• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WSJ: Nintendo now to manufacture 16 million Switch consoles next FY, up from 8m

Vinnk

Preference and quality are different concepts. By a huge margin.

100% Totally agree. But a sale is a sale. And since this is a sales thread I figured it could be stated. There are people who bought the Switch not for Zelda but for that Party Game.

Haha to people who said Nintendo would not get casuals again.

Wait for the unannounced gems to drop at e3 and more directs.

I am just waiting for some kind of official bundle with arms or Mario kart and I will get this.

Production doesn't equal sales, they once estimated they were going to sell 9 million Wii U in a year and had to lower it.

yuraya

Remember how everyone was laughing at this image:

mgm8o9v.jpg

Looks like Nintendo is gunning to surpass those WW Xbox one numbers. And it'll probably happen a lot sooner than people think.

Seriously tho its a smart move for them. They have no competition in Japan. With the right price and the right software the Switch could probably push Gameboy/DS #s over there. Sony should really consider a successor to the PSP/Vita or else Nintendo will dominate that region for the foreseeable future.

starmud

We know the animal crossing app while delayed isn't that far off and works with a game in the series, seeing the switch version this upcoming FY seems more than likely

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

Looks like Nintendo is gunning to surpass those WW Xbox one numbers. And it'll probably happen a lot sooner than people think.

Seriously tho its a smart move for them. They have no competition in Japan. With the right price and the right software the Switch could probably push Gameboy/DS #s over there. Sony should really consider a successor to the PSP/Vita or else Nintendo will dominate that region for the foreseeable future.

There's no way Sony will make a Vita successor. Especially when they have started venturing into VR.

jonno394

I really don't get posts like this, it's like asking for Nintendo to fail just so your post spectacularly backfires. Ramping up production is no sign of success so in no way is there an indication that it'll surpass Xbox One sales.

Eolz

16m?!
It's not another WiiU, but Jesus Nintendo, you're gonna sit on unsold stock again at this rate... Let's hope it does that well, but still.

gamerMan

For a portable console, the hardware is amazing and I hope that 3rd party developers start looking at the Switch now that it is starting to take off. Nintendo has done its job by showing everybody in industry that they have still got it. Forget about the pundits, that called this a "weak" launch. They couldn't be more clueless. Now Nintendo needs to show us more software. People will flip if we get a reinvention of Metroid and we all know it is coming.

All this talk of "a turd" and yet so much overlap in the library.

While software sells hardware, if the hardware itself is incredibly undesirable, the best software on earth can't really fix that, especially once a negative stigma has taken hold. Wii U was seen as a joke within months of its release and that never went away.

syeefoo

Neo Member
Aye.. Good news if this is a sure news (not a 'plan to' )

That's means most likely the 1st party games are all on schedule and 3rd parties on board!! (The system seller Mario, Pokemon and MonHun)

Clefargle

Lol, will it be 2020 before people stop suggesting this? Hilariously bad idea and not what they are trying to do right now.

So they ramp up production. I bet they aren't even trying to sell those units, because how else could they possibly keep the artificial scarcity?

Bluth54

Isnt switch slated to sell 50% of n64 lifetime sales in its first year, if they sell the units they ship?

Honestly it feels a little early for such a big jump in production for the Switch, especially for a company as conservative as Nintendo. Yeah the system did well at launch, but that's not really hard to do unless you have a huge mis-step at launch.

Mik2121

Dunno about their countries but here in Japan so many people seem to be so thirsty for a Switch! I was able to get mine today at a chain store that got their restock at lunch and was sold out about 2 hours later apparently (from a friend that tried to go to the same place later on). It's been sold out everywhere since release date and every time some store restocks it sells out in a couple hours tops.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Honestly it feels a little early for such a big jump in production for the Switch, especially for a company as conservative as Nintendo. Yeah the system did well at launch, but that's not really hard to do unless you have a huge mis-step at launch.
im pretty sure they're basing this decision on more than just decent launch sales, they must be aware of how much demand the switch is currently having

Intel_89

I guess they didn't expect such a high demand, which is a little bit conflicting. Were they that pesimistic about the piece of hardware they were putting out and supporting for the next 4+ years?

We need dem games.

yuraya

There's no way Sony will make a Vita successor. Especially when they have started venturing into VR.

It would be a mistake imo. Just look at the Switch. The tech is there to make powerful handheld. And its only going to get better in time. By the end of next year (or 2019) Sony could probably release an affordable handheld that could run all your PS4 games. They should compete or at least make an effort.

Kolx

Almost no third party big games in a year full of them. Higher price point than the PS4 and XOne. Expecting a Wii success is a bald move considering their current situation.

It would be a mistake imo. Just look at the Switch. The tech is there to make powerful handheld. And its only going to get better in time. By the end of next year (or 2019) Sony could probably release an affordable handheld that could run all your PS4 games. They should compete or at least make an effort.

The vita was quite powerful at the time for a handheld tho. Power means nothing without games.

Pepboy

I can see Switch selling gangbusters once it closes in on that $200-$250 price point.

Doubling production might help them get there... Economies of scale and all. Though if their production chain is not solid, doubling can lead to a lot of unexpected costs too. But since the main hardware is not so different from tablets I think it will help them.

onQ123

I'll admit that I didn't believe in the Switch being a big success at 1st but it seems that Nintendo has it's mojo back .

After 1 month of sales? Seems a bit early to make a decision like that.

Yeah it does. But i would imagine that the Switch has passed a lot of internal markers that companies use to see how well a console is doing at certain times during it's lifespan. The news around the Switch is generally really positive at the moment, barring joy-con issues which i would imagine they could rectify pretty soon if need be. Does seem like a big jump though!

Youre missing the point. Theyd need to release a ps4 that was also portable. Not a handheld that played ps4 games.

Maximus.

Nintendo has done something great and just need to continue to make the right moves to keep it on track and maintain the momentum and overall positive vibes/curiosity.

Imagine a portable PS4 with a Blu-Ray drive.

You say that based on what? Nintendo ramping up their production numbers? As if Nintendo was not constantly sitting on unsold WiiU's because they continuously overestimated how many they were going to sell.

It can only be said again and again that from a mere two weeks of post-launch sales you cannot say anything about the success of a console. And both Xbox One and PS4 seem to have sold more systems around their launch (in the US at least).

Let's wait a few months and see how those sales are going to develop. Right now I see absolutely no hype levels anywhere near the Wii. Can only shake my head at people making that comparison. As if soccer moms are lining up trying to find a Switch for their kids...

And I am saying that having bought a launch day Switch btw. and wishing Nintendo all the success in the world. But not with that launch year lineup, not on earth.

jariw

We know the animal crossing app while delayed isn't that far off and works with a game in the series, seeing the switch version this upcoming FY seems more than likely

The huge number of Animal Crossing avatars that are available in the Switch user config also seem to point towards that.

Jacobson

The huge number of Animal Crossing avatars that are available in the Switch user config also seem to point towards that.

huh, never thought of that. imagine the reaction if they put in even 1 pokemon-related avatar lol. people would go nuts

Matbtz

This holidays : Mario Odyssey, Zelda BotW, Mario Kart 8, Splatoon 2, Arms, a huge amount of indies and maybe Xenoblade 2 not too far away + potential bundle
= This thing will sell like hotcakes imo (I would bet 10M at the end of 2017)

Shiggy

They announced the 9m production after the launch ? I don't remember it clearly tbh.

Then you shouldn't make up such statements if you don't remember it. They announced the 9m goal for the FY2013 in April 2013. By then they already had 4-5 months of sales data and had already reduced their forecast for the previous year.

In the end they sold 2.7 mio instead of 9 mio that year.

Top Bottom