• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Scorpio Pricing Discussion

The Pro made sense at 399$, which before that was the MSRP for the regular PS4.

A year later, 399$ makes sense for Scorpio. It's not like it's packing bleeding edge architectures or the newest chips. 499$ would get them laughed out of the room.

Yea, it absolutely would.

MS loves that people's expectations are raised so high. When they drop the $399 price point at E3, it'll be a bomb shell. Smart PR stuff.

A $499 reveal at E3? That just sounds dumb.

Going by other internet predictions for console prices, add $100 dollars to whatever people thinks it *needs* to sell at.

Every reputable gaming media outlet is predicting $500 or something in that sort of range, including Digital Foundary themselves, who are the only people to have seen the hardware. I really don't know why so many people refuse to believe stuff which is directly in front of them.

And the idea that Microsoft may be emphasising that it's a premium console so they can suprise everyone with a $399 price tag is tinfoil hat stuff. It's somewhat more likely that Microsoft is emphasising that Scorpio is premium because it is actually a premium console, don't you think? Their whole marketing angle is that the Scorpio is SO much more powerful than a PS4 Pro, and the price will probably reflect that.

So many people were saying that Switch couldn't sell unless it was $199 with a pack in. This has been proven so incredibly wrong.

We didn't know it was shipping with Zelda until January reveal.

Without Zelda switch would not be selling like it is. Attach rate numbers kind of prove that.

If Zelda hadn't been ready, Switch would've shipped with Mario Odyessy, according to pretty much every reputable insider, so we would still have a massively high profile Nintendo game to launch with. Ok, maybe it wouldn't have had the "best game of all time" hype, but still would have been massive, and I think we would have seen the Switch shift significant numbers still. And remember that Zelda is available on Wii U too.

Chris1

And the idea that Microsoft may be emphasising that it's a premium console so they can suprise everyone with a $399 price tag is tinfoil hat stuff. It's somewhat more likely that Microsoft is emphasising that Scorpio is premium because it is actually a premium console, don't you think? Their whole marketing angle is that the Scorpio is SO much more powerful than a PS4 Pro, and the price will probably reflect that.
Go back and read or listen to what they say when bringing up premium.

They ALWAYS compare it to the S when mentioning premium. $399 is premium to a $199 console at the time of its release.

Gator86

The Pro made sense at 399$, which before that was the MSRP for the regular PS4.

A year later, 399$ makes sense for Scorpio. It's not like it's packing bleeding edge architectures or the newest chips. 499$ would get them laughed out of the room.

Yeah, 499$ seems absolutely insane. There's no way they go that high or why bother at all aside from being able to say "technically, an Xbox is the most powerful console, even though no one is buying it."

Let's hope that they haven't bought into their own hype again that the 'value proposition' is worth the extra $100-150 bucks.

I seem to remember them getting that one wrong 3 years ago.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Xbox One is $250. There's no way Scorpio is more than $399. They're not going to be able to get folks to pay twice as much as the base model.

geordiemp

Vortex cooler say 40, Extra RAM say 20, more complex board (bandwidth) R&D and other additional costs

I would say 100 more than Pro = 499

0racle

You guys forget hardware isn't their main income.

Selling at cost, or slight loss at 399.99 gets the Scorpio in peoples homes. Then add live, games, accessories and a consumer for the next few years with Xbox products/ecosystem.

Every company wants money, and trust that they may have more business experience then most of us. Scorpio is simply a tool to Boost the brand's future.

400, 450 at the most. You can't launch $100 more than the premium console competition that has better 3rd party support even if you are the premium console. Scorpio is Microsofts chance at convincing current PS4 owners to come back to Xbox, if they launch at $500 that sector will just be fine with a PS4 Pro.

I don't think Microsoft is worried about taking a loss for increased sales of third party titles on Xbox. Plus who knows, maybe Microsoft worked out a deal with AMD to use their graphics chips in the next Surface product similar to what they did with the Scorpio, you never know.

0racle

In fact, we may even see a 349 model just to stir shit up like Sony did with the Ps4 pricing years ago. That was a bombshell. I think they will want to phase out Xbox one and that would be one way to do it.

EvB

Selling at cost, or slight loss at 399.99 gets the Scorpio in peoples homes. Then add live, games, accessories and a consumer for the next few years with Xbox products/ecosystem.

Every company wants money, and trust that they may have more business experience then most of us. Scorpio is simply a tool to Boost the brand's future.

Also they are sitting on a tonne of engineers and resources that aren't being used for anything, so it makes sense for them to keep making things.

anything higher than 449 is a Microsoft is not going to sell price point. I doubt it will sell that well at 449. They need to hit 399 for it to sell well.

They are going to do what they are going to do, initially. $50 isn't going to be a deciding factor for early adopters. They'll have a $400 sku, that'll run its course this holiday. If they have a $500 sku it'll do its thing when the cheaper ones gone.

After that, the holidays, it's gone struggle at all price points IF their sole focus is on Scorpio.

LowerLevel

I can see MS being cheeky and having $499 on the screen then Phil getting "upset" and "changing" it to $399. Tbh honest that's my hope. I'm still getting it even at $499 but $399 would be so much better.

jdmonmou

Going by other internet predictions for console prices, add $100 dollars to whatever people thinks it *needs* to sell at.

Every reputable gaming media outlet is predicting $500 or something in that sort of range, including Digital Foundary themselves, who are the only people to have seen the hardware. I really don't know why so many people refuse to believe stuff which is directly in front of them.

I still think releasing Scorpio for anything over $399 is a huge mistake, but from listening to Penello on Major Nelson's podcast that sounds like exactly what they will do. They are saying the Xbox One S is the console for the console market and that Scorpio will be for the enthusiast. It'll be like their Elite controller.

I don't get the strategy of doing this. Release Scorpio at $399 and announce some new exclusives at E3 and MS could steal a lot of momentum away from Sony. A $499 Scorpio will not add much value to the Xbox business.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Xbox One is $250. There's no way Scorpio is more than $399. They're not going to be able to get folks to pay twice as much as the base model.

People won't pay twice as much for 1TB and 4x the power?

pieface

I don't really get why people think if the console is over 399 it won't sell. Assuming they can hit 4k for most games, I can see PC games being persuaded by one.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Yea, it absolutely would.

MS loves that people's expectations are raised so high. When they drop the $399 price point at E3, it'll be a bomb shell. Smart PR stuff.

A $499 reveal at E3? That just sounds dumb.

I agree. It will look like MS is taking one for the team to give you all this massive tech.

ManUtd78

Neo Member
In the UK we get bum rushed on pricing anyway my Gears XB1S was £399 ($494 current exchange rate). All business' translate dollars into pounds for no reason.

If the console has elite pad (which I already own), 12 months xbox live, some first party game Im good at £499. My launch PS4/XB1 cost me £550 each with games. Its a matter of whether its important to yourself how much you will pay. I haven't bought a switch at £279 it simply isn't worth the investment for what I play of Nintendo games,
I play MP on both PS4/XB1 so I am happy to invest as it will suit my gaming tastes but not everyone. Just my opinion

$399 to $449 and it will sell decently. Beyond that price point will not help them gain back market share at all -perhaps is it a lost cause already-, but would make sense if their priority is to generate profits regardless of the size of the pie slice they get handed...

Vol5

This will be $399. No way in hell do they want an E3 2013 response to 499. Listen to the whoops of joy when it's announced at 399. MS got crushed that E3 and if it's over 400 they are completely out of touch.

Mergesort

399 + VR Headset + Halo 6 + Forza 10 + Elite Controler + 2TB SSD or bust! Anything else and I am not going to buy it!11!1

/s

Feorax

Has to be $399, absolutely has to be.

PS4 didn't get the start it did just because it was a bit more powerful, it had a lot more going for it, and price was one such thing.

It Scorpio is more powerful than a Pro, but the Pro had the year head start and the software catalogue to make it seem a strong choice for the enthusiast and mainstream gamer alike. Xbox has to follow suit otherwise what's the point?

Sweep14

Also why everyone here seems to think that Scorpio will be available worldwide day one with no supply and/or stock problems ? I'm quite sure that it will be supply constrained for a few months (look what's actually happening with PS4 Pro, 5 months after launch) so going for 499 makes sense with this context

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I think they'll go for $399 to really put pressure on Sony.

Look at how Pro has performed and to whom its selling. That's the result you get from a modest price differential, pretty much guaranteed to be equal or less than the difference between the Slim and Scorpio.

That's how much price matters in the console space, and why cutting into their margins is ultimately self-defeating.

Rolf NB

Applies to Xbox One / S / PS4 / Pro just the same as Scorpio.
We're discussing cost differences between these products leading to price differences naturally.
Mentioning a willingness to eat money on hardware in hope of recouping it later adds absolutely nothing, because it applies to every machine on the market in the same way.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
After 4 years of complete domination, I think it's fair to say....

Yeah that again cause its true. A niche more powerful console wont change anything it will just give the XB1 a sales boost.

Microsoft shouldn't try because Sony already won. Ya this is the dumbest shit I have read today.

There will not be a traditional generation launch anymore. Every new console will be backword compatible, so all your library will carry over to your next console. This will essentially go down to who has most gamers on XBL vs PSN. Not PS4 vs PS4 Pro vs Xbox One S vs Xbox Scorpio sales. Its much bigger than that.

Competition is good for everyone, Microsoft coming out with $400 box will definitely put Sony under pressure. Just because you are winning at something doesn't mean you stop caring. Because we all know how that worked out for RIM, Nokia, Microsoft with their Windows OS and Xbox 360 (I mean how Android and iOS took over the world and how PS3 and PS4 completely turned things around)

Poster isn't wrong so I don't know what's funny

Ya he is not wrong, he is comically wrong lol

*Edit*

a great man once said

"Our industry does not respect tradition — it only respects innovation"
-Satya Nadella

:)

A very big Greek store just added Project Scorpio to its website, with a price tag of €549. They have done the same thing in the past with the Nintendo Switch. They opened pre-orders for €399, and the final price of the Switch in my country ended up being €339.

Even though it's almost sure that this is not the final price, I think it was worth mentioning.

Microsoft shouldn't try because Sony already won. Ya this is the dumbest shit I have read today.

There will not be a traditional generation launch anymore. Every new console will be backword compatible, so all your library will carry over to your next console. This will essentially go down to who has most gamers on XBL vs PSN. Not PS4 vs PS4 Pro vs Xbox One S vs Xbox Scorpio sales. Its much bigger than that.

Competition is good for everyone, Microsoft coming out with $400 box will definitely put Sony under pressure. Just because you are winning at something doesn't mean you stop caring. Because we all know how that worked out for RIM, Nokia, Microsoft with their Windows OS and Xbox 360 (I mean how Android and iOS took over the world and how PS3 and PS4 completely turned things around)

Ya he is not wrong, he is comically wrong lol

I never said Sony should stop caring. The other user said "Put pressure on Sony". There's no pressure on Sony, they are the market leader. It's up to Microsoft to find a way to get back on track...

Still, there's no way that Scorpio can reverse a 60M to 30M deficit

BeforeU

I never said Sony should stop caring. The other user said "Put pressure on Sony". There's no pressure on Sony, they are the market leader. It's up to Microsoft to find a way to get back on track...

Still, there's no way that Scorpio can reverse a 60M to 30M lead for Sony

lol of course they would be pressured. They are running a business. Both companies want to sell as many console as possible. If Microsoft comes out with appealing box for same price, its a big win for MS. Now that doesn't mean they will sell more Scorpio than PS4 Pro, but that DOES mean that Sony will not sell as many PS4 Pro as they would have if Scorpio was $600 vs $400

lol of course they would be pressured. They are running a business. Both companies want to sell as many console as possible. If Microsoft comes out with appealing box for same price, its a big win for MS. Now that doesn't mean they will sell more Scorpio than PS4 Pro, but that DOES mean that Sony will not sell as many PS4 Pro as they would have if Scorpio was $600 vs $400

And that's why all they have to do is to use good marketing, a little price cut and offer good bundles.
Games will make the true difference as always

BeforeU

And that's why all they have to do is to use good marketing, a little price cut and offer good bundles.
Games will make the true difference as always

Right, and they will have to do that because if MS releases this box for $400, they will feel pressured. And there is nothing wrong with that, that's how the whole world works. Why do you guys get so defensive over this?

Sony getting pressured to be more competitive does not mean MS wins and the console you own is less significant. So relax bud.

Right, and they will have to do that because if MS releases this box for $400, they will feel pressured. And there is nothing wrong with that, that's how the whole world works. Why do you guys get so defensive over this?

Sony getting pressured to be more competitive does not mean MS wins and the console you own is less significant. So relax bud.

The should do that regardless of Scorpio's price to keep selling big...

I'm very relaxed, thank you

Top Bottom