• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Browser Has Tabbed Browsing, Screenshots, HTML5, But No Flash

MarkusRJR

Grabbing the pad and screen framebuffers for screenshots is awesome if they can actually be used in the browser... which it sounds like it can...

the 3DS browser was a step back from opera on the Wii, but this sounds like the logical progression
The 3DS browser doesn't have flash because it runs the browser with games in the background. It'd take up too much RAM if it supported flash. On the Wii the browser couldn't run with something in the background.

steve-jobs-iphone-4-facetime-smiling.jpg

Flash is such a piece of shit. I can't count the number of times it crashes in Chrome. Even just looking at a site with flash ads can crash it. FUCK YOU ADOBE!

Everytime I see a topic about how Flash is dying out, all I can think is "what about sites that were centered entirely around it, like Homestar Runner...?" Is there some kind of Flash->HTML5 converter I'm not aware of?

pvpness

Everytime I see a topic about how Flash is dying out, all I can think is "what about sites that were centered entirely around it, like Homestar Runner...?" Is there some kind of Flash->HTML5 converter I'm not aware of?

Asked earlier but got no answer. There are actually flash games I enjoy. Hoping there's some easy alternative to flash in html5 but nobody seems to know. Google is turning up nothing. Damn my ignorance!

They will adapt or die. Flash is a shit stain on the web. Regarldless of OS or web browser I use flash has constantly been the source of the vast majority of issues my computers have. My tablets and phones don't support it and my Mac and PC have extensions to block it.

HD YT videos in Chrome make my CPU work at 100% and don't play smoothly. I just went to youtube.com/html5 and enabled HTML5 !! Didn't know you could do that!! Think it is still in test stages though.

Threi

notag
Hooray for less features.

I think you guys are crazy. Why not offer both, with the option to disable flash?

Pretty much every new device out has dropped support for flash, including the new IE for xbox 360.

This is not something new, and not something that should come as a shock to anyone who has been paying attention to web/browsing development.

wrowa

I think you guys are crazy. Why not offer both, with the option to disable flash?

Because people want to see Flash die already. Every piece of hardware that doesn't support Flash is a step in the right, Flash-free future.

why nintendo don't understand that a browser without flash is basically useless?

Did you ever use an iOS device? People still act like Flash is a giant thing, but the truth is that you can surf the web without it perfectly fine.

Izick

Would really have loved to have Flash in it, but it's understandable to not have it. I know we all want Flash dead, and less sites are using it, but it's still a major part of the things I like to do while browsing the web, which is usually watching videos, or letting their audio play in the background, and yes I know Youtube has HTML5 support, but there are other sites besides Youtube to watch video.

Anyway,Adobe really just have fucking bungled flash beyond belief at this point. I mean, they don't seem to even give a shit about it on anything but Windows. It's been completely axed for Linux and mobile platforms over the years, so what's left? Just Windows and Mac users? Adobe ruined it for themselves.

wsippel

Banned

Because Flash as a web plugin is being phased out. There is no Flash Player for embedded devices anymore and Flash CS6 now targets Adobe AIR for stand alone applications and exports HTML5 for web.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Hopefully it can load pages faster than the 3DS browser, that shit is fucking slow compared to a PC browser.

Jackano

I'm now starting thinking/looking forward to some new features for websites for the Wii U browser. Hopefully, the thing will be more used by the Wii U owners than the 3DS one. Screenshot feature looks primising, but I'm still traumatized by the lack of bottom screen screenshot on 3DS notes app.

What do you want from websites by browing them specifically with the Wii U gamepad?

They will adapt or die. Flash is a shit stain on the web. Regarldless of OS or web browser I use flash has constantly been the source of the vast majority of issues my computers have. My tablets and phones don't support it and my Mac and PC have extensions to block it.
So you're not at all bothered about the idea that some sites on the Internet will become totally inaccessible?

I don't disagree that Flash is quite bloated, but the idea of sites and games I used to access on the Internet becoming wholly unavailable is not exactly a future I look forward to.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Hate flash all you want, it still rules over content

Mobile and especially iPad youtube is shit

So you're not at all bothered about the idea that some sites on the Internet will become totally inaccessible?

I don't disagree that Flash is quite bloated, but the idea of sites and games I used to access on the Internet becoming wholly unavailable is not exactly a future I look forward to.
given that embedded flash has been discontinued by Adobe and given that Apple don't support it on iPhone and given that Android phones have stopped including it...

it's been inevitable for, what, five years? if the content creators don't care enough about their own content to convert it, that sure as hell isn't Nintendo's fault.

Would really have loved to have Flash in it, but it's understandable to not have it. I know we all want Flash dead, and less sites are using it, but it's still a major part of the things I like to do while browsing the web, which is usually watching videos, or letting their audio play in the background, and yes I know Youtube has HTML5 support, but there are other sites besides Youtube to watch video.

Anyway,Adobe really just have fucking bungled flash beyond belief at this point. I mean, they don't seem to even give a shit about it on anything but Windows. It's been completely axed for Linux and mobile platforms over the years, so what's left? Just Windows and Mac users? Adobe ruined it for themselves.

As a Mac user I can tell you first hand that the majority of crashes I have are related to Flash.

BadAss2961

No Flash sucks. Whether you want it supported or not, it's necessary to watch a lot of streaming, especially for sports.
Exactly.

I have absolutely no interest in a war to end Flash. If it dies, it dies. But for now, I just want my devices to be as complete as possible as long as there are several sites that still require it.

Top Bottom