• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WSJ: Nintendo now to manufacture 16 million Switch consoles next FY, up from 8m

So what's Nintendo doing right this time that it didn't do with the Wii U?

IT's actually an appealing product. The Wii U was a clunky half assed concept that couldn't decide if it wanted to appeal to casuals or core, and ended up appealing to neither. I think the Switch at the very least has much better appeal with core gamers. Also doesn't hurt that Zelda is being universally praised and turning into one of those "you have to play it" game experiences.

Lingitiz

So what's Nintendo doing right this time that it didn't do with the Wii U?

It's a console with a clear pitch that looks like a premium product. It has a practical appeal that resonates with anyone from kids to adults and offers something that competitors do not. It also launched with arguably one of the best games ever.

Wii U had...brand confusion with the original Wii, a good lineup of games but a poor rollout period and long drought, no true killer app, and a gamepad gimmick that never justified it's existence outside of a few games. It was also overpriced at launch at $350 and the hardware itself looked and felt budget.

dickroach

I'm just curious if the bolded have any real console selling power.

Hard to tell if games like Kart, Pokemon and Smash, despite being juggernauts, are going to get people to cough up $300 to play it on a new system. On one hand, they're old games with a few extras thrown in. On the other hand, nobody bought the Wii U, so it'll be a good chance for many to experience Kart and Smash for the first time.

I have no faith in Arms, Xenoblade 2 will always be niche as fuck, and Pikmin 4 I doubt will be out this year, but we'll see.

Splatoon 2 and Mario will move hardware, no doubt.
and on the other hand, Kart and Smash were the two games that every was sure were finally gonna help the Wii U pick up steam and move systems. they didn't.

i'm also curious how this year's gonna shake out

psyfi

Banned
I think ARMS is going to surprise folks who wrote it off at first glance. If it plays as good as it looks, then Nintendo has a potential hit on their hands. So far most if not all of the gameplay impressions have been great.

That's absurd. Comparing 1st year production to lifetime wii u sales alone tells the tale. I'm not incredibly surprised though. Tonight I saw the same person who, a few weeks ago, based on the first 30 minutes (including the village scene) thought Resident Evil 4 was a terrible game because of its out of date graphics say he thought 1-2 switch was a super fun / cool party game and that he wanted a switch for it.

He effectively said 1-2 switch was better than resident evil 4, in his eyes, without realizing it.

What?

Lingitiz

and on the other hand, Kart and Smash were the two games that every was sure were finally gonna help the Wii U pick up steam and move systems. they didn't.

I don't think it's simply good enough software, as much as Nintendo repeats that. It's a combination of good software and an overall console product that's appealing and easy to understand. Marketing is insanely important, and Nintendo is off to a nice start.

I just think the Wii U was already too far gone to escape from the hole that was dug by the time heavy hitters started coming out. Smash was also on the 3DS which I would say satisfied the more casual fan of the franchise.

I wonder if this also shows that they have confidence in their online service? Most notably, do they think virtual console Mario Kart 64 with online play will be super desirable for a lot of people?

It would make my lapsed gamer friends seriously think about picking one up.

Ancirawr

This is really great and all, but I wish they had more units available right now. They seemed to really underestimate demand at launch; I can't find one anywhere and I'm in the pretty packed DFW area.

That's not true at all. It was clear by the time they released that the wii U was already fucked. Also pre release many people were saying that the release of Mario kart and smash bros on 3DS would limit their ability to move consoles.

random25

They just came too late in the console's life.

In the case of Switch and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, it's coming out almost 2 months after launch. So momentum and demand is still there to capitalize.

120v

difference here is the platform has actually "picked up steam"

it's destined to be more successful than Wii U out of the box

big_z

ballsy move by Nintendo considering how thin the lineup is. im not sure they'll be able to maintain momentum and sales but even if they don't I suppose they'll have enough consoles in storage for the generation so its a fairly safe investment for them. probably a good sign there wont be a hardware revision which kind of sucks considering there is room for tweaks that would go a long way.

Bluth54

I'm just curious if the bolded have any real console selling power.

Hard to tell if games like Kart, Pokemon and Smash, despite being juggernauts, are going to get people to cough up $300 to play it on a new system. On one hand, they're old games with a few extras thrown in. On the other hand, nobody bought the Wii U, so it'll be a good chance for many to experience Kart and Smash for the first time.

I have no faith in Arms, Xenoblade 2 will always be niche as fuck, and Pikmin 4 I doubt will be out this year, but we'll see.

Splatoon 2 and Mario will move hardware, no doubt.

It will be interesting to see if Kart (along with Pokemon and Smash if the rumored ports/upgraded versions come out which seem likely) move system. Most of the hardcore Nintendo faithful have already played these games (though no doubt many will play these games again).
Will people who didn't play Mario Kart/Smash/Pokemon be willing to buy a Switch for these games if they didn't buy a Wii U or 3DS? Hard to say, especially since there's new games in the mix too.

D3VI0US

As someone else said I wonder what changed? Is it just a reaction to strong early sales? I mean surely they had visibility on their own first party lineup and titles and knew they would sell out of their 2 million launch allocation. I'm sure they'll announce some more 1st party games at E3 but didn't they already know all that? I feel like it's gotta be 3rd party support, stuff like Monster Hunter, Dragon Quest, Persona, and hopefully some western games too.

If they really do have a monster lineup maybe they can out sell Wii U but even if it's something like 10 million units this year that is one hell of start. How would that compare with PS4?

Either way this is great news and I'm happy for Nintendo that the console is doing well despite what looked like subpar execution on the hardware coupled with a lack of software and 3rd party support. Finally showing the confidence in their hardware which they should have already had from the jump. It's the software that worries me, if all of these huge games are coming out this year then what's coming out next year?

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
holy-sht.gif
Same reaction

Took my Switch to work and played Fast RMX with a colleague in Splitscreen and I let him play some Zelda. He was amazed. He bought a Switch afterwards lol. A friend will buy one when Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is out.

I guess Nintendo did good this time.

jdstorm

Banned
Cool, I want Nintendo to do well. With Zelda, 3D Mario, Mario Kart, Splatoon and maybe Xenoblade 2 all coming in 2017, I really wonder what they'll release in 2018, besides Fire Emblem. Maybe a new Monster Hunter? E3 is going to be pretty exciting.

I want this E3 to give me the feeling that both Wii U and 3DS teams are working together on games for the Switch. I don't have that feeling just yet.

Id say Fire Emblem, Animal Crossing, Mario + Sonic at the Winter Olympics and Mario Party are locks.Throw in a WiiU port or 2 (i believe Tantalus is working on something new) and thats 6 games pretty big games potentially releasing next year.

Then there is the Beyond Good and Evil 2 Rumour. Say there is a 2nd paid 3rd party exclusive.
FFVI remastered was rumoured on GAF a while ago
Thats 8. Throw in 4 new/reimagined IPs and thats a pretty solid year.

jonno394

It will be interesting to see if Kart (along with Pokemon and Smash if the rumored ports/upgraded versions come out which seem likely) move system. Most of the hardcore Nintendo faithful have already played these games (though no doubt many will play these games again).
Will people who didn't play Mario Kart/Smash/Pokemon be willing to buy a Switch for these games if they didn't buy a Wii U or 3DS? Hard to say, especially since there's new games in the mix too.

The way i look at Mario Kart is that 8m people bought it on the Wii U. 16m people bought Mario kart 7 on 3DS. There are currently 8m handheld gamers who never bought it that may have an interest in More Mario Kart on the go.

I am also one of those rare Wii U owners who never owned MK 8. I'll be buying deluxe.

I think it'll outsell the Wii U version when all is said and done.

R00bot

Okay... but are they fixing the build quality issues?

The build quality isn't really much worse than the average Nintendo console, and it's miles better than say the 360 at launch. As usual, those with defective units are hundreds of times more vocal than the majority with perfectly functioning consoles.

D3VI0US

It's a product that people actually want.

The Wii U was doomed the day it was unveiled, no body wanted that Gamepad. Not even Nintendo devs.

I didn't own a Wii U but Nintendoland was something we went back to a couple times a year for the life of the console and possibly after. There really was something to that off screen play but not enough to base a whole console on.

Way more fun in a social setting than 1 2 Switch will ever be. The non gamer friends I played with really got into it but even they thought it was thin and I know the people below my friend's apartment hated it.

The build quality isn't really much worse than the average Nintendo console, and it's miles better than say the 360 at launch. As usual, those with defective units are hundreds of times more vocal than the majority with perfectly functioning consoles.

Also I have a screwy left JoyCon and I don't really care. So there are some of us who are happy with the hardware despite the flaws.

T-0800

Fix the docking problems and they can add another one to that total. I'm not buying one until I feel confident that it won't get damaged.

timshundo

Sometimes I'm like "hmmm has nintendo learned anything these past few years" but all I gotta do is look at the left side of my desk and then the right side and I have my answer. This news makes me proud of them!

2jxbrRI.jpg

Splatoon setup (minus display) 2015 vs Splatoon setup 2017

nubbe

Switch is going do to 3DS numbers at a minimum.
It has the software to manage that and it's a practical pice of hardware that's highly usable for many people.

massoluk

Banned
Fix the docking problems and they can add another one to that total. I'm not buying one until I feel confident that it won't get damaged.
Not that it isn't an awful oversight, but if that's all that keeping you, you could just stick some rubber/anti scratch pad in the dock.

Fonds

I'd say not being able to charge while kickstand is up, the empty plastic shell of a dock, the screen scratching and ability to connect the joycons the wrong way around are worth a redesign.
And not being worse than your average console is never an excuse to not fix things.

Top Bottom