• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wolfenstein: The New Order sequel is coming, but no sooner than 2017

Riddick, The Darkness, and Syndicate, yes.

Syndicate is a weird one, as it was in development partially in parallel with The New Order, but some Starbreeze guys went over to MachineGames to finish up Wolfenstein when their work on Syndicate was done.
Memories of Syndicate co-op still make me smile. Damn did they get the heft and intensity down perfectly for those firefights.

Great news on the green light, and I can definitely wait to let Machine Games take the time to do it right.

Zukkoyaki

Machine's Wolfenstein games are great but I was holding on to a personal dream that they would make a Quake game next!

This is a nice consolation prize though :)

Shredderi

Riddick, The Darkness, and Syndicate, yes.

Syndicate is a weird one, as it was in development partially in parallel with The New Order, but some Starbreeze guys went over to MachineGames to finish up Wolfenstein when their work on Syndicate was done.

Ah, I see.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Couldn't they just work on another game?

I for one enjoy the idea of getting more BJ. Hope she didn't confuse "sequel" with "DLC", though.

It's relatively unlikely in 2015 that if your game does too poorly for a sequel that your relatively new major retail game studio will still exist.

And if your major retail game did well enough for a sequel, well, it will get a sequel.

Duraigo

Sometimes Christmas......sometimes birthdays.......sometimes an actress revealing news you want to hear via a interview you would have never listened to.

wolfenstein_3d__get_psyched_by_nightmaremetropolis-d3aoslk.png

gabbo

As long as it ends with him having a son who goes on to host a tv show (and a grandson), they can fill in the rest however the want (shooting Nazi's please!)

Guy.brush

Nice.
Machinegames: give us a real "Breitspurbahn" level please with combat in and around the giant carriages. Endbattle inside the "Grosse Halle" in the heart of Germania, against non other than the Fuhrer or whoever is in charge (he was ominously absent in TNO which could be a nice plot point)

Yessssss. TNO was one of my favorite shooters in the last decade.

Hopefully they get their hands in a better engine though. And fix those sound mix issues.

Probably gon use that "Void" engine Bethsada is making Arkane use for Dishonored 2.

CIZnpPKWEAAe17L.png:large

and whatever Mikami and co are doing at Grasshopper next, probably the same thing, 2017 at the earliest. I think its just a fancy way to say "idTech 6"

Wolfenstein TNO was such an awesome game but TOB didn't quite scratch the same itch. I did beat both of them on Uber though. Day 1 for me

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
like DIshonored 2, I wouldn'd mind playing Anya. Nazi germany was a very patriarcal society and playing a woman killing hordes of nazis could only open great lines in the world reacting to your action as a player " a polish, jewish, woman is making so much trouble, how is this possible ? " shouted the nazi officers, before you would impale them with a giant nail gun.
I didn't realize how much I wanted TNO 2 until I read this. Yes please!

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Probably gon use that "Void" engine Bethsada is making Arkane use for Dishonored 2.

CIZnpPKWEAAe17L.png:large

and whatever Mikami and co are doing at Grasshopper next, probably the same thing, 2017 at the earliest. I think its just a fancy way to say "idTech 6"

id Tech 6 has been mentioned by name in an official capacity, but some believe that Void is a modified early fork of id Tech 6 as the engine is still being developed alongside Doom 4 itself (similar to the situation with Source and Vampire/Half-Life 2).

Vibranium

Banned
Can't wait. I hope it's on idTech6, the game can look much nicer on a better iteration of the engine.

Stuff to improve would be the perks system and maybe add more set pieces. I'd like to see more extensive weapons upgrading as well. Instead of challenge maps they should do some other sort of crazy mode. Also...bring back Feargus and confirm his timeline as canon.

SURGEdude

Can't wait. I hope it's on idTech6, the game can look much nicer on a better iteration of the engine.

Stuff to improve would be the perks system and maybe add more set pieces. I'd like to see more extensive weapons upgrading as well. Instead of challenge maps they should do some other sort of crazy mode. Also...bring back Feargus and confirm his timeline as canon.

I'd imagine there's no way in hell they would stick with jank ass idTech5. I hope to god at least.

TNO was a surprisingly sleeper hit, not talked about much but I loved it. Story was great, it was cool having a small choice trickle out throughout the game, and very nice flow.

TOB wasn't quite as good, but it was nice they put it out as a standalone DLC. I wonder if that worked out well financially or if they should have just spent that time on a sequel, I can't imagine it sold all that well and it was at a pretty cheap price point.

They're not going to be able to recapture the shockingly good (for the trashy subject matter) story / characters, but they should at least be able to iterate and improve the quality gameplay.

I'd probably kill bj and have Anya or a totally new character but I don't really care if they want him to return either. Any way is fine for me

SURGEdude

Where can I preorder?

I usually only preorder maybe 2 games a year out of the 30 or so I buy near launch, but unless I hear something bad I will be first in line for this. Might even consider my first ever special edition which is really saying something for me.

They're not going to be able to recapture the shockingly good (for the trashy subject matter) story / characters, but they should at least be able to iterate and improve the quality gameplay.

I'd probably kill bj and have Anya or a totally new character but I don't really care if they want him to return either. Any way is fine for me

I wouldn't put it past Machine Games to keep up the quality. Remember this is the team behind perhaps the best movie tie-in game of all time Riddick: Escape from Bitcher Bay.

I mean, The New Order wasn't the first time they've pulled great characters and performances out of shlocky material. For anyone that enjoyed the game and was familiar with the developer's pedigree, there was nothing "shocking" about how good those aspects were.

Top Bottom