• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xboxone Resolutiongate (Eurogamer)

Bgamer90

Banned
Its why its so pointless to compare it to PS2 vs. Xbox/GC, as the PS2 first launched March 4, 2000 in Japan and Xbox launched November 15, 2001 in NA. Which is quite the time span.

I still wouldn't say it's pointless though considering the fact that the majority of PS2 sales (especially in NA) came after the GameCube launched -- not before. A $100 cheaper console with more power was readily on shelves for basically anyone to buy for the majority of the gen but people didn't care. They were attracted to the PS2's features and games for $100 more.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I'm surprised they make a point of saying BF4 is visibly different to most people. Judging from the comparison threads, a lot couldn't. The CoD gulf will be easily noticeable to most people.

But it's too late to have modifications, I don't understand why are they asking something they'll never get.
This sounds like there is more than 32MB of esram and MS don't want to unlock full access. But we know that there is only 32MB.

they're speaking about what they want not necessarily what is practically possible at this point, as in they wish they had more esram but obviously they're not going to get it. Of course there will be no modifications.

I still wouldn't say it's pointless though considering the fact that the majority of PS2 sales (especially in NA) came after the GameCube launched -- not before. A $100 cheaper console with more power was readily on shelves for basically anyone to buy for the majority of the gen but people didn't care. They were attracted to the PS2's features and games for $100 more.

The PS2 dominated the market in a way that the XB1 will not upon its release. The PS2 was the defacto console due to the exclusives and support. 3rd party developers and publishers are unlikely to throw their weight behind one console like that ever again

DBT85

To me, "resolutiongate" regarding all these games seems less to do with actual visuals and much more to do with the overall value proposition.

If the price between these consoles was reversed or even same at 399, i dont think as many people would care. But because the more expensive console is offering less power, while being released same month, it amplifies the whole thing by a million.

Its why its so pointless to compare it to PS2 vs. Xbox/GC, as the PS2 first launched March 4, 2000 in Japan and Xbox launched November 15, 2001 in NA. Which is quite the time span.

This is exactly what I've been saying for a few days. The resolutions are not the story, the fact that the better option is the cheaper option is the story. But plenty of us here have been saying that for months and months, and few websites have felt the same. It has almost been like they just assumed Sony was bigging themselves up once more and that MS really would have some secret sauce to make it all OK.

The article is one of the better written from leadbetter in recent months. Reading it almost felt like the potion that MS had slipped into his drink some months ago was wearing off and he had realised that they'd been talking bollocks all along.

The PS2 dominated the market in a way that the XB1 will not upon its release. The PS2 was the defacto console due to the exclusives and support. 3rd party developers and publishers are unlikely to throw their weight behind one console like that ever again

You also forget the PS2 was one of the first DVD players (or was it "affordable DVD players") when it released, whereas the GC didn't have DVD playback and the Xbox required you to buy a stupid kit.

That was a HUGE selling point for the PS2, iirc. The PS3 had a similar thing (remember all those jokes about how the PS3 was the "cheapest blu-ray player you could buy" back when it "had no games"?)

CLEEK

What is this mythical "dGPU" I keep hearing desperate XB1 fanboys talking about? Does that stand for dual GPU? As in people think there are TWO GPUs in the XB1?

http://misterxmedia.livejournal.com/

The David Icke of videogames.

According to his insiders (aka the voices in his own head), the Xbox One is a 3-4TF machine, with dual GPUs and 64MB of ESRAM. It is just waiting for MS to release a special 'stereo driver' to unlock it.

I think fps is more important than resolution, especially when you cannot adjust performance like on a console. For me resolution is more important than graphics though, which is why I play MP games on high resolution but low graphics to achieve the most stable/high fps possible.

At the end of the day though, I won't play any competitive mp game at any resolution or graphic fidelity if it isn't 60fps.

Skeff

I'm surprised they make a point of saying BF4 is visibly different to most people. Judging from the comparison threads, a lot couldn't. The CoD gulf will be easily noticeable to most people.

The comparison threads were not great except for the jackfrags one. A lot of the capture wasn't great because it was all done at an event, rather than in their own offices with correct set ups, most people were just looking at the DF comparisons, which were less than stellar.

Bgamer90

Banned

I definitely agree. I don't think that any console will dominate like the PS2 did again since the PS2 was a perfect storm -- cheap DVD player + that large PS1 to PS2 graphical jump alongside a ton of games.

However, it is an example of people paying "$100 more for less power" since (again) more people bought a PS2 after the GameCube launched -- at it wasn't like the GameCube had terrible multiplat support either. Many EA games came out for it.

Anyway, it's definitely going to be interesting to see how all of this will play out for the upcoming gen. There have been examples in video gaming of more consumers buying the more expensive product regardless of power but that's usually due to game quality. We won't know how well the games/features on each system are received until after the consoles are out.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
The comparison threads were not great except for the jackfrags one. A lot of the capture wasn't great because it was all done at an event, rather than in their own offices with correct set ups, most people were just looking at the DF comparisons, which were less than stellar.
I know but given DF's own analysis I didn't think they would lay it out like that.

velociraptor

It's because the highly compressed footage negates the IQ advantages of the PS4 footage.

Richard Leadbetter is the Director of Digital Foundary, and known for writing troll articles on Eurogamer.

who wrote
" We love John, but he wasn't privy to the workflow of last week's events"
Article just 2 days ago

and now writes this.

why should i give this guy anymore attention?

Yeah, despite Leadbetter's lack of integrity in his opinion pieces and face-off conclusions, at least it used to be possible to rely on DF when it came to the cold hard facts. With the complete train wreck of the BF4 feature, he is maybe getting a bit worried now. A bit late in my opinion, he threw his reputation out of the window in the last few months.

IvorB

How many more resolution based threads will we have? lol

For sure. We are getting a lot of mileage out of this latest piece of news. DF is right though: MS should have just done a Nintendo and tried to take the focus off specs. But they were too proud to admit the PS4 is just a much stronger system at launch. Now it's blown up in their faces in the worst possible way.

So is Xbone officially the worst games hardware launch in history yet?

RobbieH

This is exactly what I've been saying for a few days. The resolutions are not the story, the fact that the better option is the cheaper option is the story. But plenty of us here have been saying that for months and months, and few websites have felt the same. It has almost been like they just assumed Sony was bigging themselves up once more and that MS really would have some secret sauce to make it all OK.

The article is one of the better written from leadbetter in recent months. Reading it almost felt like the potion that MS had slipped into his drink some months ago was wearing off and he had realised that they'd been talking bollocks all along.

Indeed. The cheaper console is more powerful, easier to develop for, has more sophisticated development tools and Sony has a far richer history of first party titles. Xbox One being technically inferior is merely the latest in a very troubling narrative that began almost two years ago, one that has been grossly misrepresented by the enthusiast press (Eurogamer, Jim Sterling and the occasional Kotaku article aside). That's the story.

Great article from Richard Leadbetter. Can't wait to read posts from people that egged him this past week.

He has always done pretty decent work with wholly unnecessary hatred for it. I said it from the beginning he was just simply not dogging Microsoft and the Xbox One in any particular way in order to get some answers and their own take on what people were saying about the technical differences between the two platforms, and that's what a journalist should do.

He was willing to hear their side, and now you have games being released, and now he's giving his opinion on those, but be forewarned that should there be games down the line that look to be sending a different impression from the earlier releases, he will revisit the subject and people will probably hate him for it. :)

The differences are damn near impossible to see, besides one looking a lot cleaner and smoother, and the other seeming to have more visual pop with what seems a more aggressive lighting. BF4, as far as videos I've watched, is damn near identical on the two systems. I know what the resolution differences are, I know how much more powerful the PS4 is, but I definitely don't see that from just watching BF4 in action, and a lot of others really don't either. There may be people that do, but there's also many that don't see it. And I'm not even just talking from DF's videos. it's the same in videos from other sites also. The similarities in the two games speak far louder than their differences in my opinion. You're more or less left with one version having a cleaner image than the other, but both look excellent and are a pretty solid 60fps.

FranXico

He has always done pretty decent work with wholly unnecessary hatred for it. I said it from the beginning he was just simply not dogging Microsoft and the Xbox One in any particular way in order to get some answers and their own take on what people were saying about the technical differences between the two platforms, and that's what a journalist should do.

He was willing to hear their side, and now you have games being released, and now he's giving his opinion on those, but be forewarned that should there be games down the line that look to be sending a different impression from the earlier releases, he will revisit the subject and people will probably hate him for it. :)

Is this what a journalist (or, in fact, any professional for that matter) should do?

People hate him for many reasons... doing what a journalist should do is not one of them.

IvorB

This is the way I felt as well. He just gave airplay to the MS team in a few articles and people assumed that was his own viewpoint being expressed. The Battlefield 4 thing was a f**k up but mistakes happen. I'm not sure where the witch hunt came from to be honest. The pitchforks are coming out mighty quick these days.

The multiplayer, however, was a completely different story. It's not that the X1 multiplayer visuals looked bad

I think it looked bad. I didn't see any smooth edges in the MP

Edit: I'm sorry I butchered your post. I should have just bolded the part I wanted to respond to. On a mobile phone. Apologies

So let's say in a year or two the price of esram drops. Is it technically possible to add more esram to the X1 without any repercussions?

It's possible I suppose but I highly doubt it will happen. I think the last time a console did this was the PSP? Even then I don't think games ran or looked noticeable better. The problem with making better hardware is devs have to develop first for the lowest denominator of the system, which would be launch specs.

This is the way I felt as well. He just gave airplay to the MS team in a few articles and people assumed that was his own viewpoint being expressed. The Battlefield 4 thing was a f**k up but mistakes happen. I'm not sure where the witch hunt came from to be honest. The pitchforks are coming out mighty quick these days.

Oh, they're quick haha. :)

MS said it all along this was a balance system. Built to be stable and average in performance. I believe it up to the devs to bring the most out of it.

Doubt it. With more intense graphical features being pushed as the gen wares on, the PS4's performance, ram bandwidth and compute advantages will just be more and more apparent. The performance hit ceiling will always remain higher on the PS4 compared to the Xbox One, it's just that ceiling is going to keep changing to be more disadvantageous to the XO, despite optimisations.

This.

badb0y

Did not expect this from Eurogamer considering how almost every other outlet is trying to downplay the difference.

x-Lundz-x

MS said it all along this was a balance system. Built to be stable and average in performance. I believe it up to the devs to bring the most out of it.

No they have been quite vocal about saying the system is in no way less powerful than the ps4 prior to all the facts coming out. Now, quiet as a mouse.

njean777

I definitely agree. I don't think that any console will dominate like the PS2 did again since the PS2 was a perfect storm -- cheap DVD player + that large PS1 to PS2 graphical jump alongside a ton of games.

However, it is an example of people paying "$100 more for less power" since (again) more people bought a PS2 after the GameCube launched -- at it wasn't like the GameCube had terrible multiplat support either. Many EA games came out for it.

Anyway, it's definitely going to be interesting to see how all of this will play out for the upcoming gen. There have been examples in video gaming of more consumers buying the more expensive product regardless of power but that's usually due to game quality. We won't know how well the games/features on each system are received until after the consoles are out.

Your argument is weak because we do not have the same situation happening now, you constantly bring up this argument but forget that the PS2 came out in a totally different time in the game industry. You try to equate that to now, which you cannot do. Another thing you forget is that the PS2 was out a year ahead and already had a huge fanbase also like the 360. You then forget that Nintendo has always been bad with third part developers thus created the dominance of the ps2 as everybody had jumped ship to Sony during the PS1 era. You are trying to bring in an argument that has very different factors then today. Stop please.

frizby

The differences are damn near impossible to see, besides one looking a lot cleaner and smoother, and the other seeming to have more visual pop with what seems a more aggressive lighting. BF4, as far as videos I've watched, is damn near identical on the two systems. I know what the resolution differences are, I know how much more powerful the PS4 is, but I definitely don't see that from just watching BF4 in action, and a lot of others really don't either. There may be people that do, but there's also many that don't see it. And I'm not even just talking from DF's videos. it's the same in videos from other sites also. The similarities in the two games speak far louder than their differences in my opinion. You're more or less left with one version having a cleaner image than the other, but both look excellent and are a pretty solid 60fps.

The relentless pursuit of...eh, close enough.

Metfanant

I hate to defend the guy...but I think those that have spent the past few months blasting Leadbetterand his anti PS4 bias can now shut up...

This is about as scathing an article as you can possibly expect from a mainstream journalist...

Without directly doing so, he is calling MS' bluff on all their chatter...using that quote from the MS Technical Fellow to start this article is a direct stab at MS...

He admits his own comparison article didn't show the true gap...

And he basically lays out his belief that the Xbone architecture just doesn't have the juice (sauce?) To keep up with the PS4...

Eleven more steps to go.
I didn't mean more physical memory, I meant that tiling should be less impactful on xbone than it was on 360, so developers should be able to use more than 32mb for their buffers.
As someone else pointed out to me... why? Why bother? When they can just reduce the resolution to 720p and apparently it's unnoticeable to the world.

USC-fan

Banned
Did not expect this from Eurogamer considering how almost every other outlet is trying to downplay the difference.
Because he is looking at the techical level while most sites are just looking at the videos. On the techical level there is a huge performance difference.

Just like comparing the ps4 version of bf4 to high end pc. There is differences but both look about the same. On the techical level it could be 4k with 4xaa. Huge difference...

Metfanant

this crap with using the PS2 and the Gamecube as an example of a more expensive and weaker console selling better has GOT to stop...if youre making this argument youre one of a few things...

1. a complete MS apologist grasping at straws

2. were not a serious gamer at the time (too young?) and just simply cannot understand what the PS2 was, and what it meant to gaming....the PS2 was THE console to own...it was THE item to own...you just HAD to have it

3. you were a crazy nintendo or halo fan at the time and didnt own a PS2 and spent all day hating on it...

the PS2 was a perfect storm...a beast, a monster...it will go down IMO as the greatest console of all time...the PS4 has some of that feeling around it...but there was just something special about the PS2 launch and its lifecycle that i dont think will ever be recreated

EXCEPT....there is one common thread in all the BF4 comparisons...those that actually saw the game running in front of their eyes on TV's at the event all came to the same conclusion and were damn near adamant about it...the PS4 was the CLEAR winner...

not those of us who got to see shitty DF captures, or crap gifs, or YouTube uploads from consumer level capture devices....

those that PLAYED the games had VERY clear opinions...

Top Bottom