• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One TV Integration is apparently 'broken' For UK & Europe: Sky 50Hz Stutter

hadareud

The Translator
It's still a workaround.

Not ideal by any means, but you can switch back and forth that way.

Anyway, they better release a patch for this soon. If it means the box switching to 50Hz when you go to full screen TV and back to 60Hz for everything else, so be it. People will survive the screen going blank for a second.

I strongly suspect that this is one of the main reasons why they didn't implement that Guide and said that TV wouldn't work for launch in Europe. Probably need a bit of time to patch that.

Doffen

Best comment from the article:

e999331b-8172-458c-925c-9e612cf436c0-460x276.jpeg

"I think a far more pressing and important question that Microsoft must answer immediately is.
Why do the guys in that photo have their headphones on over their hoodies?"

Indeed!

Because germs and swag.
#Yolo cc @therealcliffyb

Xbox One ‘juddering’ plagues UK TV watchers? plagues?

Yeah it's an issue, but that's one of hell sensationalist title.

It's the Guardian, guy. The only reason that newspaper still has a shred of credibility is because it's hipster's choice. Otherwise it's simply a mirror image Daily Mail.

coldfoot

Banned
If the games work ok in 25/50Hz then that might be fine
Actually Xbone 30fps games run closer to 25fps, so that could be OK. Wonder what happens in Forza/KI though, do they start tearing frames because they run too fast like COD on PS4 or do they run at 50?

SBH

So, people here don't have external digital boxes so much unless they have a really old tv. I mean my 2004 crt already had one built in. I never understood this feature.

"I think a far more pressing and important question that Microsoft must answer immediately is.

Indeed!

To prevent a potential ear infection? Do you really want other people's ear sweat touching you?

spwolf

Actually Xbone 30fps games run closer to 25fps, so that could be OK. Wonder what happens in Forza/KI though, do they start tearing frames because they run too fast like COD on PS4 or do they run at 50?

i dont think it runs in 25hz though, it runs 50hz.. so yeah, Forza would be crappy, especially since it is driving game.

Every other XB1 game would be fine with 50hz :)

I can can't believe that after a few days of launch we've already gotten

TV services experience judder

People banned from Live for swearing in uploaded video's

Loud disk drives

surely its plain to see the console was either A rushed or B designed by idiots
Lol.

TV judder is an issue.
But it isn't a bad thing that people were 24 hour banned for swearing profusely in uploaded videos, it's actually a good sign that they are monitoring the ecosystem.
And some consoles did have defected disk drives, but those with broken consoles got a free game and advanced replacement unit.

The launch has been great besides a few minor things.

Burbeting

Banned
It's really weird that this is an actual problem. The console is heavily advertised with it's DVR-capabilities, which makes it weird to think that it doesn't work properly outside US.

It sounds like MS didn't think it completely through, which is even weirder, since they usually shine with software.

jcracken

Banned
ITT: Some people actually annoyed at this problem, others bringing up old issues and bashing the Xbox One for them again.

SBH

You don't have any cable providers?

We have built-in digital boxes that normally have DVB-T/C. It's been a long time since you had to get an external box. Satellite companies still use them as far as I know.

I do have iptv-box that comes free with my internet, but that is not the case with most households.

madmackem

So, people here don't have external digital boxes so much unless they have a really old tv. I mean my 2004 crt already had one built in. I never understood this feature.

Or they might want to use the feature ms has been pushing with there all in one messaging. Its totally fucked if you watch sport its real terrible, also i think people are going to be caught of guard by having to have the xbox on at all times just to watch tv, in a country thats just been hit with rise in household bills people aint going to be happy at that.

madmackem

We have built-in digital boxes that normally have DVB-T/C. It's been a long time since you had to get an external box. Satellite companies still use them as far as I know.

I do have iptv-box that comes free with my internet, but that is not the case with most households.

I think sky is in around 10m homes, and virgin which is cable is in another 2m or so.

Will all this make a difference to the future sales?

- When everyone complained they said: "well it is hard coded we cannot go back now"
- Then the day after saying "we have gone back"

Echoing previous commenter about going back in time :)

But as a development lead/dev manager type guy (at Microsoft - but not in the games division, this is all my own view, etc. etc.) - there's a huge difference between "Can't just flick a switch", and "can't do it at all" - and it's a bit of a pet peeve when people say those two points above.

When I get hit with a major feature request by my customers, and the deadline doesn't change, I don't have much room to move - I can increase cost, cut other scope, or compromise on quality.

You can't ship a product with blocking bugs so that leaves cost and other scope as the things that flex.

So I might call on the powers that be and get extra budget - bring in more people, and work them harder. That only gets you so far - the old cliché that you can't get 9 ladies and have a baby in a month.

So if that still doesn't get you there, you need to cut other scope. You can bet that prior to the reversal, there were a bunch of leads / program managers desperately working out how to reschedule their delivery so that Microsoft could change the policy... there would have been a whole bunch of hard work to figure out how the heck to do it. If only it had been as easy as changing a 1 to a 0 in a config file then yes it would have been just flicking a switch.

So - heard the stories about crunch time for MS employees? Wondered why your favourite must have feature isn't there yet in Xbox One? And so on and so forth... Well... that's because there were a whole bunch of devs and testers who had their scope changed and a load of extra engineering work to do / re-do unexpectedly.

TL;DR: The opposite of 'lazy devs'.

Again I must stress this is all just my speculation based on my day job - I've got no insight into what goes on in the Xbox Org.

Indeed!

I do this all the time. It's cold outside and my headphones won't fit inside of my hoodie but I still want to hear whatever it is I'm listening to. The audio still sounds good (way better than any earbuds).

They're inside but maybe it was cold at the event. Maybe they just like wearing their hoodies and didn't care.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
http://asia.cnet.com/motion-judder-affects-xbox-ones-tv-function-62223041.htm

Microsoft is facing yet another wave of criticism with its newly launched Xbox One console. This time, it is regarding the HDMI input, introduced to integrate TV viewing into the device's user interface and OneGuide channel guide function. Some UK users are encountering motion judder when watching TV programs through their consoles.

According to UK-based TV review site HDTVtest, this problem is possibly due to a discrepancy in supported video frame rates. While most TV settop boxes in the UK can only output 50Hz video signals, the console is said to be operating natively at 60Hz for games and other content. So in order to display the TV programs, additional frame rate conversion is used, but a drawback is the visible stutter.

also, this gem of a comment
Judder? Really? Like anyone will notice and who cares? What real life troll to even call this out and to make this an issue. This "complaint" is a hair shy of fraud and libel. I would say this is troll speak but this person uses an actual name. And their proof is screen shot of an anonymous comment on a web site. Are you kidding? That is a joke right? This is the same FUD and BS that trolls spread as lies on the internet claiming people will never use digital in high fidelity because of the loss of sound quality from analog. Or the same trolls that claimed streaming video will never be adopted because of the encoding issues, or best yet, and the highest troll award, the liars that claimed wireless audio would never work because of latency and lower audio quality. This are the a holes who sell cables and who make dvd/blue ray players who are making these claims. FRAUDS.

hadareud

The Translator
I've forced it to 50hz.

Tv works fine now. With the games it's a different story. 60fps is fine, but 30 stutters (like the mirrors in Forza).

Rourkey

You can see the scrolling text judder, its way more pronounced in the flesh, watching footy is terrible on it.

Not for me, I can only notice it at all on scrolling text, football is fine and the video I uploaded is a good representation of the problem.

As a side note when I watch it my kinect reacts to the video and shows my stuff!

Top Bottom