• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 10's Game Mode exclusive to UWP

Lutherian

UWP exclusivity confirmed

http://www.windowscentral.com/game-mode-windows-10-will-power-xbox-one-project-scorpio

YjKT0bR.png
YjKT0bR.png
YjKT0bR.png

(not sure if it deserves own topic)

Microsoft :
d14.jpg

it's almost like they're bolting on features that don't have to be UWP exclusive while ignoring the massive fundamental problems that people have with the platform

Except that some do have to be, at least until they decide to give more resources to port to win32. This feature for instance was developed on uwp by the xbox guys and it's being brought to pc on uwp. A platform that was created precisely to enable those scenarios.

EvB

This is always a fantastic argument.

Imagine if someone released a flagship smartphone in 2017 which couldn't install 3rd party applications and defended with "Well neither could the iPhone when it launched!"

That is a weird argument because you are no suggesting that windows 10 won't allow you to install ANY software onto it unless it's via the Windows store...

xrnzaaas

Yawn. The only thing that I'm interested in is whether that Creators Spring Win10 update will keep my operating system intact or not.

Durante

I used to think that, but to be honest, with a lot of the OSS moves Microsoft has made (.Net Core, VS Code on Linux), the cultural changes and shift Satya Nadella has moved Microsoft in I truly think it's more "Microsoft want to offer a curated, safe computing environment" as an alternative.
If that was the goal, then why can't I sign my own UWA's with a user able to easily add me as a trusted source? Why can't I personally give specific applications the ability to hook into others? Why can't I look at and manipulate the data files residing on my own computer?

Microsoft doesn't appear to be wanting to make computing safer for me.
They appear to want to make my own computer "safe" from me. That is utterly unacceptable.

KageMaru

Cause they want to play politics with the good tech they make. This is just as bad as them gimping DX10/11 by making it exclusive despite no need for it. We all know it's bullshit because vulkan works on XP to Windows 10.

It's not bullshit. DX12 and Vulkan are not the same. IIRC DX12 works works with or on a part of Windows 10 that isn't in 7 or 8.1. I'm still searching for the article and will post it since it was an interesting read.

it's almost like they're bolting on features that don't have to be UWP exclusive while ignoring the massive fundamental problems that people have with the platform

This isn't a feature for end users though, it's for developers.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
That is a weird argument because you are no suggesting that windows 10 won't allow you to install ANY software onto it unless it's via the Windows store...

They are mistaking W8's UWP for W10's UWP, which is becoming a very different beast, precisely because of the criitism early UWP/UWA suffered.

ghostjoke

Banned
"MS needs to improve UWA/Windows store if they want anyone to ever use it."

MS adds a feature to "improve" it

"No way in hell am I using their UWA shit"

MS makes it available for all

"Why would I use W10 store over steam?"

seems like MS can't win no matter what

Simple: Make UWP on par with Win32 before you start tacking on (likely to be) nothing features. The current benefits of UWP (security/convenience/updates) fall flat when the gamers Microsoft are trying to woo are savvy enough that these perks can be negated/have superior alternatives in Win32 with a little work and the negatives aren't worth it. They're trying to sell XBox features to a PC market instead of giving the PC market what they want/expect, aka the Microsoft protocol for PC gaming.

JaggedSac

Except that some do have to be, at least until they decide to give more resources to port to win32. This feature for instance was developed on uwp by the xbox guys and it's being brought to pc on uwp. A platform that was created precisely to enable those scenarios.

Dolby Atmos support is hitting Win10 in the Creators Update because of Xbone as well.

prudislav

Except, you know, the stuff that won't end up back-ported to Win32, and will require, sooner or later, UWP as a minimum target for implementation., Win32's time may not be done for several years, but there was a time they said the same about Win16 stuff, that's gone, the same will happen with Win32 one day, that's progress.
thing is Win 32 was fairly superior to Win16 ... UWA on other hand seems much worse (just look at updating of 52gb uwa apps o FH3) to be going different direction aka being great for mobile/tablet devs , but insane annoyance to end-user ... let alone the heresy called modder

Simple: Make UWP on par with Win32 before you start tacking on (likely to be) nothing features. The current benefits of UWP (security/convenience/updates) fall flat when the gamers Microsoft are trying to woo are savvy enough that these perks can be negated/have superior alternatives in Win32 with a little work and the negatives aren't worth it. They're trying to sell XBox features to a PC market instead of giving the PC market what they want/expect, aka the Microsoft protocol for PC gaming.
well said

Zedox

This thread is funny, though I didn't even think it needed to be made as this was stated in the Game Mode thread already...but yea, people love some Windows Store threads (they make me laugh now).

So we have scenarios which could be taken based off of the information in the article.

Scenario 1: Game Mode = A Task Manager when your game is 'sluggish'
If that is the case, why not just use Task Manager or some other 3rd party solution? I think that picture is a fake anyways.

Scenario 2: Game Mode = A UWP exclusive feature that automatically suspends processes so that the running game has as much power as possible.
If that is the case, for those who are in the "UWP/Windows Store is shit, i'll never use it"...why do you care/what are you upset about? You aren't using the service, nor are you buying the games. You already have all the tools that you need provided by programs made in Win32. Why outcry?
If you do buy UWAs, I can understand not wanting the system to automatically do certain things if you really wanted them to be running (playing music, uploading a video, etc...)

Scenario 3: Game Mode = A development tool used for UWAs to easily test games on different platforms/profiles (Xbox - Scorpio - PC)
If that is the case, why is there an outcry of how bad this is or why is it exclusive to UWP when Xbox and Scorpio use UWP and they have a platform on Windows that uses UWP so why not take advantage of that for development?

I just find it very interesting that MS tries to make a feature for UWP (if that is the case as the article isn't 100% sure) to help developers/users and people who don't even use the platform or won't use it is actually mad that it is happening as if it affect them.

MS makes new feature exclusive to UWP: Fuck Windows Store/UWP, making a walled garden. I'm not going to buy their games anyway.

MS makes new feature for Win32/UWP: Don't need UWP, fuck Windows Store/UWP.

It's really funny that every thread, good or not for UWP always turns into the same old thing. It makes me giggle.

singhr1

You're confusing UWP and Windows Store benefits.

Remember: UWP can be deployed ANYWHERE (technically), even Steam.
The Windows Store has a lot more problems (a lot of junk, confusing interface, download difficulties, etc.) than UWP itself.

cakely

UWP has a defense force, they're in this thread, and they just don't understand what is it about UWP that gets people so mad.

No one's "mad" about UWP. They just don't want it replacing Win32. This is fine because UWP has practically no chance of being adopted as a gaming platform outside of Microsoft published titles.

JaggedSac

If that was the goal, then why can't I sign my own UWA's with a user able to easily add me as a trusted source? Why can't I personally give specific applications the ability to hook into others? Why can't I look at and manipulate the data files residing on my own computer?

They appear to want to make my own computer "safe" from me. That is utterly unacceptable.

Pop-up not easy?

If by hook in you are referring to manipulating address space for remote processes, yeah, that ain't ever happening from a UWP. There is the Share contract one could use to interact with other applications, it isn't exactly robust though.

Also not sure what your last statement is referring to. You can create, update, read files on your computer in a uwp.

Edit: I think I get what you are saying in that last statement now. You are referring to the installed UWP location? If so, you can edit that as well. Just open up the command prompt or Windows explorers with admin permissions. People have been "modding" stuff with UWP games for a bit now.

arhra

Of course, all these reported W10 issues are made up by aeolist.

If someone can't find a particular bundle of a game on the Win10 Store they're doing something very, very wrong.

And if they're installing things via the store pages, they're literally just making things harder for themselves, since there's a full list of everything you own, with one-click install available, in your Library.

Chobel

All reported issues? I commented on that one specific install problem.
If someone can't find a particular bundle of a game on the Win10 Store they're doing something very, very wrong.

And if they're installing things via the store pages, they're literally just making things harder for themselves, since there's a full list of everything you own, with one-click install available, in your Library.

Oops, sorry my bad. You quoted Aselith but I was looking at a post by aeolist

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
If that was the goal, then why can't I sign my own UWA's with a user able to easily add me as a trusted source?

Since November you can, use makecert to make an x509 cert, then use signtool.exe, make your installer change a reg key (Cant remember off top of head which one) - job done!

Edit: See: https://github.com/aL3891/AppxInstaller
Non-store uwp application must still be submitted to Microsoft
False. An app that is not published to the store is signed locally using the signtool.exe utility from the windows sdk. Signing is done via a standard x509 certificate that can also be created locally with the makecert utility included in the Windows Sdk.

In order to install Non-store uwp apps, users must manually change their settings and accept security prompts
False. Prior to the windows 10 november update, the default setting in windows was to only install uwp apps from the store. Since then the default is now to allow other apps by default. Even so however, this setting is just a registry key and can be set by any app with appropriate privileges without any prompts. The standalone msi and appx installer in this repo sets these keys transparently from the user. When trusting an untrusted certificate, a uac prompt is required but this is not related to the universal windows platform.

Why can't I personally give specific applications the ability to hook into others? Why can't I look at and manipulate the data files residing on my own computer?

Given the desire to move to a safer execution environment for users and as part of UWP's drive to reduce malware, this should be obvious. Hopefully MS will find a way to open some of those restrictions over time when they can be made safer to do so.

Power users admittedly have to make concessions under this model, however making the platform more malware resistant for the average dumb user is a move that should be understood, given crap like ransomware and other malware that is prolific on the platform.

As long as this doesn't effect those who don't want to use the windows store then I don't have an issue with it. Let them do whatever they want with their ecosystem.

Yeah it's all about control and I don't like it either. As long as they don't shove it down my throat if I don't want to use their store then I'm ok with it for now.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
I'm still trying to understand why this is such a terrible thing that's causing angst.

Isn't game mode effectively a task manager that shuts down processes to help a game run better? If so, are people upset because they DON'T want Game mode to be exclusive to Windows Store games?

It seems to me (with my limited knowledge of PC stuff), that most of the people that would actually be affected in any way by this, would have a PC powerful enough to the point where Game Mode would be rendered worthless anyway. Which means it doesn't affect them. Anyone else wouldn't notice.

So again, what's the issue here?

Zedox

As long as this doesn't effect those who don't want to use the windows store then I don't have an issue with it. Let them do whatever they want with their ecosystem.

Bingo. ;)

Collingwood said:
I'm still trying to understand why this is such a terrible thing that's causing angst.

Isn't game mode effectively a task manager that shuts down processes to help a game run better? If so, are people upset because they DON'T want Game mode to be exclusive to Windows Store games?

It seems to me (with my limited knowledge of PC stuff), that most of the people that would actually be affected in any way by this, would have a PC powerful enough to the point where Game Mode would be rendered worthless anyway.

Easy: It's Windows Store thread. Even when people have reasonable objections to what MS is doing (which there was a lot, the list is dwindling but a lot of work for them to do), you get people who have no reason to be mad but fanboyism (in my opinion at least) occurs in threads like this.

StereoVsn

The Windows Store has a lot more problems (a lot of junk, confusing interface, download difficulties, etc.) than UWP itself.
Yeah, technically except nobody would ever do that unless they absolutely had to. So you win, technically.

Non technically UWP store in Win10 is still plagued by issues like having to re-download games, reformat whole systems to fix that, inability to properly Mod, hiding systems and files from users, having high pricing since Devs cant generate keys to resell, and so on

Win10 Store is terrible, UWP is locked to that for all intends and purposes, and it can go to hell. There are plenty of other games to play on other stores without having to fight with that travesty.

"MS needs to improve UWA/Windows store if they want anyone to ever use it."

MS adds a feature to "improve" it

"No way in hell am I using their UWA shit"

MS makes it available for all

"Why would I use W10 store over steam?"

seems like MS can't win no matter what

Yeah its almost as if this wasnt the problem people had with UWA that needed fixing. o_O

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I wonder what Tim Sweeney makes of this. Or Valve for that matter. Sounds like a neat vector to make OS level gaming improvements in Windows UWP only.

nynt9

People know you dont need the windows store to distribute UWP right?

I know the store has its problems but why the fuck would people want less competition?

If it blows dont use it, force them to improve it till its better. If its good, dope, maybe itll force competitors to make there products better.

this is tired as shit by now but does everybody forget when everyone HATED THE SHIT out of a steam?

Microsoft's practices are generally anti-consumer, so them succeeding is actually bad for competition, it's anti-competitive. So them failing is actually good for competition until they change their practices.

M3d10n

I suspect this is some sort of common environment/mode for XB1 games, continuing the "merging" of Xbox and PC.

Dynasty

I wonder what Tim Sweeney makes of this. Or Valve for that matter. Sounds like a neat vector to make OS level gaming improvements in Windows UWP only.

Except from what we have seen so far is that it is a simplified task manager so not a OS level feature.

MS needs to fix the store, this should be the number one priority.

Aselith

I will bring up the information when I get home and describe the problem and, as an Ultimate Edition owner, you may not experience this but IIRC as a standard owner only...if you click on the standard edition, it takes you to a page that says that it's part of a bundle from which you cannot install the product so you have to go to the bundle page and then click on the standard game to be able to actually get an install option.

I was not aware there was a library page in the profile, I had looked on the main page assuming that it would be a top level menu option. I didn't think that a company would bury their library page a few menus deep.

KageMaru

It seems to me (with my limited knowledge of PC stuff), that most of the people that would actually be affected in any way by this, would have a PC powerful enough to the point where Game Mode would be rendered worthless anyway. Which means it doesn't affect them. Anyone else wouldn't notice.

I don't think it's even a task manager, it looks to be a feature for developers to make it easier to cross develop for XBO, Scorpio, and windows 10. At least that's what I get from the quote below.

This means that developers using Game Mode enabled UWP today to build games for Xbox One at 900-1080p and up to 4K for Windows 10 PCs are ready to deploy those games for Project Scorpio, with over 95% of the existing project code intact. This could explain why we're already seeing major players jump on the UWA-train, with Resident Evil 7 set for a Windows 10 Store debut on January 24th, 2017. If it is a Game Mode enabled UWA, Resident Evil 7 is ready for true 4K on Project Scorpio as a result, unpacking its 4K PC textures and settings when it installs on the console.

The OP should have included this quote as well.

Bingo. ;)

Easy: It's Windows Store thread. Even when people have reasonable objections to what MS is doing (which there was a lot, the list is dwindling but a lot of work for them to do), you get people who have no reason to be mad but fanboyism (in my opinion at least) occurs in threads like this.

It's not even a Windows store thread though. Also a portion of GAF will just find any reason to bitch about MS, no matter what they do.

ghostjoke

Banned

True. I should have pointed that out. The only way I see a use for UWP is getting them from the Windows Store for the benefits I listed. A "standalone" seems pointless unless you are absolutely terrified of breaking something in the Win32 version or have some extremely limited computing power, both of which you would overcome before going near PC gaming.

All of this feels really disingenuous on Microsoft's part so they can reshape PC gaming as they have wanted for years. Game Mode looks like nothing more than marketing point that they can push out to pretend their platform and distribution are superior. I had a Game Mode when playing counter-strike on college computers, it was killing processes until only 10 or so were left. It worked perfectly and took a few minutes of googling to know what were essential to keep the OS running. Flipping that and making it seem like this is a huge benefit of UWP is irritating when there are so many issues link to it. I'm sure it's more complicated, but in terms of the performance increase, it's not likely to be much different than just deleting process after process.

horkrux

Why would you say they're ignoring problems, when we have already seen them fixing problems people had with UWP? God forbid they're adding features while doing so, terrible!

Zedox

I will bring up the information when I get home and describe the problem and, as an Ultimate Edition owner, you may not experience this but IIRC as a standard owner only...if you click on the standard edition, it takes you to a page that says that it's part of a bundle from which you cannot install the product so you have to go to the bundle page and then click on the standard game to be able to actually get an install option.

Yes, what he is saying is correct. If you go to Standard edition you can "manage" and then inside of it is says "in this bundle", you click that and it lets you install. I agree (and have stated before) that they really need to get that bundle shit under control aka redo the ui for it...

If you go to the one that says "Game" when you are searching, it brings up the correct one. I do agree with your angst against that UI...I think it needs reworking.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Dead feature before it's even out.

Impressive, MS.

This was more my line of thinking.

My (probably incorrect) interpretation of Game Mode is that it targets casual PC gamers with weak PCs who would run other processes at the same time as running a game.

So, 4 people?

GRaider81

Bingo. ;)

Fanboyism for what? Our own PCs?

Said this in the Scorpio thread as it was posted there, but I can imagine this game mode being MS' big picture equivalent. As in, the Xbox UI on PC.

Can imagine that is why it's UWP exclusive.

Yep - which is why I was wondering why people thought it WOULDN'T be exclusive to UWP/UWA...it's very easy to see what they're trying to do here.

Whether it'll be successful is another matter, but it seemed a little obvious to me when I read the news yesterday.

Top Bottom