• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One: 5 million units shipped to retailers

Guymelef

Three months ago 3.9M shipped.
1.1M in 3 months.

XBO factories:
4.jpg

Well, they've already tried bundling software.

So the next step is likely to be free Live for an introductory period, which should be a bit kinder to profit margins than an outright price cut.

If that doesn't work then it's death spiral time.

shwimpy

Phil Spencer has a tough time ahead of him. I wish him the best of luck because he really does seem genuinely passionate about games... but it does seem like it's a near impossible task to undo the damage done by the old regime.

Iacobellis

Phil Spencer has a tough time ahead of him. I wish him the best of luck because he really does seem genuinely passionate about games... but it does seem like it's a near impossible task to undo the damage done by the old regime.

There's always second place.

ITT: people assuming a product that isn't selling as well as a competitor's product that, for all intents and purposes, is selling beyond exceptionally well is a laughing stock.

blazeuk

A price drop makes most sense at this point, they can't be happy seeing Sony getting closer to the double figure mark and their push into other markets doesn't really seem to be a priority. If it was 5m sold it would actually be a really good figure given it's priced higher, it would only be 2m off Sony's incredible sales but we really don't know how much stock is sitting on shelves and even at a realistic amount of 4m actually sold that's Sony racing ahead. MS would probably be fairly happy with the numbers themselves but Sony are making them look poor in comparison.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
they were 3.9m shipped by the end of 2013 iirc, now like 1.1m in nearly 4 months, well yeah it's dead.

PS4 is actually selling like a million per month over the same period.

When you put it like that...

Sony basically selling to consumers per month what MS has sold to retail in three

Yep, there'll be SKU/price changes coming.

Rich!

Pretty amazing how things have changed this gen. Third console curse indeed.

Microsoft are going to have to work miracles to turn this around. I honestly do see them getting rid of Kinect sooner rather than later.

Jomjom

Banned
Sony went out of their way to say sold to customers.

I know. Dat virtual 100% sell through of consoles produced tho. Their shipped and sold numbers are pretty much the same (discrepancy mostly coming from the unsold units in New Zealand).

Nobody got it except for Guymelef. =(

Gxgear

Was expecting big changes come E3, but at this rate they might not be afford to wait another 2 months. $100 official price drop before, and announce Kinectless SKU during.

Iacobellis

Microsoft are going to have to work miracles to turn this around. I honestly do see them getting rid of Kinect sooner rather than later.

Never doubt the Third Console Curse. I was calling it back pre-Xbox One reveal and was laughed at.

Rich!

Well hey, there's still lots of money to be made in second place.

Technically, wouldn't Nintendo be in overall second place? Wii U is doing terribly, but the 3DS has stayed pretty damn strong worldwide - especially in Europe.

nded

Technically, wouldn't Nintendo be in overall second place? Wii U is doing terribly, but the 3DS has stayed pretty damn strong worldwide.

Not counting handhelds. It's a thing we like to do here in the good ol' U.S. of A.

Are they even in second place based on retail sales? Isn't Wii U still slightly ahead of it?

It won't last, for sure.

Yeah, I don't think the Wii U can hold on for much longer.

Persona7

Banned
I wonder how many units each company is producing each month. The stores near me are always well stocked with both systems. The only thing that is not usually stocked is the wii u, I rarely see actual units in stores now. Just the other day I saw a dozen wii minis but no wii u units at all at Wal-Mart.

Nzyme32

Are you forgetting the last generation?

Sony was able to pull back their catastrophe of a launch and after a very long time even overtook 360 sales, and that was with a large disadvantage in release times.

Microsoft could easily do the same thing this generation. Its far too early for anything to be decided or requiring "miracles". Even more interesting are the other platforms available today and coming soon that may alter the typical sales of consoles in the long term. Again everything is very uncertain, this gen more than any

It's not the absolute 5 million shipped that is bad news for MS it's that they only shipped 1.1 million during first qurter of this year which indicates major slowdown in sales (well everyone following NPD threads and PAL charts already knew this). That is pretty grim.

Sentenza

I don't even give a damn about the Xbox One and I still imagine it must be pretty insufferable for an Xbox user to browse this forum in these days, with all the Sony user base giggling and gloating at every chance.

vpance

1.1M shipped in the first 3 months... What's the first 3 months NPD combined? They're selling like nothing outside of the US.

A_Gorilla

Banned

Sony was able to pull back their catastrophe of a launch and after a very long time even overtook 360 sales, and that was with a large disadvantage in release times.

Microsoft could easily do the same thing this generation. Its far too early for anything to be decided or requiring "miracles". Even more interesting are the other platforms available today and coming soon that may alter the typical sales of consoles in the long term. Again everything is very uncertain, this gen more than any

The ONLY reason Sony managed to turn things around was because of the WORLDWIDE brand strength of the Playstation. Does MS have that?

People really need to stop bringing up the PS3's turnaround when it comes to the XB1. Its an apples to oranges comparison.

It reminds off all the Nintendo fans screaming "LOOK AT THE 3DS!" When the Wii U started flopping.

Yoday

The PS4 lead is just growing every month, even in the US. This is only going to push MS to do better by the customer with a revamp of XBL, and a significant price drop. All they need is to give XBL some actual value, and get down to the $400 mark, and I am willing to bite as long as they have some awesome exclusives to show at E3.

Skeff

S¡mon;108562131 said:
Sold-in, so that's shipped. In comparison, on January 1, 3.9 million were sold-in and 3 million were sold-through (to customers). So, in three months time, an additional 1 million XB1s have been sold to retailers.

31-12-2013: 3 million sold, 3.9 million shipped
18-04-2014: ? million sold, 5 million shipped

Common sense would tell us it's about 4.1 million sold assuming a constant number in the channels. Also the sales numbers from NPD threads means that the NPD:RoW split is something like 70:30.

Not good to have 1.1 million shipped in 3 months+ (not sure when they reached 5 million shipped, but seems like it is after March)

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/PS4-Sells-7-Million-Units-Globally-63490.html

States 7million for ps4 and 4.2 million for the x1, Which makes sense as the x1 had sold 3.9 before and with the 311k recently it makes it 4.2 sold to customers.

Looks like that could be based on ********. Also I only remember a 3.9 shipped figure on Dec 31st, not sure about a 3.9 sold from anytime.

The 360 crushed the PS3 in NA and the UK
UK. Sony were able to pull back in WW figures because they still dominated the rest of the world outside of the Anglosphere. Microsoft don't have that luxury to rely on.

Top Bottom