• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One supports Suspend/Resume at launch, PS4 doesn't

Alx

I really dont understand why this is a big deal. It takes less than 30 seconds for a PS3/360 to boot up and another seconds to get into a game. Once the game is booted you can switch between Games and apps just like the Vita.

This and the crying over instant switching of games that xbox one defenders did just after the reversal make me wonder What level of OCD do you need to have for these things to be an issue?

Jesus....

Well, we all like to get what we want as fast as possible, and 30 seconds can feel like a long time. It's the same situations as the killzone developers doing everything they can to remove all the company logos from startup. Fast and responsive is good.

It really doesn't, with all the multiplatform news Microsoft is having a worse and worse time.

I don't buy consoles for multiplatforms that I can just get on PC (Titanfall and any EA titles are the exception because I refuse to use Origin). And this launch, Xbone has the much more enticing exclusive lineup.

netBuff

I don't buy consoles for multiplatforms that I can just get on PC (Titanfall and any EA titles are the exception because I refuse to use Origin). And this launch, Xbone has the much more enticing exclusive lineup.

That's highly subjective, I don't agree. In quantity and variety, PS4 is certainly king.

IconGrist

I was under the impression that what is not available at launch was suspend/resume in it's low power state. Or was it confirmed that there is no suspend/resume at all? The former doesn't seem like all that big of a deal, to me anyway, but the latter is a bummer.

Does Microsoft have Naughty Dog?

Sony Worldwide Studios has a FAR more exciting lineup than Microsoft Studios.

To be fair, Sony did a tremendous job with firmware updates on the PS3 in terms of adding features at a good pace - in fact people used to bitch that they added new stuff via firmware updates too frequently.

plainr_

Is this unrelated to multitasking? I can still back out of a game anytime I want, do what I gotta do with the web browser or something and resume where I left off in the game correct?

SJRB

Gold Member
Well, we all like to get what we want as fast as possible, and 30 seconds can feel like a long time. It's the same situations as the killzone developers doing everything they can to remove all the company logos from startup. Fast and responsive is good.

That's what this is about? 30 seconds? What the fuck people.

Rocky

Banned
A feature with a $200 price tag.

IIRC, Nintendo charges $140 for a WiiU gamepad that doesn't have its own games or can't be used outside the house.

30 seconds isn't long at all. I switch on my PS3 and by the time I switch the input on my TV its booted up and ready to go.

Is this unrelated to multitasking? I can still back out of a game anytime I want, do what I gotta do with the web browser or something and resume where I left off in the game correct?

Yes, this is just suspending a game and putting the machine into a low power sleep state then coming back to it.

Not sure how you can claim that when we don't know what the bulk of Sony Worldwide Studios is working on right now.

That's not to say that it won't be exciting. I just think it's an insincere comparison.

Uh, is Naughty Dog (or any of Sony's major studios besides GG) coming out during launch? No? That's what I thought.

And until I see games by them, I am not buying a system. I sure as hell don't buy systems based on a developer's resume if I have yet to see their new game.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I was under the impression that what is not available at launch was suspend/resume in it's low power state. Or was it confirmed that there is no suspend/resume at all? The former doesn't seem like all that big of a deal, to me anyway, but the latter is a bummer.

Yes, I think there is a slight misinterpretation. Multitasking is available and has been demoed live already. It's the low power mode that isn't available. So you can still jump around...just dont shut the console off.

SenkiDala

Ahah, if it was the opposite, Xbox One doesn't to it but the PS4 does, it would be an awesome shitstorm around here, but it's the PS4, so "it's not a big deal, we can wait", ha.

Not sure, they specifically refer to 'low power state' so it seems to refer to turning off the console similar to the PSP/3DS rather than multitasking.

stryke

It's the latter. or not

edit: Y2Kev gave better details.

RulkezX

I thought the consensus was that the PS4 would support suspend/resume just not in standby (low power is what Sony stated) ?

I made the same mistake too, I thought it was multitasking that wasn't available day one. ( a feature which was already in PS3/Vita )

Meh, sleep-mode-to-resume-game instantly ala PSP/Vita isn't really a deal-breaker. Sucks that it wouldn't be available at launch, but it's significantly more critical a feature in a handheld device than it is for console.

Oh wow that seems odd if it's only for the low power mode, I wonder what the issue is.

I don't know, but you'd really hope that Sony would have it figured out already. Maybe it adds an extra level of complexity for devs and Sony was worried about how it might impact launch titles. I wonder if titles released prior to the suspend feature being activated in firmware will ever actually support it... Then again, to hear the moaning on GAF you'd think there weren't actually any launch titles at all, so nothing should be affected :)

IconGrist

Yes, I think there is a slight misinterpretation. Multitasking is available and has been demoed live already. It's the low power mode that isn't available. So you can still jump around...just dont shut the console off.

Yea, if that's all it is I'll live. If it is getting adding later anyway I don't see the point in complaining about it. Not like we didn't just go every generation before this one without it.

Steroyd

https://twitter.com/albertpenello/status/393944655932297217

This was one of the most interesting features about the PS4 which I was generally looking forward to using, seeing how well it works on the Vita. It was also a feature that Mark Cerny boasted at the PS Meeting in February. This seems typical old Sony of past years. I'm knobbed off about it.

Edit - to all those throwing the 'agenda' comment - check post history.

Wait what? What does that make Microsoft? Sony's padawan turned master?

Bailers

That period lasted for 2 years max and was a whole generation ago smh.

Yeah, and convenient how no one wants to talk about just a few months ago old Microsoft that said if you aren't online get a 360.

Old Sony is a crutch for lazy people.

Microsoft gives us new features since the announcement. Sony takes them away. The more things change....

My favorite new feature is not having crippling online requirements and draconian DRM check in every 24 hours.

Squire

Banned
who are you talking to?

I don't think it needs to be directed at anyone specifically or explicitly. People have been a little obnoxious and over dramatic about some possible limitations of the Xbox One this week. I think that's fair to say.

Ahah, if it was the opposite, Xbox One doesn't to it but the PS4 does, it would be an awesome shitstorm around here, but it's the PS4, so "it's not a big deal, we can wait", ha.

Don't be an arse and generalise.

I would've thrown a shit-storm if multitasking wasn't available day-one. But suspend-to-resume is really not that big of a deal.

Just like how no real name function for XB1 at launch is a 'meh, who gives a shit' reaction. No one gave a shitstorm on that either, though obviously you see things differently.

Raist

Banned

I don't think it's the low power mode entirely. Just the suspend/resume (which is part of it).

I don't know, but you'd really hope that Sony would have it figured out already. Maybe it adds an extra level of complexity for devs and Sony was worried about how it might impact launch titles. I wonder if titles released prior to the suspend feature being activated in firmware will ever actually support it... Then again, to hear the moaning on GAF you'd think there weren't actually any launch titles at all, so nothing should be affected :)

Might be a temp/power issue to keep it going while in low power mode, that isn't as 'low power' as they first hoped.

Not sure! Seems like the kind of thing they should be able to get up and running within a month or two of launch though.

Top Bottom