• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U US November Sales Estimated at 149K by Pachter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder how many they've manufactured so far, they originally hoped to sell 5.5m before last April, I'd expect that they made that many at least, but maybe haven't built any since? :/
The basic pack stock they bought back from retailers will have been refurbished into 32gb versions of course.

JoeM86

Please, humor me with the specifics of the cost-benefit analysis of the discounted cash flow consequences of not discontinuing the Wii U.

Ok, I haven't gone that far, but come on. Do you honestly see them logically making the decision to drop it, with nothing to replace it?

DrWong

Thats a very accurate record he has there for WiiU.

it's actually more accurate than it looks. The problem with WiiU is that no one thought the launch was as frontloaded as it was. December is WAY off because of this, and so is january...but recall that january had a horrific number of returns. without them january would have been closer to 100k or so.

outside of that, his predictions for the system have been pretty damn accurate.

Only accurate when the numbers were super low, around 30K, a few months ago. For the bigger months he's off by 5 to 100%, over and under, depending the month.

erawsd

Thats a very accurate record he has there for WiiU.

Thing is, his predictions don't need to be dead accurate, just accurate enough to fit whatever he's telling his clients. The Wii U selling 50k or 75k doesn't change the story. December, Jan, and Sept are the only months I'd say he was too far off the mark.

Not really.

His predictions are way off in months that Wii U sold better (except november 2012 but that's was easy to predict because of Nintendo press release).

you have it backwards. the months he was way off were the ones where HE over-predicted wiiU success and nintendo ended up underperforming.

the only month where nintendo did much better than his forecast was september 2012, the month of the price cut and wind waker bundle.

trixx

Damn i bought a dead console.

Seriously what the hell is going to happen, this thing is DED dead if the numbersare accurate of course

liger05

Pachter Predictions for Wii U in Comparison to NPD:

November 2012:
450K prediction -> 425K reality
25K over-predicted (-5.55%)

December 2012:
675K prediction -> 463K reality
212K over-predicted (-31.41%)

January 2013:
125K prediction -> 57K reality
68K over-predicted (-54.40%)

February 2013:
80K prediction -> 66K reality
14K over-predicted (-17.50%)

March 2013:
55K prediction -> 68K reality
13K under-predicted (23.63%)

April 2013:
55K prediction -> 37K reality
18K over-predicted (-32.72%)

May 2013:
32K prediction -> 33K reality
1K under-predicted (3.13%)

June 2013:
38K prediction -> 42K reality
4K under-predicted (10.53%)

July 2013:
30K prediction -> 29K reality
1K over-predicted (-3.33%)

August 2013:
30K prediction -> 31K reality
1K under-predicted (3.33%)

September 2013:
55K prediction -> 95K reality
40K under-predicted (72.72%)

October 2013:
75K prediction -> 50K reality
25K over-predicted (-33.33%)

November 2013:
150K prediction

No anti Wii U agenda as some seem to think. His gone too high plenty occasions.

R0ckman

It's the " I don't like it so I hope it fails miserably" mentality. Some people tend to hate things they don't personally like, and many simply are not interested in Nintendo.

I have never understood this mentality. If I don't like something, I try to be indifferent, why oppose it because others like it and I don't? Seems close-minded.

Anyway, I do think it is time to be realistic about the Wii U failing but I'm certainly not happy about it.

Burned Ex-Nintendo fans. MANY Nintendo bashers have explained their views in detailed posts. But they quickly get buried by damage control from fanatics.

ascii42

Thing is, his predictions don't need to be dead accurate, just accurate enough to fit whatever he's telling his clients. The Wii U selling 50k or 75k doesn't change the story. December, Jan, and Sept are the only months I'd say he was too far off the mark.

And in the case of January, the numbers were affected by returns. So he was probably a good bit closer than it appears that month.

Well it's more really based on this industry and how it works. For Nintendo to drop the Wii U, it would cause serious issues. It's not like Samsung with a TV where one of their models sucks so they just drop it and bring another one out, this would be dropping your only home console with nothing to replace it.

You seem to believe that Nintendo exists in a vacuum, free from market forces.

What if retailers continue to shrink the floor space allotted to the system, or even begin clearing it out? What if stockholders demand change? How many quarterly projections do you think a company can miss before change simply has to be made?

Polari

I'm actually kind of bummed. If it had been a Gamecube-sized failure I would have bitten sooner or later. Can't imagine even Nintendo supporting it for much longer with these numbers.

leroidys

So it's Pachter, but... taking those numbers at face value, I am actually able to start seeing the doomsday scenario for Wii U that nintendo just drops support. It's got the sales of Vita, the dev costs of PS3/360, and the attach-rate of ... well... the Wii U.

Log4Girlz

I'm actually kind of bummed. If it had been a Gamecube-sized failure I would have bitten sooner or later. Can't imagine even Nintendo supporting it for much longer with these numbers.

Its a much bigger failure than Gamecube just based on the dramatically increased costs of doing business in the HD console market.

I don't think there's an agenda here, I just think he's wrong.

He's not trying to predict exact numbers. He's not pretending to be a psychic. His job is to give estimates that investors can make decisions on. It's not like he is saying 149K and then it turns out the system sells 800K to 1M. Then he'd be dead wrong. If he guesses 149K and the system sells 220K, that's still godawful and whatever advice investors might have taken from that guess is still valid.

One thing I provided as a possible reason that could have contributed, and yet people attribute that statement to me allegedly saying that it was the sole reason.
There was no "possibly" though, it was one of two explanations given, and specifically said to have had an impact, and all factors (including those 2) need to be considered.

And even if you were putting it as a possible reason, it's still a kind of ridiculous thing to even bring up, because how could one know that had an impact, and how would you even quantify it?

JoeM86

You seem to believe that Nintendo exists in a vacuum, free from market forces.

What if retailers continue to shrink the floor space allotted to the system, or even begin clearing it out? What if stockholders demand change? How many quarterly projections do you think a company can miss before change simply has to be made?

There's change, which I agree should occur such A rebranding akin to the PS3's, perhaps with a new model and something to actually get it in people's heads (so many still don't even know the Wii U exists), and then there's just dropping it which won't happen.

Ranger X

wiiu-dies-in-the-swam2iktf.gif

Shit, I laughed at cried at the same time. My brain is all mixed up.

Nintyb

Banned
I think it might be over for the Wii U. A shame. It's not a bad system. Hopefully we get a decent amount of quality first party releases next year before they pull the plug.

Some Nobody

I sadly agree. The Wii was a fluke, because it tapped into a new and booming market/demographic (casual gaming), and that market has entirely moved over to tablets/phones + social media games. It's not like their consoles prior to that were doing great either.

So if this is Nintendo getting back to normal (where Gamecube left off), and this is actually doing worse. Fuck.

The thing is...when you say "normal", it implies that Nintendo was a failing company with the N64 and GameCube. Except the N64 sold 33 million WW sales, which looks pathetic compared to Sony's 102 million WW...but actually pretty damned good compared to Sega's 9 million. The "awful" GameCube sales consist of a system basically only doing 21 million worldwide, so in comparison to Sony's monstrous 155 million sales for the PS2, Nintendo should've died that gen. But then Microsoft's XBox only beat Nintendo's system by a mere 3 million consoles, ending with 24 million consoles sold worldwide.

The reality is: Sony's ridiculous sales were always an outlier compared to their competitors. It was only with this seventh generation that there were no "clear losers", as all three console developers exceeded 75 million consoles sold worldwide.

Is the Wii U a miserable failure? Yep. But here's the thing: Nintendo's still profitable. Meanwhile several times it's been brought up that Microsoft has considered cutting the XBox brand (which has only now started to turn a profit) loose. And Sony? The only good news comes from the video game division; Sony articles that don't center around the word "Playstation" tend to be rather dark.

Either way, people thinking Nintendo will cut their losses with the Wii U this early are kidding themselves. But if you're one of the people who think the Wii3 will probably make an appearance at E3 2016 (for a release that holiday), well....I'd say the chances of you being right are increasing by the day.

aesthetics aside?
are you joking? video games are a visual medium, and for me the artwork is crucial.
I've been playing mario for as long as you, since '86 and whilst mario u might still play flawlessly in terms of gameplay, my eyes feel like they are crying, crying from the knowledge that at nintendo they have all these amazing artists yet they thought they could get away with not one, two or even three mario games with disgusting art, but also a forth and this time in high definition just to make that horrible, boring art just that little bit clearer.

Mario u is sloppy at best, they have already perfected 2d mario gameplay, so when developing a new 2d mario game they should be spending a little more time on the artwork, and generating 'new' creative ideas.

The hate stems from exactly what you agreed about, lazy presentation. when making a 2d mario game, nintendo already has perfected the formula.
So we should be seeing more time spent on new gorgeous artwork, new creative ideas. I'm angry because i know that nintendo could do it, but they decided that for 4 games in a row they would keep using the same hideous artwork with hardly any new creative ideas. Just compare the wealth of ideas from the galaxy series
to the 'new' series, it's a piss poor effort and i hope that nintendo pays for being so lazy.

I understand how you feel, but every console will have a game we don't like, I'm not saying the Wii should have failed because Metroid: Other M was fucking awful.

leroidys

Be sure to pick one up on clearance at least... Pikmin 3, SM3DW and W101 are some of the best games nintendo has ever made.

AColdDay

The data in this post seems relevant:

In honor of this historic month, I've compiled a full list of November (Black Friday) performances throughout the decades to compare performances to.

Sega:
Highest month: 259K (Dreamcast, November 2001)

Nintendo:
Lowest month: 272K (GameCube, November 2005)

The Wii U is trending lower LTD than both the GC and the Dreamcast (whose highest point is still incredibly low). This would suggest that the November numbers are most likely <300k.

If it sells only 149k in its 2nd November that'll be the end of times for Wii U me thinks. Dreamcast level bad for 2nd November

Damn, was the DC even that bad? And this is with Mario 3D World. If it turns out to be the case, the Wii U will be a great example of how NOT to brand your new system.

kinggroin

Banned
I mean it'd be hard for some folk to deal with, but there'd be pretty much no evidence more stark than a number even close to what Pachter is predicting. It would hardly even require a word from anyone; it would be the top tier apocalyptic scenario for Wii U, a true unprecedented low month (for a November) for a major console. I can't even think of a way to make it sound worse than it would be, short of it selling 0-148k units

Agreed, thoroughly.

He'll, even before these numbers, we are kind of standing on the edge of a precipice no?

URGH... Are some people on here STILL preaching this 'worse than GameCube' line of deception!?

First, the Dreamcast was out in North America well after it had been on shelves in Japan. In turn, by the time that it launched, it had more games in its library. You can also see that it had a lower point of entry to ownership than the Wii U. The Dreamcast was the first 6th Generation home console to launch.

You can see very clearly in that graph that the GameCube also had a lower point of entry than the Wii U. The GameCube was the third 6th Generation home console to launch. When both price cuts came into play, their prices are HALF of what the Wii U is now, and that was in a better economic climate.

Skeleton Statistics won't cut it here (that is, simply quoting numbers without flesh/substance). To understand WHY the GameCube is doing better at this point, I'll leave this below:

Angel Whispers said:
Super Smash Bros. Melee, Pikmin, Animal Crossing, Wave Race: Blue Storm, Super Mario Sunshine, Metroid Prime, Eternal Darkness, LOZ: Wind Waker (in Japan), Starfox Adventures, Mario Party 4, Rogue Squadron 2, NBA Courtside 2002 are some of the exclusives that were released in the GameCube's first year. I could list titles from 2003, if you lived in Europe or Australia, with F-Zero GX, Kirby's Air Ride, Mario Party 5, Mario Kart: Double Dash! among the notable first party titles from that year, and Billy Hatcher & The Giant Egg (console exclusive), Rogue Squadron 3, PN03, and before it was ported elsewhere, Viewtiful Joe among the notable ones from other parties. They existed next to port jobs and better support from publishers such as Electronic Arts, but you can see very clearly that it had played a lot more of its cards of the time within its first full year - The Wii U can not say that at this stage, and I would put it to you that without the most popular ones by the end of 2003, the GameCube would've fared much worse than the Wii U at a similar point in its lifecycle. You need to understand where Nintendo had been when they were at that point, and just how dominant the PS2 was in that era. One can not say "but these IPs were there" on its own, because it doesn't take into account what preceded it, other events happening, or the reception of those IPs. It does not take into account the re-assessment, how the Wii was realised, and the growth that Nintendo IPs have seen since then. It's also rather moronic to say "just because it happened before..." in one breath, then cite GameCube levels (i.e., the same 'history' which you're disregarding when successes are mentioned) in the next breath.

I went into details about the growth of Nintendo IPs since the GameCube era in that post, but I feel that the above can cast some light on why the GameCube is faring better at a similar point. My position is the same as it's always been - that it needs more of the games that people want, and the biggest selling games (Smash Bros., Mario Kart) aren't there yet; However, I am not in the business of predicting numbers. Super Mario 3D World will continue to do well - However, one must note that the Mario & Luigi Bundle is currently the most popular, and that NSMBU saw a rise, too. I would imagine that there are enough Mario platform games for people to play should they bite now, and would say that those who bought that bundle, and other prospective buyers will most probably buy Super Mario 3D World at some point - This is why they are considered as 'Evergreen'. They might also want to play other games on it, so that they don't suffer from a Mario overload (for want of a better expression) - You can see in threads on here, that some new owners bought Pikmin 3 or The Wonderful 101, for example, and that those waiting to bite are asking for recommendations. There is a sense that its tide is making a turn - More positivity in Wii U-related articles, and a brighter change with regard to perceptions. To reinforce those statements, you can see in the Media Create threads of the last fortnight that following the release of Super Mario 3D World, its numbers picked up, and in the second week, those numbers continued to elevate. There are differences between complete disinterest (which isn't the case here), waiting for the games that you want (which IS happening - some are waiting for Bayonetta 2, Monolith Soft's X, Smash Bros., Mario Kart 8, etc.), and waiting for the right time, whenever that may be, to bite (this could be when there are enough games that one wants to play to justify the purchase, or waiting for a $249 entry point, lots of possibilities here). It is important to differentiate between each, and I feel that time and time again, many fail to do this.

Also, Nintendo released a new LOZ game on the 3DS (According to Iwata, the 3DS is expected to lead Nintendo's drive for 2013-14), and Super Mario 3D World on the same day as the XBox One - that was 22nd November in North America. You had the PS4 launch a week before it, too. So, if we can agree that more or most people had bitten when SM3DWorld released, then one would have to look at what was achieved in the last nine days of that calendar month, and if the majority of units for November were sold in that time, it is actually rather remarkable for a console still with many cards to play, and in the face of two other console launches. I'm saying that a greater insight is needed here. I'm also saying that for a console with such cards available to it, it's in a better position than many on here think it is, and there is no reason for Nintendo to panic. They'll be fine. During its life, it can still hit a profitable $249 point of entry, then a profitable $199, and even a profitable point below that when it reaches its twilight years. It is worth noting that the PS360 consoles did not achieve a full recovery until 2011, some 5 and 6 years after their releases - So, writing off the Wii U at this point is not right or proper, in my opinion. I'm not in the business of predicting numbers. I'm not saying that it will rise to DS heights, and I'm not saying anything about 'winning' the 8th Generation, only that it is extremely misleading to say that it is doing worse than the GameCube, when it's very apparent that without its top cards, without notable support from other parties, and without a stronger marketing drive, it would've suffered a significantly worse fate at the same points.

Furthermore, Nintendo are a compassionate conservative company. They won't kill off the Wii U early, when they've just made a transition to HD game development to release a more powerful system, and potentially quadruple their development costs, which happened with first party studios on the PS4 at launch. They are in a position where a Wii U Fire Emblem game would be viable with sales of 700,000 units - that is profitable to a point of satisfactory return on investment, profitable, or, at worst, breaking even, all on a system showing noticeable steps. With this in mind, I suspect that they will stick with it for quite a while, because it's very much in their interests. Still, the GameCube didn't cease production after having played more of its cards, and it was there for over five years, so it is rotten, premature, fanboyist folly to declare 'death'. As for 'sold at a loss' - No. It has been known that one game makes the transaction profitable, and it won't be sold at a loss forever. Still, this loss is in the U.S. - $299 is NOT the same as &#8364;299, or in Britain, £249. They're in the business of making profits, so, where a loss is made, it is natural that they will raise that concern, as investors will want to make the greatest returns possible.

For more details on just how steep a decline would have to be to 'fail harder than the GameCube', I wrote this a while back. It's a lengthy post. Whatever. That's all that I'll write here.

Nintendo didn't have any good Black Friday deal, so I wouldn't expect much from that, it's also the most expensive console they've released, back marketing, and of course the same month the other 2 next gen consoles came out.

I expect it to sale like crap, but there's no way Nintendo is giving up on it. For better or worse, they are sticking to this console till the end. Next Year will be the real test for the Wii U imo, Mario Kart and Smash are the biggest hits the Wii U will ever have.

There's change, which I agree should occur such A rebranding akin to the PS3's, perhaps with a new model and something to actually get it in people's heads (so many still don't even know the Wii U exists), and then there's just dropping it which won't happen.

The Wii U situation is worse than the PS3's ever was though. The PS3s problem was the price. Once it dropped most figured that the sales would pick up. The rebranding just escalated that. Sony still had much greater mindshare with the target console audience and parity in terms of 3rd party support with the market leader. They also had the technological edge in terms of 1st party games that were seen as cutting edge at the time, like Uncharted, Killzone, God of War, ect...

Nintendo didn't have any good Black Friday deal, so I wouldn't expect much from that, it's also the most expensive console they've released, back marketing, and of course the same month the other 2 next gen consoles came out.

I expect it to sale like crap, but there's no way Nintendo is giving up on it. For better or worse, they are sticking to this console till the end. Next Year will be the real test for the Wii U imo, Mario Kart and Smash are the biggest hits the Wii U will ever have.

2014 Year of the Wii U!

Hopefully it sold better than this in reality.

I've got 2/3 next gen consoles and Wii U has better games, better controller, better Netflix, and better Amazon Instant Video right now, in my opinion.

Reggie seemed pretty cocky about numbers at VGX, but I guess we'll see.

Snakeyes

Hmm. Now that I think about it, salvaging the Wii U isn't as hard as it seems, if Nintendo stopped banking on a handful of blockbuster sequels to their legacy franchises to turn the system around. The most important thing right now is to get some positive momentum going for their next console.

A sizable chunk of the gaming community feels that there's no room left between AAA and indie game development. Because of this, Nintendo could position a sub-$200, Gamepad-less Wii U as the perfect side system for all your B-game needs. Once work on Smash and Zelda U is done, they just let half of their development teams run wild while the rest quietly works on their next system. Take all the remaining Wii U development funds and break them up between several dozens of smaller, low-budget experimental new IPs or old-school revivals that are built to be profitable between 100-200k units sold. If From Software could do it with Demon's Souls, there's no reason why Nintendo couldn't.

If one of those new IPs takes off, great! If not, they'll at least position themselves as a new Nintendo with a revamped core-oriented lineup, that isn't afraid to try new things, and a company that makes their consoles worthwhile no matter how grim the situation.

JoeM86

The Wii U situation is worse than the PS3's ever was though. The PS3s problem was the price. Once it dropped most figured that the sales would pick up. The rebranding just escalated that. Sony still had much greater mindshare with the target console audience and parity in terms of 3rd party support with the market leader. They also had the technological edge in terms of 1st party games that were seen as cutting edge at the time, like Uncharted, Killzone, God of War, ect...

Just because it's a worse situation doesn't mean that they shouldn't try.

The Wii U is trending lower LTD than both the GC and the Dreamcast (whose highest point is still incredibly low). This would suggest that the November numbers are most likely <300k.

What's amazing is by fall 2001, Sega had already announced that they were going third party. It's pretty incredible that Nintendo can't even beat that.

Log4Girlz

URGH... Are some people on here STILL preaching this 'worse than GameCube' line of deception!?

First, the Dreamcast was out in North America well after it had been on shelves in Japan. In turn, by the time that it launched, it had more games in its library. You can also see that it had a lower point of entry to ownership than the Wii U. The Dreamcast was the first 6th Generation home console to launch.

You can see very clearly in that graph that the GameCube also had a lower point of entry than the Wii U. The GameCube was the third 6th Generation home console to launch. When both price cuts came into play, their prices are HALF of what the Wii U is now, and that was in a better economic climate.

Skeleton Statistics won't cut it here (that is, simply quoting numbers without flesh/substance). To understand WHY the GameCube is doing better at this point, I'll leave this below:

I went into details about the growth of Nintendo IPs since the GameCube era in that post, but I feel that the above can cast some light on why the GameCube is faring better at a similar point. My position is the same as it's always been - that it needs more of the games that people want, and the biggest selling games (Smash Bros., Mario Kart) aren't there yet; However, I am not in the business of predicting numbers. Super Mario 3D World will continue to do well - However, one must note that the Mario & Luigi Bundle is currently the most popular, and that NSMBU saw a rise, too. I would imagine that there are enough Mario platform games for people to play should they bite now, and would say that those who bought that bundle, and other prospective buyers will most probably buy Super Mario 3D World at some point - This is why they are considered as 'Evergreen'. They might also want to play other games on it, so that they don't suffer from a Mario overload (for want of a better expression) - You can see in threads on here, that some new owners bought Pikmin 3 or The Wonderful 101, for example, and that those waiting to bite are asking for recommendations. There is a sense that its tide is making a turn - More positivity in Wii U-related articles, and a brighter change with regard to perceptions. To reinforce those statements, you can see in the Media Create threads of the last fortnight that following the release of Super Mario 3D World, its numbers picked up, and in the second week, those numbers continued to elevate.

Also, Nintendo released a new LOZ game on the 3DS (According to Iwata, the 3DS is expected to lead Nintendo's drive for 2013-14), and Super Mario 3D World on the same day as the XBox One - that was 22nd November in North America. You had the PS4 launch a week before it, too. So, if we can agree that more or most people had bitten when SM3DWorld released, then one would have to look at what was achieved in the last nine days of that calendar month, and if the majority of units for November were sold in that time, it is actually rather remarkable for a console still with many cards to play, and in the face of two other console launches. I'm saying that a greater insight is needed here. I'm also saying that for a console with such cards available to it, it's in a better position than many on here think it is, and there is no reason for Nintendo to panic. They'll be fine. During its life, it can still hit a profitable $249 point of entry, then a profitable $199, and even a profitable point below that when it reaches its twilight years. It is worth noting that the PS360 consoles did not achieve a full recovery until 2011, some 5 and 6 years after their releases - So, writing off the Wii U at this point is not right or proper, in my opinion. I'm not in the business of predicting numbers. I'm not saying that it will rise to DS heights, and I'm not saying anything about 'winning' the 8th Generation, only that it is extremely misleading to say that it is doing worse than the GameCube, when it's very apparent that without its top cards, without notable support from other parties, and without a stronger marketing drive, it would've suffered a significantly worse fate at the same points.

Furthermore, Nintendo are a compassionate conservative company. They won't kill off the Wii U early, when they've just made a transition to HD game development to release a more powerful system, and potentially quadruple their development costs, which happened with first party studios on the PS4 at launch. They are in a position where a Wii U Fire Emblem game would be viable with sales of 700,000 units - that is profitable to a point of satisfactory return on investment, profitable, or, at worst, breaking even, all on a system showing noticeable steps. With this in mind, I suspect that they will stick with it for quite a while, because it's very much in their interests. Still, the GameCube didn't cease production after having played more of its cards, and it was there for over five years, so it is rotten, premature, fanboyist folly to declare 'death'. As for 'sold at a loss' - No. It has been known that one game makes the transaction profitable, and it won't be sold at a loss forever. Still, this loss is in the U.S. - $299 is NOT the same as €299, or in Britain, £249. They're in the business of making profits, so, where a loss is made, it is natural that they will raise that concern, as investors will want to make the greatest returns possible.

For more details on just how steep a decline would have to be to 'fail harder than the GameCube', I wrote this a while back. It's a lengthy post. Whatever. That's all that I'll write here.

Hey Amir0x

JDSN

Banned
Christ, I was gonna drop cash for one in February but im not so sure now, not even as a secondary console I can see the viability of it for long unless Nintendo takes drastic measures that at the same time could be perceived as a sign of weakness so they would be adamant to take them.

Im sure they are gonna power through until its better end five years from now, the are conservative and afraid of even a re brand, they fucked up so bad that even calling it Wii2 could be useless, but then again thats what happens when you neglect your console to save a handheld.

The thing is...when you say "normal", it implies that Nintendo was a failing company with the N64 and GameCube. Except the N64 sold 33 million WW sales, which looks pathetic compared to Sony's 102 million WW...but actually pretty damned good compared to Sega's 9 million. The "awful" GameCube sales consist of a system basically only doing 21 million worldwide, so in comparison to Sony's monstrous 155 million sales for the PS2, Nintendo should've died that gen. But then Microsoft's XBox only beat Nintendo's system by a mere 3 million consoles, ending with 24 million consoles sold worldwide.

The N64 was "awful" at 33 million, because it was coming from a position of strength with the SNES selling about 50 million consoles WW. they ended up losing share, despite the only real competitor WW being sony, who had never actually made a console before and had virtually no first party franchises worth a damn.

The GC example is even worse. forget about sony selling 155 million PS2s. Microsoft, again a newcomer to the console space managed to outsell them by 3 million consoles worldwide, despite having no retail presence in japan.

Of the big three markets, microsoft was only actually competing in the US and EU and still outsold nintendo, with help from bungie and bioware. Mario, Zelda, Metroid etc were supposed to be unstoppable brands and didn't matter at all.

Is the Wii U a miserable failure? Yep. But here's the thing: Nintendo's still profitable.

nintendo is only profitable because of the handheld business, which is under serious threat from the smartphone market. the 3DS is tracking well below where the DS was, and even though the Vita isn't selling, the PSP's audience (about 70 million units) did not appear to have gone to nintendo either.

Meanwhile several times it's been brought up that Microsoft has considered cutting the XBox brand (which has only now started to turn a profit) loose. And Sony? The only good news comes from the video game division; Sony articles that don't center around the word "Playstation" tend to be rather dark.

Er...Sony has a WILDLY profitable financial division, and a very successful film division (though film is cyclical and everyone understands this). Sony's television business has been in a bad place, but they're not the exception. EVERY japanese manufacturer is getting hammered in the TV space as the profit margin on them vanishes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom