• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Wii U" section of Wal-Mart Changed to "Nintendo"?

The Pikachu render has been bugging me. I can't seem to find it either.

Maybe we can Beetlejuice Serebii in here. That's actually pretty fascinating if it's an all new render. We haven't got one since Smash, and Pokemon has kind of been the black sheep recently, especially with amiibo.

I'd go tinfoil had mode and say its for a new game, but it could just be that they wanted a new one for promo stuff. And it's definitely not the Pokken one which would ideally be the best one to use. (although that Pikachu has the Kirby angry face so)

Zalman

Maybe we can Beetlejuice Serebii in here. That's actually pretty fascinating if it's an all new render. We haven't got one since Smash, and Pokemon has kind of been the black sheep recently, especially with amiibo.

I'd go tinfoil had mode and say its for a new game, but it could just be that they wanted a new one for promo stuff. And it's definitely not the Pokken one which would ideally be the best one to use. (although that Pikachu has the Kirby angry face so)
I remember they used a Fox render for the amiibo promo material we couldn't pinpoint either. I haven't seen it in a while, but I don't think that ended up being anything from Star Fox Zero.

TI82

Banned
That pikachu reminds me a little of this one from Pokken!

pikachu.png

Tygamr

The Target by me did basically the same thing. They cut the Wii U and 3DS aisles in half to merge them into one. It looked like they were trying to make space for some big Lego Dimensions displays, and the other figurine games.

Looking at that Gamestop picture really strikes me how those stores haven't changed at all - it's like looking at an Electronics Boutique. Even Babbage's had a nicer feel.

A complete overhaul for their store design/layout probably wouldn't hurt.

Aroll

This is a new marketing initiative for Nintendo. Its hitting all across retail.

New coloring is red instead of blue and labeled simply Nintendo instead of Wii U / 3DS

Make of that what you will

Yup. Even my friends at my local GameStop told me their just waiting on the new banners from Nintendo and they too are making the switch.

Nintendo are clearly the ones spearheading this marketing change. Going back to the Red logo probably means a more "red theme" for their next hardware. Beyond that, this could mark a naming convention shift as well. NX itself could have arguably marked that in code speak (Nintendo X), but reality is I think they are going back to the Nintendo branding. No more Wii, or other names like that - we'll go back to owning Nintendo's.

Honestly, it's a pretty smart move. Nintendo as a company is still really well known. Making that company a true "brand" again is going to do well for them. It works in so many other markets too (do you own the new Nikes?). Etc.

Good on them.

Neff

Going back to the red logo (assuming they are) is quite a big deal. They had big reasons for changing it to grey in the first place, that being doubling down hard on the broad, lifestyle-y image they'd started to cultivate during the DS Lite/Wii era. Going back to the impactful and iconic red after spending 7 years flirting with the style-conscious, Apple-esque grey is a potentially significant indicator as to where they're going as a company.

Also it can't be stressed enough how effective it is having a company mascot the same colour as your logo.

Going back to the red logo (assuming they are) is quite a big deal. They had big reasons for changing it to grey in the first place, that being doubling down hard on the broad, lifestyle-y image they'd started to cultivate during the DS Lite/Wii era. Going back to the impactful and iconic red after spending 7 years flirting with the style-conscious, Apple-esque grey is a potentially significant indicator as to where they're going as a company.

Also it can't be stressed enough how effective it is having a company mascot the same colour as your logo.
Right?! This is so exciting, if only because it harkens back to the GameCube era of Nintendo, which is my favorite.

Zalman

I don't want to read too much into this because it likely doesn't mean anything, but I would love if they went back to red. Not necessarily the logo - the logo is fine, but it looks amazing with a red background like that.

LDAF

Yeah, like a lot of others are saying, seeing the red again is refreshing. I never had much of a problem with the gray, but the addition of color again helps the branding stick out more.

The site I got it from says its for Mario's anniversary which wouldn't make too much sense since both Link and Pikachu are included
Better resolution pic
retailers_classic_red_nintendo_logo_banners_1.jpg

Mory Dunz

I'm guessing the next console will have Nintendo in the name.

In the name name I mean.
i. e. something like Nintendo U.

Wow, that's definitely a new render. Twilight Princes Link promo art in HD. Exciting stuff!

How can you specifically tell it's TP link?
As opposed to like Ocarina of Time? If we could see if he had chainmail or not, we'd know.

Unless you just meant TP Link as in "Not Skyward Sword or Toon"

This reminds me of how I recently stumbled across a Wal-Mart in the middle of nowhere Louisiana that still had Game Boy Advance signage up.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
I tried giving NoA a call about this alleged red logo, but I just got directed to customer service which of course couldn't help. :p

I greatly doubt they will be changing back to red for the logo however. Gray is much easier to work with, internally and externally.

Zalman

Rösti;179841043 said:
I tried giving NoA a call about this alleged red logo, but I just got directed to customer service which of course couldn't help. :p

I greatly doubt they will be changing back to red for the logo however. Gray is much easier to work with, internally and externally.
What intrigues me is the red theme, not the logo itself. It looks really good this way.

Wow, that's definitely a new render. Twilight Princes Link promo art in HD. Exciting stuff!
Ah, maybe it is for TP HD. Would be a bit random for it to drop out of nowhere, but might make more sense than Zelda U art.
WWHD promotional art was randomly shown in some experience show

Mory Dunz

All their consoles have Nintendo at the front haha.

Yeah, I know...
That's why I gave the example if it wasn't clear.

Ah, maybe it is for TP HD. Would be a bit random for it to drop out of nowhere, but might make more sense than Zelda U art.

Well, TP Link has been the go-to in general advertising for some time now depsite SS existing. So I wouldn't say it's indicative of anything.

AdanVC

I'm guessing the next console will have Nintendo in the name.

In the name name I mean.
i. e. something like Nintendo U.

How can you specifically tell it's TP link?
As opposed to like Ocarina of Time? If we could see if he had chainmail or not, we'd know.

Unless you just meant TP Link as in "Not Skyward Sword or Toon"

I found the gesture of Link on the sign to be really similar to this promo art of Link in TP:

kirby_fox

Banned
I swear I've seen that Walmart sign in a store over a year ago. Thought it was just an old sign they never took down, because it's exactly what I expected from my local Walmart electronics. Guess it could be both!

The GameStop banners however look new.

Considering Nintendo attempted to become Apple-esque in their marketing (which harked back to the NES attempting to be a VHS) moving back to a character focus is way more likely especially with amiibo.

Which I just realized...amiibo is an interesting marketing strategy. Creating interactive toys for children, who will learn who the characters are by doing so, could potentially increase their appeal and garner both game and console sales. Changing to a more colorful approach will appeal again to children and families as well as lifelong Nintendo fans.

So I'm partially expecting a Splatoon anime in my head now, because it'd be a perfect way to use a new IP.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
They haven't changed the typography however. It's still Avenir/Avenir Next in several weights.

Added: The text which says "New Games", "New Release" and "Accessories", not the typography of the logo.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
I don't want Nintendo to change their logo's typeset. It'd be AWFUL.
I didn't mean the typography of the logo, I meant the text which says "New Games", "New Release" and "Accessories". Should have clarified that.

AdanVC

Twilight Princess Remake incoming!???

oh ok. I was talking more about his clothes than the pose.

But...if he's not holding the sword, what's he holding?

Fire Rod confirmed Zelda UNX

Yes omg. So intrigued with this now haha. Wish we could see the full render of Link on that sign...

Thats neither TP or SS Link it looks like a mixture of both of them. Damn, he looks good there...

He looks really good indeed. Maybe is a render for Zelda U and they made some new renders for generic advertising as well?

The site I got it from says its for Mario's anniversary which wouldn't make too much sense since both Link and Pikachu are included
Better resolution pic
retailers_classic_red_nintendo_logo_banners_1.jpg
And it doesn't say Mario or anything lol. It's actually the opposite of Mario's cap (white text on red), when it was closer to Mario before lol

Top Bottom