• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WSJ: Nintendo now to manufacture 16 million Switch consoles next FY, up from 8m

Mrbob

Anecdotally, my lapsed gamer friend ( since ps2) bought a Fucking switch for Zelda. Never would have happened for wiiu, or even wii or GameCube. The hardware itself is somewhat desirable.

Third parties gonna leave money on the table again?
I can see this because the actual device looks appealing, and not like some Fisher Price toy ala the WiiU gamepad.

Cool, I want Nintendo to do well. With Zelda, 3D Mario, Mario Kart, Splatoon and maybe Xenoblade 2 all coming in 2017, I really wonder what they'll release in 2018, besides Fire Emblem. Maybe a new Monster Hunter? E3 is going to be pretty exciting.

I want this E3 to give me the feeling that both Wii U and 3DS teams are working together on games for the Switch. I don't have that feeling just yet.

jts

...hate me...
Switch is definitely going to outsell WiiU, right? At this point, GCN numbers once all it's said and done would be pretty okay.

GCN numbers would be pretty bad but it should easily surpass them.

MTC100

Banned
Nintendo has one of the best exclusive first year Launchlineup in gaming history and you can't order the switch online anywhere in my country(or even the whole EU). I still think it will sell 50 mil. units or more within 5 years.

bbQ3_f-maxage-0_s-200x150.gif

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
hope that doesnt prelude a whole bunch of unshipped stock. 3DS is at 20 million LTD for Japan alone. If they think they can sell 1/3rd of 3DS in one year,on track with PS4's shipped stock in its top year..they are either very confident or very stupid. So far have not seen any software upcoming to push a boost like that, core Nintendo franchises and Monster Hunter be damned

Cool, I want Nintendo to do well. With Zelda, 3D Mario, Mario Kart, Splatoon and maybe Xenoblade 2 all coming in 2017, I really wonder what they'll release in 2018, besides Fire Emblem. Maybe a new Monster Hunter? E3 is going to be pretty exciting.

I want this E3 to give me the feeling that both Wii U and 3DS teams are working together on games for the Switch. I don't have that feeling just yet.

Imagine if they bring their handheld games. That's what I want. That would be pretty great

Cartho

If the rumours are true, can we just stop and dream of what could be for a sec?

By Christmas Switch could have: (possibly maybe perhaps)

Zelda BOTW - widely agreed to be one of the best games ever made
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
Arms
Splatoon 2
Super Mario Odyssey
Pokemon (one of the biggest system sellers on any console)
Smash Bros port
Xenoblade 2
Pikmin 4

Plus all the other random stuff like Skyrim, Fifa (please be a proper Fifa, that would make bank) etc.

That would be an absolutely batshit insane first year.

ryechu

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
Arms
Splatoon 2
Super Mario Odyssey
Smash Bros port
Xenoblade 2

Plus all the other random stuff like Skyrim, Fifa (please be a proper Fifa, that would make bank) etc.

Pikmin 4.

random25

If anything I would say the software aligns more with the Gamecube or the Wii than the Wii U..

Well, BotW, MK8D and Splatoon 2 had their predecessors on the Wii U, and Xenoblade 2 is a sequel to the franchise that had games on Wii and Wii U. Currently, only Mario Odyssey would be the game that would feel like a successor to Gamecube games. But I get what you are saying, more in terms of catering more to the "hardcore gamer" from the get go, like the Gamecube did.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
Arms
Splatoon 2
Super Mario Odyssey
Smash Bros port
Xenoblade 2

Don't forget about VC. Really hoping to hear more on this.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Makes sense - i think they will have a ridiculous Holiday Lineup.

Switch will definitely outsell the Wii U but I think Nintendo is getting ahead of themselves upping it to 16mil in a year. 8 million was definitely doable. This could come back to bite them in the ass.

ggx2ac

Hahaha

I told you guys that Superdata IDC prediction of 8 million shipped by end of Q1 of 2018 was low.

I was right that it was possible for them to ship as many as the 3DS did in its first year which was 15 million but this would exceed that by a million (against 17 million for 3DS) by end of next FY.

Bluth54

Anecdotally, my lapsed gamer friend ( since ps2) bought a Fucking switch for Zelda. Never would have happened for wiiu, or even wii or GameCube. The hardware itself is somewhat desirable.

Third parties gonna leave money on the table again?

I imagine that many third parties are pretty much in a holding pattern with the Switch. If it continues to sell very well we'll probably start to see more game announcements. If the sales slow down most will probably stay away.

I'm sure many third party games could be ported to Switch. For most games it would probably be more work porting a game to Switch than it would between the Xbox One/PS4/PC so I can't blame most publishers for taking a wait and see approach.

Anth0ny

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
Arms

Splatoon 2
Super Mario Odyssey
Smash Bros port
Xenoblade 2

Pikmin 4

I'm just curious if the bolded have any real console selling power.

Hard to tell if games like Kart, Pokemon and Smash, despite being juggernauts, are going to get people to cough up $300 to play it on a new system. On one hand, they're old games with a few extras thrown in. On the other hand, nobody bought the Wii U, so it'll be a good chance for many to experience Kart and Smash for the first time.

I have no faith in Arms, Xenoblade 2 will always be niche as fuck, and Pikmin 4 I doubt will be out this year, but we'll see.

Splatoon 2 and Mario will move hardware, no doubt.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
So what's Nintendo doing right this time that it didn't do with the Wii U?

well its a new console...i dont know if anyone knows how it will settle. But the form factor and design is definitely the Wii U if it was done right

TheWraith

Wouldn't a port of Mario Maker be a given? That could be a killer app for the Switch with the momentum they have right now.

wildfire

Banned
Switch will definitely outsell the Wii U but I think Nintendo is getting ahead of themselves upping it to 16mil in a year. 8 million was definitely doable. This could come back to bite them in the ass.

Expectations for Switch to beat the Wii U as a baseline is unrealistic. The Switch has to be beating the combined sales of the Wii U and 3DS to be considered successful.

RM8

Wouldn't a port of Mario Maker be a given? That could be a killer app for the Switch with the momentum they have right now.
2D Mario without a d-pad, though ;(

And yes, I know you can buy a pro controller if sacrificing portability is not an issue for you.

Sandfox

Hard to tell if games like Kart, Pokemon and Smash, despite being juggernauts, are going to get people to cough up $300 to play it on a new system. On one hand, they're old games with a few extras thrown in. On the other hand, nobody bought the Wii U, so it'll be a good chance for many to experience Kart and Smash for the first time.

I have no faith in Arms, Xenoblade 2 will always be niche as fuck, and Pikmin 4 I doubt will be out this year, but we'll see.

MK, Pokemon, and Smash would move systems. As you said a lot of people didn't pick up a Wii U and Pokemon would have the hype from being the first version of the game playable on console.

Arms is being developed by the Mario Kart team, so I expect it to get pushed.

Games like Xenoblade and Pikmin aren't system sellers on their own, but make for a good package surrounded by those other titles.

Robert807

I have never seen a launch as bad as the switch. All I got is Zelda to play. The e shop is a joke. I think they got like 12 games on there and most if not all of them are indie games. At least Sony and Microsoft had third part games. So after Zelda I guess I wait a month till Mario kart. Heck I already played this game with all its dlc. Than what comes next arms. That game doesn't look to fun to me. I don't think Nintendo will sell more than maybe 7 million by next March. Sony and Xbox have a lot more games coming out. They will hands down sell more systems this Holliday season. I think the new Xbox will sell more this Holliday than Nintendo . All new systems have stortages when they are first released. Let's see how much Nintendo can sell a few months from know.

Neoxon

• Pokémon, if the rumors are true, is gonna sell no matter what. And it being (supposedly) being the first mainline game on a home console could be a big selling point.
  • As you said, not many people bought the Wii U, so the likes of MK8 & (supposedly) Smash 4 will be new experiences for many. That plus the additional content will help convince those with the original games to double-dip.
  • Xenoblade 2's probably gonna be a cult hit like the first game, assuming it's just as good as the first.
  • Concerning ARMS, there were quite a few people who didn't think that Splatoon could move units like it did for the Wii U of all systems. Though like Splatoon, ARMS is likely to get a huge marketing push (especially since it's being made by the Mario Kart team).

massoluk

Banned
I have never seen a launch as bad as the switch. All I got is Zelda to play. The e shop is a joke. I think they got like 12 games on there and most if not all of them are indie games. At least Sony and Microsoft had third part games. So after Zelda I guess I wait a month till Mario kart. Heck I already played this game with all its dlc. Than what comes next arms. That game doesn't look to fun to me. I don't think Nintendo will sell more than maybe 7 million by next March. Sony and Xbox have a lot more games coming out. They will hands down sell more systems this Holliday season. I think the new Xbox will sell more this Holliday than Nintendo . All new systems have stortages when they are first released. Let's see how much Nintendo can sell a few months from know.

Again NeoGAF post made me doubt if my Poe's Law detection circuit is functional

hope that doesnt prelude a whole bunch of unshipped stock. 3DS is at 20 million LTD for Japan alone. If they think they can sell 1/3rd of 3DS in one year,on track with PS4's shipped stock in its top year..they are either very confident or very stupid. So far have not seen any software upcoming to push a boost like that, core Nintendo franchises and Monster Hunter be damned

16 million isn't 1/3 of the 3DS and I'm not sure why the Japanese ltd is relevant.

wildfire

Banned

Mario Kart and Pokemon are proven system sellers. Mario Kart even boosted sales of the Wii U in the US just like Splatoon boosted sales in Japan. I'm assuming you never paid attention to handhelds which is why you could say something as laughable as Pokemon might not be a system seller.

Top Bottom