• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One's SDK(Software Development Kit) leaked by H4LT

I want to hear more about what everybody's saying regarding this not actually being a leak, because it's been available to @id or whatever.

There is a rumour, but I think you will need Xbox One system to streaming Xbox one games on PC.
What would be the purpose of that? People want Xbox One games on PC so they'll look and run better. If you were right, the PC's hardware wouldn't affect the game's performance or appearance, and the game still wouldn't include any modifiable graphics settings, as it wouldn't even be a port.

panzone

What would be the purpose of that? People want Xbox One games on PC so they'll look and run better. If you were right, the PC's hardware wouldn't affect the game's performance or appearance, and the game still wouldn't include any modifiable graphics settings, as it wouldn't even be a port.

You can also stream to any windows devices, like your tablet. Similar to Remote Play and sony's smartphones.

iceatcs

I want to hear more about what everybody's saying regarding this not actually being a leak, because it's been available to @id or whatever.

MS is a company who want money. therefore they won't give away all xbox one port to PC.

MS who want to win and profit from the market whatever so. That's why I think MS want to sell many xbox one as possible. It would need a Xbox One for stream xbox one games to any windows and non-windows (android) device.

hodgy100

I am really suprised ms haven't released a c# xna style SDK for making apps for the x1. I wish Sony would prot over their PS mobile stuff to ps4 too. The idea of an abstracted simplified SDK that allows you to make Apps and games easily with an environment that's similar to smart phones really interests me.

liquidtmd

Banned
'For the community / for the greater good / for x / y / z'

This line frequently leads to bad or at least very grey end results. Im getting a bit tired of it. If they came out and just said 'Its not ours to leak but fuck you' id probably respect them more

Okay. Been playing around with Speech Lab. You can create new tag libraries for Kinect. This has a lot of potential for those who want to spend some time on it.

Also checked out the new PIX manager, it looks way cleaner than the 360 one. Might work on some reverse engineering now that we can easily copy games to external HDDs on the Xbox ONE.

Alx

Hopefully that will put the "turn any retail console into a dev kit" back on the near roadmap. Although it is still to be seen how MS intends to handle the cross-platform development between Windows/Xbox/Phone.
I'd like to mess around with Xbox development, but I wouldn't risk my own console or account for that.

This line frequently leads to bad or at least very grey end results. Im getting a bit tired of it. If they came out and just said 'Its not ours to leak but fuck you' id probably respect them more

Well, maybe they should have used the more proper marketing speak a la "for the best experience". ;)

But I am curious about the results this leak will have.

Bodom78

Hopefully the leak will be informative and lead to some cool stuff.

On the flip side I hope it does not lead to piracy as it's always sad to punish those who work hard to make the hobby you love.

Jonnax

Yeah it's always piracy. But they'll use the term homebrew with some crappy software no one really cares about to give legitimacy to it.

It's like people trying to argue that that majority of emulator users aren't pirating games.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
"In the default system configuration, titles have access to 6 of the 8 processing cores available on the Xbox One. In order to improve performance a game may choose to forego NUI title speech support in order to gain access to a 7th processing core. The 7th core will be available while the title is in the full state. While using the 7th core, users will still have access to Xbox System voice commands such as "Xbox Snap Achievements" or "Xbox Record That". Access to the 7th core requires the October 2014 XDK or newer.

Awesomes news. Xbox One continues to narrow the gap.

So far I don't see any references to this in either the XDK nor the docs. But access to the roadmap is restricted. Interesting is also that the Multiplayer system will change in 2015. Something about ommitting parties for interaction but before jumping to conclusions - I have no complete idea what they are talking about in the docs but there is a large chapter dedicated to 2015 Multiplayer.

Thank god game parties are so messed up.

Noobcraft

Now to see if it turns into anything. Microsoft already announced the ability (Build 2014) to write an app for PC and have it run universally on XB1, PC, and Windows Phone. Does this leak have the potential to do anything that wasn't already announced? Having public applications does open some neat possibilities though :D

Fox_Mulder

Rockefellers. Skull and Bones. Microsoft. Al Qaeda. A Cabal of Bankers. The melting point of steel. What do these things have in common? Wake up sheeple, the landfill wasn't even REAL!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
So sounds like 6 cores generally, 6.5 if you don't use NUI speech (can go up to 80% but you aren't in control of that so cannot bank on it)

That should mean PS4 can unlock another core, as its OS isn't doing much different from xbox when games are running

What does 'constrained' mean? Is that when a game is minimised in the OS? Can't be snapped because a game needs to run full speed when snapped.

itxaka

Defeatist
So the OS is running on a 20% of one core while in the background and up to 50% of the same core while doing some stuff (voice recognition, I guess downloading as well)

Sounds way too optimized for a windows kernel. I kid I kid, actually it sounds pretty great knowing all the functionality in the os.

So sounds like 6 cores generally, 6.5 if you don't use NUI speech (can go up to 80% but you aren't in control of that so cannot bank on it)

That should mean PS4 can unlock another core, as its OS isn't doing much different from xbox when games are running

What does 'constrained' mean? Is that when a game is minimised in the OS? Can't be snapped because a game needs to run full speed when snapped.

8 cores total. They are numbered 0 to 7. So up to 7.5~7.8 without NUI.

How do you use the Xbox One SDK to unlock another core on the PS4?

liquidtmd

Banned
Yeah it's always piracy. But they'll use the term homebrew with some crappy software no one really cares about to give legitimacy to it.

It's like people trying to argue that that majority of emulator users aren't pirating games.

Pretty much - I would argue legitimate homebrew communities are out there and legitimate emulator users are out there. They are. I follow certain scenes BUT they are by far outnumbered by illegitimate 'Yay I want to pirate, fuck content owners if only they made all their software $5 and available to me how I want it I wouldnt be forced to do this'!

The leak of these kinds tends to open the door to that and the 'oh we only opened the door, we didnt force people to walk through it' defence is naieve as it is culpable.

'We only removed the locks to your house for creative expression, the burgulars stole your stuff'!

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
So the OS is running on a 20% of one core while in the background and up to 50% of the same core while doing some stuff (voice recognition, I guess downloading as well)

Sounds way too optimized for a windows kernel. I kid I kid, actually it sounds pretty great knowing all the functionality in the os.

8 cores total. They are numbered 0 to 7. So up to 7.5~7.8 without NUI.

Nope. Xbox One can maximally use up to 7 cores. 1 core is used by the OS.

Because the 7th core is shared with the underlying system OS, titles will not be able to utilize 100% of the core. Titles are always guaranteed at least 50% of the core and will have at most 80% of the core. The amount of the core that is available will vary based on what is happening in the system at any point in time. For example, when the system must process commands spoken by the user (e.g "Xbox Go To Friends"), it will take up to 50% of the 7th core. After the processing is done, the amount of the core made available to the title will increase again, up to the maximum of 80%."

source: the chm file that was also leaked.

does this mean you could actually see performance drop if you issue voice commands to the console in the middle of playing?

MaxiLive

I can't see this getting that far with the server side authentication, apps will be able to be developed but I'm guessing deploying them onto an actual Xbox will be rather tricky.

cyberheater

So its 1 core + up to 80% of a second one? The its not as optimized as it looked. Thanks for clarifying.

Yes itxaka. That seems to be correct. I guess 80% of a core is still usable and I hope that becomes a full core in a future SDK update.

SPDIF

I am really suprised ms haven't released a c# xna style SDK for making apps for the x1.

That's pretty much what universal apps are, and what the Windows 10 update should facilitate. If you can write a C# app for Windows 10 on the desktop it will also run on the XB1 (and Windows Phones). It's just a question of how open MS are going to be with regards to the XB1 app store.

hodgy100

That's pretty much what universal apps are, and what the Windows 10 update should facilitate. If you can write a C# app for Windows 10 on the desktop it will also run on the XB1 (and Windows Phones). It's just a question of how open MS are going to be with regards to the XB1 app store.

that's pretty awesome.

Blanquito

Really interesting stuff, thanks for the info (especially ekim about the parties and the 6.5-6.8 cores).

The rumor was Sony was reserving 2 cores, even if they weren't using both, just so they wouldn't get burned by not having the power to add some feature that MS had. Now that MS has moved towards using up one of those cores, wonder if Sony will follow suit.

Chobel

does this mean you could actually see performance drop if you issue voice commands to the console in the middle of playing?

Theoretically yes, however it's only one core affected and devs will most likely develop their games around it, so the drop in performance will be little to none.

big_z

I would imagine the windows 10/DX12 update coming in January-ish will change a lot of stuff. I could also see this leak leading to a delay on that update simply for security reasons.

now to wait and see how mrxmedia spins this.

Kayant

Really interesting stuff, thanks for the info (especially ekim about the parties and the 6.5-6.8 cores).

The rumor was Sony was reserving 2 cores, even if they weren't using both, just so they wouldn't get burned by not having the power to add some feature that MS had. Now that MS has moved towards using up one of those cores, wonder if Sony will follow suit.

That's not a rumor btw it has been confirmed by Guerilla games and Naughty dog.

Rembrandt

Banned
Iirc, the secrecy and lack of sharing when it came to finding things out stagnated the PS3's modding scene for a while. It'll be interesting to see what comes from that.

Top Bottom