• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

xbox one took The top-selling console spot For july in the US a.k.a the world

ViciousDS

Banned
The Xbox One got second.

Despite the misleading headline, the 3DS was actually the best selling console, the XB1 was the best selling HOME console.

Went to go buy a new nintendo 3DSXL and its always out of stock waiting for inventory.....pokemon caused some serious boost. You can also tell by the insane prices for soul silver and heart gold atm in the used market as well.......I think 3DS will be number one easily till probably December just because of the pokemon craze and moon/sun creeping around the corner

But, you would be a fool even with the power disparity to pass up a deal where the xbox is basically under $50 due to the gift card pack in, extra controller and fives games. That's one hell of a deal!

Fredrik

But... why??

Even if the price was dropped in some fire sale, as some posters has said, there was no interesting game released during the month to my knowledge and wouldn't people wait for Xbox One S in August before jumping in?

But... why??

Even if the price was dropped in some fire sale, as some posters has said, there was no interesting game released during the month to my knowledge and wouldn't people wait for Xbox One S in August before jumping in?

Why spend more money for a 4K blu ray player if you don't want that functionality? The fire sales were insane throughout the month. Why pass up saving $50- $80 on the console while also getting a second controller and a bunch of games?

donny2112

Figured XB1 would take August, but really surprising that it took July, too. Guess it's been creeping up for a few months now, and finally nudged out PS4 in this month before the maelstrom in August.

gamerMan

Exclusives really don't matter. These are multiplatform boxes. It all comes down to value. The Xbox One is just a better value now. I don't know why anybody would buy a PS4 right now given that you can get an Xbox One for well under 300.

j0hnnix

2553307-sw3qyxo.gif

To be continued...

SURGEdude

Exclusives really don't matter. These are multiplatform boxes. It all comes down to value. The Xbox One is just a better value now. I don't know why anybody would buy a PS4 right now given that you can get an Xbox One for well under 300.

While I agree that the market is largely driven by multiplats there is still enough of an exclusive library to make an argument for choosing one over the other outside of simple value.

farisr

When priced similarly, things like exclusives, controller preference, online community, power, do matter. But yeah as you said, those things start to matter less and less as the price gap widens, especially to the general consumer. to the general consumer, as the vast majority of the library is shared between the consoles.

Fredrik

Why spend more money for a 4K blu ray player if you don't want that functionality? The fire sales were insane throughout the month. Why pass up saving $50- $80 on the console while also getting a second controller and a bunch of games?
But still... Is pricing all that matters? Then everyone should just take the bullet day 1 and drop the price until they hit 10 million sales and possible get the momentum to win the generation. I've got nothing against XB1 but even with GOTY Inside hype going nuts I'd never jump in on XB1 during this particular July. I mean the Scorpio, UWP, XboxOne S announcement just happened, it all just seems like bad timing for OG XB1 tbh, even with a sale.
Maybe PS4 just had a surprisingly bad month?

Hawk269

I'm guessing this is mainly due to no major exclusives on either side, and the flurry of sales that retailers did to deplete old stock? Guessing it'll win August as well on the back of the S, though No Man's Sky might shift the numbers.

Until people realize there is no Multiplayer and you cant run into other people!!! <joking>

While I agree that the market is largely driven by multiplats there is still enough of an exclusive library to make an argument for choosing one over the other outside of simple value.

Yea I disagree completely with the notion that console exclusives don't matter.

When November 2013 rolled around I knew I would pick up a PS4 over Xbox first because I knew that with that purchase came Uncharted -granted it came 3 years later- but I knew as a PS4 owner I was going to get it.

But still... Is pricing all that matters? Then everyone should just take the bullet day 1 and drop the price until they hit 10 million sales and possible get the momentum to win the generation. I've got nothing against XB1 but even with GOTY Inside hype going nuts I'd never jump in on XB1 during this particular July. I mean the Scorpio, UWP, XboxOne S announcement just happened, it all just seems like bad timing for OG XB1 tbh, even with a sale.

Price does matter. Again, $230 with two co trollers and a pile of games is a great price for the system. The S really doesn't bring anything to the table outside of being smaller and having 4K blu ray support (which isn't really a major factor for most people). Also, I don't think the general public knows what UWP even is. Same for Scorpio.

$230 to jump into current gen gaming or play the handful of exclusives that you missed on PS4 is a smoking deal.

Rozart

Why the title change, Mods?

How would I know that MS won this month if there were no caps yelling about this sweet, sweet win to my face? :( WE NEED THE PPL TO KNOW ABOUT THIS HOLY VICTORY. STAND UP AND SPREAD THE WORD GAF.

Fredrik

Yea I disagree completely with the notion that console exclusives don't matter.

When November 2013 rolled around I knew I would pick up a PS4 over Xbox first because I knew that with that purchase came Uncharted -granted it came 3 years later- but I knew as a PS4 owner I was going to get it.
And people wonder why the Neo rumors were so upsetting at first. You and many others hadn't even get to play the game that made you buy the OG PS4 before there were talk about a successor. Exclusives definitely matter but oh wow they seriously need to stop showing off games 3,4,5 years ahead of the release when the upgraded consoles becomes the norm.

mozfan12

Banned
But I was told the Xbox One would not sell with the announcement of the Scorpio.

I don't care, good to see different consoles at the top, 3ds included. Bring on the Neo and whatever else.

On Demand

Banned

The deal Amazon had was black friday level.

We don't have actual sales to know if PS4 had a "bad month." The sales difference between the two is probably not even that big.

EDIT-

Just like i thought.

Top Bottom