• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WSJ: Nintendo now to manufacture 16 million Switch consoles next FY, up from 8m

Bluth54

The way i look at Mario Kart is that 8m people bought it on the Wii U. 16m people bought Mario kart 7 on 3DS. There are currently 8m handheld gamers who never bought it that may have an interest in More Mario Kart on the go.

I am also one of those rare Wii U owners who never owned MK 8. I'll be buying deluxe.

I think it'll outsell the Wii U version when all is said and done.

Oh yeah I think the Switch will outsell the Wii U (and everyone can agree the Switch would be a huge failure if it didn't outsell the Wii U or even got similar sales).
I have doubts it will hit 3DS numbers, unless it sells fairly well and has multiple revisions.

I think somewhere between Gamecube to N64 numbers are the most realistic system sale numbers to expect at this point, though you can never be sure with Nintendo.

Oh yeah I think the Switch will outsell the Wii U (and everyone can agree the Switch would be a huge failure if it didn't outsell the Wii U or even got similar sales).
I have doubts it will hit 3DS numbers, unless it sells fairly well and has multiple revisions.

I think somewhere between Gamecube to N64 numbers are the most realistic system sale numbers to expect at this point, though you can never be sure with Nintendo.
Isnt switch slated to sell 50% of n64 lifetime sales in its first year, if they sell the units they ship?

Lingitiz

I'd say not being able to charge while kickstand is up, the empty plastic shell of a dock, the screen scratching and ability to connect the joycons the wrong way around are worth a redesign.
And not being worse than your average console is never an excuse to not fix things.

I don' think they're worth an immediate redesign like a lot of people are suggesting. They will certainly do one and I think the Switch will eventually span a family of systems like the 3DS did. But I don't think they're going to get all reactionary and make a Switch XL by the end of the year.

Vitacat

Go, Ninty, go. Best system they've ever made IMO, and although I sadly missed the NES (I was old enough, but had an Amiga so...), I've been playing Nintendo systems since the 1st Gameboy. Can't wait to see what Nintendo does on the Switch over the next few years.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
😀😀😀

so happy to see a bright future for a line of Nintendo handhelds with unified internal dev support.

qko

If as many people claim Nintendo to be their secondary console to their PC/PS4/XBO because of their first party games, then Nintendo is doing a good job pumping those games out:

March: Zelda
April: MK8D
May/June: ARMS
June/July: Splatoon
August/September: Possibly Unannounced E3 Game
October: Either Pokémon or some other WiiU port (Smash?)
November/December: Super Mario Odyssey/ BotW Second Quest (DLC)

Add in a bunch of indies and games like FIFA/NBA2K/Skyrim and if Nintendo doesn't up production, this thing might be sold out till next year.

Sure, a game like Splatoon or ARMS might be more popular in Japan. In that case Nintendo sends more units there over the summer until the Western Sports games launch in August/September.

gconsole

Well. 4 of my friends who never own Nintendo machine bought it. They are not even harecore gamer and now t hey are playing Zelda. My other friend saw me playing it the other day and ask me if this thing can play youtube cause he wanna buy it ( we play othello together ).

I mean the machine has that kind of appeal. It gets people attention. I cant imagine if Switch start getting proper app and game.

devonodev

and on the other hand, Kart and Smash were the two games that every was sure were finally gonna help the Wii U pick up steam and move systems. they didn't.

i'm also curious how this year's gonna shake out
Hopefully the chalkboard doesn't need to make a return.

Shiggy

That's 2 mio more than the 3DS sold in its best year. Not sure if they are planning to drop the price or if they are just very optimistic about the Christmas season.

The current demand in Europe wouldn't let me think it's the next Wii over here.

Haha to people who said Nintendo would not get casuals again.

Wait for the unannounced gems to drop at e3 and more directs.

I am just waiting for some kind of official bundle with arms or Mario kart and I will get this.

jonno394

Haha to people who said Nintendo would not get casuals again.

Wait for the unannounced gems to drop at e3 and more directs.

I am just waiting for some kind of official bundle with arms or Mario kart and I will get this.

Heh, these signs of success aren't what the super experts from NeoGAF told me.

Well, they haven't got the casuals again yet or had success that wasn't really expected, so don't celebrate just yet. They've had a decent launch so far, that's it really.

Seems a bit early to be doubling production, I'd personally be going more cautiously conservative so as to keep demand high, but hey, if they can sell it all, then great!

Chittagong

Gold Member
I am pleased to hear this. Switch is such an awesome console. Can't believe I'm going to be playing Splatoon 2 in a week. It really is everything I want from a console, don't care if it's not PS4 powerful.

Well, they haven't got the casuals again yet or had success that wasn't really expected, so don't celebrate just yet. They've had a decent launch so far, that's it really.
Completely anecdotal, but a dude at work saw a coworker's switch, and said he was going to buy one for his kids, as the kids want to game when they travel, but they don't want to bring the xboxs along. He loved the two player out of box ability.

I hope there are some options in place to cut down on numbers of things don't go as well as planned. Don't want to end up with a lot of unsold stock like Wii U.

Good news though! Here's to hoping it continues to sell well.

massoluk

Banned
Completely anecdotal, but a dude at work saw a coworker's switch, and said he was going to buy one for his kids, as the kids want to game when they travel, but they don't want to bring the xboxs along. He loved the two player out of box ability.
It is a portable system where you can hand a second controller to a total stranger sitting next to you on a whim, you couldn't ask for a better word of mouth experience.

Shengar

The Wii casuals audience probably gone now, but Switch sure is managed to get the attention of bigger core audience than the Wii U ever was. That itself already promised a more successful sale than the Wii U.

Man whose got all those "Switch won't outsell Wii U", "Switch won't sell 10 -15 million by 2018" posts. I can't wait to come back to those posts from certain topics. 😂

Zedark

These numbers are massive. I would weigh in on its feasibility but I have no clue whether it is at all possible. This would make the fiscal year sales for Switch close to PS4 sales, so that is a tall order indeed. I also think this news puts more credence into the Pokémon rumour, since they will need their biggest system seller of the moment in order to achieve this.

NoPiece

ballsy move by Nintendo considering how thin the lineup is. im not sure they'll be able to maintain momentum and sales but even if they don't I suppose they'll have enough consoles in storage for the generation so its a fairly safe investment for them. probably a good sign there wont be a hardware revision which kind of sucks considering there is room for tweaks that would go a long way.

There is no doubt the lineup is very thin now, and will be for a for a while. But by Q4 it should be looking good. The value proposition as a Christmas gift with a Zelda, 3d Mario, Mario Kart, and Splatoon all available will be really strong.

Nestunt

This shows, to me, that they are likely to start putting 3DS aside and release Pokemon and Monster Hunter on the Switch. With this, they would have a two front strategy with Mobile phones as the other.

Femto.

This is cool, will they fix the issues with the JoyCon disconnects and address the dock scratching issue?

Holding off because of that.

Man whose got all those "Switch won't outsell Wii U", "Switch won't sell 10 -15 million by 2018" posts. I can't wait to come back to those posts from certain topics. 😂

I find it hard to believe that this was a prediction. The portability alone made it highly likely to be more successful than the Wii U.

Mokujin

If their forecast are right is going to be so fun to look back at all those doomsayers
comments.

I really hope it goes well, good sales mean more support and more games,

This is cool, will they fix the issues with the JoyCon disconnects and address the dock scratching issue?

Holding off because of that.
Yeah, same here. If they're increasing production by this much, one has to assume that they are taking care of the problems. But then again this is Nintendo so who knows, really.

Genocyber

Now is still a good time to buy Nintendo shares before the stock price heads north of ¥30,000.

On this positive news Nintendo's shares have already risen by 1.69%.

Shengar

I find it hard to believe that this was a prediction. The portability alone made it highly likely to be more successful than the Wii U.

There was a lot of hyperbole, and since Wii U is a special case of failure, I can't take anyone who predict Switch going to do lot worse than Wii U seriously.

weekev

Banned
Man I can't wait for e3. Pokémon/animal crossing/smash and the surprise of the show Rabbids kingdom. Plus whatever Retro is working on.

TNH853

anchorman_well_that_escalated_quickly_966_u18chan.jpg

great for nintendo. lets see how much 3rd party support they will get now.

My wife likes 1 2 Switch more than Resident Evil 4. By a huge margin. There are many different types of gamers.
Yeah I hear your argument and agree there are different gamers. He is a hardcore gamer obsessed with graphics though, which is where this reaction gave me pause. It was a universal fun moment, which is rare these days.

KAOz

Short bus special
Nintendo has one of the best exclusive first year Launchlineup in gaming history and you can't order the switch online anywhere in my country(or even the whole EU). I still think it will sell 50 mil. units or more within 5 years.

Whole EU?

Now that's a lie.

Just went through most Swedish retailers homepages. Free to grab both online and in stock in their stores to snag.

spekkeh

Banned
Good news. Of course how it really plays out is anyone's guess, but I've been bullish on it before, when everyone here was still shitting on it, and I've only become more confident since. I'm getting lots of sideways glances, even from women, when I play the console on the train. I took 1-2 Switch to work last week and had a crowd forming around us in no time, and totally unrelated two days ago I heard from a non gamer friend that he had been f5ing four different online stores the past week and was finally able to pick one up.

Clear messaging
Sleek hardware
Zelda

These are the most important ones, but also the multiplayer on the go is a genius way of getting people acquainted with the system, and the concept is a lot easier to grasp.

With Wii U it was 'well you have asymmetric information streams, leading to a sort of invisible shared magic circle in between different players, you can't see it and I can't show it really, but it should lead to some novel emergent gameplay dynamics'. Good luck explaining that to anyone without a PhD in play. With Switch it's you can play fucking massive Zelda in HD in the train. Bitches.

But perhaps one of the most decisive arguments I haven't really seen anyone discuss, is that handhelds are declining because people don't want to pay for handheld games extra. You're getting the console games for €60, and then need to pay an extra €40 for a more watered down gameplay experience for traveling, and half the time you forgot to charge the damn thing or would rather read the news on your phone. This can't compete with F2P or €2 time wasters. That's why mobile was eating the handheld's launch, it's much cheaper. With Switch, the handheld games are essentially free. You would be buying the console experience anyway, but now also get to play with it in handheld mode. That's a lot of added value, without the compromises of playing shitty time wasters.

Top Bottom