• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Breaks Xbox Black Friday Records; Windows 10 Gaming Continues To Rise

panda-zebra

Banned
Hot damn.

It's doing more than 1.23m this month. The guys in the prediction thread should adjust accordingly.

Guys in the prediction thread say BF weekend accounts for the vast majority of November sales. This PR relates to a full week period (unsure which 7 days exactly) from a 28 day month. If the previous 2nd place was 750k, theres a 200k+ window where the new 2nd place could lie. I'm not saying your 1.23m will be incorrect, just see a possible range that could have a lower end far from that.

Yeah I don't think PS4 is going to win November or December NPD at this point.

Sony should just pack it up at this point and concentrate on ps5, amirite?

"making it" the second best BF week in Xbox history.

What is making? Xbox One. For me the phrase doesn't allow to include Xbox 360.

It is the week, not the console.

The PR says that Xbox One sales were up "making it" the second best BF week in Xbox history.

What is making? Xbox One. For me the phrase doesn't allow to include Xbox 360. Maybe an english professor could clear up.

360 sales probably was very low.
What about the phrase "second-biggest week for XBox" doesn't allow for the inclusion of the 360? Was the 360 not part of this week? Pretty sure it was.

allan-bh

What about the phrase "second-biggest week for XBox" doesn't allow for the inclusion of the 360? Was the 360 not part of this week? Pretty sure it was.

The part that says that Xbox One sales are up making it the second bigger BF week. I know that "it" is the week, and "making" is Xbox One sales.

You should note that in other parts of the PR Microsoft mentions Xbox 360, but in this part not because they're talking about Xbox One sales alone.

Knuf

MS PR translation:
"We have been slaughtered both on Black Friday and in November."

My personal feeling is that Black Friday was close, even though they lost, but for the whole month PS4 won by a landslide.

No, I read but don't agree with you.
Just cuz, eh? =/

Sorry, but there's nothing to indicate that entire paragraph refers to anything other than the collective performance of XBox. You're being distracted with the "primary motivator" red herring.

Mission accomplished, Larry. Spin carefully, and you mislead effectively.
Seriously, does this crap only work in English? =/

panda-zebra

Banned
Obviously not. Just my prediction for NPD the next two months.

Not so sure myself, I believe this PR would have read very differently if that was likely for November.

It's way too early to call December as Microsoft have yet to fully detail their plan of attack afaict.

allan-bh

Just cuz, eh? =/

Sorry, but there's nothing to indicate that entire paragraph refers to anything other than the collective performance of XBox. You're being distracted with the "primary motivator" red herring.

Mission accomplished, Larry. Spin carefully, and you mislead effectively.
Seriously, does this crap only work in English? =/

Not needed, you just have one interpretation and I have another.

If it were "collective performance" they could actually mention Xbox 360 like they did in other parts of the PR, but they didn't.

Not needed, you just have one interpretation and I have another.

If it were "collective performance" they could actually mention Xbox 360 like they did in other parts of the PR, but they didn't.
They did mention the 360. It's part of "XBox," which just had its second-best Black Friday ever, thanks to the increase in Bone sales.

FX-GMC

They did mention the 360. It's part of "XBox," which just had its second-best Black Friday ever, thanks to the increase in Bone sales.

Almost. It says over and over "Black Friday week".

Xbox One console sales at retail were up 22 percent over the same period last year, making it the second biggest Black Friday week in 15 years of Xbox history in the U.S.

It = Black Friday Week

Almost. It says over and over "Black Friday week".

It = Black Friday Week
Yes, sorry. I'm on my phone, and I got tired of typing "week" again and again. :p But I think we've established that's what we're discussing now. The question is whether he was referring to the best week for XBox or the best week for an XBox.

viHuGi

Banned
MS PR translation:
"We have been slaughtered both on Black Friday and in November."

My personal feeling is that Black Friday was close, even though they lost, but for the whole month PS4 won by a landslide.

Being slaughtered and having those sales i Don't think they care.

allan-bh

Xbox is in reference of the Original Xbox, Xbox 360 and Xbox One, the 3 systems that makes 15 years of Xbox history. In the part of making the record of the second bigger sales on black friday week they only mentioned Xbox One.

In other parts they literally mentioned Xbox 360 combined with Xbox One.

"sales in the Xbox Store broke records with an increase of 57 percent across Xbox One and Xbox 360"

"total paid unique users in the Xbox Store also broke records with an increase of 55 percent across Xbox One and Xbox 360"

If the objective was spin, why they only did that for hardware sales and not overall?

SwolBro

Banned
I get that MS wants to focus on customer engagement, but parsing through this release is difficult without some proper sales info. It seems like they're dancing around the issue big time.

What issues? they're selling well. I don't get this shit.

SwolBro

Banned
So.... It broke all the records we don't want to know about?

No admission of hardware win of any kind. Oh MS. :)

Out of pure curiousity has any company, in any sector, come out on a PR statement and announce "our sales were this and this for this month, but we lost to our rivals here and here and here. These are the numbers"

The outrage culture over PR announcements is a bit perplexing to me.

Knuf

Being slaughtered and having those sales i Don't think they care.

Oh, I know, they only care about MAUs now.

w3uMmqr.gif

36c.gif

Xbox is in reference of the Original Xbox, Xbox 360 and Xbox One, the 3 systems that makes 15 years of Xbox history. In the part of making the record of the second bigger sales on black friday week they only mentioned Xbox One.

"sales in the Xbox Store broke records with an increase of 57 percent across Xbox One and Xbox 360"

"total paid unique users in the Xbox Store also broke records with an increase of 55 percent across Xbox One and Xbox 360"

If the objective was spin, why they only did that for hardware sales and not overall?
Because the objective was spin? /face-palm

So you agree that "Xbox" refers to XB1, XB2, and XB3, yes? So if he's talking about how well "XBox" did this week (thanks to our hero, XB3), then he's talking about how well XB3 and XB2 did, and if they moved any XB1 last week, he's counting those too.

The Xbox One's sales contributed to the biggest Black Friday week in Xbox (meaning all of xbox's releases) history. Until the 360 is no longer sold it will be counted when comparing timed metrics against the full history of Xbox.

TBiddy

What issues? they're selling well. I don't get this shit.

The "issue" is that they are "losing" the "war".

The XB1 is selling at around the same pace as the 360. I'd say that is a success. Only reason it looks bad is because the PS4 is doing mindboggingly good.

allan-bh

Because the objective was spin? /face-palm

So you agree that "Xbox" refers to XB1, XB2, and XB3, yes? So if he's talking about how well "XBox" did this week (thanks to our hero, XB3), then he's talking about how well XB3 and XB2 did, and if they moved any XB1 last week, he's counting those too.

So, they wanted to make spin for Xbox One but only did in one part, for the others they choose talk about the less impressive Xbox One + Xbox 360 combo... Ok.

And no, MS is saying how well Xbox One did in Xbox's BF history.

allan-bh

The Xbox One's sales contributed to the biggest Black Friday week in Xbox (meaning all of xbox's releases) history. Until the 360 is no longer sold it will be counted when comparing timed metrics against the full history of Xbox.

"Contributed" would definitely meant what you are saying, but that's not the word on PR.

"Making" doesn't imply necessarily that is combined with Xbox 360.

anothertech

Oh the circles ms spins it's fans in! So many falling for it too.

It's really quite easy to figure it out though. 90% of the sales were digital. So the second place record actually beat the first place record by millions.

panda-zebra

Banned
So, they wanted to make spin for Xbox One but only did in one part, for the others they choose talk about the less impressive Xbox One + Xbox 360 combo... Ok.

They aren't averse to mixing and matching their metrics to present a rosier picture to suit any particular claim.

That these PR statements trigger such back-and-forth claim and counter-claim is telling in itself.

When salesGAFers can't get to the meat of the information, you can bet the audience it's actually created for is well and truly "informed".

No, dude, he spun you, when he said, "Thanks to the Bone…" because he tricked you in to thinking he suddenly wasn't including the 360 anymore, when he most certainly was. He was talking about how "XBox" did the entire time, and even though you're now consciously aware that he was talking about how well "XBox" sold that week in the US, you still can't shake the Strong Belief that the 360 was somehow not included in that week.

No, they're saying XBox had one of its best weeks ever, thanks to the increase in Bone sales. Larry tricked you in to thinking the rest of that stuff.

whys the xbox team bragging about windows 10 when they haven't released anything except ori this year??

I cant make threads because I am a junior, but PC gaming is on a crazy rise. Even Game are getting in on it!

http://www.overclock3d.net/articles/systems/game_and_overclockers_uk_announce_new_partnership/1

I know it's a little off topic, but if someone wants to make a thread. Selling components in store, allowing trade ins etc. Goes to show the Rise pc gmaing is having and how that might be affecting the high street, if game wants to get involved.

robo

Again it's the placement of the comma.

Xbone up 22% over last years bf total, (comma end of statement) pushing Xbox to 2nd best bf in history. End of new statement and end of sentence.

Simples

Dr.Acula

Banned
It's pretty easy to understand. Here is the statement.

Worldwide Xbox Black Friday sales in the Xbox Store broke records with an increase of 57 percent across Xbox One and Xbox 360, global Xbox Live Gold subscriptions were up over 40 percent, and U.S. Xbox One console sales at retail were up 22 percent over the same period last year, making it the second biggest Black Friday week in 15 years of Xbox history in the U.S.

Worldwide Xbox Black Friday sales in the Xbox Store

Okay this is referring to the Xbox space in general, the "Xbox Store" exists on both active platforms, the 360 and the One.

broke records with an increase of 57 percent across Xbox One and Xbox 360

And this is my proof. When MS refers to their products in PR they use their whole names. Not "XBone" or "360." Always Xbox One and Xbox 360.

global Xbox Live Gold subscriptions were up over 40 percent

Here they refer to Xbox Live Gold subs, which AFAIK are active on the One and the 360. So this refers to BOTH. They are not talking about Xbox Live Gold subscribers on the Xbox One alone, because they did not state that explicitly.

and U.S. Xbox One console sales at retail were up 22 percent over the same period last year

Referring specifically to Xbox One console retail sales.

making it the second biggest Black Friday week in 15 years of Xbox history in the U.S.

Second biggest Black Friday week in Xbox history, including retail sales of consoles. Including sales in the XBox store. Including XBL subscriptions. For the 360 and the One combined.

If it were specific to the Xbox One, they wouldn't have left the name of the console off the statement. MS are real sticklers about branding and language.

Top Bottom