• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One: 5 million units shipped to retailers

SJRB

Gold Member
The fact that Microsoft is resorting to "sold to retailers" to push a 5 million number is... kind of messed up.

Shin-Ra

Switched to shipped numbers now.

ip5KlGq0cIOb3.gif

that 2 to 1 ratio is sure looking good

still....considering its more expensive than the ps4 its a pretty good number but i suspect if ps4 had more games to play the gap would be more

spannicus

Out of 5 mil shipped to retailers, what actually 1 mill sitting in stores still? I would think a large portion of that 5 shipped to consumers.

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
That means they shipped 1.1 mln in the first 3 months of the year. Sony sold thru 2.8 mln in the same time period. (3 mln+ shipped). It's selling atleast 3:1 currently in Sony's favour!

XBO pricedrop, here we come!!!!

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
It would not surprise me if PS4's are outselling Xbox One 2:1 in most places.

Gap is only growing. Also why did they reveal this info now, their Q results is in a few days, or this info is fresher than March 31 which means they shipped even less.

Nzyme32

Can someone remind me how long it took for the ps3 to catch up to the 360? I am aware of the time discrepancy between releases being a factor too

GhaleonEB

It's telling they reported their December sell through, and their March update as sold in to retail. Obviously it's more favorable but I wonder how big the gap really is. They had to switch to make the comparison to PS4 as favorable as possible.

Iacobellis

Yep, Sony have a comfortable 3 million lead.

I expect Sony to 8 million plus sometime middle of May.

There are people waiting until The Show comes out to buy a PS4. A game as simple as baseball will be able to sell more units, crazy if you ask me. If TLoU Remastered comes out in June, along with the Destiny beta, I can definitely see them hitting 10M right around E3.

Aliand

Banned
So they only produced 1.1 million in 4 months? Because by the end of Dec 2013 it was 3.9 shipped to retailers.

More like the retailers do not order massively as they must be trying to sell the stock they already have.

I wonder how many were produced but possibly did not get sold at all (even to retailers).

It's telling they reported their December sell through, and their March update as sold in to retail. Obviously it's more favorable but I wonder how big the gap really is. They had to switch to make the comparison to PS4 as favorable as possible.

Just once in my life I'd love to sit in on one of those meetings where the discussion on how to twist the news is made.

They needed some sort of positive PR to soften the blow of losing NPD during Titanfall and price-cut/bundle/deals month. Looks like shipped numbers were the best they could come up with.

So we can deduce the sell-through number at roughly what? 4.3-4.5M?

Shogun1337

LOL damn.

Edit: I've always been curious though why they don't just... y'know, lie? Say "Oh yeah, 5.5M sold to customers". What stops them from doing that? I feel like a corporation like Microsoft can get away with anything.

One good piece of news out of this is that at least the xbone has matched the PS4 in attachment rates. Here's hoping that means this year will be the last year of crossgen games

nampad

Shipped and we don't know how many are still on the shelves. Considering all the deals that have been around lately I guess a lot. Amazon.de sold the console+Titanfall+Forza+additional €20 discount on a game for €429 shortly.

How crazy. What a turnaround this gen. Remember when Sony would brag about sell-in? They must just hope the avg person doesn't understand the difference.

Pooya

they were 3.9m shipped by the end of 2013 iirc, now like 1.1m in nearly 4 months, well yeah it's dead.

PS4 is actually selling like a million per month over the same period.

Falk

that puzzling face
Edit: I've always been curious though why they don't just... y'know, lie? Say "Oh yeah, 5.5M sold to customers". What stops them from doing that? I feel like a corporation like Microsoft can get away with anything.

How do you know 5M sell in isn't the lie and we're all being duped?

??????????

Top Bottom