• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One supports Suspend/Resume at launch, PS4 doesn't

Tobor

im not getting a next gen console to play these games on a tiny oled screen

I'm not getting a next gen console for suspend resume on day 1. It will come.

Meanwhile, I can still pick up my game on the Vita and play a little longer in bed. The absolute best feature in either of these consoles. Opinions.

StuBurns

Banned
I thought the consensus was that the PS4 would support suspend/resume just not in standby (low power is what Sony stated) ?
What does that even mean though? Isn't that basically saying you can pause the game?

Unless the console faux-powers down, what difference does it make?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I like to think the Sony today is different to the Sony of 7 years ago. Seems like a bit of a screw up to me.

You mean you can't live without playing your games like we've been playing for eternity without resume/pause on console? Surely we will get through these tough times.

Let me say, good on MSFT for having that ready but it's not some giant victory we're talking here over a feature that is coming for PS4. Most importantly, it isn't needed for the core functions of the platform.

Kensuke

I like to think the Sony today is different to the Sony of 7 years ago. Seems like a bit of a screw up to me.

When people talk about 'old Sony' they mostly refer to the arrogant attitude that disconnected them from players. It was about the 600 dollar price tag, the weird ads, the horrible comments from execs.

Not being able to ready one feature at launch is not really the same thing...

Alx

That's what this is about? 30 seconds? What the fuck people.

I said 30 seconds because it's what the message I quoted was giving as an example. Whatever the value, shorter is better. People appreciated the shorter boot times on PC when they switch to SSD, Windows 8 or both. People appreciate the resume functions of Vita. MS and Sony value the feature enough to mention it onstage in both their reveals.
Of course it's no deal breaker, but saying nobody should care because it has been delayed on a platform doesn't sound really honest.

RulkezX

What does that even mean though? Isn't that basically saying you can pause the game?

Unless the console faux-powers down, what difference does it make?

You know how on 360 and PS3 if you press the guide/ps button it bring up a limited version of the UI ?

Well on XO/PS4 you can go into the UI proper, choose say netflix or something , watch a video then jump back into your game where you suspended it.

It's like how the Vita or tablets/phones work.

It's worrying that its still not ready this late into the year. But most of all, the disconcerting thing is the feeling that Sony may lag behind in providing software functionality to their console this generation as they were last time round. It was the reason I originally sold my PS3 to get an Xbox 360.

Bundy

Banned
Microsoft gives us new features since the announcement. Sony takes them away. The more things change....
But....but.... what about the always-online feature? The feature to verify our account every 24 hours online, the feature to block used games, the mandatory KINECT feature, the indie screw up feature, etc. Where are they? :/
j/k

PS4, Day One

You can :
1. suspend games in the background and multitask, while the console is active.
2. put the console in low-power mode.

You cannot:
1. put the console in low-power mode while a game is active without closing the game first.
2. resume immediately to game from low-power mode.

StuBurns

Banned
Pause the game, walk away. If you are going to be gone for more than a couple hours, then turn it off. What is the problem?

But what is wrong with hitting pause?
I don't understand what you're asking, you have the answer in the question, what if it's a few hours? You don't want to leave it paused, and you don't want to have to turn it on and go through loading and menus to get back in the game, because that sucks. That's what the feature fixes. It's a cool feature.

Is it a huge deal it's not there day one? No, of course not. But it is lame.

Dead Man

What's wrong with saving money?

People are up in arms about the difference in electricity consumption? That is the issue? Damn. You guys must be on some tight fucking budgets.

I don't understand what you're asking, you have the answer in the question, what if it's a few hours? You don't want to leave it paused, and you don't want to have to turn it on and go through loading and menus to get back in the game, because that sucks. That's what the feature fixes. It's a cool feature.

Is it a huge deal it's not there day one? No, of course not. But it is lame.

And that's fine, but people are calling it the best feature of the gen. So it is still an unneeded feature that saves a couple minutes a day and a few pennies a day.

This is in fact a huge feature for me, and one I was looking forward to a great deal. I've gotten so tired of it taking 3 minutes or more before actually playing a game after switching the console on, that I often don't bother anymore.

kevlar35

Banned
Suspend/resume is obviously cool and something that would be nice to have on day one, but it's coming. Not a big deal if it's delivered in the first 3 months imo.

Certinty

Wonder how long it will take to patch in, quite disappointing to be honest. But besides that remote play and everything else I'm interested seems to be there which is good.

There really is no excuse as to why this isn't in at launch.
It is one of the few exciting features about these things, every psp/3ds/vita owner will tell you sleep mode is the best thing ever.

anyone who doesn't care for this obviously hasn't owned a psp

jiggles

Banned
Pause the game, walk away. If you are going to be gone for more than a couple hours, then turn it off. What is the problem?

Have you played any handheld in the last 10 years? Suspend/resume is a godsend.

LiquidMetal14

Obviously the sensitive nature of the comparisons and console wars makes this some kind of bigger news than it really is but let's come down to earth and spare us the sarcastic political quips.

This is a feature that I will probably use but let's not mistake it, I will still be turning off my console just like I turn off all my other high end electronics with sleep functions including my Vita.

If it was the ability to play games that was being patched in or not available then we can talk because the PS4 is about games first and it has them in spades. Otherwise let's breath through these challenging times in Sony-land.

Vizzeh

Banned
Launch day pause/resume or launch day 1080p? hardchoice
not really

Its a plus that x1 has theirs ready, but Im confident its just a case of prioritizing, for both consoles, just like Xbox wont have TV features in all countries etc.

It's worrying that its still not ready this late into the year. But most of all, the disconcerting thing is the feeling that Sony may lag behind in providing software functionality to their console this generation as they were last time round. It was the reason I originally sold my PS3 to get an Xbox 360.

So it doesn't worry you that real-name functionality, Upload Studio sharing outside XBL, external USB support, Kinect support limitations and the rumored app store isn't ready for XB1 either?

Both companies are crunching out these stuff for launch. Some stuff won't be there immediately. Practically everything Gaikai related won't be until next year.

Loakum

Banned
But....but.... what about the always-online feature? The feature to verify our account every 24 hours online, the feature to block used games, the mandatory KINECT feature, the indie screw up feature, etc. Where are they? :/
j/k

^ So much TRUTH in this post, it deserved to be quoted!

Why are you even arguing against this. How is this not cool:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaPoLJyDZmM&feature=player_detailpage#t=70
See a MP match going on and jump in in 5 secs. To me this is the coolest feature next-gen.

The Xbox One doesn't even have the low power state, right? MS just says the console is built to be on at all times.

cormack12

Gold Member
It's a nice feature to have but you know you're not actually losing anything. You can't do it now so what's the big deal? It will be patched in later......

Well, we all like to get what we want as fast as possible, and 30 seconds can feel like a long time. It's the same situations as the killzone developers doing everything they can to remove all the company logos from startup. Fast and responsive is good.

I find it silly and obsessive sorry. Especially as this is a feature of the console, it just wont be there at launch.

If you must suspend your games, the Pause button still exists.

If im going to be away from my console long enough to put it in standby, i may as well turn it off.

That said, assholes and opinons. I sure there are plenty who dont think MP3 playback is a issue.

It is one of the few exciting features about these things, every psp/3ds/vita owner will tell you sleep mode is the best thing ever.

PS4 isn't portable. There's no reason for it to have low power suspend. With the power of these consoles and the fact that games run off HDDs now makes the point moot.

PC games load very quickly and you don't hear PC owners whining about not having suspend.

frizby

Preorder suspended and then resumed.

I'm willing to take them at their word on post-launch firmware development, especially given how much PS3 evolved over its life.

StuBurns

Banned
And that's fine, but people are calling it the best feature of the gen. So it is still an unneeded feature that saves a couple minutes a day and a few pennies a day.
Well, it's more a king shit of turd mountain type thing. None of the other features are of any value at all to me, so it wins by default.

I own a PSP so I know how awesome sleep mode is ( <3 ) but honestly, the trend in home PC/console gaming of recent years had diminished this value proposition of this feature.

I'm talking about the non-stop auto-saves that so many AAA-games nowadays employ. :p

If this was the good old days of save-points, the lack of this feature at launch would've been annoying, but games save so often nowadays that all we lose is probably 10 minutes of game time + loading time.

LiquidMetal14

You think the only reason people suspend games on handheld is because they're not at home? Ok bro.

I do it because the option is there.

When I was playing the GBC, Game Gear, or GBA I saved and turned it off like normal. Much like I do in the modern day even with Vita and 3DS despite that feature being there.

I'm not one of those people who puts my devices in sleep mode but the wife likes the laptop like that.

None the less we're talking about a feature which will be coming and isn't essential to core functions of the platform.

Top Bottom