• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda at E3 to have two demos, Nintendo asking press to free up 90 minutes.

DeSolos

90 minutes!? I don't even want to know what the lines will be like... Even with a LOT of demo stations there is no way this will go smoothly.

Aroll

Edit: oh on record that it's two Wii u demos. Damnit, why is Nintendo making it hard to get hype and then heartbreakingly disappointed. This is not how Nintendo E3s should go.

Why would you expect a Wii U and NX demo? They have literally stated there is NO NX AT E3 this year. They previously stated it would be the WII U version of Zelda at E3. Their E3 site also stated this.

Yet, you thought they would sneak a NX demo in there? Before they even announce what the NX is?

Nintendo didn't rip your heart out on this two demo idea. The fact it was an idea at all means you weren't paying attention in the first place.

This E3 is just Zelda, it's the Wii U Zelda, and that's it. Really long demos for supposedly the biggest Zelda game ever created makes a lot of sense when EVERY demo booth is this.

Litri

I doubt there has ever been a demo lasting that long (maybe the Half Life 2 presentation by Gabe Newell in E3 2003) and in my opinion it should bode very well for Nintendo and the game. They want the press to make out a sizeable part of the game experience and to make a proper assessment of the demoed areas.

eXistor

I'm sure it'll be great, I just don't know if I wanna see so much at once. I don't want to spoil myself on the game too much. It's been a while since I've had this much confidence in a new Zelda game, everything I've seen and the things being said about it all just sound like the greatest game ever to me.

I'm sure it'll be great, I just don't know if I wanna see so much at once. I don't want to spoil myself on the game too much. It's been a while since I've had this much confidence in a new Zelda game, everything I've seen and the things being said about it all just sound like the greatest game ever to me.

To be fair, they actually haven't said that much aside for things like Overworld boss fights, the immense detail in the world and how they've taken inspiration from the first Zelda.

I look forward to watching roughly 15 minutes of this and then moving on.

I don't want to watch an hour and a half of a game I'm certainly going to be playing in the future. Discovery is half the fun of a Zelda game.

Obviously, I am disappointed that Zelda is going to be the only Nintendo game at E3, but I'm still excited to get more information about it. 90 minutes is a crazy long time for a demo, but it must mean Nintendo has a lot to show off here. I'm curious if after E3 has ended, we will have actually seen everything the demo has in it.

Still, the fact this game won't be coming out until next year deflates my hype somewhat.

RPGCrazied

And yet can't get 1 demo up on the eShop, but can get a demo at the NY store? Come on Nintendo, throw your faithful a bone.

ReyVGM

Since each people will take different paths and try different things in the overworld, I fully expect the Gamexplain guys to do a ton of analysis videos of the game to last me until next year.

I don't want a demo on the eshop. I get people that do, but for me Zelda is a special experience and I don't ever want to actually play them before getting the game. I want everything for when I get the game.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Dear Nintendo,
I really can't wait for this. Please, Nintendo don't disappoint. This has to be the Mario 64 of this generation, because console gaming this generation is all about Anti Aliasing, resolution, and image quality. We stopped having fun a long time ago in the interest of watching mature storylines play out where we have to occasionally press button prompts and passively play automatic games. This has to be the game people are talking about until it is released. Use the more powerful hardware to give us new gameplay and new ideas we have never seen before instead of just better graphics to make the cutscenes look better.

Thanks Nintendo for listening.

Just this month we had Stellaris, Overwatch, Doom, Battleborn, and Total War: Warhammer which don't fit this mold and that's only counting bigger titles.

Overwatch is also poised to be one of the best selling games of the year and that one doesn't even have an in game campaign, cutscenes, or plotline.

I'm not sure what you were hoping for.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
The calendar on e3.nintendo.com still states the event is between 09:00 AM - 10:00 AM PT on June 14. An hour then. That should be enough to show the majority of at least one demo. I assume the broadcast will continue afterwards with impressions by people on the show floor, where additional details will be made available.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
For me the ideal intro/first 1-3 hours basically needs to be some variation of this:

1. Super Brief Opening Cinematic/Establishing Story(Like OoT, MM or WW. Short and too the point.)
2. Immediate control of Link in a semi open environment that allows newcomers to familiarize themselves with the controls/mechanics but allows veterans to just breeze through without any interruptions. No forced dialogues, prompts or moments of control being taken away from the player. Just a single objective, go here, allowing us to figure it out on our own.
3. Upon completion of starting area provide us access to the full world, with new objective of go somewhere else. There likely being the starting village or even Hyrule Castle Town.
4. Introduce main NPCs and move main plot forward. Again keep is short and simple. Finish with main game objective and relinquish full control and freedom of the world to do it.

I would love the intro to the game to start in a dungeon. Give us an intro story like WW, establishing the world at that moment, with then a super brief intro cinematic of Link entering/wandering around a dungeon, maybe with another NPC or two, with him falling into a trap and then handing control over to the player to get out of the ruins. Players who need direction could use the Select button or whatever the equivalent Helper button is in this game and their NPC friends could shout help down to them. Veterans can just explore the dungeon and overcome the obstacles and objectives without any interruption. No forced dialogues, explanations of mechanics or brief guiding cinematics showing you the door, or lever, or whatever you need to use in a room.

End it with a mini-boss to show us the depths of the combat. Then finish it up with obtaining some plot item, like that Stone Tablet we've seen on Link's belt or something that can be used to drive the plot forward later on. Once we succeed in exiting the dungeon we are in the open world and are then prompted to go back to home or to see X NPC, like the village elder, Princess Zelda, whoever because of what they found or some other reason. Then we again have free range in a wider area, to explore the available world and to get to them. Upon arriving at our destination we'll get some brief character establishing moments, plot moving interactions/dialogues and cutscenes and after that's all done we are back out again in the world with the game's main motivation established and the freedom to explore and tackle it all.

That right there could be the demo. At least up to returning to the village or Hyrule Castle Town where it could cut out right before there or before whatever big main plot establishing cutscene occurs.

Get a mix of the story, gameplay, dungeon design, world design and NPCs. VA could also be such a life saver in Zelda as it would allow for them to tell us all the various stuff they always do, but without taking control away from us. Instead of a dialogue prompt interrupting our play to tell us that we need a key to open a door, or that you should walk up to a ladder to climb it, they can just have an NPC tell us that with onscreen subtitles, but no need to actually remove control from us.

I don't want a demo on the eshop. I get people that do, but for me Zelda is a special experience and I don't ever want to actually play them before getting the game. I want everything for when I get the game.
Agreed
Rösti;204738354 said:
The calendar on e3.nintendo.com still states the event is between 09:00 AM - 10:00 AM PT on June 14. An hour then. That should be enough to show the majority of at least one demo. I assume the broadcast will continue afterwards with impressions by people on the show floor, where additional details will be made available.
Maybe the hour is just the gameplay/developer commentary parts then after the treehouse streams

I was under the impression that the Treehouse stream would be an all-day thing. The initial hour has gotta be Aonuma and Reggie introducing the game. There's no way Aonuma wouldn't be there, right?

I was under the impression that the Treehouse stream would be an all-day thing. The initial hour has gotta be Aonuma and Reggie introducing the game. There's no way Aonuma wouldn't be there, right?

They may do Treehouse separately, playing through the same stuff but maybe going more in-depth or something.

Boney

Banned
c3f.gif

No NX Zelda tho Nintendo pls
That's a bad use of the gif

Jinketsu

90 minutes!? I don't even want to know what the lines will be like... Even with a LOT of demo stations there is no way this will go smoothly.

Considering they still have the same space they always have and they're only putting up Zelda demo kiosks instead of a big slew of games... I'd say the wait in line will probably be 90 minutes at the most.

Ansatz

The game is obviously going all out on the open world aspect, there's no denying that. While I'm personally turned off by the idea, I'm curious to see how EAD tackles this genre. The line "trees don't run into horses" is such a charming Nintendo thing to say and that's why I remain slightly optimistic about the whole thing.

I just hope their new direction doesn't affect the quality of the main dungeons, and that I can easily bypass all the repetitive side activities to reach them.

I might as well skip going in a media blackout for a game that will disappoint me in some ways anyway.

I hope they show a dungeon. I'm very concerned about dungeon complexity given the open structure of the game, comments about Westernization of the series, and especially ALBW.

Boney

Banned
I hope they show a dungeon. I'm very concerned about dungeon complexity given the open structure of the game, comments about Westernization of the series, and especially ALBW.
ALBW dungeons arena any less complex than the other dungeons of 2d games really. It just didn't have a level 8 spike at the end.

AdanVC

80% of replies in this thread are mostly "Yay... I guess " replies. And that's totally understandable because unfortunately, the way Nintendo has been handling their announcements lately has totally ruined the hype towards this game even though the entire show will be dedicated to it. Just wish Nintendo the best and hope they can deliver.

ALBW dungeons arena any less complex than the other dungeons of 2d games really. It just didn't have a level 8 spike at the end.

I mean, they kind of are. They take a problem the Zelda series has struggled with (item relevance) and ramped it up to 11.

Instead of making your past items useful, they removed any need to have dungeons require more than one item. It's improvement through removal and simplification, not refinement.

Ansatz

I fall somewhere in the middle on that one.

People who say ALBW has single-item dungeons are wrong, because many of the puzzles are based on combining the item with the wall merging mechanic, so you still have level 2 complexity puzzles and Zelda games rarely go higher anyway. I also feel the central mechanic has enough depth to carry an entire game, so it was fine in this regard but it only works once. You can only do so much with wall Link. They have to find a new equally deep mechanic if they want to keep this structure going forward.

However dungeon progression has definitely been streamlined. While the individual rooms maintain a high quality, they have been turned into a series of rooms and moved away from the more maze-like design.

Zelda dungeons used to have three phases; the first is rather straight forward until you beat the mini boss and after that the dungeon is almost fully open for exploration. It basically turns into a pretty complex metroidvania level with multiple routes and some of them are gated by the item you receive in the main dungeon chest, once you get it phase 3 starts and that's when the dungeons presents challenges and puzzles based on the new item. This structure is gone now in favor of a much more linear approach, they first started doing this in Skyward Sword though.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
One demo will be showing how Epona avoids all the trees.

The second demo will be to demonstrate the Gamepad implementation that will never be mentioned after this, only to be actually dropped from the actually late Wii u version.

Top Bottom