• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One supports Suspend/Resume at launch, PS4 doesn't

Dead Man

Why are you even arguing against this. How is this not cool:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaPoLJyDZmM&feature=player_detailpage#t=70
See a MP match going on and jump in in 5 secs. To me this is the coolest feature next-gen.

The Xbox One doesn't even have the low power state, right? MS just says the console is built to be on at all times.

Jesus, I am not arguing against having the feature, I am saying it is pretty fucking irrelevant if you can still back out of the game, do something else, and return to the game which is the interesting part of the feature set. If it is just a low power suspend, the only difference between it and a pause button is the electricity cost.

PS4 isn't portable. There's no reason for it to have low power suspend. With the power of these consoles and the fact that games run off HDDs now makes the point moot.

PC games load very quickly and you don't hear PC owners whining about not having suspend.

Indeed.

Well, it's more a king shit of turd mountain type thing. None of the other features are of any value at all to me, so it wins by default.

LOL, that argument I can get behind :)

Vizzeh

Banned
PS4, Day One

You can :
1. suspend games in the background and multitask, while the console is active.
2. put the console in low-power mode.

You cannot:
1. put the console in low-power mode while a game is active without closing the game first.
2. resume immediately to game from low-power mode.

So if we CAN pause/Resume, what more do we want, im happy with that.

Caayn

Was afraid that the Xbox One would also launch without the suspend/resume option after Sony unvieled that the PS4 won't launch with it. Thank god, it does launch with this option.

After using suspend/resume on my handhelds for a couple of years, this is a very welcome feature for consoles. One if been waiting on.

driver116

I'd rather have that music app than this. I don't know why anyone else would pick this function over the ability to play music.

Don't confuse the two. Music playback will be there day 1 - I'm all for that. I will probably never have a Music Unlimited subscription - so it is pretty much useless.

Tobor

Is every promised feature of Xbox One available day one? Nope.
Is every promised feature of PS4 available day one? Nope.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Was afraid that the Xbox One would also launch without the suspend/resume option after Sony unvieled that the PS4 won't launch with it. Thank god, it does launch with this option.

After using suspend/resume on my handhelds for a couple of years, this is a very welcome feature for consoles. One if been waiting on.
Aren't you in a 2014 launch territory anyway? Lol :)

I bet it will be in by Japanese launch.

I own a PSP so I know how awesome sleep mode is ( <3 ) but honestly, the trend in home PC/console gaming of recent years had diminished this value proposition of this feature.

I'm talking about the non-stop auto-saves that so many AAA-games nowadays employ. :p

If this was the good old days of save-points, the lack of this feature at launch would've been annoying, but games save so often nowadays that all we lose is probably 10 minutes of game time + loading time.

For me it's not about saving but about being able to play a game for 2 minutes or 10 minutes or w/e instantly without having to wait or go through all the menus again.

I barely use my ps3 because by the time i get in the game (boot up, log in, choose my game, go through those splashscreens of how awesome speedtree and havoc and unreal engine are, go through the atrocious loading times) I could've done a full race in wipeout on my vita or psp.
It's an awesome feature, one of the few positive things i've personally had to say about these consoles when it was announced:p

artist

Banned
nerd-celebratepuot9.gif

Caayn

Aren't you in a 2014 launch territory anyway? Lol :)

I bet it will be in by Japanese launch.
I am, but that doesn't stop me from importing one ;) I've got mine pre-ordered at Amazon UK and payed extra for guaranteed launch day delivery.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Don't confuse the two. Music playback will be there day 1 - I'm all for that. I will probably never have a Music Unlimited subscription - so it is pretty much useless.

I hope not but you can bet I will be testing it with some music of my own day 1. I'm also sure it will be cleared up before launch.

Wait, you hibernate in progress games? I've only ever had them crash on me when I do that. Have enough issues alt-tabbing out of quite a few of them!

Not getting into that but there's a reason I don't do that on PC. Yours is one of those reasons.

Valnen

Anyone that would cancel/keep their preorder on such a small feature has something wrong with them. Especially when it's coming to both consoles regardless.

Anyone that would cancel/keep their preorder on such a small feature has something wrong with them. Especially when it's coming to both consoles regardless.

I'd like to believe whoever saying's those are just joking, or never had the consoles pre-ordered to begin with.

Then again, every now and then I question my faith in the human race.

If game boot ups are as fast as Killzone I won't be using that feature much, since using no power is still better than a low power state.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
"I buy a game console for games!!!!!"

(J/K). Anyway, good news. This is one of the biggest features I'm looking forward to next gen.

You got it. I'm disappointed but not broken about it.

Everyone breath into the paper bags. I'm off to work.

https://twitter.com/albertpenello/status/393944655932297217

This was one of the most interesting features about the PS4 which I was generally looking forward to using, seeing how well it works on the Vita. It was also a feature that Mark Cerny boasted at the PS Meeting in February. This seems typical old Sony of past years. I'm knobbed off about it.

Edit - to all those throwing the 'agenda' comment - check post history.
Damn, did not know that. Not that Ill be lucky enough to have one at launch, but that was a major feature I was looking forward to. That sucks.

PS4 pre-order cancelled...Sony don't push me farther, I don't have many pre-orders left to cancel ;(

No, sometimes later.

Ah okay thanks. Well that's a major deal for me. Suspend/Resume is what I personally associate with NextGen, looks so smooth on the One. I really want a PS4 but this sucks!

Same could be said about everything. Next-gen games worth buying are essentially ports of current-gen games. Why buy a console when your Average Joe's COD look the same everywhere? Its the features that make some people move. Features like these are something people pay for because its convenience. Convenience is the price of admission here.

Come on, even Mark Cerny said it's an expectation these days.
But it will come eventually, just not at launch. It is not cancelled, it will just come later. Some reactions here just boggle my mind... I wonder what was their reactions with PS3 FW v1.5... That was bare bone, PS4 seems feature rich in comparison.

Top Bottom