trigger button still doesn't work properly so for me it completely ruined the game I mean the whole game is based around shooting things and how they can get that basic function wrong is baffling. End result i sold my copy I'll buy it back when they've worked the bugs out and actually deliver the heists which nobody seems to remember was supposed to be here at launch on the 360/PS3 and still isn't there. I think Rockstar gets a pass from most people by default for the past games but they should be taken to task over the input lag and the heists mode we paid they failed to deliver.

Also my DS4 was modded with Xbone sticks, so in case the controller looks slightly different :)

In my vid I just posted, I don't have a problem at all personally. It feels just the same as it did on the 360 and GTA IV previously.

I may post up a 360 vid of the same location for comparison if anyone is interested ?

Thanks for the video, but seriously, you can't see the problem??

Ishida

Banned
Could you guys please stop these "zero lag" comments? They are just stupid, since it's technically impossible.

Ok.

No noticeable lag on my end. The game still controls like the PS3 version. So it is perfectly playable and extremely enjoyable.

SMZC

Max Payne 3 controls fine on console with a few tweaks in the settings. After spending 30 hours or so on GTA V I went back and played the PS3 version of Max Payne 3 right after it. The difference was really surprising, sure Max himself is slow in movement but it felt super responsive and I had a blast replaying it.

On PC it's even better at 60fps with mouse control though.

That's the problem. If you have to tweak them, there's an issue. Personally, I never managed to find a configuration that felt satisfying to me. When there's so many great console games out there with superb aiming right out of the box, there's no excuse. Rockstar needs to step its game up in this regard.

This is the entire reason why I decided to start saving toward a new PC, by the way. Can't wait to play GTA V with good controls

Ok.

No noticeable lag on my end. The game still controls like the PS3 version. So it is perfectly playable and extremely enjoyable.

What are your settings? Are you using free aim? Assisted free aim? Full on lock on?

It's most noticeable during first person or free aim gameplay. And it's very noticeable next to most other games on the system, if you play one after another.

Tainted

Thanks for the video, but seriously, you can't see the problem??

I can see the problem, but I just don't have a huge issue with it. I spent around 120Hrs with the 360 version and 66Hrs with the PS4 version...so maybe I am just used to it or adapted to it. I just put it down to how the game controls.

I can see what people are referring to when it is pointed out though, but it just hasn't affected my enjoyment of the game at all.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
That's the problem. If you have to tweak them, there's an issue. Personally, I never managed to find a configuration that felt satisfying to me. When there's so many great console games out there with superb aiming right out of the box, there's no excuse. Rockstar needs to step its game up in this regard.

Oh absolutely I agree with you, I'm just saying how much better Max Payne 3 feels in general compared to GTA V in regards to movement/shooting :)

onken

Rockstar games always have awful input delay on consoles so sadly this doesn't surprise me. Gameplay is usually compensating for it so makes sense that it stands out more in game modes that were shoehorned in later.

I can see the problem, but I just don't have a huge issue with it. I spent around 120Hrs with the 360 version and 66Hrs with the PS4 version...so maybe I am just used to it or adapted to it. I just put it down to how the game controls.

I can see what people are referring to when it is pointed out though, but it just hasn't affected my enjoyment of the game at all.

OK, cool :) Good for you for not letting it ruin the game.

While I still enjoy the game online with some friends, the latency basically makes it a fucking-around game rather than anything I can take remotely seriously / competitively.

You do get used to it, but you have to play the game a certain way. Now, imagine if third person view controlled like Gear Of War - that had a weight to the character movement, but kept responsive enough to have some great firefights. The only thing which makes this game playable in a firefight is lock-on.

With all the detail in the environment, all the attention to detail and love R* pour into the game, I can't believe how janky the control system is. It's a game, control is the single most important element. But then what do I know, the series sells gazillions and people love it regardless.

leng jai

I don't see any contradiction there. There might be some lag, he is just saying that it isn't noticeable, at least for him. And I kinda feel the same way as him.

Guess so. It's hard to fathom how people don't notice how unresponsive the controls are. What's even more worrying that he finds GTA 5 controls extremely enjoyable.

Perfec7_

Neo Member
Every single RS TPS has terrible input lag and controls.

This will only change if more people bring this up and notice it.

Compare the controls of RS games to tons of other console TPS's. It's night and day.

RDR2 is my most anticipated game right now, but if it still has these issues, it will 've very disappointing.

If people are saying they don't notice anything, you don't understand or notice it. Simple as that. There are issues, period.

Looks exactly the same as it does in my video. I noticed it instantly. There's a definitely delay from the time you move your stick to the time the game moves, and from when you stop moving your stick to when the camera stops moving.

I really wish I was like you and didn't care about it. It's not game-breaking, It's pretty much the only game I play and I love it to death, but I just wish it felt snappier and smoother to play.

High five on the X1 sticks also!

Garuda1One

before i read everything in this thread..

is this the "once you see it you cant unsee it" post from neogaf ?

Once i never had any problem with uncharted 3 control.... until i read the neogaf thread...............

I don't really notice it anywhere except for aiming in gunplay.

Feels terrible there, or maybe that's just where it's most noticeable.

And I know it's not because of the framerate, because Far Cry and Watch Dogs were fine.

Top Bottom