• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Browser Has Tabbed Browsing, Screenshots, HTML5, But No Flash

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
I'll never use the thing, but I'm glad for more support of HTML5 and not an increase for Flash.

D-e-f-

Banned
I'll never use the thing, but I'm glad for more support of HTML5 and not an increase for Flash.

How can you know that now? If it runs really well and loads fast (which the extra RAM may finally enable them to do?!) then why not call up the browser on the tab to post a stupid screenshot of Link destroying all the furniture in Zelda's bedroom on GAF, for example?

Btw I went ahead and screencapped Iwata's browser presentation:

2326636-iwatagivecash.jpg

Ret's have a rook ...

2326624-wiiubrowser.jpg

two-screen browsing

2326625-wiiubrowsertabs.jpg

browser-tabs in action!

2326626-wiiubrowsergamepad.jpg

browse only on the gamepad

2326627-wiiubrowserdoublevideo.jpg

video on both screens

2326628-wiiubrowservideoandweb.jpg

video on the TV and browse on the pad

2326629-wiiubrowsercurtain.jpg

browser has curtains!

2326631-wiiubrowsercurtainbanana.jpg

for such awesome secrets like...

2326630-wiiubrowsercurtainbananafinal.jpg

BANANAIWATA

2326632-wiiubrowserscrollgyro.jpg

Motionscrolling! Wooo (?)

2326634-wiiubrowserscreenshot2.jpg

Take screenshots from your Wii U games with this fancy button.

2326633-wiiuscreenshot1.jpg

That's the end result.

TunaLover

Nintendo also revealed that when players pause their Wii U games and access their internet browser, they will have access to images of the tv and GamePad displays from that paused game. Player-created game screenshots are already known to be used in Nintendo's MiiVerse functonality. However, many details regarding using and saving the images are still unknown. When users pause a game and access the internet browser, the software will remember the paused game's name and prepopulate search queries with it to help users look for relevant information.
It will be great for games like Xenoblade in which you need search for FAQs constantly =P

D-e-f-

Banned
It will be great for games like Xenoblade in which you need search for FAQs constantly =P

That is actually a very nice aspect. I'd liken it to the steam overlay which I use quite frequently when I'm stuck somewhere instead of alt-tabbing out of a game.

As usual, it's the little things that make a Nintendo product special and worthwhile!

Now they only need to make the browser run just as well as on a PC or at least close to that.

How can you know that now? If it runs really well and loads fast (which the extra RAM may finally enable them to do?!) then why not call up the browser on the tab to post a stupid screenshot of Link destroying all the furniture in Zelda's bedroom on GAF, for example?

Btw I went ahead and screencapped Iwata's browser presentation:

2326636-iwatagivecash.jpg

Ret's have a rook ...

2326624-wiiubrowser.jpg

two-screen browsing

2326625-wiiubrowsertabs.jpg

browser-tabs in action!

2326626-wiiubrowsergamepad.jpg

browse only on the gamepad

2326627-wiiubrowserdoublevideo.jpg

video on both screens

2326628-wiiubrowservideoandweb.jpg

video on the TV and browse on the pad

2326629-wiiubrowsercurtain.jpg

browser has curtains!

2326631-wiiubrowsercurtainbanana.jpg

for such awesome secrets like...

2326630-wiiubrowsercurtainbananafinal.jpg

BANANAIWATA

2326632-wiiubrowserscrollgyro.jpg

Motionscrolling! Wooo (?)

2326634-wiiubrowserscreenshot2.jpg

Take screenshots from your Wii U games with this fancy button.

2326633-wiiuscreenshot1.jpg

That's the end result.
Great post, thank you! I look forward to using this browser once.

AzaK

Does anyone know if you can browse whilst the Wii U is doing something else like Netflix? I'm under the impression you can't based on the fact that you can't play a game on the TV while watching a movie with Netflix. If they are pushing the Wii U as a media delivery device and that's a big selling point, they need to also enable it to be used for other things on the tablet whilst that movie is being played.

In our early dreams we were all hoping we could VC while something was going one but that's since been quashed for other reasons.

D-e-f-

Banned
Does anyone know if you can browse whilst the Wii U is doing something else like Netflix? I'm under the impression you can't based on the fact that you can't play a game on the TV while watching a movie with Netflix. If they are pushing the Wii U as a media delivery device and that's a big selling point, they need to also enable it to be used for other things on the tablet whilst that movie is being played.

In our early dreams we were all hoping we could VC while something was going one but that's since been quashed for other reasons.

Well right now you could assume it could go both ways. The browser can be used while a game is running. But you can't PLAY the game while someones else is using the browser. I would assume that Netflix as an app would also be paused should you call up the browser. But at the same time, they might have accounted for that possibility and let you call up the browser on the GamePad if it detects a streaming app running.

We just don't know. Nobody seems to have asked about this specifically during interviews.

Top Bottom