• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Live Bringing it Home - TGS and X06 Style

duckroll said:
E3's Bring it Home was well implemented and successful. This is just a cluster****, and to write it off as "oh it's just fan service" is doing yourself a disservice as a customer. Some people seem to have forgotten that the consumer is still king, if the consumers choose to walk away, that's it.

Bring it Home was not something MS cooked up because they wanted to give their fans some service, just like free online play on Sony's network isn't something they're doing for FUN. These are free services they offer to attract users to their products by looking more attractive. When you fail to deliver on that, you deserve to get slammed. I'm sick of pacifist consumers, you can take your opinion and shove it up your own ass. :p

Clusterfudd? Seriously? So there's not a lot of content. I wouldn't say the entire concept of Marketplace collapsed? E3 ended up with maybe ten pieces of solidly awesome content and a whole bunch of stuff noone cared about. The Valve stuff in 720p is awesome to have. There's a brand new demo up. And like I've said about a hundred times, there's no way the Mistwalker stuff is getting on XBLM any time soon. They were working on it right up to the day.

I'm pretty amazed that so many people feel like they are OWED an onslaught of custom designed content for the stuff that you're interested in. Not to mention the fact that, IIRC, ALL the good stuff from e3 came the day of the main conference. I'd be really surprised if we don't see an equivalent showing just on that day, an amount of stuff, actually, that outclasses the previous six or however many days in a matter of minutes.

Nobody subscribed to Bringing It Home. It doesn't owe anyone shit. It's by no means any kind of Clusterfudd in any sense of the word.

duckroll

Speevy said:
duckroll, how is Fuzion Frenzy 2?

There are 3 minigames that you can play, amazingly with up to 4 players (on the same console) or with computer AI. It's actually pretty fun, and feels like it could be a great party game with the final tally of over 50 minigames iirc. The ones in the demo are pretty solid as far as arcade-style minigames go.

The first one has each player in a vehicle and blocks dropping around the stage, you ride around picking up the blocks and placing them back in your home square. Other players can steal blocks from your home square too, but you can steal from them too. There's also a shock attack that stuns the affected player for a short time giving you an advantage. At the end of the time limit the player with the most blocks on their square at that moment wins.

The next game has each player in a sphere and you roll around the map (which has edges so you can fall off) and the entire map is divided into small squares. As you roll over each square you "paint" that square your color, and other players can roll over your squares to take over the squares. The idea is that if you get rolled off the stage you get delayed before coming back on, so the longer you can stay on without falling the more squares you'll likely paint. Once again the player with the most squares of his color at the end of the time limit wins.

The final game is on an icey arena where blocks of ice pop up around the arena. Each player is armed with a flamethrower to melt the ice blocks (and attack each other for delays) to uncover coins. Different coins let different points. Unlike the previous two games there's no way to "steal" points from the other players per say, so it's a race to get the most points before time runs out. The coins give points in the denominations of 1, 3 and 10.

duckroll said:
I don't think you understand the logic behind it. It's not a "fan service" by some kind guys that love humanity. It's a marketing plan, with a certain promise that was made. When a company makes a pledge to "bring the best and latest from TGS, right to your home" it's a promise their making to their consumer.

The content may be free, but the consumers have already bought the console and are continuing to support them by buying games (at least they hope so) and hence this is an active user base. You do not promise shit you cannot deliver, and get a free pass by saying "oh but it's just free stuff... whoops!" because if you cannot be trusted with simple things like this, who is going to trust you with actual games? Or paying for Gold even? How do we know they can deliver on ANY promise if they start breaking them?

E3's Bring it Home was well implemented and successful. This is just a cluster****, and to write it off as "oh it's just fan service" is doing yourself a disservice as a customer. Some people seem to have forgotten that the consumer is still king, if the consumers choose to walk away, that's it.

Bring it Home was not something MS cooked up because they wanted to give their fans some service, just like free online play on Sony's network isn't something they're doing for FUN. These are free services they offer to attract users to their products by looking more attractive. When you fail to deliver on that, you deserve to get slammed. I'm sick of pacifist consumers, you can take your opinion and shove it up your own ass. :p

Given that all the good stuff short of playable demos is available on the web and you've seen it all already, why do you care this much?

duckroll

LiveFromKyoto said:
Given that all the good stuff short of playable demos is available on the web and you've seen it all already, why do you care this much?

Because I value the honoring of a promise, be it from a person or from a company. Clearly many people here don't give half a shit about that.

Speevy

Banned
Thanks for the description duckroll.

Marketing is about the relationship between the company and the consumer.

MS not bothering to get their promotional materials (that's what demos and trailers are) on the marketplace is a bummer, but it's not costing the Xbox 360 games or anyone money.

In the end, it falls right in line with the "We'll get you the content at our own pace." attitude that has been the cornerstone of Live 360 so far. The Bringing it Home idea is brilliant, but the people actually responsible for its execution are apparently overworked or lacking any direction.

GhaleonEB

Speevy said:
Thanks for the description duckroll.

Marketing is about the relationship between the company and the consumer.

MS not bothering to get their promotional materials (that's what demos and trailers are) on the marketplace is a bummer, but it's not costing the Xbox 360 games or anyone money.

In the end, it falls right in line with the "We'll get you the content at our own pace." attitude that has been the cornerstone of Live 360 so far. The Bringing it Home idea is brilliant, but the people actually responsible for its execution are apparently overworked or lacking any direction.
They nailed E3. Most of the big trailers went up right after the conference, including Halo 3.

duckroll

GhaleonEB said:
They nailed E3. Most of the big trailers went up right after the conference, including Halo 3.

Stop twisting the knife in me.... SnakeXs *just* cleaned the wound again.... T_T

GhaleonEB

duckroll said:
Stop twisting the knife in me.... SnakeXs *just* cleaned the wound again.... T_T
I'm sorry. I just keep reading this:

MS press release said:
connected gamers can access the best content from the Tokyo Game Show in Japan and X06 in Barcelona, Spain, including highlights from both press briefings, daily updates and behind the scenes videos from the show floors as well as the hottest playable game demos and videos in high definition.
...and trying to figure out how the Fuzion Frenzy 2 trailer went up, while that shit-hot Lost Planet trailer didn't.

[/knife twisting]

LiveFromKyoto said:

Duckroll already talked about the honoring of a promise, which is true...but damnit it would be nice to have all this stuff direct feed. Unless I've been missing everything, we don't have hardly anything direct feed.

GhaleonEB said:

That was the big megaton day. I remember it well. The second all the juicy stuff went up, it was like some kind of beautiful magical thing. I think the same thing will happen for the x06 keynote.

Wednesday The 27th is probably going to go down thusly:
- A Huge Demo
- A Surprise Arcade Game
- At Least 10 Brand New Shit Hot Videos

That's all I expected from the promise of Bringing It Home to begin with, so anything else (Valve Stuff In 720p OMFG) is just gravy.

I will say, though, the Blue Dragon trailer ought to be on XBLM Japan, at least.

GhaleonEB

BenjaminBirdie said:
That was the big megaton day. I remember it well. The second all the juicy stuff went up, it was like some kind of beautiful magical thing. I think the same thing will happen for the x06 keynote.
And for all my bitching in this thread, all will be instantly forgiven if MS repeats on Wednesday.

qcf x2

duckroll said:
You do not promise shit you cannot deliver, and get a free pass by saying "oh but it's just free stuff... whoops!" because if you cannot be trusted with simple things like this, who is going to trust you with actual games? Or paying for Gold even? How do we know they can deliver on ANY promise if they start breaking them?

Every company promises shit they don't deliver. How do we know Microsoft isn't going to rob us if we pay for XBL Gold, oh no, they didn't put up enough free demos yet!

"Bring it Home was not something MS cooked up because they wanted to give their fans some service, just like free online play on Sony's network isn't something they're doing for FUN."

You're wrong.

But you are right about me not giving a shit, this is a company giving a free service, not a person jipping you on contractual obligations. I'm glad I'll eventually be able to download the demos, and I'd rather download a video on my computer than waste the limited HDD space on the 360.

duckroll

GhaleonEB said:
I'm sorry. I just keep reading this:

...and trying to figure out how the Fuzion Frenzy 2 trailer went up, while that shit-hot Lost Planet trailer didn't.

[/knife twisting]

The most FVCKED UP part of it all is that CAPCOM has honored their end of the deal. The Lost Planet trailer is up on their own website, in 720p 60fps glory, at a whooping 400meg. Why MS can't take that one small step of hosting it on Marketplace is totally beyond me. MS Japan is a joke.

mitheor

Day 5

The following content is now available on the Xbox Live Marketplace.
Items with a * are available in Japan only.

Trailers:
Virtua Tennis 3
NBA Live 07
NHL 2K7

Videos:
TGS Showfloor video 2
TGS Showfloor video Day 3*
Gamers' Interview*
Xbox Live The Party #8*
Xbox Live The Party #9*
Xbox Live The Party #10*

duckroll said:
Because I value the honoring of a promise, be it from a person or from a company. Clearly many people here don't give half a shit about that.

I think there's a difference between saying you're going to do something and then finding yourself unable to, and actually making a stated promise to somebody and breaking it.

You're acting like this is some kind of blood-oath upon which the fate of thousands of orphans rests. They just didn't manage to get up as many pieces of advertising as you wanted. I think you've spent too much time glued to the computer this week, dude.

Keyser Soze said:
Wow!!!!

Downloading Pro Evo 6 demo now!!!

:(

FFS! PUT SOMETHING GOOD ON LIVE QUICK!!!

BASTARD!! , i just went and booted up my 360 for this

now im off back to bed so i can dream of a pes6 demo :)

duckroll

Goreomedy said:
The next few months? Shit. I was hoping for some Lost Planet MP this week.

Well at least we know they're working on it and it's coming. If we don't get it next week on Marketplace we can always sacrifice GhaleonEB to the gods to appease them! :D

aku:jiki

GashPrex said:
I love how entitled people think they are :lol :lol
Uh, we're consumers and we actually are entitled to products and quality of service promised. Like duckroll said, everybody with a gold account actually is paying for these trailers and demos. You know, kind of like how us taxpayers pay for unemployed people? Nothing in this world is free.

And we've gotten jack shit for our gold money. The entire reason we were hoping for this week to be good to XBLM is because we feel we aren't getting the promised service the rest of the year! MS are lucky we're only bitching now.

Like duckroll has been trying to say: make no mistake about it, this service isn't free by any stretch of the imagination. And, as such, we are entitled to shit and should be upset when we're not getting it. This week, I guess, is just the last straw for some people.

(Personally, though, I'm holding out until X06 too.)

Zer0

Banned
ok..thats all? some shitty videos ( and a lot for japanese only) and two shitty demos? not HD video of lost oddysey or blue dragon? no lost oddisey demo? wtf what a ****ing letdown ms

GreekWolf

Zer0 said:
ok..thats all? some shitty videos ( and a lot for japanese only) and two shitty demos? not HD video of lost oddysey or blue dragon? no lost oddisey demo? wtf what a ****ing letdown ms
I'm gonna give them until the end of X06 to get those videos up. Otherwise, it's pretty much confirmed they dropped the ball.

Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon vids in 1080p. Make it happen, MS

There are 3 minigames that you can play, amazingly with up to 4 players (on the same console) or with computer AI. It's actually pretty fun, and feels like it could be a great party game with the final tally of over 50 minigames iirc. The ones in the demo are pretty solid as far as arcade-style minigames go.

The first one has each player in a vehicle and blocks dropping around the stage, you ride around picking up the blocks and placing them back in your home square. Other players can steal blocks from your home square too, but you can steal from them too. There's also a shock attack that stuns the affected player for a short time giving you an advantage. At the end of the time limit the player with the most blocks on their square at that moment wins.

The next game has each player in a sphere and you roll around the map (which has edges so you can fall off) and the entire map is divided into small squares. As you roll over each square you "paint" that square your color, and other players can roll over your squares to take over the squares. The idea is that if you get rolled off the stage you get delayed before coming back on, so the longer you can stay on without falling the more squares you'll likely paint. Once again the player with the most squares of his color at the end of the time limit wins.

The final game is on an icey arena where blocks of ice pop up around the arena. Each player is armed with a flamethrower to melt the ice blocks (and attack each other for delays) to uncover coins. Different coins let different points. Unlike the previous two games there's no way to "steal" points from the other players per say, so it's a race to get the most points before time runs out. The coins give points in the denominations of 1, 3 and 10.

duckroll, did you feel that this was basically a fun game that just totally lacked personality?

Yellowace and I played it and sort of had fun but for some reason, we just didn't give a shit who won or who lost. (we played the flamethrower game and the dunking game) I came to the conclusion that it was the character designs that shot it in the foot. If they did the same game with a Disney license, I can see it being big news, but as it stands, i can't see anyone picking up on it. Sort of a shame, but they have themselves to blame after FF1 suffering from the exact same problem.

duckroll

Cormacaroni said:
duckroll, did you feel that this was basically a fun game that just totally lacked personality?

Yellowace and I played it and sort of had fun but for some reason, we just didn't give a shit who won or who lost. (we played the flamethrower game and the dunking game) I came to the conclusion that it was the character designs that shot it in the foot. If they did the same game with a Disney license, I can see it being big news, but as it stands, i can't see anyone picking up on it. Sort of a shame, but they have themselves to blame after FF1 suffering from the exact same problem.

I don't think its the personality. I know exactly what you're talking about though, after each game, even if the CPU won I wouldn't care and just try the next game. I think the main problem here is that there's no gratification for willing a match at all in the demo. You just pick a game, and someone wins, but there's no purpose. Maybe tournament mode would make it more competitive in multiplayer, since I believe each win would add towards an overall score.

There's no way in hell I'm picking this up when it's out though, they set the release date on Dec 7th. Same day as Blue Dragon, Ryu ga Gotoku 2 and Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops. Totally stupid. With EDF3, Zelda TP, Lost Planet, Jeanne d'Arc and other stuff all coming out in December as well, I can't see myself even bothering. :/

Damn I can't believe there are people who try to justify MS not giving us the content they should have...

What in the flying **** do you get out of defending some bullshit move like this?

This kind of blind loyalty just doesn't make sense to me. They have an awesome infrastructure but don't use it to it's full potential. Live is one of the biggest aspects of the 360 that they have been pushing. It is the main reason that I got a 360(and lost planet). As a consumer I was under the impression they would at least be able to get shit up faster than fan sites.

It's funny that the first time they did this (E3) they nailed it, and this time, when you would expect them to have an idea of what people liked... well they didn't.

Edit: Sumo Paint is genius!

duckroll

Mr. Lemming said:
It's funny that the first time they did this (E3) they nailed it, and this time, when you would expect them to have an idea of what people liked... well they didn't.

Edit: Sumo Paint is genius!

X06! Believe!
I'm just repeating the optimism from other posters, don't blame me if it fails....

BudokaiMR2 said:
Damn I can't believe there are people who try to justify MS not giving us the content they should have...

What in the flying **** do you get out of defending some bullshit move like this?

This kind of blind loyalty just doesn't make sense to me. They have an awesome infrastructure but don't use it to it's full potential. Live is one of the biggest aspects of the 360 that they have been pushing. It is the main reason that I got a 360(and lost planet). As a consumer I was under the impression they would at least be able to get shit up faster than fan sites.

What in their history has ever given you that impression?

IAmNude

Banned
Zer0 said:
wait until x06 before you get angry

GhaleonEB

SpacLock said:
I hope all of this Lost Planet we get to play doesn't burn us out before the game is released.
Compare the SP levels we got in the demo vs. what's in the new trailer. I don't think that burned many folks out. If the MP demo is one level and one game type, I think it will be likewise.

john tv

IAmNude said:
wait until x06 before you get angry
Sorry, X06 is too late. Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon demos or at LEAST videos should have been there ready and waiting for Japanese gamers to download the morning of the first day of TGS. Not having them just exemplifies the fact that MS has no clue what they're doing out here. It's like a slap in the face to the few thousand people who still actually care.

duckroll

GhaleonEB said:
Compare the SP levels we got in the demo vs. what's in the new trailer. I don't think that burned many folks out. If the MP demo is one level and one game type, I think it will be likewise.

Actually I think the MP demo is based on the map used in the second demo scenario. So there's even LESS to worry about.

LiveFromKyoto said:
I think there's a difference between saying you're going to do something and then finding yourself unable to, and actually making a stated promise to somebody and breaking it.

You're acting like this is some kind of blood-oath upon which the fate of thousands of orphans rests. They just didn't manage to get up as many pieces of advertising as you wanted. I think you've spent too much time glued to the computer this week, dude.

I think its safe to say that 'bringing it home' was a gross f*cking overstatement (unless they redeem themselves at X06). If they didnt plan on delivering 'hot demos and footage' they shouldnt bother promising it either.

john tv said:
Sorry, X06 is too late. Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon demos or at LEAST videos should have been there ready and waiting for Japanese gamers to download the morning of the first day of TGS. Not having them just exemplifies the fact that MS has no clue what they're doing out here. It's like a slap in the face to the few thousand people who still actually care.

I absolutely agree.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
m0dus said:
I think the BD and LO videos are going to be part of MS's big nut for X06, as I suspect those games will recieve an announcement for the Western market there. If that is indeed the case, then it makes sense NOT to release them yet.

Oh it's pretty obvious by now Microsoft only cares about X06 and wants to splooge all of their manjuice during that event, and that TGS and the Japanese market is just an inconvenient sideshow to them.

Those Japanese gamers are probably wondering why the **** they bought a Japanese X360.

Although I suppose MS should be trying harder to get more gamers to buy a X360 rather than appease the few who already have. I heard Blue Dragon has a commercial on tv, and it does seem like Famitsu (what about other mags?) have enough coverage on X360 games.

Tempy said:
Those Japanese gamers are probably wondering why the **** they bought a Japanese X360.
I don't think so. With all the great JRPGs coming on the console, they should actually be quite satisfied.

Tempy said:
Although I suppose MS should be trying harder to get more gamers to buy a X360 rather than appease the few who already have. I heard Blue Dragon has a commercial on tv, and it does seem like Famitsu (what about other mags?) have enough coverage on X360 games.
One friend of mine went over there and told me that Blue Dragon had costantly 1:30-2 hours queue for its demonstration. We'll see if this will translate in good Xbox 360 sales when the game will hit in Japan....

CrapSandwich

former Navy SEAL
The Virtua Tennis trailer was a bit underwhelming. It reminded me a lot of Top Spin 2, but the color saturation was all wonky and the characters' faces are strange looking.

clashfan

I think the 360 had a little bit of a dissappointing showing at tgs in general. I'm just hoping MS can make some real noise at X06. I would hate it if the fate of hardcore games is left to Sony. I really think Sony now really hate hardcore gamers and are just going after the media center market.

Mojovonio

Banned
Did you guys really expect much? Come on, E3 was the same way, they only had one good demo and the rest of the stuff was garbage.

Mojovonio

Banned
clashfan said:
I think the 360 had a little bit of a dissappointing showing at tgs in general. I'm just hoping MS can make some real noise at X06. I would hate it if the fate of hardcore games is left to Sony. I really think Sony now really hate hardcore gamers and are just going after the media center market.

Uhmmm, just no.

Zer0

Banned
clashfan said:
. I really think Sony now really hate hardcore gamers and are just going after the media center market.

no,that one is nintendo

look at the ps3 games on tgs alot of them where for hardcore gamers

Top Bottom