• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U US November Sales Estimated at 149K by Pachter

Status
Not open for further replies.
this will be the first Nintendo system to be killed prematurely.

Virtual Boy.

But I don't even think they will do that. They will have no choice but to keep supporting the thing as they work toward their next device, be it new console or console/handheld hybrid. They may (should) drop the gamepad and the price and re-brand and re-market to distance themselves from the name Wii. But they will keep supporting for now. They have no other choice, IMO.

Also, a few people have mentioned third parties. Folks, Nintendo lost the full support of most of them during the N64 era and has never gotten them back. I don't really consider this a new development.

EDIT - Reading through, there's obviously a contingent of people on GAF that are very gleeful about this state of affairs and some even seem downright angry at Nintendo. I can't imagine anyone from the MS/Sony/PC fanboy camp feels remotely threatened by the Wii U so I am curious as to the psychological motivation for some of that is, aside from the hope of 3rd part ports to their platform of choice.

Majmun

If the <200k number is true then RIP Wii U

149k is like a normal month for Ps360. Selling that much over november is pathetic

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Wasn't it Pachter who predicted the Wii U sales in September would be 55k when it ended up being 90k? If so, does anyone have a link?

Crisco

Banned
Anyone could of seen this coming the moment the Gamepad flopped as a draw to the casual market. You can't catch lightning in a bottle twice. At the end of the day, it's a poorly spec'd console with a weak library at an unattractive price. This is exactly what should happen to it. Nintendo will survive, but the Wii U is dead.

Log4Girlz

I'm just sayin' Log! If the number was 150k in November, what hope is left? That just would represent a catatonic level of interest for your product, that people are just over whatever you have to offer for it. I mean, we already had a New! Super Mario Bros. game and a damn good 3D Mario Bros. game, and a DLC New Luigi Bros game, and not a single one of them made even the slightest dent in Wii U's fortunes. I don't know what else Nintendo could pull out of their hat since Mario Kart and Smash Bros. aren't going to have better odds at changing things than NSMB.

*clears throat* "I think its stupid that people are writing off the system because of a poor holiday when Nintendo hasn't even released its mega hits like Mario Kart, Smash Bros., Zelda, Bayonetta 2, Fucking Donkey Kong, and Steel Diver 2: Electric Boogaloo. I'm tired of the stupid, short-sighted, biased opinions against Nintendo. If you would for a moment not buy into the conspiracy against Nintendo perpetrated by third parties, you would see it has an incredibly bright future ahead of it. Its just so stupid".

R0ckman

wiiu-dies-in-the-swam2iktf.gif

This capture brilliantly whats going on. Particularly how it portrays the fans that just want Nintendo to survive and not adapt.

fanduck

I can only imagine how much of a fortune Nintendo would make selling their games on other consoles. The classic games alone would probably be a never ending money printing machine.

People are giving too much attention to Pachter guesses.

Let's wait NPD november to discuss based on real numbers.

Let's wait NPD november to discuss based on real numbers.

discuss based on real numbers

real numbers

real numbers

OH MY SIDES.

To make this slightly more relevant: I honestly can't imagine the Wii U selling THAT badly, especially given the surprising amount of good press I saw for the console and the bundles and whatnot. But if that IS how much it sold in November? Kill it and put it in a museum.

JoeM86

Yep. I don't think people need to be fired, but the company just needs some new blood in there to take control of the ship. Stop trying the same old fucking tried and tested things over and over again. Another NSMB will do jack all for your system bar sell to the crazy Nintendo crowd that is absolutely tiny these days. The Iwatas, Miyamotos and other stuck-in-the-mud senior people that are basically the gatekeepers of all game output at Nintendo need to either accept new ideas and move with the times or let people step in and try things they haven't done or done much of before.

Thankfully, they have been doing this. There has been a large reshuffle in the higher ups of Nintendo this recent year, and that'll start to be seen in decisions over the upcoming year and beyond.

In addition to that, they have been hiring a lot of new staff, plus they have their brand new R&D building for everything.

Really though, other than the marketing issues, and the online account issues (which only really matter to people here and other online communities. Most people are not aware of, nor care, about the issue) with the Wii U, I see Iwata is a decent CEO in my view. I mean hell, he has a policy on not laying people off (obviously firing people if they're absolutely crap). A new CEO would likely come in with huge layoffs to try and reach the desired bottomline, and that would destroy moral of the workers who remain and the layoffs would likely be noticed in their output.

That's perfectly understandable. I have personal connections to Nintendo, so their success / failure is quite important for me as well...while I'm a bitter realist online, I tend to get quite sentimental about them behind the scenes.

KBO as Churchill would say. Just have to hope for the best.

I can only imagine how much of a fortune Nintendo would make selling their games on other consoles. The classic games alone would probably be a never ending money printing machine.

And that's all it would be, fantasy.

I'm not saying it's likely. Honestly, if they can't get this thing on course here soon, there really is no good option. That's why I'm hesitant to make any suggestions. I'm certainly not in the hotseat calling the shots. I guess if I had to make a guess, I'd assume that they'd continue on with the Wii U with support that consists of the titles we already know of (i.e. we'll at least get through Zelda U), and that they'd start working on the next platform to unveil at E3 2015. That is, of course, assuming that the U is beyond salvage. I'm pretty pessimistic of its chances, but I'm not writing its obituary just yet.

That's the likely scenario. They can't move all their teams over to 3DS development without glutting the market, and the can't have them sitting idle for as long as it would take to get a new console to market, so they're going to keep them working on projects already in development. They're not going to cancel games that have already been green-lighted, and they may even start a few new projects just for a simple lack of any other available "work" for those teams to be doing.

The question is whether they try to push another home console or make a lateral movement. I'm on record several times as saying I think they need to do the latter. That doesn't necessarily mean third party - though it's certainly on the table - but it means that their "sea change" needs to be something far more significant than a controller gimmick this time around.

A wearable computing AR-gaming device (ala Google Glass)? A ground-up 3D console (ala Oculus Rift)? A Nintendo-brand Steam Machine that, outside of being the exclusive destination for Nintendo software, also works as a fully-functional SteamOS gaming device? I don't know the right answer - if I did, I hope I'd be getting paid a lot more than I am - but I do know it's absolute folly for them to return to market with another hunk of plastic that sits under your TV and only plays Nintendo games.

Hah I got my dreamcast in 2000. told my mom it was tanking an we jumped ship over Xmas 2001.

In the last-last gen, I had a Gamecube and Xbox (and occasioanly a PS2). I would actually buy most third party games for the Gamecube even if they were a little better on PS2 or Xbox because I still wanted to play games on it. :(

i love my wii u, pikmin3 is great and so is 3dworld.
Neogaf will call me crazy, but i hope the wii u fails, they deserve to fail this time.
Maybe this is what it will take for a shake up at nintendo, i'm a huge fan but they need it.
I hope that the developers that made new super mario bros u are taken somewhere and buried deep down in to the earth.
That game showed almost no effort from nintendo, almost as if they were laughing whilst making it, thinking they could get away with another sloppy effort and rake in the money. Just taking the wii games horrible art assets and upping the resolution. for that game alone, the wii u deserves to fail.If i see another 'new' game announced with the same disgusting art then whatever happens to nintendo is their own fault.

This is just sad.

Why is Nintendo NOT announcing Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 Remakes and Skyland HD version.
Don't know what the latter is, but yes, that's exactly what Nintendo needs...more remakes! Let's squeeze the last bit if money we can from those crazy fans that will buy anything we release! This is how to make your core fanbase smaller and smaller as each generation passes. Basically do the most minimum amount of work you can.

ascii42

At what point will we know the actual numbers from NPD?

They come out this Thursday, but we only sometimes get the actual numbers. Frequently we have to make do with ranges or have to work it out using math based on percentages.

Amir0x

Banned
*clears throat* "I think its stupid that people are writing off the system because of a poor holiday when Nintendo hasn't even released its mega hits like Mario Kart, Smash Bros., Zelda, Bayonetta 2, Fucking Donkey Kong, and Steel Diver 2: Electric Boogaloo. I'm tired of the stupid, short-sighted, biased opinions against Nintendo. If you would for a moment not buy into the conspiracy against Nintendo perpetrated by third parties, you would see it has an incredibly bright future ahead of it. Its just so stupid".

you put that in quotes! Who said that lol

or are you miming the potential predictable future response from a hardened Nintendo fan? :p

Log4Girlz

Neogaf will call me crazy, but i hope the wii u fails, they deserve to fail this time.
Maybe this is what it will take for a shake up at nintendo, i'm a huge fan but they need it.
I hope that the developers that made new super mario bros u are taken somewhere and buried deep down in to the earth.
That game showed almost no effort from nintendo, almost as if they were laughing whilst making it, thinking they could get away with another sloppy effort and rake in the money, just taking the wii games horrible art assets and upping the resolution. for that game alone, the wii u deserves to fail.If i see another 'new' game announced with the same disgusting art then whatever happens to nintendo is their own fault.

Though I don't want anyone to fail, except Justin Beiber, I can't imagine ever getting the kind of console I want from Nintendo unless they just tank spectacularly, repeatedly.

*dreams of advanced console with enthusiastic third party support, a slew of western games AND Nintendo IP's*

I predict 250k for November which would be 5x greater than October. For December, the Wii U could sell 500k or so. Nintendo just needs to show strong support for the console in early 2014 like they are already planning. Doesn't matter how dead you guys keep declaring the Wii U, Nintendo will support this console for years to come. Might as well accept this fact and just buy one, the system has great games worth owning.

JoeM86

That game showed almost no effort from nintendo, almost as if they were laughing whilst making it, thinking they could get away with another sloppy effort and rake in the money, just taking the wii games horrible art assets and upping the resolution. for that game alone, the wii u deserves to fail.If i see another 'new' game announced with the same disgusting art then whatever happens to nintendo is their own fault.

Now now, aesthetics aside, New Super Mario Bros U is, in my view (Nintendo gamer since '89), the best 2D Mario to have come. It's not a sloppy effort at all.

I predict 250k for November which would be 5x greater than November. For December, the Wii U could sell 500k or so. Nintendo just needs to show strong support for the console in early 2014 like they are already planning. Doesn't matter how dead you guys keep declaring the Wii U, Nintendo will support this console for years to come. Might as well accept this fact and just buy one, the system has great games worth owning.

Post-NPD Direct? Would be nice. Show the big guns coming in the first six months, try and make sure they stick to that, and hopefully it'll be worth it.

hachi

Banned
Hardware down 65%.... it's possible he means that Nintendo's overall hardware sales are down that much year over year, and last November's Wii + Wii U number was well over 800k, so that'd be slightly better but not by much (perhaps 300 instead of 150). But who knows what he was looking at.

My console is macabre and dying a slow painful death, made by a company that abuses it like a drunken mother, yet here I am having fun on it like I'm dancing around it's freshly dug grave and open casket. So fucking Metal.

Shame. The WiiU is a really good console. It hasn't been helped by poor marketing and the most annoying of things:
Third party games being PORTED by a a different studio making the game!!!

It may end before it should but Im keeping my WiiU. Ut could be classed as the next Dreamcast. Not a lot sold, it bombed but there are so many good games for it.

Parody? Or Nintendo acolyte from the future?

Meier

That'd be terribly sad if true. I'm pretty shocked that Nintendo didn't announce any sort of Black Friday/Thanksgiving week numbers that I noticed. That's not at all in line with historical practices, which is a little scary.

Taker666

Few things offer sudden fixes. In life, you have to take things a step at a time. Firing Iwata is a very good first step.

The thing is ...although Iwata is in charge of the worst selling console currently on the market...he's also in charge of the best selling console currently on the market.

If Nintendo are going to fire Iwata based on Wii U sales.. then Sony should fire Kaz based on Vita sales.

antonz

I have a hard time believing Wii U could sell over 90k in September than during the busiest sales season where according to most the Wii U was selling pretty briskly that they only managed to move an extra 50-60k units.

Just for reference. Pachter estimated around 54k sales for the WiiU in September versus the 91-92K

Except they really aren't. Sony was making a loss on PS3, and they are going to continue to make a loss on PS4. PSVita is performing as poorly as Wii U. There's the difference. Nintendo's strong market is actually profitable.

We've yet to see 2DS sales, which will undoubtedly catapult their already strong market even further, let alone the holiday Pokemon sales.

They are making way way smaller loss with each PS4 sold compared to what they did with PS3 (something like 40$ vs 240$). As average early adopter probably buys at least two games with the system (not to mention PS+ requirement) PS4 ecosystem is probably already making positive cash flow (we will see when we get next quarter reports). Then you have of course still very healthy PS3 that makes tons of money trough still high software sales and nowadays even hardware is probably having high margins. Vita is of course struggling but unlike Nintendo Sony has two systems to make up for it (PS3 and PS4 vs 3DS). WiiU is also probably losing way more money than Vita as Nintendo has made operating losses for two straight financial years despite the good 3DS sales. Not to mention like I said the outlook for Sony is a lot brighter in video game market than for Nintendo as future of home consoles is looking to be a lot brigther than the future of handhelds.

kinggroin

Banned
I am increasingly believing that is the case, but I was saying that such numbers (if they were true) must be bad enough to convince even the most hardened Nintendo fan that there is no hope for Wii U. That's tipping point type numbers. I don't think it's possible to articulate just how bad such numbers would be, there'd be no way to exaggerate the catastrophe from a sales standpoint.

I have all the confidence in your ability to do so.

Oh snap

I just ordered this f***** thing a week ago for Christmas, I'll be so pissed off if I just wasted over $300 on this only for Nintendo to just give up on it. If they drop this thing next year, I'll never buy another Nintendo console again. I'm not giving them another chance, they've made so many f*** ups over the past 7 years that I honestly don't know why I keep supporting them.

Log4Girlz

The thing is ...although Iwata is in charge of the worst selling console currently on the market...he's also in charge of the best selling console currently on the market.

If Nintendo are going to fire Iwata based on Wii U sales.. then Sony should fire Kaz based on Vita sales.

Maybe Steve Ballmer can run Sony. Oh wait, he was fired from MS for a reason. Something to do with record profits and stock price.

R0ckman

The real issue is that while Nintendo dragged it's feet on offering certain features the other had earlier, it seems that when they decided they were going to do it, they started development too late. So, the features come out barely working, flawed and not on parity with the competition. It'd be fine if they waited for HD and then went "BAM" out the gate. It'd be fine if they were slow on their eShop and then "BAM" titles left right and centre, single accounts not tied to machines etc etc. But no, they wait, wait, wait, resist, wait some more then go "Ok, let's do something but make sure you do the least possible and keep control as much as you can. Do NOT give consumers what they've been asking for, give them what we think they should have."

THIS! OH MY GOD THIS! This is the weakness of Nintendo and has been for years. I'm glad I'm not the only one saying this. This is a shitty outdated marketing strategy.

That game showed almost no effort from nintendo, almost as if they were laughing whilst making it, thinking they could get away with another sloppy effort and rake in the money. Just taking the wii games horrible art assets and upping the resolution. for that game alone, the wii u deserves to fail.If i see another 'new' game announced with the same disgusting art then whatever happens to nintendo is their own fault.

aside of the lazy presentation, NSMBU is the best game of that series(and a really good plataformer), the Luigi DLC is even BETTER, so I don't get the hate.

I just ordered this f***** thing a week ago for Christmas, I'll be so pissed off if I just wasted over $300 on this only for Nintendo to just give up on it. If they drop this thing next year, I'll never buy another Nintendo console again. I'm not giving them another chance, they've made so many f*** ups over the past 7 years that I honestly don't know why I keep supporting them.

Don't worry, GAF is just going crazy, Nintendo won't drop the console.... also don't sensor your fucks, it's silly.

Hardware down 65%.... it's possible he means that Nintendo's overall hardware sales are down that much year over year, and last November's Wii + Wii U number was well over 800k, so that'd be slightly better but not by much (perhaps 300 instead of 150). But who knows what he was looking at.

A system selling less in it's 2nd November than it did in it's first is bad across the board. It shows a complete lack of interest or mass market appeal, and also shows that Nintendo has pretty much done jack shit in the last 12 months. Even if the Wii U number is really 200K or 300K, that's still fucking awful.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
This capture brilliantly whats going on. Particularly how it portrays the fans that just want Nintendo to survive and not adapt.

What do you mean by "adapt"?

If they do the same thing the competition is doing they'll still fail. Heck, it IS doing too much of what the competition does which is at fault here, they need to get back in touch with their disruptive nature. They need to provide a job and be innovative in a way that is truly appealing;

JoeM86

Trust me, they won't drop it until the end of 2015 at the absolute earliest, and that's their worst case scenario. Don't worry, and enjoy your console :)

Though I don't want anyone to fail, except Justin Beiber, I can't imagine ever getting the kind of console I want from Nintendo unless they just tank spectacularly, repeatedly.

*dreams of advanced console with enthusiastic third party support, a slew of western games AND Nintendo IP's*

They would just leave the industry if they tanked spectacularly repeatedly.

Log4Girlz

It would be a real stab in the back, a wound that will not heal.

The system is dead and is beyond the brink. 3rd party support was hardly there for the Wii and will neeeeeeeever be there for the WiiU.

There is no saving it because the public has rejected the gamepad as something they are willing to pay for.

It is relegated to Nintendo-player status.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
nintendo should just start working on a new console, wii U is a total flop and there's no saving it. 2014 is probably the last year it gets any 3rd party support.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom