• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Breaks Xbox Black Friday Records; Windows 10 Gaming Continues To Rise

xabbott

SAAS. Get used to seeing that acronym when it comes to anything MS going forward because they bet the horse on it.

Almost everyone making software is. Even on mobile, enterprise, etc. Those who haven't got a SAAS strategy are probably going to be the minority.

MaulerX

Ya'll are sleeping on that deal MS had with a free game and controller at the beginning of the month

Exactly. I called Gamestop to see if they had the Elite controller. The manager told me they didn't have any but I could trade my old XB1 for $250 and anything else I had for the Elite bundle. I got the Elite bundle, got a free game and extra controller. He said he was telling everyone that called asking for the Elite controller. It might not mean anything but still.

allan-bh

22% over BF not the whole month and second best week in 15 years of xbox history... but the way it's worded means that it likely includes x1+x360

Xbox One console sales at retail were up 22 percent over the same period last year, making it the second biggest Black Friday week in 15 years of Xbox history in the U.S.

For me is pretty clear they're talking only about Xbox One.

Unless you love Assassin's Creed, I don't see how last year would qualify as "far better".

Do you not understand what "relatively" means? Last year the Xbox dropped from 500$ to 330$ + multiple games and even gift cards and such beyond that in a relatively short amount of time.

This year they dropped from 350 to 300.

Relatively speaking, last year was much better, regardless of what the actual $ value is.

But what's the point in releasing the PR now then? If they were going to be the top seller wouldn't they have waited for NPD?

Pretty sure they just want to keep the hype rolling and investors happy with early looks, but this isn't the first time MS has released early information gathered from their own digital network, storefronts, and their data from retailers directly.

etta

my hard graphic balls
To be honest if you are MS right now who really cares if they beat Sony or not. If they beat last years 1.2 million for November those are healthy as hell hardware sales.

Not to take anything from Sony, they are doing phenomenal but this is great news for the platform
Sure, it's great and all. But Halo, and Sony not having any huge exclusives, though Call of Duty and Star Wars were big, should have meant that Xbox would have a very easy time winning October, November and December.

Elios83

As stated in the other thread it's a bunch of stats with no mention of any actual win, neither for BF nor for the month. So you can draw your conclusions.
I hope they will cross the 1m milestone for November, we need strong home consoles to keep publishers interested in making certain games.

Sure, it's great and all. But Halo, and Sony not having any huge exclusives, though Call of Duty and Star Wars were big, should have meant that Xbox would have a very easy time winning October, November and December.

Why would it be easy to win those months when it isnt the cumulative sales leader in NA?

I mean these numbers are essentially impossible to spin negatively

allan-bh

As stated in the other thread it's a bunch of stats with no mention of any actual win, neither for BF nor for the month. So you can draw your conclusions.
I hope they will cross the 1m milestone for November, we need strong home consoles to keep publishers interested in making certain games.

Too close to call if InfoScout was accurate. About the full month I think no one is expecting Xbox One in the lead.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Why would it be easy to win those months when it isnt the cumulative sales leader in NA?

I mean these numbers are essentially impossible to spin negatively
Because it won last year without Halo 5, the biggest exclusive they have?
Again, I am not saying the numbers are bad or underwhelming, the relative numbers are unexpected in my opinion.

Wagram

I have no evidence to support this, but i'm sure Microsoft would know if they've "won" November or even Black Friday by now. They have retail partners who have information and it's not hard to determine based on the information they provide.

border

Do you not understand what "relatively" means? Last year the Xbox dropped from 500$ to 330$ + multiple games and even gift cards and such beyond that in a relatively short amount of time.

This year they dropped from 350 to 300.

Relatively speaking, last year was much better, regardless of what the actual $ value is.

Do you really think consumers are gauging these deals in relative terms rather than absolute terms? For most people it's going to be "How much money is this going to cost me?" rather than "What percent of a discount am I getting?"

Xbox was $400 as of ~May 2014, so I don't think it's fair to say that Black Friday saw a drop from $500......especially since that drop came with the exclusion of Kinect hardware. The price was lower, but the value decreased as well.

allan-bh

I have no evidence to support this, but i'm sure Microsoft would know if they've "won" November or even Black Friday by now. They have retail partners who have information and it's not hard to determine based on the information they provide.

It is hard if the internal data shows a number very similar for PS4.

MaulerX

Of course they do. Before NPD started charging for it's data MS would actually say in their PR's if they'd won BF or November ahead of NPD day. Now Sony nor Microsoft don't do it because they don't want to undermine NPD since they now charge for it.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
What are we supposed to take from the gaming hour stat?

How many people are using the XB1 and for how long. For example, with ftp games coming in fashion on consoles, it might dictate where a game like Hearthstone may show up first.

A developer might not be necessarily interested in the most systems out there, they might be more interested in who is active on a particular system the longest.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Xbox One console sales at retail were up 22 percent over the same period last year, making it the second biggest Black Friday week in 15 years of Xbox history in the U.S.

For me is pretty clear they're talking only about Xbox One.

Don't agree. Those sales (of XOs, rising 22% etc. etc.) helped making it the 2nd best week ever. Excluding (probably still healthy) Xbox 360 BF sales from the total when talking about Xbox's history wouldn't make any sense.

jjonez18

Sounds good to me. Man, with Xbox enjoying a high point from BC, NXOE, and " The Best Lineup in Xbox History". US sales in November should be impressive. Same goes for PS4 with CoD, Battlefront, and pricecut. Should be healthy numbers all around. Still close in my mind. I'm seeing a scenario where PS4 had the better 3/4 weeks and wasn't too far behind XB1 on BF.

Welfare

Best Xbox Black Friday Week: 2011 (960k)

Second Best Black Friday Week: 2012 (750k)

Xbox One in BF 2015 is now the new second best with more than 750k sold.

Hot damn.

It's doing more than 1.23m this month. The guys in the prediction thread should adjust accordingly.

Don't agree. Those sales (of XOs, rising 22% etc. etc.) helped making it the 2nd best week ever. Excluding (probably still healthy) Xbox 360 BF sales from the total when talking about Xbox's history wouldn't make any sense.
I don't understand the confusion. They literally say
U.S. Xbox One console sales at retail were up 22 percent over the same period last year, making it the second biggest Black Friday week in 15 years of Xbox history in the U.S.
360 is dead at this point.

jfoul

The Gears bundle is essentially 3.5 free games though, isn't it?

If I remember correctly, the Microsoft Store deal was $299 and had the following. The 1TB Bundles were $349, and some select games also gave a $10 MS Store credit.

• Xbox One 500GB with Gears of War: Ultimate Edition
  • Gears of War BC Collection (1, 2 , 3, Judgement)
  • Choice of one free game
  • $60 Microsoft Store Gift Card/Credit

Javin98

Banned
Hmm, second best selling Black Friday in XBox history is pretty impressive, but there are no mentions of the XB1 winning Black Friday at all. Seems like either the PS4 barely outsold the XB1 during Black Friday or both were extremely close to me. Either way, I'm still thinking the PS4 took the month overall.

jfoul

Hmm, second best selling Black Friday in XBox history is pretty impressive, but there are no mentions of the XB1 winning Black Friday at all. Seems like either the PS4 barely outsold the XB1 during Black Friday or both were extremely close to me. Either way, I'm still thinking the PS4 took the month overall.

Yeah, this is my thinking as well. Great for the market all around.

Karak

Wait did Sony say they did? I though the real NPD's were later than this.

hawk2025

It's pretty crazy that the Xbox sales were so big, and this is actually still in question regardless.

1.2 million+ for both this month might actually happen. That would be nuts.

Elios83

Too close to call if InfoScout was accurate. About the full month I think no one is expecting Xbox One in the lead.

Tbh there are many predictions with XB over PS4 in the other thread though ;)
Btw I also think that for BF they were close but not so close they couldn't tell who won, which doesn't make a lot of sense if you consider how there are NPD months with a 10k winning margin and still a winner is claimed. If they aren't claiming anything it means they know they lost, likely by a bit based on what we know but they lost. Could be 830k vs 800k who knows.

Javin98

Banned
Wait did Sony say they did? I though the real NPD's were later than this.
No, Sony hasn't said anything, but we all know that Microsoft likes shouting from the rooftops if they win something. The fact that they didn't leads me to those two scenarios.

It's pretty crazy that the Xbox sales were so big, and this is actually still in question regardless.

1.2 million+ for both this month might actually happen. That would be nuts.
I think the PS4 should definitely reach 1.2 million in November, but XB1, I'm not sure yet. I still think the XB1 will be down YoY.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Hot damn.

It's doing more than 1.23m this month. The guys in the prediction thread should adjust accordingly.

I don't understand the confusion. They literally say

360 is dead at this point.

There's no confusion on my part. There's zero chance Microsoft wouldn't use cumulative X1+X360 sales to boost a bigger number, zero chance. It literally says x1 numbers rising meant they were able to achieve the 2nd biggest xbox week ever and well duh they wouldn't mention dwindling X360 sales in the same sentence but from a pr, logical perspective and heck even how it's worded I don't see how you can say that "yeah, obviously they're gonna put x360 sales in the bin cause who the hell needs those sales, definitely not Microsoft for their Xbox division because who cares about the 360 anymore".
It's naive to say the least to think that.

Replace that pr with one from Sony and you'd get basically the same thing, just that they would refer to it as Playstation's family because that's how they've always worded it since a few years back.

HUELEN10

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Microsoft deserves every bit of their success, they've worked hard and earned it with a consumer-friendly Value-Conscious, forward-thinking, and feature-driven reimagine of the Xbox brand and hardware.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Hot damn.

How do you figure? Sales were dead until BF week. Say they did 100k leading up to BF week, 750k more is no where 1.2m. Last year they rode into BF with a new $350 price point, they had a strong month, not just a strong week.

Madness

All these percentages.

Why can't they just give us real numbers?

Seriously. I get why they won't, but we're at the point where we at least need some concrete numbers. I hate the obfuscatory PR wording.

But why would they? Especially when there is a legion of fanboys/trolls/shills willing to use it for or against them instantly?

allan-bh

There's no confusion on my part. There's zero chance Microsoft wouldn't use cumulative X1+X360 sales to boost a bigger number, zero chance. It literally says x1 numbers rising meant they were able to achieve the 2nd biggest xbox week ever and well duh they wouldn't mention dwindling X360 sales in the same sentence but from a pr, logical perspective and heck even how it's worded I don't see how you can say that "yeah, obviously they're gonna put x360 sales in the bin cause who the hell needs those sales, definitely not Microsoft for their Xbox division because who cares about the 360 anymore".
It's naive to say the least to think that.

I don't follow... PR says Xbox One sales, why are you including X360 when MS clearly specified it's Xbox One sales?

Top Bottom