• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Scorpio Pricing Discussion

Afrikan

For the folks who say $399.

If Sony delayed their $399 Playstation Pro by one year, do yall believe it would have had 12GBs GDDR5 Ram + 4k BluRay Drive + advanced cooling system + etc?...keeping the same price?

If the Scorpio is priced higher than $499, I think Sony will have a promotion bundling The PS4 Pro with their 4K BluRay player for $499.

I personally hope the Scorpio is $399, like some here...it would make my decision alot easier about getting a second home console.....But, I just don't know how they could achieve it unless if they sell at a loss. And even then I don't know if that would be worth it for them.

Hopefully it leads to the Pro Slim with UHD and maybe more juice. They honestly have to be embarrassed that MS have the go-to 4K BR player of choice right now. What a huge fuckup on their part.

A USB UHD-BD drive add-on is more likely than another console revision.....

If Sony delayed their $399 Playstation Pro by one year, do yall believe it would have had 12GBs GDDR5 Ram + 4k BluRay Drive + advanced cooling system + etc?...keeping the same price?

If the Scorpio is priced higher than $499, I think Sony will have a promotion bundling The PS4 Pro with their 4K BluRay player for $499.

I personally hope the Scorpio is $399, like some here...it would make my decision alot easier about getting a second home console.....But, I just don't know how they could achieve it unless if they sell at a loss. And even then I don't know if that would be worth it for them.

Agreed

notacat

Yep, it could have. Doesn't mean it would have though.

I'm in the $399.99 camp. MS should be able to pull that off with this hardware setup.

So many people were saying that Switch couldn't sell unless it was $199 with a pack in. This has been proven so incredibly wrong.

If Zelda hadn't been ready, Switch would've shipped with Mario Odyessy, according to pretty much every reputable insider, so we would still have a massively high profile Nintendo game to launch with. Ok, maybe it wouldn't have had the "best game of all time" hype, but still would have been massive, and I think we would have seen the Switch shift significant numbers still. And remember that Zelda is available on Wii U too.

Nintendo always sells them their consoles with a hefty profit margin per unit sold. Microsoft and Sony, on the other hand, routinely sell their consoles at cost or even at a small loss per unit sold, especially when the consoles first release.

This idea that MS is going to sell Scorpio with a big markup for profit doesn't align with their history of console launches.

If it's over £350 it's dead in the water. I don't think it's going to sell regardless but if it comes in at £400, it has no chance.

The only saving grace here in the UK is that supermarkets will drive the price down sharpish.

Mindlog

Sony launched the Slim without a 4K drive. I don't see how anyone can give a definitive answer to what a PS4 Pro '17 would look like.

quest

Not Banned from OT

Since Sony wants profits from hardware no. If Sony was willing to take a small loss like during the ps4 launch yes they could. It be 100% worth it for MS to take a small loss on the Scorpio. The Scorpio buyer is going to buy a lot more games and accessories. It would not surprise me to see a surge in elite controller sales from those buying Scorpio as their go to 3rd party machine for competitive games. That really help off set any small loss.

Crayon

The uhd drive is a cost that ms is already eating compared to sony. An extra 4gb of ram and a nicer cooler might ad up to 50 bucks. I don't know. But I don't think the scorpio is vastly more expensive to make. Many are expecting a pricedrop for the pro but I am starting to think they are just going to leave it at 399 and do some bundles.

Crayon

The elite controller is $150 and the Scorpio is going after that same crowd. This will be $499.

As simple as this sounds, this is the only reasoning that makes me think 499 is possible. They have a decent number of people that will pay 500 so why not.

$500 is a great price for a premium system where there is an almost as good version out there for half the price.

They won't touch $600 because of the whole "second job" fiasco a decade ago.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
It's funny, Polaris and jaguar just screams 399, but all the r&d, ram, 4k bluray, cooling, digital foundry, and ms's own build up has me expecting 499. Either way I'll buy, but 499 seems much more likely. Maybe I'll hedge my bet a bit and say 449

Yes, if Sony delayed Pro into 2017, I see the specs you listed but not the UHD Blu-ray and cooling. With those specs, I still expect the price to be $399.

That's why personally I think Scorpio is $399 this fall. And if it's not, it's because of the cooling not the specs.

The Elite controller crowd is approx 1 million people though. Hardly booming numbers for a console proposed with the idea of 'truly moving Xbox forward'.

The Elite controller crowd is approx 1 million people though. Hardly booming numbers for a console proposed with the idea of 'truly moving Xbox forward'.

Except, Spencer has already said this console is for the 'hardcore of hardcore xbox fan', and they have never shy-ed from that in terms of their messaging. It's not even moving Xbox forward, since the X1 still is & will be the baseline development target for the Xbox platform for both 1st & 3rd party for the foreseeable future. MS isn't expecting Scorpio to do booming numbers by their own admission - anyone expecting otherwise is purely dreaming.

Throwing an Elite controller in there would be perfect for that hardcore demographic, and really adds a ton of value at a really low cost.

EGM1966

Good points made in the thread. At this point, from what info's available, seems three main views stand out:

$499 - in line with pricing for the Elite Controller - squarely aimed at premium device - like PS4 Pro intended to lure people who might go to PC to console and to Xbox fans who want superior performance - most likely initial sales spike would be upgrades - main risk is the price is too high, sales aren't high and media starts to spread view it's faltering at retail and isn't making big enough impression - main upside is higher priced sales to probably a lot of Xbox fans who'll jump at the specs even at $499 and they then have reasonable room to drop price over time - MS themselves have noted multiple times the device will be premium

$399 - despite their noting of the console being "premium" it's priced to be competitive with Pro and Sony out the gate and to offer a lot of bang for the buck - MS declare their goal is to make premium affordable - main risk is if the device only appeals to a niche nonetheless (say mainly existing owners upgrading) then it'll be declared by media even at a low price Xbox brand just isn't appealing vs competition - MS would also be stuck with a low price to reduce from - of course if it goes over really well at that price then MS will have chosen wisely

$449 - the middle choice - avoids the high end stigma of $499 while seeming enough above to $399 to still say "premium" - arguably best of both worlds with chance to lure a lot of people to upgrade and to draw in new owners to get what should be best versions of big multi-platform games

It's gonna be interesting to see which way the go (or even if these three most popular views prove to be wrong and the price point is neither of these). I think more than the actual specifications the price is going to be the most important factor for the device given the market it's launching into.

Spencer has never said anything of the sort lol. Only that it's their premium Xbox One, same as the Pro is Sony's premium PS4. And to expect it to cost more than the XB1S but knowing that it needs to be competitive in the market.

And while the OG XB1 obviously still exists. I have no doubt Microsoft will be moving attention to this machine and it's capabilities, whatever they price it at.

The recent news has been keen to make it clear that this is a viable machine for 1080p TV owners too. Not just the 'hardest of the hardcore' who have 4K TV's. So I'm more of the opinion that they are hoping to cast the net as wide as possible.

truth411

Good grief people Scorpio isn't going to be $399! Think of Scorpio as a Pro plus a 4k Blu-ray drive ($15), 4GB more ram ($30), 384 bit bus ($??), bigger APU w/GPU clocked at almost 1200mhz! So you have to cool the darn box to last longer than 6 months. It's cooling solution don't look or sound cheap. Expect $499 just like the XBone original price point but this time its worth it.
One last time for those in the back. You guys are seriously setting yourselves up for disappointment. Also for those saying "It's a year later" that's largely already accounted for, what makes Pro and Scorpio finacialy possible was the 14/16nm chips.

Bsigg12

One last time for those in the back. You guys are seriously setting yourselves up for disappointment. Also for those saying "It's a year later" that's largely already accounted for, what makes Pro and Scorpio finacialy possible was the 14/16nm chips.

$399

EmiPrime

Except, Spencer has already said this console is for the 'hardcore of hardcore xbox fan', and they have never shy-ed from that in terms of their messaging. It's not even moving Xbox forward, since the X1 still is & will be the baseline development target for the Xbox platform for both 1st & 3rd party for the foreseeable future. MS isn't expecting Scorpio to do booming numbers by their own admission - anyone expecting otherwise is purely dreaming.

Throwing an Elite controller in there would be perfect for that hardcore demographic, and really adds a ton of value at a really low cost.

If that's the case what's the point in spending millions of dollars in engineering man hours, research, marketing etc for a console that will sell a couple of million in North America to the die hards and flat line everywhere else in the world? Why would any third party bother to support it (crucial given anaemic first party)?

If this console is just for the 'hardcore of hardcore xbox fan' then Microsoft have completely lost the plot and the sales gap will widen further. I want to believe that they are smarter than that.

truth411

If that's the case what's the point in spending millions of dollars in engineering man hours, research, marketing etc for a console that will sell a couple of million in North America to the die hards and flat line everywhere else in the world? Why would any third party bother to support it (crucial given anaemic first party)?

If this console is just for the 'hardcore of hardcore xbox fan' then Microsoft have completely lost the plot and the sales gap will widen further. I want to believe that they are smarter than that.
Because Third party is already supporting Pro, they can just scale resolution and effects even higher without much, if any effort.

But the thing is, the vast majority of people are going to be buying the $199 PS4 Slim/Xbox One S -- regardless of whether Scorpio is $399 or $499.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
But the thing is, the vast majority of people are going to be buying the $199 PS4 Slim/Xbox One S -- regardless of whether Scorpio is $399 or $499.

No, 399 would make a huge difference to pursued those people buying.

Crayon

This is it tho. This is the best they could come up with.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster

Not really. Look, first things first this is an additional model not a replacement. Its got its place in the market, but its not necessarily the right choice for every buyer.

What it does do is give them a PR coups in that they finally have the most powerful console again, and it gives them an opportunity to show off their flagship software IP in the most flattering way possible.

Its price will fall in the longer term, so that $499 will become $399 or less over time.

The main thing is, any R+D work done on this project was going to have to be done anyway eventually. Lets face it, any "next gen" Xbox is likely going to look extremely similar just with an APU upgraded to whatever's the best fit for their requirements at the time.

Bsigg12

And to that point Phil Spencer has already said they expect the S will outsell the Scorpio this holiday so it's not like it will be shocking when we get reports in January next year saying just that.

Par Score

Everything has been pointing to $499

So it could easily be anything from $450 to $550 depending on what sort of Margin MS is looking for.

That is a quote Spencer himself said when discussing their goals for Scorpio & who its for. Nothing about the Scorpio indicates the sales-gap wouldn't widen between the two platforms, even with Scorpio at $399. Scorpio solves the power difference between the PS4 that the X1 had, but nothing it is doing actually speaks to the primary sales problems MS has actually had this generation with the X1, which is low-reception to software initiatives & lack of WW appeal.

More power doesn't solve either of those problems; Gears & Halo were both already on downward trajectories in terms of reception before the X1 was even launched. Even if the X1 was neck in neck with the PS4 in the US (which it isn't too far off from), that wouldn't change the market reality for the global sales rate.

The X1 didn't flat line globally outside of the US/UK because of price or power, and Scorpio coming in at $399 won't fix their brand appeal issues in non-english speaking countries. 3rd party won't support Scorpio in any way that is more significant than what the Pro currently receives because the development baseline is going to be the X1/PS4 for at least 2 more years. In fact, much of the effort in R&D in the Scorpio is dedicated in helping 3rd party hit higher IQ & performance rates in as little effort as possible because expecting 3rd party to dedicate specialized development resources towards these higher spec machines is futile when software is still selling as well as it is on X1/PS4.

Heck, the Scorpio won't even have software to maintain interest from users who are serious about power in their hardware, since its entire library (even if it did have Scorpio-only titles on day1) will still be playable on PC, which is seemingly one of the primary consumer cases the Scorpio is targeting. However, I don't think that MS has lost the plot. I do think that their long-term goal is to rebuild a positive perception for the Xbox brand with the casual audience, and releasing a all-around well-received box would be some big steps towards that. Sure, they had the X1 S and that gave them a nice boost, but they need more.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
I really think 499 is the max. I just don't see the specs, the timing, or ms's position in the market allowing for anything higher.

I don't disagree that $499 is okay for what it is, said that since last year. I just think they have an opportunity for it to actually sell pretty well if they don't price everyone out of the game.

Plus I don't see the BOM being far away from $400, but we will see what happens.

Kambing

Based on my assumption of how things will play out this year, launching @$499 seems to make the most sense for Microsoft. Launching at $399 is not going to have the same mass market appeal as when this generation started -- I'd rather see the Scorpio not sell at a loss, and be marketed and pried as a premium product, of which it is. For the core a hundred dollar difference is not going to be a difference between yes or no, I firmly believe they will buy one regardless. To have mass market appeal, the price needs to be low enough to compete with Switch and or the base PS4 -- but Microsoft already has the XB1S in that space.

At the end of this year, you have the Switch which will have released a good roster of games, and seems to be building great momentum into the holiday season @ $299. If the past is any indication, Sony will most likely have marketing deals for Destiny 2 and Battlefront 2. They are already confirmed to have a marketing deal for RDR 2. Coupled with what I expect to be price drops ($199-249 base, $299-349 pro), and a HZD pack-in+or any other exclusive, it is a pretty good value proposition.

As someone buying a Scorpio, what would excite me from Microsoft is a showing of what I believe core gamers expect out of a premium console -- RDR@4k, FFXV@4k, Persona 5@4k -- option for 60fps/unlocked FPS mode where able -- or showing any other console only title that plays best on Scorpio. Better than 'boost mode' version of BC games. I would eat that shit up because I want the absolute best gaming device possible, as I am sure half of core gamers do.

Everything has been pointing to $499

So it could easily be anything from $450 to $550 depending on what sort of Margin MS is looking for.

This. All the evidence points towards this price bracket, and the $399 claims are based on nothing but a bunch of people who don't work in the industry making assumptions about what Microsoft needs to do to make Scorpio successful. At least the $499 guess comes from people who actually know their stuff.

But we also don't know what the Scorpio is going to do software wise, what it's going to support (particularly VR), whether there will be some amazing exclusives to showcase what Scorpio can do etc. Microsoft may make Scorpio something much more essential than PS4 Pro, in which case the high price will be worth paying, for some people. It's all about the software and the future direction. It's exciting IMO, and the actual cost of the console is kinda irrelevant anyway until we know what it does for the player in a broad sense, rather than how well it runs a racing game.

Theonik

I don't disagree that $499 is okay for what it is, said that since last year. I just think they have an opportunity for it to actually sell pretty well if they don't price everyone out of the game.

Plus I don't see the BOM being far away from $400, but we will see what happens.
Your unit costs are much higher than your BOM, you need to account for assembly, packaging and shipping which the extra hardware and possibly larger enclosure affect.

anothertech

E3 gonna be a bloodbath.

$499 min
$599-699 would not be surprised

Why? It's MS.

1.3tf Xbone was $499 at launch. 1.3tf 2tb Xbone is still $399 today, even with 5tf PSPro priced the same or lower.

Point is they don't give a sht what Sony does. They are going to launch the most powerful console ever made this holiday. And they are going to price it accordingly. And logic screams that it's going to be priced higher than Xbone launch price.

$599 is a fair educated guess. And people will buy it regardless.

Based on my assumption of how things will play out this year, launching @$499 seems to make the most sense for Microsoft. Launching at $399 is not going to have the same mass market appeal as when this generation started -- I'd rather see the Scorpio not sell at a loss, and be marketed and pried as a premium product, of which it is. For the core a hundred dollar difference is not going to be a difference between yes or no, I firmly believe they will buy one regardless. To have mass market appeal, the price needs to be low enough to compete with Switch and or the base PS4 -- but Microsoft already has the XB1S in that space.

At the end of this year, you have the Switch which will have released a good roster of games, and seems to be building great momentum into the holiday season @ $299. If the past is any indication, Sony will most likely have marketing deals for Destiny 2 and Battlefront 2. They are already confirmed to have a marketing deal for RDR 2. Coupled with what I expect to be price drops ($199-249 base, $299-349 pro), and a HZD pack-in+or any other exclusive, it is a pretty good value proposition.

As someone buying a Scorpio, what would excite me from Microsoft is a showing of what I believe core gamers expect out of a premium console -- RDR@4k, FFXV@4k, Persona 5@4k -- option for 60fps/unlocked FPS mode where able -- or showing any other console only title that plays best on Scorpio. Better than 'boost mode' version of BC games. I would eat that shit up because I want the absolute best gaming device possible, as I am sure half of core gamers do.

Persona 5 huh ?

$450 - $500 is what I've been saying all along, this is a premium system to Microsoft and they're not taking a loss at $400.

This console is for hardcore xbox folks and people they want to lure away from PS4/PC gaming...

It would be suicide to go any higher than $449. I know the hardware is awesome, but $499 is way, way too much for a system that for many people will just be an incremental upgrade.

I think it has to come out at $399 to have any shot at success.

The last two generations have taught us that consumers are not willing to pay $500+ for consoles en masse

Your unit costs are much higher than your BOM, you need to account for assembly, packaging and shipping which the extra hardware and possibly larger enclosure affect.

Yes I meant total not just the build cost. I think they would be at a small loss at worst, which they could make back with some higher priced SKU's sold at a small margin. Similar to what they did with the XB1S.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
thinking about it I could see a 499 2TB launch sku but the normal console has to be under 400. I think if they were really serious about gaining ground it would be 349 but maybe that's not the goal anymore? idk. The PS4 is so far ahead in sales and mindshare this gen they're never going to pull it back but they also don't need to. It can be successful without outselling its rivals.

quest

Not Banned from OT

Actually 499.99 would not be okay for what is in the box. This box is last year's tech over clocked. Now if it had Vega or hbm2 memory I could entertain 499.99. This is a 399.99 box and ms better know this. 499.99 and it is doa.

Lol no. They will always undercut each other. Ps4 with 4k blue ray player will be $100 more than ps4 pro regular at the most, and ps4 pro is practically guaranteed to get a price drop this launch--likely from 400 to 350.

Scorpio's sweet spot is $400-450. Anything higher will screw over MS, especially if its $100 or more expensive than ps4 pro.

Sony

Nintendo

Additionally, MS keeps emphasizing it's a premium products. Looking at Xbox One S and the Surface line, that has to translate into build quality. To put it lightly, PS4 Pro and Slim, especially Slim, feel cheap.

truth411

Hmm seems to be a misconception on GAf that MS expects Scorpio to be the main driver of Xbox sales. I have no idea where this is coming from considering what MS has stated about Scorpio. Scorpio isn't going to be the Xbox one S.

Kambing

Persona 5 huh ?

Lol personally I don't think that will happen -- more so, I took the angle of the types of announcements Microsoft could make to attract core gamers -- I know I would be shocked and excited as hell if they were to announce Persona 5@4k. Maybe Phil's trip to Japan will bring something of that magnitude

Ushay

If it's over £350 it's dead in the water. I don't think it's going to sell regardless but if it comes in at £400, it has no chance.

The only saving grace here in the UK is that supermarkets will drive the price down sharpish.
£350 is very reasonable for what it delivers.

Anything above $449 OR £380 will become a little harder to sell. Brexit will do us in I think.

-hadouken

The recent news has been keen to make it clear that this is a viable machine for 1080p TV owners too. Not just the 'hardest of the hardcore' who have 4K TV's.
Think it's a misconception that 4K is for the hardcore/enthusiast gamer. I have a 4K TV in my living room, though choose to hook my consoles up to a 32 1080P monitor that has 5ms of lag and freesync (interested hear more about freesync for Scorpio). Pro looks stunning on it with supersampling, and I get the real gaming advantage of low latency response.

Top Bottom