• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Cannot Display Images Correctly on 4:3 SDTVs

Medalion

Banned
This thread reminds me of the people bitching about needing the Internet for the Wii-U

After a decade and more of complaining NIntnedo doesn't embrace online enough

Durante

In some cases scaling can have negligible impact on performance, and in other cases it can make a noticable impact. All depends on the game.
What Panajev is saying is that it really doesn't have to. A modern GPU can scale an image in a few microseconds.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
In some cases scaling can have negligible impact on performance, and in other cases it can make a noticable impact. All depends on the game. It would also require Nintendo not give the game developer full control over the rendering hardware, which is definitely bad.

And no, a game isn't required to have any code scaling an image before sending it to the Gamepad (some games do it, some don't).

I just don't see why making these compromises would be needed, when it's much better just to design your game to not put critical data where it could be overscanned, or add in an overscan-adjustment option that lets the player adjust the positioning of the HUD.

True, but as I said I suspect developers already design it to be overscan safe, pretty much all console manufacturers mandate this as part of their TRC's, but it is something that does not seem to affect 16:9 SDTV's, but only 4:3 SDTV's which are 480p at best. Wii U's GPU, while it is rendering a 480p image, should have no trouble scaling the output to help 4:3 TV owners and the game would not suffer performance wise.
Still, as Durante said too... modern GPU's should do a single image scaling operation in the blink of an eye... if that is what destroys your GPU budget there are other problems you need to consider first IMHO.

It would also require Nintendo not give the game developer full control over the rendering hardware, which is definitely bad.

This boat has already left the docks, we are not getting into Apple style baby-proofing (MSAA support on iOS wastes a LOT of performance to make sure no developer can mess up using the GPU's built-in native resolve on chip feature, you can imagine how much performance and memory space is left on the table there...), but we are not PS2's GS style full control over rendering anymore IMHO... less and less each generation at least...

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
who would give a shit bout this? Upgrade your tv dude, damn. This is a sign, if modern day technology was not.

I do have an HDTV, personally I am more pissed about needing to buy a new AV receiver, but since I did spend some money on VC titles (and Wii titles) and Nintendo is the one not giving me an option to play them on the 480p GamePad, I shudder at the thought of playing SNES and NES titles on an HDTV.... I do not have good memories of connecting the Wii to a 21'' LCD through component (Samsung TV set, native 1600x900 IIRC) and playing NES and SNES titles... SM64 looked decent, but its UI did not...

So, I keep Wii hooked up to a CRT.

This thread reminds me of the people bitching about needing the Internet for the Wii-U

After a decade and more of complaining NIntnedo doesn't embrace online enough

It's the daily flavor. I asume the checklist of arbitrary things to bitch about will run out sooner or later.

Let me try this myself:

I bet the WiiU will also not be compatible with my old Gameboy. I mean what the Hell Nintendo, the Gameboy would be a perfectly viable Gamepad substitute.

Similarly, why do my N64 cartridges and Memory cards not fit in there? What were they thinking?

Using a power outlet? Seriously? How elitist. What about all the poor homeless people who can't buy and use one?

It's easier than I thought.

YourMaster

I for one still have a 4:3 tv, I got it when there was no such thing as an HDTV, and it still works perfectly. If it were to break I would replace it with an HDTV.

I was still on the fence for a WiiU, and probably would have bought it in a few months, but for me, this is a dealbreaker. Simply because I have no need for an HDTV, and having to buy one would double the price of entry on a WiiU.

I for one still have a 4:3 tv, I got it when there was no such thing as an HDTV, and it still works perfectly. If it were to break I would replace it with an HDTV.

I was still on the fence for a WiiU, and probably would have bought it in a few months, but for me, this is a dealbreaker. Simply because I have no need for an HDTV, and having to buy one would double the price of entry on a WiiU.

Surely you own a PS3 or 360, that is enough reason to own a HDTV otherwise you're just losing a ton of detail in the games, do you not watch Blu Ray or anything like that?

I can't imagine not having a HDTV in 2012.

Haunted

Did you ever stop to think that maybe, just maybe there are more than a few people out there who still play their old, and in some cases, vintage video game consoles and who dont want to put up with the blurry, pixel-stretched mess that an HDTV would afford them?

Your lack of understanding disappoints me, GAF.
If those are your priorities, more power to you.

But I don't expect you to raise a fuss when the newest DX11 game doesn't run on your WinXP machine. That you can't play Halo 4 on your Xbox. That the WiiU doesn't properly display on your 4:3 SDTV.

Rich!

This thread reminds me of my time in gaming retail:

"I bought this 3DS game and it won't fit in my DS Lite!"

" Can I get a refund on this ps3 game, it won't work on my ps2"

I mean, not exactly the same. And yeah, Nintendo could have implemented it - but technology moves on. Its not far off the point now where CRTs haven't been actively sold in stores for A DECADE. In terms of technology, that's a fucking long time.

I mean, I'm also of the opinion that the nextbox/ps4 will be the same as this too. People need to move on, unfortunately.

Breaking news. Wii lacks gramophone support.

No one uses 4:3 TVs, other than hipster nobheads and people who shouldn't be spending $350 on a games console.

5 pages of this nonsense?!

I know there's an Overscan issue with Wii U on certain HDTVs, but I feel like this is a bigger issue and severely affects the playability of games. While most of us have HDTVs now I know there are still some GAFers out there who use an SDTV primarily, and if I were one of them I would not buy a Wii U at this point, as you'll see below.

A sincere thanks for the warning.

Ranger X

What I don't understand is why the WiiU wouldn't have "safe screen" rules in its game approval like everybody does. Devs needs to care about that for every console on the market, its hard to believe Nintendo doesn't care for the WiiU. I suspect that the lotcheck rules for approval haven't been respected for most games just because they needed to games out ASAP. This would really be stupid to not have such rules anyways because even HDTVs are overscanning and a large majority of them by default. This is because cable TV didn't adjust itself yet and still displays garbage around the screen sometimes. Thankfully enough, most TVs are having settings for preventing overscan nowadays but it's not like people are knowing about it, what it does or even less how to set it right.

Jay Sosa

No offense but who plays an HD console on a freaking CRT?

I mean yeah Nintendo f'up on a lot of fronts with the WiiU but this is a bit ridiculous.

FyreWulff

What I don't understand is why the WiiU wouldn't have "safe screen" rules in its game approval like everybody does. Devs needs to care about that for every console on the market, its hard to believe Nintendo doesn't care for the WiiU. I suspect that the lotcheck rules for approval haven't been respected for most games just because they needed to games out ASAP. This would really be stupid to not have such rules anyways because even HDTVs are overscanning and a large majority of them by default. This is because cable TV didn't adjust itself yet and still displays garbage around the screen sometimes. Thankfully enough, most TVs are having settings for preventing overscan nowadays but it's not like people are knowing about it, what it does or even less how to set it right.

If they're really making cert cheaper and faster, throwing out title safe requirements would free up time. Might just be letting developers deal with it on their own.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
I strongly expect this to become a common complaint in user reviews

"Why does the WiiU's image look borked on my Telefunken?"

Well wiiu should have supported this for those who have such a TV since nintendo seemed to be a big suuporter of SD.

Actually I agree, but in an age where PC hardware is made obsolete by planned redundancy every 2 years and in case of printers even faster, it is incredibly naive to expect SDTVs to still be properly supported 8 years after they've been made redundant.

Also Nintendo wasn't a big supporter of SD, they are a big supporter of their bank account, and keeping SD resolution for Wii was in line with that. Not supporting it now is also in their interest. 360 and PS3 are also not really optimal when viewed on an SDTV. From fonts, to colour range, to contrast, they both were allways horrible on old CRTs.

A simple solution would be just to use a letterbox display and be done with it. 4:3 TVs would still be able to show the whole picture, and it would run.
The B/W problem sounds like a bug that will be squashed when and if enough people complain. But not on GAF since that's about as efficient as fighting windmills.

I strongly expect this to become a common complaint in user reviews

"Why does the WiiU's image look borked on my Telefunken?"
Telefunken got them covered:

e9cfb49715727a010cf9d3a13ce50291_tele.JPG

Actually, I see how this could be terrible to Wii only owners, considering that console looked at its best on old TVs and they heard for years HD didn't matter. Then again, Wii only owners have a lot of stuff to catch up.

kinggroin

Banned
4:3 TVs with HDMI...?

I mean, this problem sucks for those people and I hope they get a fix soon, but I genuinely did not know this was a thing that existed.

Friend of my dad had a 40" 4:3 crt Sony hdtv. Hdmi input I believe.

We asked if he ever thought about moving to a flat panel, and he laughed at us saying (I'm paraphrasing) "The only reason this hasn't been changed since we moved in last year is because we can't move it! At the time I thought it was a nice bonus having this tv as part of the house sale"

We got a good laugh at that.

TV is still there.

pants

Nintendo won't fix it though. People wanted Nintendo to go HD, so it is and it doesn't plan on focusing on the past beyond phoned in legacy support. Hence surround being tied to HDMI only, hence no ethernet port, hence hiding BC behind a wall in the system, etc.

People consider ethernet ports legacy?

Binabik15

Do 4:3 SDTVs still exist?

Weren't complaints about the Wii's horrible look on hd tv usually answered with "Play on a CRT, it's better!" and the Wii's crappy resolution excused with "Not everyone has a hd tv!". Yes, yes they were.

Now people are out or blood about people on old tvs. Cool.

I got a 42inch 1080p LG tv for way under £300, can I ask how much SD-TV using people are waiting to pay REALISTICALLY for a decent HD-TV?

The irony of the Wii being SD and then the Wii-U then alienating all SD users is still amusing though.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
First they were behind the times with no HD support, now they're too far in front of the times with crappy SD support!

WHEN WILL YOU LEARN LOLTENDO!?

But seriously, who has a 4:3 TV anymore? You can get a little HDTV for less than a Wii U these days anyway.

I have two well-working SDtvs, why would I replace them with an HDtv? they are doing their jobs just fine, I don't see the point in replacing them before they die.

Has nothing to do with 4:3 at all, the Wii U has no problems with 4:3 TV's. It's overscan, which happens a lot more on old non-flat CRT TV's than modern LCD TV's, because you aren't seeing the actual edge of the screen, the screen disappears under the TV's frame, and it's the part that's under the frame where the images you see as cut-off are appearing.

The problem is with the games, not with the Wii-U - the games either need to move important HUD elements to where they should be safe from overscan, or need to have an overscan option that scales the entire image (making it look worse), like you can do in Miiverse and a couple other apps.

So, if I don't have overscan issues with any console (360, Wii, GCN, N64, PS2, DC, SNES, NES, Mega Drive) I should be fine here, too?

@Poster above me: I'm not waiting for a price, I could well afford an HDtv, I just don't wan't to waste my well-working tv without gaining a thing.

Jay Sosa

I have two well-working SDtvs, why would I replace them with an HDtv? they are doing their jobs just fine, I don't see the point in replacing them before they die.

cause it's like owning a ferrari and driving it only in first gear?

sakipon

I got a 42inch 1080p LG tv for way under £300, can I ask how much SD-TV using people are waiting to pay REALISTICALLY for a decent HD-TV?

I don't think it's about the cost. I can afford to buy a better toaster or a coffee maker right this minute but do I really need it?

I don't think it's about the cost. I can afford to buy a better toaster or a coffee maker right this minute but do I really need it?

Well if you want to play modern video games you pretty much do need one.

You can only hold on to antiquated technology for so long before you're rightfully left behind.

Oh I just love how you call others out without adding anything to the thread at hand.

Lots of people going for lame dogpiling on an oversimplified version of the topic. "WHY MY XBOX NO PLAY HALO 4?" Oh, you kings of comedy.

A week ago, there was no HD Nintendo console. Full support of 4:3 resolution, even if some content was letterboxed. A brand new console, and it's understandable if they're designing primarily for HD now (preferable, even), but did they state on the packaging a 16:9 HDTV was a requirement to function properly? It's possible they have, since I don't have a Wii U I can't verify for certain.

But if they haven't, and this is their first console generation even supporting true 16:9 resolution (and not anamorphic), they either need to properly support legacy buyers for this console generation, or state clearly that they aren't going to support them. Both are viable options.

Yes, I have a nice 16:9 HDTV I'm very happy with. I just don't think it's appropriate to be a dick to the OP for getting home and plugging in his console, only then to find out Nintendo half-assed 4:3 support, something the 360 and PS3 handle just fine.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

The irony of the Wii being SD and then the Wii-U then alienating all SD users is still amusing though.

It is not just the need for some users to change TV, but the need to change the Audio set-up too because Nintendo wanted to save a few pennies, but beside that... Wii VC games like NES and SNES games do look awful on even 21'' LCD TV's and since it is Nintendo that is not giving us the option to play them on the GamePad where they would look more than decent enough, I am kind of pissed about the bad support for SDTV's.

Top Bottom