• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Browser Has Tabbed Browsing, Screenshots, HTML5, But No Flash

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
given that embedded flash has been discontinued by Adobe and given that Apple don't support it on iPhone and given that Android phones have stopped including it...

it's been inevitable for, what, five years? if the content creators don't care enough about their own content to convert it, that sure as hell isn't Nintendo's fault.
Well, they did save Bayonetta 2, why couldn't they do that with Flash?

reggieshrugee3.gif

So you're not at all bothered about the idea that some sites on the Internet will become totally inaccessible?

I don't disagree that Flash is quite bloated, but the idea of sites and games I used to access on the Internet becoming wholly unavailable is not exactly a future I look forward to.

If the owners hold onto dying tech and refuse to move forward then yes, I don't care. This goes for any business. Adapt or die.

I remember when my screen broke on my old powerbook I spent over 6 months surfing the web on Wii alone - reading GAF on Wii was a trip

I will not underestimate that feature again

KalBalboa

Banned
If the owners hold onto dying tech and refuse to move forward then yes, I don't care. This goes for any business. Adapt or die.

Like a Mac with flash.

I personally like having the options and "backwards compatibility" with content on the internet. Completely abandoning certain tech out of the blue is something that always kept Apple at an arm's length with me, but I can see why Nintendo doesn't see the need to incorporate it into a game console's browser
even though the PS3 and my Galaxy S does

I think it's safe to say we'll see the YouTube leanback approach being taken on the Wii-U akin to how it currently works on PS3 & smart phones.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Last time i tried watching a Youtube video on my 3DS, it wasn't working because it didn't have Flash... did i miss something for this to work or what? That was months ago though.

Izick

As a Mac user I can tell you first hand that the majority of crashes I have are related to Flash.

I just used Chrome when I had my Air, but Flash still caused problems.

And as a Windows user, I can say crash has caused the majority of crashes for me as well. Just a really poor platform. It's a shame because for all the good it did, it never really seemed to progress, and its creator's never really seemed to ever give a shit.

I think you need a XBL Gold sub for that.

For Youtube and the web, yes; for CD's, no.

Even sites that stopped updating a while ago, but you want to revisit for nostalgic purposes?

I take it archival isn't really a priority of yours.

Luigiv

Last time i tried watching a Youtube video on my 3DS, it wasn't working because it didn't have Flash... did i miss something for this to work or what? That was months ago though.

3DS doesn't have HTML5 media either, though (same goes for the Vita's browser for that matter). Wii U does so it shouldn't be an issue. It'll also have a dedicated Youtube app too.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
3DS doesn't have HTML5 media either, though (same goes for the Vita's browser for that matter). Wii U does so it shouldn't be an issue. It'll also have a dedicated Youtube app too.

Wait the Wii have HTML5 but not 3DS? Why? Is HTML5 impossible to put on portable consoles?

Exactly.

I have absolutely no interest in a war to end Flash. If it dies, it dies. But for now, I just want my devices to be as complete as possible as long as there are several sites that still require it.

Then you'd better hope that more sites and providers start following Nintendo's lead and start dropping flash for HTML5.

marc^o^

It'd be great if we could instantly switch between the web browser and the game, back and forth.

Btw, I remember exactly when I started hating on flash. It was around 2005 and the game King Kong had just came out. I was surfing around on IGN's page reading news all quiet like in my room and all of a sudden a giant clap of thunder loud as hell came out of my speakers and a giant loud roar. My screen goes black and King Kong ripped through the blackness.

I'm like "What the hell is this bullshit????" It was of course a flash ad that took over the entire computer.

KingJ2002

Sounds like the Wii U browser will be a beast. As long as it gets regular updates... it will be a viable options to use.

and the lack of flash support is great. if it was supported it would be the one thing that would either break or make the system vulnerable to hacks from the browser.

Wii U is shaping up to be a great value the more I hear about it.

Matt

The reason why i was wondering about it is because of this:

" One final example is that Wii U owners can simply just browse the internet on their GamePad while the television displays regular programming."

It might be referring to regular TV shows though, but it doesnt make it 100% clear. Would be a great feature though, indeed :)

A game has to allow the system to do this, but yes, it is possible.

I'm also new to the "flash is dead we hate flash" party. Sucks for Newgrounds, what are they gonna do? Also Homestar Runner, if it ever comes back..

FyreWulff

I'm also new to the "flash is dead we hate flash" party. Sucks for Newgrounds, what are they gonna do? Also Homestar Runner, if it ever comes back..

Homestar Runner is actually Shockwave, which is in another level of purgatory altogether (and never even had Linux support officially)

Threi

notag
Then you'd better hope that more sites and providers start following Nintendo's lead and start dropping flash for HTML5.
Again, this isn't "nintendo's lead". This has been going on for quite a while now. Hell, the most recent example is ie in the xbox 360 preview dash.

Eh. Flash is becoming less of a big deal (Android is no longer supporting it), since all those services are moving to more of an app structure.

If Wii U can just offer an open app development platform, it will not be an issue.

I really doubt the Wii U will offer an open app development platform.

madmackem

I can see me using this alot, using it while watching sport on the main tv, or taking the internet to the bog. Yes ive an ipad but i can see me using this as i will hopefully have also my miiverse friends at the touch of a button too. This could really change alot of things for me i cant wait.

Again, this isn't "nintendo's lead". This has been going on for quite a while now. Hell, the most recent example is ie in the xbox 360 preview dash.

Ok then, you'd better hope more sites and providers start following Nintendo and other folks' lead on HTML 5.

marc^o^

You know I can't wait to wake up, browse Google news on the GamePad while having breakfast, have a miiverse message telling me one of you broke my record in balloon trip, launch ballon trip to regain my crown, just before going to work.

pvpness

So with all the love html5 is getting in this thread, I take it there is some way to make games in html5 instead of flash. Good. I don't care about flash then. Long as there are sites that will let me play hundreds of games for free without having to download anything, I've absolutely nothing to bitch about.

Persona7

Banned
Youtube Feather works so much better in the PS3 browser, I would say that it still works better than the youtube app they released.

VariantX

Do you not mind your browser slowing down and crashing at random?

This. Nothing like watching a video only to have flash decide to suddenly put a stranglehold on your pc and lock it up for a minute or two before just crashing. Flash 11.3 r300 crashed so much so often that I was better off downgrading back to an earlier version, that only crashes half as much.

NeoRausch

Wasn't it mentioned that the system even recognizes what games you are playing and gives youu the option to look for FAQ when you start up the browser while playing?
Did i hallucinate that in the ND?

M3d10n

Hooray for less features.

I think you guys are crazy. Why not offer both, with the option to disable flash?

Because Adobe no longer provides non-X86 versions of Flash Player. It's not an option.

Wait the Wii have HTML5 but not 3DS? Why? Is HTML5 impossible to put on portable consoles?

The 3DS browser has only ~28MBs of RAM to work with, which is not enough to run an H.264 video decoder. Not to mention the 3DS would probably not be able to handle high-bitrate video commonly found in the web, since it doesn't have a dedicated video decoder.

Exactly.

I have absolutely no interest in a war to end Flash. If it dies, it dies. But for now, I just want my devices to be as complete as possible as long as there are several sites that still require it.
Adobe does not support/provide flash on embedded devices anymore. Simple answer. How can anyone provide support for a feature that isn't available??

Keeping completely aside the fact that flash is dead and has been replaced by HTML5 for all required functions.

Here have a play of these in your modern browser:
http://www.chromeexperiments.com/

personal favourite:
http://thewildernessdowntown.com/

Top Bottom