• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT2| Waiting for Sakamoto

Status
Not open for further replies.
ENDING SPOILERS

This is what makes the reset so infuriating. All that work spent showing us how one can overcome adversity and get over the horrible things in our lives. That entire learning and growing process of dealing with grief, sorrow and moving on. And the forgiveness for those who wronged us as we ask for forgiveness from those we have wronged. All that destroyed because they wanted a magical happy ending.

ENDING SPOILERS!!!

Yes. A miracle happened that gave Tomoya his world (Nagisa and Ushio) back to him. But Tomoya didn't forget about what happened. He still learned from it and learned that every moment with these two people should be treasured and how important family is and how he's not alone. In the episode where Tomoya narrates the entirety of Clannad he comments about what happened to Nagisa and Ushio and how he clearly learned from it. So he got the lesson and the happy ending he so rightfully deserved. It wasn't a reset like you think of it. He still remembers everything. What happened was a miracle and it sent Tomoya back to Nagisa's side when she's giving birth but this time she survives.

So you commenting about how that was ruined doesn't make sense if the character learned the lesson. It didn't invalidate what happened in those last episodes. Suggesting that it did is shortsighted.

Articalys

Pilot's Love Song ep.11

So first I thought we were getting a tragic ending, then the day was saved by the deus ex machina power of love so I thought it would be a happy ending, then that last line means it's probably going to be a bittersweet ending.

Zeppeli

Banned
I marathon Steins;Gate every time I watch it like several other series. Some are just that good.

Nope. Theyre not done yet. Better watch something really happy.

No need to beat around the bush, you can mention Nichijou by name.

x4xUHWW.gif

JoeFu

Banned
Watch Humanity Has Declined.

I think my peak was marathoning 30ish episodes of CCS or Full Moon in a day.

Well Humanity has Declined is on CR so I'll probably finish it tomorrow afternoon

also Nichijou is amazing. I don't get any hate for it at all.

Gundam Build Fighters - Episode 23

I've now watched this episode twice now. Gundam Build Fighters hits yet another home run!

I'm seriously hoping for an S2 announcement on Thursday's Gundam event that's going on.

Believe

Branduil

Nichibros > Nichijou

It turns out animation and big budgets don't matter nearly as much for comedy as good jokes(and great VA delivery).

I think my peak was marathoning 30ish episodes of CCS or Full Moon in a day.

I think my highest is also somewhere in the 30's. If I remember right that honour goes to Death Note, One Piece (on several occasions), Gundam SEED Destiny (I wanted to finish it quicker) and more recently Ojamajo Doremi (I think it was Sharp that got this treatment).

survivor

Banned
I think Nichibros was more consistent, but Nichijou was still damn good. Still watch some short videos of Nichijou on youtube every now and then.

cajunator

Banned
K-On! 03

Master of procrastination

Studying is hard work. Both for maths and chords. Good thing Ritsu is helpful to have around... or... maybe not. At least the actual test went fine even if certain things were forgotten.

That was how I used to (try) to study. It never worked. Studying isnt for me.

JoeFu

Banned
I still need to watch Daily Lives of High School Boys. I remember people recommending that in the nichijou thread I made.

jman2050

ENDING SPOILERS

This is what makes the reset so infuriating. All that work spent showing us how one can overcome adversity and get over the horrible things in our lives. That entire learning and growing process of dealing with grief, sorrow and moving on. And the forgiveness for those who wronged us as we ask for forgiveness from those we have wronged. All that destroyed because they wanted a magical happy ending.

Aside from all that, which are excellent points, (MORE ENDING SPOILERS)
my biggest problem with the ending is that it didn't feel earned. Nagisa was on borrowed time from the start. For all intents and purposes she should have been dead long before the events of the story if not for Akio's wish, and it was only via this miracle that she had the chance to grow up, fall in love, have a life, and even leave a child as a legacy of her existence. She had a family where before she would have had nothing. There's actual tragedy and dramatic weight there without feeling unfair or grim.

Instead she gets to live and go on like nothing ever happened because uh, lights? Because Ushio has the power to guide Tomoya to gathering said lights because uh... because she can? Because Maeda couldn't justify a perfectly happy ending without drawing from the 'vague supernatual powers' well one too many times? I mean, people throw around the term 'Deus ex Machina' all willy-nilly for all sorts of vaguely applicable plot twists but isn't this scenario precisely what 'God from the Machine' was meant to describe? That an otherwise unsolvable problem is solved because an entity with manufactured godlike powers said so?

I suppose that's an overly harsh way of looking at things as this story at least had the decency to foreshadow its vague life-saving plot device, but I still felt it cheapened the whole thing. I said it in this thread before, but if you really wanted to push the supernatural angle, make the primary conflict specifically about freeing Ushio from her mother's curse, not about saving Nagisa for no reason. I'm told the movie kinda does this? I think? I haven't seen it so I don't know if it really does it right but that's how I feel anyhow.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Nichibros is better than Nichijou
Denpa Onna is better than Chewney
Space Dandy 10 is better than Haruhi S2

Basically Kyoani can't do anything right.

I'm told the movie kinda does this? I think? I haven't seen it so I don't know if it really does it right but that's how I feel anyhow.

The movie just ends the story at a certain point, and it doesn't really have any of the
supernatural stuff
at all. It's really nothing like the series. I guess you could call it more focused, but it loses a lot too. I thought the movie was quite bad compared to the series, but some people might like how the movie ends more.

Zeppeli

Banned
Nichibros is better than Nichijou
Denpa Onna is better than Chewney
Space Dandy 10 is better than Haruhi S2

Basically Kyoani can't do anything right.

Nichibros isn't better than Nichijou, but it's still damn fine. The others are completely true.

K-ON is bad, too.

Yowapeda Episode 23

They made him too pretty that it comes off a bit too intense for me, though why cant Imaizumi ride that way, or Naruko too, and Toudou. Some of the visuals for the speed up were a bit on the extreme and unnecessary side, please stay realistic.

I dont think anyone mentioned the next OP and ED starting april 7th for it. Hyped to hear the characters sing.

OP3: 「Be As One」performed by Team Sohoku (Onoda Sakamichi, Imaizumi Shunsuke, Naruko Shoukichi, Kinjou Shingo, Makishima Yusuke, Tadokoro Jin)
ED3: 「Glory Road」performed by Team Hakogaku (Fukutomi Juichi, Manami Sankagu, Toudou Jinpachi, Shinkai Hayato, Arakita Yasutomo, Izumida Touichirou)

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Who do I report a hacked account to?
Space Dandy is the greatest anime of all time, industry saved etc.
Hyouka.

Oh wait they can't even license that properly.
True Dick is better than Hyouka.

But Girlock is better thaan Sherlock
Nichibros isn't better than Nichijou, but it's still damn fine. The others are completely true.

Nichijou has some nice sakuga going for it but the humor is hit-or-miss, with a heavy bias towards "miss".

Nichibros is consistently funny.

CorvoSol

Gundam Build Fighters - Episode 23

I've now watched this episode twice now. Gundam Build Fighters hits yet another home run!

I'm seriously hoping for an S2 announcement on Thursday's Gundam event that's going on.

Believe

I want it but my wallet could never survive another season of Build Fighters.

"There's something sleazy about K-On that nothing Nickelodeon produces can even approach."

Yeah, it was about that moment I realized there would be no further intelligent discussion. I don't even watch shows like that and I was still like "UHM."

Branduil

Nichijou is the greatest eye-candy KyoAni has produced alongside Hyouka. It's just unfortunate the source material and direction doesn't measure up, unlike the latter. Nice .gifs though.

Nichijou is the greatest eye-candy KyoAni has produced alongside Hyouka. It's just unfortunate the source material and direction doesn't measure up, unlike the latter. Nice .gifs though.

With K-ON, KyoAni was able to elevate the source material into something that was more than just well-animated trash. It's a shame that they've lost that ability.

So when I eventually have to get to Space Bros and Hajime No Ippo, which one should I watch first if I decide to just marathon one before doing the other one? I see both are very well loved in the anime community.

These are both really good shows so the answer depends on personal preference. I'd just watch a few episodes of each and see which one you want to go with, the early episodes are good indicators of what each show is about.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
So when I eventually have to get to Space Bros and Hajime No Ippo, which one should I watch first if I decide to just marathon one before doing the other one? I see both are very well loved in the anime community.

Theres over a hundred episodes of hajime no ippo in total, plus 2 OVAs, plus a movie, all of which is canon so no skipping, save that for last.

SS Monogatari Episode 26

Unless they try to tie every loose end in the movie, we're going to get another season. That was a weak and predictable "cliffhanger" though.

Remember when Senjougahara actually showed up in the series? She had maybe 15 minutes total screentime in 26 episodes for SS.
Actually your forgot that senjougahara was present in nekomonogatari shiro as well she had an entire ( almost ) episode dedicated to her and hanekawa talking and her analysing hanekawa behavior ... then lost and lots of moment with her talking with kaiki in the last arc ... she certainly didn't have lost of importance but she was present

More DokiDoki Precure stuff from the Complete Works

While a lot of this was already posted, I'm going to pick and select several things that set me off

Augh

Rest of the goods (spoiler stuff I guess)
ALL OF MY WHY

I'm against eveyrthing they did or wanted to do ... it was obvious that those 2 vilains were added for cure Ace since Bel deleted them from existance a couple of episodes later and lol at them caring for cure sword when she was put on the ground , heck underground when she had MANA and aguri in front of her.
If they cared it didn't show.

Also, question about Bakemonogatari, but spoilers up to SS:

Was Sengoku's hair green in the opening "Renai Circulation" a reference to Medusa and who'd she eventually become?

NO because
it was After that the writter talked with sengoku voice actress ( reunion with the animation staff i believe ) that he got the idea for the events of that arc...

Tenumi

Banned
Actually from what I gather, not many here like Nichijou all that much. I love it and consider it one of the upper tier KyoAni shows.

I really liked it, and so did the friends I watched it with.

The E7 kids are really the worst thing about it. What the hell were they thinking.

I agree way too much. Even after watching the entire show and loving it, I could have loved it more without them.

More racism against moeblobs?

From the Acclaimed director of 12 Years a Cat Slave comes D'Moe Unblobed. based on Push by Sapphire

Space Bros. Drags a bit in the middle but its really good.
These are both really good shows so the answer depends on personal preference. I'd just watch a few episodes of each and see which one you want to go with, the early episodes are good indicators of what each show is about.
Theres over a hundred episodes of hajime no ippo in total, plus 2 OVAs, plus a movie, all of which is canon so no skipping, save that for last.

So the idea I'm getting so far is that I should start with Space Bros. I'll probably still sprinkle in some Hajime no Ippo here and there. Is there an order to the movies/OVAs if I want to watch chronologically?

cajunator

Banned
I think my highest is also somewhere in the 30's. If I remember right that honour goes to Death Note, One Piece (on several occasions), Gundam SEED Destiny (I wanted to finish it quicker) and more recently Ojamajo Doremi (I think it was Sharp that got this treatment).

some shows just hook me and I cant stop watching.

Nichijou is part boring and weird and part some of the funniest stuff I've seen. I like it, and would buy it on DVD if I could.

Not seen Nichibros yet.

nichibros is aweeeeeeeeesome.

Toradorable 9

Yup it is clear now what's going on. Minorin taking a moment from being a comic relief character to dive into her a bit was nice.

It was another good episode.

Gonna adopt Toradorable into daily language.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom